PDA

View Full Version : Just to let you know....

blufaerie
01-22-2004, 01:34 PM
I just thought I would share this wonderful news with you all. My daughter, 9, asked me the other day to start her locs! Before, she wanted to wait until she turned 10, but she has been begging me since the new year began. Last night, I two strand twisted he hair for the last time!She is so excited! I am too. I do feel a little sad, though.:cry: I mean, I have been the only person to comb her hair all of her life. She has beautiful hair that takes at least an hour to do. This was our bonding time. :amour Not that we wont have it, Its just she is growing so fast. I am amazed. I dont know...Maybe its just me.

rockinlocs
01-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Awwww...you'll still have that bonding time when you're grooming her locs!

But that's sweet that she let you know she's ready to loc now. You have to come join my group for parents of locked kids!

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/kidzlocs/

Exult
01-22-2004, 02:16 PM
blufaerie

Ahhh How super Sweet.. I'm not loced, nor do I have a daughter, but I think this is too cute not to give you some love and encouragement!

aquababie19
01-22-2004, 03:36 PM
how beautiful! i was gonna say the same thing rockinlocs said. yall will bond still over grooming locs. :)

ShekinahSoul
01-22-2004, 03:41 PM
How very precious. :blab

You know what really made me smile was that you saw the hour to do her hair as bonding time. :thumbsup I've been on Black message boards where mothers were complaining they have to spend so much time on their daughters hair (hence the ever present thread of "How old should my daughter be before I can give her a perm?" :doh )

I'm glad she is ready to loc. It's nice seeing the children loving their napps and desiring napp styles. :)

ShekinahSoul
01-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Jan 22 2004, 09:53 AM
Awwww...you'll still have that bonding time when you're grooming her locs!

But that's sweet that she let you know she's ready to loc now. You have to come join my group for parents of locked kids!

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/kidzlocs/
That's a really cool group you have. I wish you well on your group :)

blufaerie
01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanx, everyone for the love and support! As soon as I get home, I will jump on into your group, Cherie! Arin is really excited and I am sure she will enjoy her journey! 8)

paulicia
01-22-2004, 05:21 PM
I just visited that link and ended up a member!

I really want to loc my 2 year old's hair, but my husband says no way. He's so bent on her having that thick long 'Rudy Huxtable' fro that she's developing. I've two strand twisted it many times and it is so cute that way, but then I have to take it down before it locs.

My son wants locs, he's 4, but that little rascal hates to have his hair combed! (hubby doesn't mind THE BOY having locs!)We actually let it grow out to about half an inch once so it could get long enough to loc, but if you've ever had to hunt for and chase a child down, then wrestle him to the floor and wrap your legs around him and get him into a headlock(while he's kicking, scrating and biting):crutch just to get a comb near his lint-filled head , then you understand why he's sporting a baldy for now!

(Not to mention those teachers who like to sit and watch them dump sand into their hair during recess!)

kianga
01-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Congrats on locing up your daughter! I started my daughter's locs the same way.

[/QUOTE]Awwww...you'll still have that bonding time when you're grooming her locs![quote]

That is SO true. How are you going to maintain her new growth?

maltiti
01-22-2004, 07:13 PM
This is such a wonderful thread!

As some of you may know, I have a toddler (3 years-old) and have always questioned her "readiness" for locs.

I mean I want to lock it up now but then the other part of me is like, "I should let her decide when she's ready".

Mind you, she's always playing with "Momma's dreadlock" and has asked on several occassions.

My other thing is that I maintain 92.5% at a loctician. :razz. So one, I don't know if I can even start my daughter's hair and two my loctician doesn't really like doing young children's hair.

Rockinlocs, I'll be on your board in a bit. Surely, the answer to a lot of my questions and concerns have been voiced before...

Again, thanks for this thread

Natasha
MyDreadlocks.com (http://www.mydreadlocks.com)

blufaerie
01-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by kianga@Jan 22 2004, 08:00 PM
Congrats on locing up your daughter! I started my daughter's locs the same way.
How are you going to maintain her new growth?
Well, I will latch it, just like I do mine. Actually, sometimes, if she sees a loose loc, she will latch mine for me. So, she is way ahead of the game.

A lot of her friends, and ALL of her cousins on my x-husbands side are relaxed, and I asked her how she felt. she said,"They dont know what they are missing." My child is self confident, and strong. I dont know what to say about that. She walks around the house, swinging her twists, saying "my locs are gonna be the BOMB!" and my son (7, wants locs, but hates the comb) says, "Oh, yeah....some bomb..." Too funny.

W8N2XHL
01-25-2004, 12:26 AM
,"They dont know what they are missing." My child is self confident, and strong.

Your Princess is wise beyond her years (check for gray hairs). I love my daughter in twists. It is a style so becoming to her face and her personality. She does not want to loc, however. Lately she has been wanting her hair pressed and curled. I ain't having that. I tell her that she can do many many styles with locs, but she just isn't ready. I really wish she were, though.

Stealing an idea I saw posted on another thread, when she is ready to loc, I plan on clipping a few strands of her hair and wrapping them in one of my locs. I will in turn clip some of my fuzzies and incorporate them in one of hers. We will truly be bonded.

mommytimes2
01-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Oh Bluefairie, I think it's wonderful that you and your daughter can bond over the locks!!! My daughter's way of hair bonding with me is to have us shake our hair together. This only works when she is cooperating with having her hair braided.

blufaerie
01-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mommytimes2@Jan 25 2004, 06:05 AM
My daughter's way of hair bonding with me is to have us shake our hair together. This only works when she is cooperating with having her hair braided.
OMG!!! Too funny! I used to do that with my mom!

You know, it doesnt seem like much now, but I know I appreciated the time my mom spent on my hair. In turn, I hope my daughter will appreciate our special time together.

I know what you mean about the hair braiding and cooperation. My daughter was the same way when she was smaller.

About what someone said about incorporating some hair, I thought about doing that same thing for my children! What a beautiful thing! :rainfro