PDA

View Full Version : Coldest winter ever

caramelbrown23
03-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Hello all,

Has anyone read the book "coldest winter" by sistah souljah?

That is one of the best books I have ever read :D

let me know if anyone has read this book.

Alas1119
03-03-2003, 09:39 PM
I've read it. Although it was laced with too many profanities for my taste, it was a very good social commentary on the way some blacks live a very dangerous and shallow lifestyle that is lacking in substance.

nicko
03-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I read the book and LOVED all except the ending..!

CocoDiva
03-05-2003, 10:47 PM
I read the book and LOVED all except the ending..!

ITA. I hated that the character still didn't seem to have learned her lesson in the end. After all the sh!t she went thru, she was still a fool! But I do feel the ending was realistic, not everyone learns their life lessons.
This is still one of my favorite books.

scurrie
03-12-2003, 09:48 PM
I liked the book A LOT! I didn't like the ending either but it was realastic.

Sasha
03-13-2003, 03:56 PM
That was the best book I'd ever read. I finished it in two days! I haven't read anything that topped it yet and I read that book about four years ago! :D

JazziePizzaz
03-19-2003, 07:26 PM
I loved that book, it kept me on my toes always wondering what she was going to do next. I'm waiting (impatiently) for Sistah Souljah's new book. Whenever that will be :-)

SheShe
03-20-2003, 05:10 PM
That was a great read. I couldn't put the book down.

pet
03-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Another book just as good as The Coldest Winter Ever is "Fly Girl". I forgot the author, but it's by a black author. It's either Sistah Souljah or Omar Tyree....I forget.
:lol:

China
03-22-2003, 03:38 AM
OMG, this book was a page turner! It was good from beginning to end!

cocoarose
03-22-2003, 05:52 AM
I liked this book it was entertaining but thats it...I like sista soujahs fist book no disrespect much better...coldest winter ever though a taste of relaity was much too bleak...never going up just down and I hated the ending also. But Fly girl is hot loved it for years. The follow up though ''for the love of money'' was a blatant disappointment. Just my 3 cents. :D

Tru-Essence
03-23-2003, 11:13 AM
I agree that book was great read and a page turner! :D I was really pulling for Winter!

KinkyCoils
03-24-2003, 08:43 PM
It was a GREAT read! It was definitely my favorite book thus far.

blakgirl
03-26-2003, 02:46 AM
i liked the book. the ending was realistic. it was frustrating, but real.

blak.

essafav
03-27-2003, 06:02 AM
i don't think i read the book most of you read. the closest i think my opinion comes to is cocoarose. i mean, what are you guys talking about? maybe it's just my elementary mind but that book was not that good... AT ALL. my best friend was just raving about this book that "took you there and brought you back" and so she got it for me this past christmas and i found myself struggling to keep reading it. i mean, i love to read and i'll read almost anything but i'm sorry, it just wasn't all that or anything for that matter. my friend's little sister asked me if she could borrow it and i think i'm just going to let her HAVE it. if some one asks me to read it again i might be apt to try but ahhhhhhh, i think that is the worst piece of psuedo-literature i have EVER read (and i used to read harlequin (i know i didn't spell that right) books all the time). please tell me there was a deeper meaning i missed. PLEASE! i agree that no disrespect was better and another book that was EVEN better was colin channer's waiting in vain...

Cia
03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
I also read the book. I was OK. It left me feeling for something more.
So I just took it as a interesting story, nothing more.

CurleeDST
03-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Our book club read the book and was so disappointed we felt like having a book burning. It was trash!

Hello all,

Has anyone read the book "coldest winter" by sistah souljah?

That is one of the best books I have ever read :D

let me know if anyone has read this book.

commoncents
04-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Being from NYC I so related to this book and thought that Sister S did an excellent job of displaying that fast money/drug lifestyle that so many of our people unfortunately get trapped into.

Certain elements of NYC can be so cold and cruel especially if you get caught up in the fast lane. Kuddos to Sister S for revealing an ugly aspect of street life and the destruction of drugs/materialism on our communities.

BklynQueen
04-03-2003, 03:45 PM
I also grew up in NYC where people are like that character in the book. It is sad, but a reality.

EarthTones
04-05-2003, 02:14 AM
I read the book and I liked it.

Would I rate it up there among the top literary masterpieces, no.

But it was entertaining and a good read. IMO every book I read doesn't always have to be so deep...sometimes I need some brain candy and this book served that purpose for me.

AKAHLF
04-06-2003, 06:00 PM
LOVED the book - read it in less than a day and refused to put the book down. I heard that Jada pinkett-Smith bought the rights to the book and plans on making it a movie. Anyone hear that, too?

NappyGirl01
04-07-2003, 04:07 AM
One of the [size=18]BEST books that I have ever picked up.

sistah_gyrl
04-12-2003, 06:45 PM
that book was "the sh!t". i read it while traveling and i couldn't put it down. the characters were very believable and the ending was appropriate. i wished for a happy ending, but i like it that she "kept it real". in all fairness, i don't live in nyc or know anybody in the drug business, but it seemed to flow well from what i've heard and read about the business. i can't wait for her next book.

god bless,
sistah_gyrl

MuthaErth
04-17-2003, 03:33 AM
LOVED the book - read it in less than a day and refused to put the book down. I heard that Jada pinkett-Smith bought the rights to the book and plans on making it a movie. Anyone hear that, too?

I saw Jada Pinkett-Smith and Sistah Souljah on HBO about 3yrs ago during Black History Month and they were talking about doing a HBO movie. I haven't heard anything since :? Wonder why?
Who do you think would play a good Winter?

NappyChick
04-18-2003, 06:48 PM
I thought this was a very interesting book. It was a real page turner. I don't consider myself sheltered but i don't know anyone like the characters in that book and I found myself intrigued.

I heard Jada was going to play Winter. . . .

HarrieNaps
04-23-2003, 07:59 PM
I read the Coldest Winter ever , I thought the book was very good and very true to life.

It get two thumbs up from me.

Exult
04-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Read it Loved it passed it on to my Mom who Loved it also.

White01
04-24-2003, 03:39 PM
The book is off the hook. I read it two years ago and I could not put it down. There are alot of women out there that live like that.

shugnatural
05-09-2003, 07:18 AM
I recently read this book and really enjoyed it. I was actually kind of surprised that I would like it so much. I had never read anything else by Sista Souljah and was for some reason expecting it to be somewhat of a light weight novel. But how wrong i was!!! This novel was deep. I definitely know people or know of people like those in the novel. One of the best things about it is that she kept the ending realistic instead of a typical happy ending. This should be a must read in grammar/high school. So many young black kids think that the lifestyles/values depicted in the novel(BLING BLING) are hip and cool.

blumoonbabe
05-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by shugnatural@May 9 2003, 02:18 AM
I recently read this book and really enjoyed it. I was actually kind of surprised that I would like it so much. I had never read anything else by Sista Souljah and was for some reason expecting it to be somewhat of a light weight novel. But how wrong i was!!! This novel was deep. I definitely know people or know of people like those in the novel. One of the best things about it is that she kept the ending realistic instead of a typical happy ending. This should be a must read in grammar/high school. So many young black kids think that the lifestyles/values depicted in the novel(BLING BLING) are hip and cool.
:nohuh: too true, too true

lilkinkyc
05-12-2003, 10:32 PM
I just started reading this book. I will post my review on it when I finish.

WorldsOfCurls
05-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Mar 30 2003, 07:29 PM
Our book club read the book and was so disappointed we felt like having a book burning. It was trash!
I'm sorry but I really didnt like the book. I am not one to do this because I always give books I start a chance but after around page 20 I took the book back to the store and got my money back. I just counldnt get through it. I dont speak the way she writes and dont feel like it is a true reflection of life that was around ME and only ME and I live in NYC Brownsville to boot!

D*Ja
05-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by AKAHLF@Apr 6 2003, 12:00 PM

Yup that's true. Jada was actually interviewed by Sista Souljah in the latest edition of Essence.

Plus part two of the book will be released somtime next year.

Slim_E
05-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BklynQueen@Apr 3 2003, 11:45 AM
I also grew up in NYC where people are like that character in the book. It is sad, but a reality.
ITA

I loved the book

Mrs.Sco
05-19-2003, 04:55 AM
I have mixed feelings about the book.

Yes it was definitely an easy read and something that you can just read and not have to think a lot about it. My cousin and I talked about it and we did think that it could be easily made into a made for tv movie.

But I really thought it was intriguing to read about a young girl's coming of age story(usually it focuses on males) in a drug family and to her struggle to maintain that type of lifestyle at any cost was just mind boggling to me.

For those who were surprised at the ending...I wasn't. You live by the sword you die by the sword. I thought she should've gotten killed at the end. It would've made it more interesting.

Even though its not really my style of book to read, it was nice brain candy for the moment and I may see the movie when it comes out.

KinkyCoils
05-22-2003, 06:20 AM
I know this really has nothing to do with the book itself but I just saw a post saying that Jada bought rights to the book and might play Winter??? :nohuh: I just like to say I think if they really ever do a movie about this book it should not have Jada in it. She's too too old to play Winter. I was think Megan Good from Biker Boys and Eve's Bayou. She's gorgeous just like Winter is/was suppose to be.

kizzie
05-22-2003, 03:51 PM
I like the book alot. I thought the ending was realalistic, the charater seemed to stick with what she was taught and raised on.

Has anyone read her first book "No Disrespect" that is an excellent book, I believe it is aboput her life, and well told.

bambino
06-05-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by JazziePizzaz@Mar 19 2003, 02:26 PM
I loved that book, it kept me on my toes always wondering what she was going to do next. I'm waiting (impatiently) for Sistah Souljah's new book. Whenever that will be :-)
I would have to agree.

that book was the bomb. i am also waiting for her next release

YoungLioness
06-06-2003, 07:02 AM
I read the book and thought that it was good. Sistah Souljah seems to write from her past experiences. This book might help fast *** little girls realize that everything doesnt always work out.

I also agree that Jada is way too old to play Winter and I also think she will not do certain scenes that might enhance the movie, but its a done deal so we will have to wait and see.

nubiandymond
06-18-2003, 01:17 AM
this book was straight up garbage. Had to be one of the worse books that i have ever read.

the only good part about it was how souljah wove herself into the plot

Divinaty
06-19-2003, 04:44 AM
i really liked the book. it played out just like a movie in my mind, so i think that the actual movie should be good. this is the first book i had ever seen the author put themself into the plot. i thought that was funny.