PDA

View Full Version : Nine Months and Counting

naturalhairlover
01-26-2004, 05:57 AM
I've been dealing with the two textures for nine months now. It got really scary at around 4 months and again at 6. Now I'm just used to it and I can't wait for my one year anniversary. My best products have been:

1. My banana clip.
2. Pantene Conditioner (any)
3. Profective Break Free.
4. Water (for my ponytails)
5. Natural Oasis Herbal Scalp Conditioner

Where are you at in your journey and how is it going? What works best for you?
:amour :thumbsup :rainfro :heart :app :pop :) :-?

redchika
01-26-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm at 9½ months and counting. I will be 10 months on Feb. 4th. What works best for me are: my straw set, my wrap, braids, and my afro puff ponytail.

carlaw78
01-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm at month 6, and I think I'm going to cut it off the middle of next month. I don't know how ya'll do it ( much respect to the long-term transitioners).

My lifesaver products- ORS Hair Mayo
Pantene Hydrating Curls ( thank GOD for Pantene)
Paul Mitchell "the conditioner"
and olive oil& honey ( nature's Gift)

Also my hairdryer ( for the deep conditioners)
and my ever lovin twist outs

Shelli4018
01-26-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm at 5 months. Though I went through one heck of a time finding something to detangle my hair, I think I've found a few staples:

1.) Deep Brilliance Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner OR
2.) Ouidad Thirsty Curls Conditioner.
3.) StaSofro.
4.) Nexxus Emergencee (for my relaxed ends).

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
01-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm at month 8!!! YEAH!!!!

I loooooooove:

1)Glycerin
2)Flat-twists and twists-outs
3)Water
4)My Denman Brush
5)Cholesterol

I'm really loving this journey. Yay!

kinkity
01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm only at month 3 1/2 and I'm struggling like mad :) I wanna try some spiral sets with rods, or straws, or spiral rollers and see if that can help me a bit. Can anyone help me find some info on those?

indigo2
01-26-2004, 11:23 PM
goin into month three (I can't remember exactly when in November I had my last perm). I also don't see how y'all do it. When I first went natural I transitioned for one year but now.....I'm just waiting for enough new growth to do a big chop.

nappyesquire
01-27-2004, 12:26 AM
i transitioned for a litte over a year before i chopped. i was the twisting queen!! i also had the most fly headwraps that i would rock every few days. every one and a while i got cornrows.

i loved my widetooth comb, princess kayla nattylocks cream, and ic fantasia gel, plus my spray bottle filled with essential oils and olive oil etc....

good luck y'all!!! you can hang in there.

bellegurl
01-27-2004, 01:14 AM
I've been transitioning for 6 months yall and still going on strong. I might do the :cen in march but i don't know it all depends on how i feel then.

Products i can't live without:

Suave conditioner (any kind)
olive oil
water
ORS mayonaise

~samie :rainfro

carmenjones
01-27-2004, 02:43 AM
I've been transitioning for three months (haven't relaxed since October '03). My hair is not driving me as crazy as I thought it would be by now.

My favorite products are:

1) my ceramic flat iron
2) Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise
3) Africa's Best Herbal Oil

I'm not too up to date on hair products so I'm still searching but those are what helps me keep my hair tame.

hairhope
01-27-2004, 03:14 AM
I'm a little over 10 months. I struggled at 3 months and again at 9 months. I decided to cut of 4-5 inches of my almost waist length hair to get rid of my thin ends and it's been a breeze so far.

What's saved me is:

Braidouts
Healthy Hair Butter
Moisturizing my ends
Detangling under the shower head
Avoiding Heat
Wearing my hair up 99% of the time
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner & Suave Humectant
Hair Albums for inspiration!
So many more things...I'm planning to transition till the relaxed ends are gone by trims...at least another 1.5 years from now.

macgirl
01-27-2004, 03:29 AM
I'll be 9 months in transition next week. I've been trimming every other month. I'll most likely be choping this spring.

Lifesavers:
1) Water & Scunci Ouchless Elastics for my ponytail
2) Biolage Ultra Hydrating Shampoo
3) Biolage Detangling Solution
4) Paul Mitchell- The Detangler & The Conditioner
5) Detangling under the shower head
6) My Denman Brush
7) Pantene gel for smoothing into ponytail

Jenn 8)

beedeeb
01-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi, all! I'm in my 11th month. I had a frustrating time with my hair last month but other than that everything is fine. The product that has helped me the most is WATER; drinking it and washing my hair 2-3x/week. Sta-Sof-Fro, in this last month has kept me from straightening my hair. I wear braid-outs most of the time.

kirgurl79
01-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Coming up on 6 months. It feels like forever. My twistouts aren't doing the trick anymore. I can't believe this, but I just feel like chopping it off lately. A few months ago, I would have said, "Big chop? At 6 months? Oh hell no!".

Fave product: Smooth n Shine conditioning gel

Shelli4018
01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Kirgurl, I hear you. I planned to transition for a year. But I'll be surprised if I make it that long.

star0925
01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Just throwing out some support for those transitioning.

:app :app :app

Congratulations for making this far and good luck your continued journey.

anaya404
01-27-2004, 09:43 PM
I am about to enter month three. What has helped me so far is Suave Naturals shampoo and conditioner, corn rows, braid outs, and a good ole wide tooth comb

lsubabiedee
01-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey
I have been transitioning for 7.5 months now, and its been pretty eventless.

My most used products are:
Aussie Moist shampoo/conditioner
Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-In
Soft & Beautiful Conditioning Tonic
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Wondergro Shea Butter Oil

nubiandymond
01-28-2004, 01:46 AM
I've been at this tranistioning thing for 15 months!!! the only reason why i am not gonna cut it off is cuz i like the lenght. the hardest times where 3, 7, and 12 months. Now i have really gotten used to it. i'm slowly cutting off the relaxed ends but i want it to be all one lenght, kinda like kelis's hair. I have no favorite product, i just use wat i hear yall talk about then try something new when it runs out!

ladired
01-28-2004, 04:58 AM
It is my 5th month of transtioning. It is going good so far, I am able to deal with the 2 textures a lot better now that have cut 5inchs of my relaxed hair. i plan to transition until june then do the big chop.

naturalhairlover
01-28-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by nubiandymond@Jan 27 2004, 05:46 PM
I've been at this tranistioning thing for 15 months!!!
[SIZE=1]Wow!

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
01-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by nubiandymond@Jan 27 2004, 08:46 PM
I've been at this tranistioning thing for 15 months!!! the only reason why i am not gonna cut it off is cuz i like the lenght. the hardest times where 3, 7, and 12 months. Now i have really gotten used to it. i'm slowly cutting off the relaxed ends but i want it to be all one lenght, kinda like kelis's hair. I have no favorite product, i just use wat i hear yall talk about then try something new when it runs out!
You go girl....you're my inspiration!

carlaw78
01-28-2004, 09:33 AM
I have to agree on the WOW for Nubian, 15 MONTHS!!! Better then me, no way in the world could I do it. It looks like I will setting up an appt in March to get the cut. I'm getting nervous, but I am ready to do it

natural-gal
01-28-2004, 03:27 PM
I have been transitioning for 8 months now. I was gonna do the BC but changed my mind when i went to a salon to get some cornrow (with fake hair) and the lady said i better cut it later 'cause it will be too short for the hair to hold on to mine if mine is too short. And i'm also kinda waiting for it to grow longer before i cut it anyway. But i think i'm gonna cut at the end of this semester. Maybe in June or July. It will have to be long enough by then. I can't wait to cut.
When i got the cornrows out to put in new ones, I almost got out my scissors to cut off those ends. They make it hard to comb my hair. And my new growth is SO soft, well at least in the front anyway. In the back my hair is nappier then in the middle and front. Harder to comb through. But I think i'll manage. It'll just take time with all the different textures.

I have been buying hair and braiding it for a while now. I just don't have the time to learn all the styling, 'cause i have lots of classes and assignments and such. :offtopic I'm studying Accounting and have lots and lost of books and classes. So no time. Not enough.

Anyways, I have been using Suave conditioners and Pantene Hydrating Curls conditioner. I was no pooing before i got braids, so I don't have shampoos. I only had a clarifying shampoo i used every 2 weeks.

Good luck on y'alls journey!!

mrscooks
01-28-2004, 07:23 PM
I have been on this journey for 2 months and 13 days. Haven't had a relaxer since Nov. 15, 2003. My favorite style is the braid out. I can't braid that well, so I just plait it and roll the ends. My hair usually turns out wavy and curly.

I like to use the following:

Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Sta Sof Fro
Shea Butter and Tea Tree Moisturizer
Water
Headbands
ouchless ponytail bands
brush
wide tooth comb

I pray I successfully complete my journey. :rolleyes

knwill
01-28-2004, 09:52 PM
I've been transitioning for two mths now (last relaxer 11/25) I want to cut it now!!!!! Why don't I? A lil scared I must admit of having little to no hair! I'm thinking about getting braids soon. I will cut it by April! :)

MissLisa
01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
I've been transitioning since October '03. Still feeling pretty good about it, and it's a LOT more manageable than I ever thought it would be. I don't think I will be a very long-term transitioner; I'm too impatient to see what my "real" hair looks like. I think the shorter your relaxed hair is, the less attached you are to it. (I could be wrong though!) I'm going to try to hold out until May though. Pray for me! *lol*

The products I use regularly are:

Wondergro Shea Butter Lite Oil
100% Shea Butter
Pantene products (pick one...they all work darn well)
Honey
Olive oil
My spritz bottle with water and whatever other concoction I think up
A widetooth comb

As for styles, flat twists, cornrows and headwraps are my saviors for now.

jazzychic
01-29-2004, 02:43 PM
i have been transitioning for 4 mths, i am getting the big chop tomorrow!!

products:
Pantene for relaxed and natural (you know the "ethnic" kind)
cornrows
wonder 8 oil
wrapping

naturalhairlover
01-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mrscooks@Jan 28 2004, 11:23 AM

I pray I successfully complete my journey.
You will. Just hang in there and keep in touch with your fellow transitioners' at Nappturality. Sounds like you're doing great. :)

MissLisa
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jazzychic@Jan 29 2004, 02:43 PM
i have been transitioning for 4 mths, i am getting the big chop tomorrow!!

Yay! Make sure you take pictures!

Nappytop
02-02-2004, 12:52 AM
HELLO LADIES! I GUESS YOU COULD SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN TRANSITIONING FOR GOING ON 4 MONTHS NOW. I GET RELAXERS EVERY THREE MONTHS SO THAT'S WHY I SAID I GUESS. MY STYLIST SAID THAT I WILL START TO GET FRUSTRATED AROUND 6-7 MONTHS IN. SHE HAS BEEN BLOWING MY HAIR STRAIGHT TO MATCH THE PERMED HAIR. I PLAN TO TRANSITION FOR A YEAR OR LONGER. I KEEP HEARING THAT WHILE YOU ARE TRANSITIONING YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR NATURAL TEXTURE WILL BE LIKE. WOULDN'T IT LOOK LIKE YOUR NEW GROWTH? WOULD SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT MY HAIR TO LOOK LIKE WHEN I AM DONE TRANSITIONING?

naturalhairlover
02-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Sharonatw@Feb 1 2004, 04:52 PM
I KEEP HEARING THAT WHILE YOU ARE TRANSITIONING YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR NATURAL TEXTURE WILL BE LIKE. WOULDN'T IT LOOK LIKE YOUR NEW GROWTH? WOULD SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT MY HAIR TO LOOK LIKE WHEN I AM DONE TRANSITIONING?
I think it is because when you still have relaxed ends it cause the hair to clump more and give the appearance of coils. Whereas, when you cut off the ends your hair may frizz or shrink more that it would with the relaxed ends. Also, if you are blow drying your hair you run the risk of altering the appearance of even the new growth. Hope that helps.

md7757
02-03-2004, 12:58 AM
I've been transitioning for 10 months this week. Planning on the BC in April at one year. So far, its going well.

delleaux
02-03-2004, 02:36 AM
You guys hang in there I have been natural for 5 years and don't miss the perms. Keep up the good work :-)

uzuri
02-04-2004, 10:47 PM
I transitioned for 18 months, and did the big chop Nov 2003....I feel like I´ve been napptural longer..... :)
I posted in here to encourage those who feel like I did.... that they need to have some length before they do the big chop... :razz

Kandyland
02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
I've been transitioning since Oct 31, 2003......I'm not quite ready for the big chop, I'm still transitioning my mind, once I've done that....I will be going for the BC

naturali-t
02-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Dealing with the two textures for 1 year and 5 months,but next month, no more...

My transition techniques/products:

Carols Daughter Healthy Hair butter
Not combing my hair when dry
Braid out styles

Gemini619
02-07-2004, 08:03 PM
My last perm was in November 2003 I have been transitioning for 4 months so far...I get these impulses to go to the salon and do the big chop but I can't just yet....I am too used to my hair being the length it is right now....

Products I LIVE by are(The first 2 are DEFINITE must haves):

#1 Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
#2 Biosilk silk therapy
#3 Nexxus Pure Control Stylizer
#4 Cream of Nature conditioning shampoo and Conditioner
#5 My LARGE shampoo comb to detangle my hair
#6 And lots of VOR conditioner (use this b4 I shampoo to detangle so that I dont waste the good stuff)

Gemini619
02-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Correction #6 V05 Conditioner...sorry

star0925
02-13-2004, 06:36 PM
BUMP

CocoaPure
02-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I've only been transitioning 2 months. My last relaxer was December 19th, but I have exactly 1.5 inches of newgrowth that I'm dealing with. My hair grows pretty fast, but I want at least 5 inches before I do the big chop. I've already been chopping quite a bit. It was just a couple inches from bra strap length when I started cutting, but for me trimming every month helps with the grow out process and also helps the comb slip through the two texures!

I can't go for long transitiioning because I feel my hair grows faster when it's all natural, so I feel like the sooner I can get all natural, no chemicals the better. I just don't want to have short hair. Last time I went natural I chopped about 9 inches of hair off down to 1 inch!!! I had a really difficult time with the super short hair, I hated not having a lot of styling options (that I liked on me that is, I see others look good in styles for short hair, but you have to have the right face and head shape) Anyhoo, I'm chopping when I get to 5 inches of natural hair which should be around July, 2004 but I'll need it to at least be covering the back of my neck!!

ronni
02-15-2004, 06:54 AM
I have been transitioning for a year and a month now, it did get hard around 6 months and around 9 months.. it starting getting thick. I love it now..I learned to work with it.. I will see how I will be able to deal with my hair in another 3 months.. Maybe I will be ready to chop in May..we will see. Here is what I have been using:

Pantane....hydrating curls
Pantene....Leave in conditioner

alternate with suave coconut conditioner

I do notice when I start slacking on trimming my ends that my hair starts to feel dry.

Barbie
02-15-2004, 08:31 PM
I've been transitioning for 23 months! I am planning to do the BC next month during spring break. I have about 2 to 3 inches of relaxed ends that I will cut off then.

What works for me...

1.) Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner
2.) Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol Conditioner - great for conditioner washes
3.) Creme of Nature shampoo
4.) 100% unrefined shea butter
5.) olive oil
6.) Suave aloe vera frizz control gel
7.) Blowdryer with comb attachment
8.) Ceramic flat iron
9.) Wide tooth comb
10.) The book "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell
11.) The book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey

naturalhairlover
02-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Barbie@Feb 15 2004, 12:31 PM
I've been transitioning for 23 months! I am planning to do the BC next month during spring break. I have about 2 to 3 inches of relaxed ends that I will cut off then.

What works for me...

1.) Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner
2.) Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol Conditioner - great for conditioner washes
3.) Creme of Nature shampoo
4.) 100% unrefined shea butter
5.) olive oil
6.) Suave aloe vera frizz control gel
7.) Blowdryer with comb attachment
8.) Ceramic flat iron
9.) Wide tooth comb
10.) The book "Let's Talk Hair" by Pamela Ferrell
11.) The book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey
I think we have a record... :app :app

sherporter
02-17-2004, 05:24 AM
Well, people, I have not relaxed my hair since October 2003. I have invested in a ceramic flat iron last week and used it last night. My hair looks great and my new growth is coming in healthy. I hope that you all's journey to natural hair is going well too.

AFashionSlave
02-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Sharonatw@Feb 1 2004, 07:52 PM
HELLO LADIES! I GUESS YOU COULD SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN TRANSITIONING FOR GOING ON 4 MONTHS NOW. I GET RELAXERS EVERY THREE MONTHS SO THAT'S WHY I SAID I GUESS. MY STYLIST SAID THAT I WILL START TO GET FRUSTRATED AROUND 6-7 MONTHS IN. SHE HAS BEEN BLOWING MY HAIR STRAIGHT TO MATCH THE PERMED HAIR. I PLAN TO TRANSITION FOR A YEAR OR LONGER. I KEEP HEARING THAT WHILE YOU ARE TRANSITIONING YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR NATURAL TEXTURE WILL BE LIKE. WOULDN'T IT LOOK LIKE YOUR NEW GROWTH? WOULD SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT MY HAIR TO LOOK LIKE WHEN I AM DONE TRANSITIONING?
:thumbsup Good luck on your transitioning journey.

Blowing your roots straight may damage your new napps before you even get a chance to show them off. Instead of blowing your roots straight you may want to try wearing curly hairstyles. Curly hairstyles are less stressful on your hair and they will also give you a little practice on dealing with your textured roots. Braids, Twist-outs, braid-outs, straw-sets and roller sets are great styling options.

Try two-strand twisting or braiding up your hair when it's wet with your favorite styling product. Then use tiny perm rods on the ends. The perm rods will help to disguise those straight ends. Let your hair air dry & separate the twists for texture.

Question to all of you transitioners:
Are you ladies doing little chops along the way or do you plan on doing one big chop when you are ready?

I clipped off my relaxed ends a little bit at a time for 10 months before I finally did the big chop. Clipping along the way really helped me to deal with the frustration of the two textures.

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
02-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by AFashionSlave@Feb 17 2004, 10:21 AM

Question to all of you transitioners:
Are you ladies doing little chops along the way or do you plan on doing one big chop when you are ready?

I clipped off my relaxed ends a little bit at a time for 10 months before I finally did the big chop. Clipping along the way really helped me to deal with the frustration of the two textures.
I'm clipping my relaxed ends off little by little until I have no perm yet. I cut some off every 2 months or so, or whenever I start getting tangles at the end.

Mecca
02-18-2004, 02:25 AM
8) I'm looking at about 18mos....I clip the ends very often. I guess I'm about 80% nappy at this point. So far so good....

I just discovered Pantene Hydrating Curls it works very well for me.