PDA

View Full Version : Depeche Mode

nadia
01-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Who else was really into Depeche Mode? I love their music and think they were way ahead of their time. My favorite album/CD by them is "Music For the Masses". Gotta say, though, that their music is not the type you want to listen to when you're down.

LOCSOFAST
01-26-2004, 02:21 PM
let's just 'enjoy the silence'

Lolly
01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Absolutely love them. Just can't get enough :) I have been a long time fan. My favorite song by them, "Everything counts"

The grabbing hands
grab all they can
Everything counts in large amounts...

My DH knows I lose my mind when I hear that song.

nadia
01-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Oooh, Enjoy the Silence is definitley the groove! Ditto for Policy of Truth.

I like Never Let Me Down, Behind the Wheel and Pimpf (i think it's pimpf, have to check)

I think Depeche Mode was the predecessor to NIN, who I also liked alot.

Lolly
01-26-2004, 03:46 PM
I do like NIN very much. I got to go backstage at one of their concerts but I wasn't lucky enough to meet the band (I was there for another band- A Perfect Circle)

I have a very open mind when it comes to music.

Other Depeche songs:

People are People.....

I can't understand what makes a man, hate another man, help me understand....

Another one I love is, ""I FEEL YOU""

nadia
01-26-2004, 05:21 PM
@ Lolly!

Yes yes, yes! Songs of Faith and Devotion! I love "I Feel You" and also "Higher Love".

Another one from 'MM' is Strangelove.

Strange Love
Strange highs and strange lows
Strange love
That's how our love goes
Strange love
Will you give it to me

Will you take the pain
I will give to
Again and again
AND WILL YOU RETURN IT!

Tryna find a pic to post of them. I had it, but gotta figure out how to post the actual picture here, and not just the link. Visuals, visuals. This site has so many bells and whistles, so I'm humbly trying to learn and use them.

kianga
01-26-2004, 10:37 PM
I (still) love "Enjoy the Silence" and "Personal Jesus" off Violator. 8)

tdrmaquillage
01-26-2004, 11:28 PM
One of the best experiences of my college days was seeing them live at the Rose Bowl and a stadium wide food fight broke out. Ahhhh....memories.... :)

- Tania :rainfro

satriela
01-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Huge depeche mode fan checking in...the whole violator album is off the chain!!!

nadia
01-27-2004, 02:59 AM
@satriela

Yeah it is, and I was listening to it in the car today while I was toolin' around town running erands.

Where were all a y'all when I was growing up and into them? Wadn't too many other sistahs diggin' 'em, you know.

Does anyone have their more recent stuff? They did a concert here a couple of years back, but I didn't get to go. Had to work. If they ever come again, I'm going though. I'm glad to see Gahan (sp?) is doing better and back on track.

ReddyLoques
01-27-2004, 04:15 AM
Your own personal Jesusssssssss... Reach out and touch me.

i luv that song

DM is definately bangin.

Lolly
01-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by nadia@Jan 27 2004, 03:59 AM

Where were all a y'all when I was growing up and into them? Wadn't too many other sistahs diggin' 'em, you know.

[quote]

YEAH REALLY Nadia. Where have you Depeche fans been? I had heard of them through this british program called, "Things from England" on NY station 102.7 (Back in the early 80's). Then I got into WLIR (Long Island, NY station). I was blown away by them. They were just different.

I love "Walking in my shoes". That is a really good one.

The sad thing is that I have never seen them in concert and believe you me, I am NOT missing them this time.

Gahan looks so much better. He was really disconnected at one point. I saw Depeche Mode in concert on MTV Europe a few months back and Gahan was dancing his *** off. It looks like he found peace.

nadia
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Here Here Lolly!

Yeah, I remember a while back when Gahan had tried to commit suicide or something. Looking back as a youngster, I didn't really make the connection between the type of music they were doing and what he may have been feeling. Looking at it now, their music is D-A-R-K! Oooh, but they're so GOOD at that sort of thing, aren't they.

I got into them way back in the day while listening to a college radio station here (WRUW). They were the only station that was playing them at the time.

Also, I like "It's just a question of tiiiiiiimmmmee!"

That group was WAY ahead of their time and SO original. I think that's why I'm partial to a lot of 80's bands. They weren't copying anyone else's style or generation of music. Everything was just new.

Medusa Negrita
01-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I liked Enjoy the Silence and Personal Jesus. They real popular in the 80's and I am definitely and 80's lover of practically all music (it was the 80's right? Perhaps it was recent - Enjoy the Silence had to have been late 80's or early 90's).

I should have more of their stuff, but if hasn't came on radio, then I am not familiar with it.

For some reason, they remind me of Enigma - the background music minus their singing. I love some Engima - their music is ....I don't know - it's more than relaxing. It's like 'monk' music mixed with a little R&B or something. Very cool.

SunnyDaye
01-28-2004, 02:11 PM
I've loved Depeche Mode since the early 80's when I first heard "People Are People". I think that with "Exciter", Dave Gahan and the boys prove that they still have it: My personal favorites are:

Strangelove

Home (and I thank you/ for bringing me here/ for showing me home/ for singing these tears / finally I've found that I belong here...

Never Let Me Down
Useless
Dream On
The Sweetest Condition (It’s a sad disease / Creeping through my mind /
Causing disabilities / Of the strangest kind)

Lolly
01-28-2004, 03:07 PM
@ Medusa. Let's hear it for lovers of 80's music.

I don't care if I am dating myself at this point. It was a great time for music. I listen to music today but I feel something is missing-lyrics that can connect with one's life.

I got exposed to alot different music on college radio. I had the luck of DJ 'ing for one night on college radio and I LOVED IT. You can play basically anything that is new.

@Nadia-their music is very DARK almost ethereal at times. I am kinda into that real melancholy stuff. The stuff you turn off the lights and just listen to with candles burning on a rainy night and you want to cry your PMS heart out. :(rain

Wait y'all I have got another good one by Depeche Mode that REALLY hit me

ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF

It's only when I lose myself in someone else, that I find myself, I find myself

That song is awesome. Helped me get over being broken-hearted at one point in life.

Another great song, "Home". It is so sweet. I think I will play that for my DH when he walks in tonight. :amour

I have the Depeche Mode compilation DC , "The Singles" from 86-96. Great for driving.

If you have the opportunity check out Kruder Dorfmeister-The K& D Sessions. Interesting electronica.

nadia
01-28-2004, 08:16 PM
@ Lolly:

Yeah, I will check out those artists you mentioned. You need, DM's old stuff was so good that I totally slept on anything after Songs of Faith and Devotion. I think I'll pick up some of their newer stuff this weekend.

Is there a way to post sound clips just like you do pictures?