PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Shampoo Their Hair...The Verdict is In

twistedmama
03-02-2003, 05:47 PM
I am not on the no poo method because I like to wash my hair. :)
I wear twists in my hair for five days and the remaining two days I wear a twistout. Lately, I have been developing buildup on my scalp that is driving me crazy. :x I have been using Cream of Nature for a while and although it moisturizes my hair, it is doing nothing to clean/clarify my scalp. I wash twice and still notice the buildup on my scalp.

Just wondering if my napptural sistas could give some shampoo recommendations? It could be natural or not, expensive to inexpensive does not matter, I am willing to try anything.

Thanks,

ollypitts2
03-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi twistedmama, :)

When I shampoo, I use Dr. Bronner's Almond Soap diluted with at least 3 parts water. I think others have used it just to clarify, but I use it all the time. Its leave my scalp and hair feeling clean and fresh. My hair usually looks great after a good shampoo w/Dr. B.

A more expensive alternative would be Kenra's moisturizing shampoo. It doesn't leave a build-up and leaves hair soft. Its worth the money, if you've got it to spare.

webjockey
03-02-2003, 07:00 PM
elucence moisture balancing conditioner - it's not a clarifyer but I never had any problems removing dirt/product buildup. Acutally I dont feel the need to clarify my hair at all.

you can also try shikaikai (sp?) powder - it's usally found in indian/pakistani grocery stores.

jacura
03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I use Dr. Bonners Peppermint Soap....undiluted...a few drops will do ya :)

maiyanna
03-02-2003, 07:32 PM
I like to use shampoos with moisturizers in them . One that I'm using right now is Dudley's moisturizing shampoo- it does a good job at clarifying too. I find that other general shampoos that aren't specificaly made for black hair - strips away a lot of the nutrients and natural oils that my hair needs. Our hair is already dry enough- no need to make it dryer :?

lydicarol
03-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Avalon Organics Lavendar Nourishing Shampoo.............

elleebeme5
03-02-2003, 09:32 PM
I use Ebene Naturals Shea Butter shampoo followed by an ACV rinse; Aubrey's JAY probably doesn't contribute to build up.

blakgirl
03-02-2003, 09:40 PM
i kinda had the same experience with D&L 3-n-1 Detangling Conditioning Shampoo [shady! :mad: i digress]. i decided to mix it up an i used ABBA Molasses Purifier. i think it did a pretty good job of cleaning my hair without stripping my hair.

blak.

Medusa Negrita
03-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Is your build-up from the shampoo and prods or the oil in/on your scalp? I get build up but it's usually from the oil on my scalp. I wash my hair and about a week later I scatch my scalp and oily grit under my nails.

I do a good amount of brushing before I wash and shampoo. My favorite brush is a Vidal Sasson small-medium purple boar bristle brush (has to be a firm brush to reach into the scalp, not a soft one). If your hair is thick, you may have to part your hair in medium to large section and brush from roots to end each section. If your hair is kinda try or tangly, try spritzing it with water or a little moiserizer, then comb out the section, then brush the section (scalp to end, or at least scalp to middle. The purpose it to bring the oil and grit up and off the scalp and out to the hair).

After brushing, I preceed to wash my hair in the shower. I wet, apply shampoo as best as I can (sometimes my hair doesn't lather well on a first shampoo, but if yours does, there may not be a need for a 2nd shampoo). While there's shampoo in my hair, I add a hadful of vinegar with the shampoo and lather. Rinse, condition, and ACV rinse. I really like the ACV rinses and use those every time I shampoo my hair. It's keeps any kind of product buildup at bay it's just like I'm starting with a fresh hair every time I have to moisterize or whatever.

If you have oil buildup, that's a bit of different story. You'll continue to get that about a week or so of washing your hair because you scalp is going to keep making oil and skin (epidermal) cells on scalp will continually be shedded (hence the oily grit that I get under my fingernails if I scratch my scalp). This is one reason why I do not use no-poo and like washing my hair with the routine above, and why I also brush my hair before washing - to loosen all that up and lift if up from the scalp. I also use this as a rough estimate of it being time to wash my hair, even tho I generally wash my hair 1x week or every other week. Depending on your style (I try to make mine last between washing), you may consider brushing in between washing, but do brush right before you wash. That should help for both oily scalp buildup and product buildup.

sjdancer
03-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Avalon Organics Lemon Verdana (a clafying shampoo)]

blakgirl
03-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Is your build-up from the shampoo and prods or the oil in/on your scalp? I get build up but it's usually from the oil on my scalp. I wash my hair and about a week later I scatch my scalp and oily grit under my nails.

you probably weren't asking me, but what the heck? it was the oil in/on my scalp, but i think the problem was the shampoo wasn't thoroughly cleaning my scalp.

blak.

truepeace
03-02-2003, 11:25 PM
When I have scalp buildup i dampen my hair using a spray bottle and make a paste with wather and baking soda. I apply it to my scalp to exfoliate. It does a great job. I usually follow with Giovanni's Triple Treat Tea Tree Shampoo or Taliah Waajid's Herbal Cleanser Shampoo

Midoria
03-02-2003, 11:31 PM
ORS Shampoo or Dr. Bronner's with a little shikakai mixed in.

Nx2brat
03-02-2003, 11:56 PM
I just add tea tree oil to my shampoo... it works well for removing product build up.

Brat :silly:

twistedmama
03-03-2003, 01:07 AM
Thanks for responding so quickly ladies.

@ollypitts2,jacura,Midora - Thanks for the Dr. Bronners Peppermint suggestion. I have tried Dr. Bronners and have diluted it almost down to nothing. It didn't work for me. Believe me I wanted it to. It left a residue
on my hair and body.

@webjockey - I currently use Elucence Moisture Balancing Condition, but only as a conditioner. I havehave their shampoo that goes with the conditioner. While it moistures, it does not clean the scalp. I spoke
with the distributor and she suggested that I buy their Clarifying shampoo to go along with the moisture balancing shampoo. I did not see the need so I have not brought it.

@maiyanna - Thanks for the Dudley's suggestion. I will look into it.

@Lydiacarol & sjdancer - I actually went to whole foods today and brought Avalon Organic Rosemary Shampoo. (After I wrote this thread :D ) I have not used it yet, but I will let you know what happens. What
were your experiences witht the Lavendar Nourishing and Lemon Verbana shampoos? Was your hair soft after shampooing (prior to conditioner)?

@elleebeme2 - I will look into the Ebene Natural Shea Butter Shampoo. I have tried Aubrey's shampoo & conditioner products and they did not moisturize my hair.

@blakgirl - Thanks for the ABBA Molasses Purifier suggestion. I will check it out.

@Medusa Negrita - The shampoos don't cause the buildup. I think the it is from the oils on my scalp (or the ones I apply to my scalp) I just remembered that I made a grease w/ castor oil, shea butter & rosemary
and put that on my scalp before twisting my hair. I use a different pomade for my hair. Since it was getting colder, I thought putting some oils on my scalp would help prevent the dryness. I think the castor oil
was too heavy and has lead to the ickiness that is on my scalp. But the scenerio you gave about scratching your scalp and getting that oily grit under your nails is me with a capital TEE!
I typically comb out my hair in the shower while wet to get any tangles before I shampoo (it is very thick and I do section my hair to shampoo). But I may have to comb up the scalp also to get that leftover junk up.

@truepeace - Thanks for the water and baking soda suggestion. I will definitely try it.

@Nx2brat - Thanks for the tea tree oil suggestion. I have been looking into this oil for a while. Still doing research. :D

Peace,

ashrob123
03-03-2003, 03:18 AM
Since you're already on your way to Whole Foods, you may want to check out the Kiss My Face shampoos. The are certified organic and are aromatherapeutic (if that matters to you). I currently use the Miss Treated shampoo (for damaged treated hair) or the SaHaira Shampoo (for dry hair) *don't you just love the names* They are relatively inexpensive, epecially by Whole Foods standards and great shampoos.

Also, I would quit using the castor oil it does clog up the pores and you feel like your head will never be clean.

HTH

NappGirlCurl
03-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Hey Sistah Girl!

I use L' anza's Deep Cleansing Shampoo once a month (at least) ti wash my scalp mostly. On the bottle it syas normal to oily hair, daily detoxifier, herbal purifier.

Here are the ingredients:

Water, TEA-Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Cetyl Sulfate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Keratin Bond System, Comfrey Root Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Nettle Extract, Lavender Extract, Cocamide MEA, Magnesium Citrate,Citirc Acid, EDTA, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Orange Peel Extract, Grape Seed Extract, FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C Yellow No. 5.

I also wash at least once a week (sometimes daily with a homemade shampoo that includes the Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap).

I make sure that I keep the suds, etc near my scalp and not through my hair.

I sometimes will also go without putting any products in my hair for the weekend to give me, my scalp, and my hair a break from manipulation, etc. Like write now I'm sitting at the computer with my hair in 8 braids and pulled back without any products in it.

If you don't find a solution by the end of the week I can meet you somewhere and give you some of my stuff :D

bruinhotty
03-03-2003, 05:40 AM
ORS Shampoo or Dr. Bronner's with a little shikakai mixed in.ORS is definitely good to get rid of buildup. If your hair doesn’t have buildup it feels stripped, IMO.

ThisIsKia
03-03-2003, 07:20 AM
[b] Pantene for Curls

twistedmama
03-03-2003, 02:01 PM
@ashrob: You know I glanced at the Kiss My Face shampoos but didn't pick one up. I will go back to the store and look it over. Aromatherapy is always good. I love Rosemary Oil. :D

@NGC: Hey sis. I will look into the shampoo you suggested. I will let you know the verdict later in the week. I was too lazy to wash my hair last night. But I have to get to it today.

@bruinhotty: ORS Shampoo stripping the hair is the exact reason why I stopped using it.

@ThisisKia: Pantene is one of those works well for some but not for all products in my book. I used the Pantene Hydrating Curls shampoo /conditioner when I had a twa, they did not hydrate much of anything. But thanks for the suggestion.

I will let you guys know what happens after I was my hair today.

Peace,

lydicarol
03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
@Lydicarol & sjdancer - I actually went to whole foods today and brought Avalon Organic Rosemary Shampoo. (After I wrote this thread :D ) I have not used it yet, but I will let you know what happens. What
were your experiences witht the Lavendar Nourishing and Lemon Verbana shampoos? Was your hair soft after shampooing (prior to conditioner)?

I've tried both and to be honest the Lavendar Nourishing beats the Lemon Verbana by far (I know SJ will probably disagree - LOL). The Lemon Verbana dries out my hair something fierce but the Lavendar leaves it soft, and nourished. I've been using it for over 6 months and it's a keeper, no SLS, non-drying. I've never tried the Rosemary so let me know how it turns out. :)

L.

NappGirlCurl
03-03-2003, 03:19 PM
[quote]

Hey girl,

8)

Yeah - I tried ORS a long time ago and simply hated it. My hair got all tangled and dry, using it.

blakgirl
03-03-2003, 03:48 PM
@ashrob: You know I glanced at the Kiss My Face shampoos but didn't pick one up. I will go back to the store and look it over. Aromatherapy is always good. I love Rosemary Oil. :D

sniff it before you buy it. i don't know if i got a bad batch, but the MissTreated smelled like a sick mix of pickle juice and peppermint and cardboard to me. :(

blak.

twistedmama
03-03-2003, 05:23 PM
@blakgirl

Whoa :shock: I will do that.

jamaicangurl
03-03-2003, 06:25 PM
I am not on the no poo method because I like to wash my hair. :)
I wear twists in my hair for five days and the remaining two days I wear a twistout. Lately, I have been developing buildup on my scalp that is driving me crazy. :x I have been using Cream of Nature for a while and although it moisturizes my hair, it is doing nothing to clean/clarify my scalp. I wash twice and still notice the buildup on my scalp.

Just wondering if my napptural sistas could give some shampoo recommendations? It could be natural or not, expensive to inexpensive does not matter, I am willing to try anything.

Thanks,

Well, I am on the no-poo method ( :lol: supposedly), but whenever I take my braids out, I find that conditioner alone does not work as well as I would want it to, so, I wash with very diluted shampoo with a bit of baking soda thrown in, on these occasions and it works very well to clarify. V05 shampoo works very well, for me. Try the mango and pear one. I shampoo only once when I use it though, cause like with other shampoos, it will dry out the hair. Hope that helps.

Tasha806
03-03-2003, 07:43 PM
I used to use a shampoo called Aquelle and I added some ACV to it. It worked ok but it has ALS in it and I wanted a shampoo w/o sulfates. So I recently purchased a Rosemary Mint shampoo from this store in my area called Trader Joes, it was their brand name but I think someone else makes one too. Anyway it has no sulfates in it and seems to work pretty good. I also do daily rinses. About a week ago thanks to thighslikewhat i started brewing rosemary tea and spritzing my hair with it every other night, it makes my scalp feel really good and seems to help a lot with buildup and it gives my hair sheen too!

HTH

sjdancer
03-03-2003, 08:15 PM
twistedmama

No, my hair is not soft after using the shampoo, but it is a clarifying one at that. It removes buildup, so I wouldn't expect it to be moisturising. In all honesty, I don't like to clarify because it feels "squeeky clean" afterwards (conditioning helps that though). I only do it every 4-6 weeks when needed. My head gets very itchy, that's when I know it's time for it.

twistedmama
03-04-2003, 12:38 AM
The verdict:

I proceeded to comb up all the yuck that was on my scalp. I took some baking soda and water, made a paste and used a toothbrush to scrub it on my scalp.(thanks Truepeace :D ). I sectioned my hair as I usually do when I shampoo. I shampooed with the Avalon Organics Rosemary shampoo and had to check in the mirror to see if I got everything up. I did and my scalp is very happy now. 8) :D

The only thing I need to be mindful of is using too much baking soda. Some areas of my hair that I shampooed where soft and others were hard but after I conditioned my hair, everything was fine and dandy.

@Lydiacarol: I may buy the Lavendar shampoo since it is nourishing to the hair. I just hope the smell is not too overwhelming.

@jamaicangurl: I have been hearing alot about the V05 products. Thanks for the suggestion and I will look into it.

@Tasha806: I am a big advocate on the rosemary tea spritz. I need to get me some herbs and make some tea real soon. :D

Thank again ladies for all the suggestions.

Be a product junkie is no joke.

Peace,

ChoqlitQT
03-04-2003, 01:38 AM
I use Aubrey Organics JAY shampoo most of the time and Dr. Bronners Peppermint, diluted with water and olive oil, for clarifying every 3 or 4 shampoos. I've never had any buildup issues from shampoos though, only from gels and sprays.

Milcah
03-04-2003, 02:50 AM
One more suggestion.........The Burt's Bee line called Doctor Burt Feeling Flaky. It REALLY gets rid of the buildup on my scalp, and it doesn't take alot of shampooing either. I've never used anything better and I get a buildup on my scalp from excess oil production (I don't oil my hair or scalp either).

Mind you, some of the people think that the products I suggest leave their scalp dry. I haven't experienced this because I have excess oil production on my scalp anyway, plus since I never use oil on my hair my scalp probably does produce more natural oils than many others.

The shampoo leaves my hair soft. I have had no problem with dry scalp. The only problem is that it smells of strong cedar. If you use a no buildup conditioner afterwards like the Nature's Gate Herbal, Suave Coconut, or whatever else you think smells good, the smell will dissipate.

cocoagirl
03-04-2003, 05:33 AM
I have a problem sometimes with removing build up too, especially if I have days of product buildup. The only way I seem to get rid of product build up is by shampooing and I don't like shampooing. I cannot stand the smell of the ACV rinse so don't use it. I use the baking soda and lemon juice and that seems to work but I would like suggestions of other claryfying methods besides shampoo.

twistedmama
03-04-2003, 01:55 PM
@cocoagirl
I know some here that do the no poo method use their conditioner as a shampoo. They may add baking soda or lemon juice to the first lather and none to the second one. Some even dilute the shampoo so it is not as potent, then condition as usual.

I would probably do a search for the no poo method here on the boards.

HTH

Twistie74
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I use ORS' Uplifting Shampoo and I don't have the dandruff issue.

In the summer, I use Dr. B's Peppermint Soap :D

Brit
03-04-2003, 03:14 PM
When I have scalp buildup i dampen my hair using a spray bottle and make a paste with wather and baking soda. I apply it to my scalp to exfoliate. It does a great job.

I do the same thing that truepeace does and it does work wonders.

Lottacoils
03-04-2003, 06:50 PM
I second the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo suggestion for clarifying. Now, I like the Cornrows and Company Coconut oil shampoo for cold weather and Earthly Delight for warm/hot days.

I've heard that as popular as Creme of Nature is (my mother swears by it and it works for her), the balsam in it can build up on the hair and scalp, making it brittle. So oil may be causing your buildup too, but don't rule out the shampoo.