PDA

View Full Version : Washing Locs

Patrina
01-23-2004, 04:33 PM
I wanted to wash my coils tonight and I was wondering what would be a good method. Do I use my fingertips, stocking cap, etc? What is a good method that won't disturb the coils drastically but still allows for a thorough wash? Thanks in advance.

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Use your fingers, without the stocking cap. Some of your hair will unravel, but at least they are clean. Where will the dirt go in the stocking cap?

Patrina
01-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I heard that somewhere. Even my loctitian said that is how he would wash it for me. I was going to go and have him do it (hair hasn't been washed in the longest and I am going :-cre )but I am not waiting any longer. That is getting too expensive anyway with school so I am doing it myself.

I guess you are to use a thin part of the stocking so that the water can flow through. But if it is so thin why not just use your fingers? :-? Anyway, thanks for the info.

Patrina

Patrina
01-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Also, should the water spray be minimal? Or does that matter? Thanks again

Patrina

ShekinahSoul
01-23-2004, 05:18 PM
The spray should not be full force. I personally would just stick my locs under the faucet and leave the spray nozzle. Just pretend you just got a perm and you scalp is on FIRE. Yep, use the same gentle force of water and the same gentle method for washing the locs. :lol

Schiffon
01-23-2004, 05:25 PM
I've never done it, but in a recent thread, one of the members suggested using a pastry brush to concentrate on your scalp without disturbing the baby locs as much. Like I said, I've never done it, but it sounds like a viable option.

Patrina
01-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks ladies. I am taking on this adventure tonight after I finish my bro's starterlocs. :thumbsup One more on the Loced Side. I'll let you know how it goes.

Patrina

Beryl
01-24-2004, 01:21 AM
As my sister (Silvalocs) says -- "wash your locs as you would fine lingerie".

sharynleigh
01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
In between visits to my loctitian I wash my own hair. I bought a stocking cap and use it while I am sudsing my hair. This allows me to scrub a little harder without disturbing my twists too much. I rinse as much as I can with a heavy spray and then I take the cap off and gently rinse some more. The dirt is rinsed out this way.

silkgirl2
01-24-2004, 06:37 AM
I was always told to gently use you fingers to scrub you scalp and then rinse.

Patrina
01-24-2004, 09:12 AM
I DID IT!! :yaisse2 :dance: :yaisse3

I washed my hair earlier and I just finished retwisting my hair. Ooooohhhh, I feel so good. And here's the kicker. . . NOT ONE TIP UNRAVELED!! :app I was tripping hard because I feared that they would unravel completely (I have a way of making easy ish hard :-x ) and not one came aloose. Not even the small ones at the back that tend to work my ever lasting nerve.

Woooooohoooooo!! I dancing ya'll. I doing the Electric slide, the Bunnyhop, the typewriter :huh and just when I am sure ain't no one watching. . . I'ma do the Robot. :razz Can you feel how I feel right now? Aiight, let me stop. . . . :tiptoe I think I might have pulled a muscle :cry:. . .that's kewl though cuz my hair still looks good.

And I have buds. Hot damn! I got buds. Oh how I am loving my loc journey. Can you tell? :-) AND I started my brother on his loc journey too. Shyte I do a little shimmy for him too. :yaisse2

I'll add pcis I give my word. If I try to handle that digital camera right now I might drop it. So I'll wait until I have my wits about me. :)

Patrina

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. . . .

LBellatrix
01-24-2004, 01:23 PM
LOL! Congratulations! :app

toy
01-24-2004, 02:16 PM
party ovah at Patrina's!! congrats, lady! :yaisse2 :yaisse3

ShekinahSoul
01-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by toy@Jan 24 2004, 09:16 AM
party ovah at Patrina's!! congrats, lady! :yaisse2 :yaisse3
I got the rootbeer :-)

mochacaremel
01-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Congrats! I am happy for you and me both, because now I know just how I want to wash my hair from reading this thread!
So...can I join the party?
I got the low carb Atkins wraps from Subway!

*Ugh, I can't wait til this diet is over...LOL

Mocha

blacque_gurl
01-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Schiffon@Jan 23 2004, 12:25 PM
I've never done it, but in a recent thread, one of the members suggested using a pastry brush to concentrate on your scalp without disturbing the baby locs as much. Like I said, I've never done it, but it sounds like a viable option.
This is a great idea! :thumbsup

blacque_gurl
02-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Schiffon@Jan 23 2004, 12:25 PM
This gave me an idea... here's what i did. I got a toothbrush (kiddie size bcuz the head is smaller) and dipped it in witch hazel with a teeny bit of baking soda and scrubbed my scalp really good in between each twist. (For some reason this was making my scalp itch MORE!) I then did a couple of ACV rinses. Now, by the time i went to drive my girls to school my head itched so bad that i had to literally clutch the steering wheel while talking to myself to keep from digging in my scalp with both hands (or driving into a pole). This lasted for about 20 minutes -- I guess until it dried. But the cleaning was very successful and i have been itch free ever since. I'm not sure if i'll try this again... that itching nearly drove me mad! :-cre I don't know where the itch came from; I inspected my hair and scalp afterwards and they were squeaky clean. :-P

Patrina
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I was able to wash my hair again ya'll and it was very good. I just did what LotsOfLocs and ShekinahSoul suggested with just using my hands with a low spray. And I am very please with the results. :app

Unfortunately, I only lasted a week and a half before I needed to wash and retwist again but it's all good. I'll try for a little longer next time. I appreciate everyone's help. :thumbsup

If you ladies could see all the buds I have now you can bet I am dancing like a fool again. :dance: Someone was bringing rootbeer and subway wraps. :(hu Someone else needs to get a loced skripper cause I feel like I deserve something illicit after freeing myself completely of anyone doing my hair. :daz I feel so good ya'll. 8) I'll post pics later.

Patrina

blacque_gurl
02-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Buds after only 1.5 months?! You go gurl! Congrats on your 2nd successful wash also! I think i'm gonna have to just take it to the shower too. Bring on the pics!

NaturallyJade
02-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Patrina@Feb 3 2004, 12:30 PM
I was able to wash my hair again ya'll and it was very good. I just did what LotsOfLocs and ShekinahSoul suggested with just using my hands with a low spray. And I am very please with the results. :app

A great feeling knowing you can take care of your own locs. I had buds the first time I did it myself (three weeks.) I am budding like crazy now. My hair is shampooed weekly. I use water & EO on my locs several times a day. I really think that helps the process.

cateyesmd
02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by blacque_gurl@Feb 3 2004, 12:51 PM

This gave me an idea... here's what i did. I got a toothbrush (kiddie size bcuz the head is smaller) and dipped it in witch hazel with a teeny bit of baking soda and scrubbed my scalp really good in between each twist. (For some reason this was making my scalp itch MORE!) I then did a couple of ACV rinses. Now, by the time i went to drive my girls to school my head itched so bad that i had to literally clutch the steering wheel while talking to myself to keep from digging in my scalp with both hands (or driving into a pole). This lasted for about 20 minutes -- I guess until it dried. But the cleaning was very successful and i have been itch free ever since. I'm not sure if i'll try this again... that itching nearly drove me mad! :-cre I don't know where the itch came from; I inspected my hair and scalp afterwards and they were squeaky clean. :-P
You may have had a reaction to the witch hazel. I know I once used a spritz with witch hazel or seabreeze (the other product people recommend for cleaning the scalp) and I had the same reaction. My scalp itched mercilously. I never used the product again.

blacque_gurl
02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
cateyes,
i think u are right.. i don't know why i never thought of that.. :doh

bluephiyah
02-10-2004, 11:15 PM
hi,

i know this sounds silly, but what are buds? i mean, i get the general idea of a budding loc, but do they look like? when does budding usually happen? :huh

thenewme
02-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Mzfitbodi@Feb 9 2004, 07:23 AM

A great feeling knowing you can take care of your own locs. I had buds the first time I did it myself (three weeks.) I am budding like crazy now. My hair is shampooed weekly. I use water & EO on my locs several times a day. I really think that helps the process.

[/quote]
Mzfitbodi, what is EO? I am spraying my hair with distilled h20 and olive oil or 100% aloe vera juice. I just started so i am always looking to see what works for others.

Patrina
02-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by bluephiyah@Feb 10 2004, 06:15 PM
hi,

i know this sounds silly, but what are buds? i mean, i get the general idea of a budding loc, but do they look like? when does budding usually happen? :huh
IMO, buds are like a visual indication that your hair is beginning to lock. It looks like a bubble or bump in the middle of your loc. HTH

Patrina

NaturallyJade
02-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by thenewme@Feb 10 2004, 08:09 PM

Mzfitbodi, what is EO? I am spraying my hair with distilled h20 and olive oil or 100% aloe vera juice. I just started so i am always looking to see what works for others.
..sorry about that EO = Essential oils.
I add rosemary, ylang ylang, sage, rose geranium, sandalwood, jojoba, and coconut oil to my daily hair spritz.
You can add whatever smells nice. The essemtial oils I mentioned are all hair stimulants.

bluephiyah
02-13-2004, 01:36 PM
patrina, does the bubble or bumb have to be in the middle of your loc? can it be at the end?

Patrina
02-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by bluephiyah@Feb 13 2004, 08:36 AM
patrina, does the bubble or bumb have to be in the middle of your loc? can it be at the end?
It can be anywhere on the loc. HTH :thumbsup

Patrina

tdhayes
02-13-2004, 05:23 PM
bump

bluephiyah
02-13-2004, 08:30 PM
would it make sense to have buds after only a week? i dunno if i'm seeing it wrong, but according to what you told me, i think i have some buds. i even told my boyfriend that definition of buds, and he said it looked like that's what i have, at the ends and some in the middle. i dunno what my hair is on a classification scale, but i know it's super curly. when i had my lil fro, i could twist some hair (no prodcuts added) and it'd stay the whole day.

Patrina
02-15-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by bluephiyah@Feb 13 2004, 03:30 PM
would it make sense to have buds after only a week? i dunno if i'm seeing it wrong, but according to what you told me, i think i have some buds. i even told my boyfriend that definition of buds, and he said it looked like that's what i have, at the ends and some in the middle. i dunno what my hair is on a classification scale, but i know it's super curly. when i had my lil fro, i could twist some hair (no prodcuts added) and it'd stay the whole day.
I'm no expert but I am sure it is possible. Everyone's hair will loc differently. I only noticed buds after 3 weeks but who knows I might had a few earlier :-P They might become more noticeable later on so you will have no doubt whether you have buds or not. Good luck. :thumbsup HTH

Patrina