PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss Cuz Gone Veggie?

Amoranda
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I used to hav long hair. It stopped growin. When I turned vegetarian. In the back. Do you think its because I stopped eating meat? How do I get it to grow back? I'm natural 5 years, but it hasn't grown back.

Help

Soul Rebel
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Not enough info to say? :dunno:

What's your hair routine, how's your health in general, are you undergoing a lot of stress, do you color, etc. etc. etc. Those and many other questions come to mind. There are a lot of veggies of differing kinds (lacto-ovo, vegan, raw, etc.) with amazing heads of hair on NP.com so it would be difficult to say that the vegetarianism alone caused it. BUT if you aren't eating a balanced veggie diet and you're missing essential nutrients, fats, WATER etc. then maybe so. If you want to know for sure I'd suggest going to a dermatologist and getting to the root (sorry for the pun) of the matter.

best of luck

- Tania :afro:

Amoranda
09-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Not enough info to say? :dunno:

What's your hair routine, how's your health in general, are you undergoing a lot of stress, do you color, etc. etc. etc. Those and many other questions come to mind. There are a lot of veggies of differing kinds (lacto-ovo, vegan, raw, etc.) with amazing heads of hair on NP.com so it would be difficult to say that the vegetarianism alone caused it. BUT if you aren't eating a balanced veggie diet and you're missing essential nutrients, fats, WATER etc. then maybe so. If you want to know for sure I'd suggest going to a dermatologist and getting to the root (sorry for the pun) of the matter.

best of luck

[/b]

I don't color my hair. I'm healthy, no illness. I eat eggs in baking and cheese but that's it. I don't drink but rice milkk. I try to eat beans, but they give me gas. I eat them tho. I seriously starting to think bout eating meat. Yeah I don't drink enough water but will this make my hair grow back in the back.

I can't afford a hair doctor.

Naturally Divine
09-03-2006, 06:50 PM
It may be from not having a well rounded diet and meat is apart of a well rounded diet. Google for the answer and make sure you see a doctor.

Soul Rebel
09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
A diet can be poor whether or not it contains meat. Meat can or cannot be part of a balanced diet, it's not the difference maker. Millions of people around the world are vegetarians, not just Patchouli wearing hippies.

Amoranda - If you can't afford a doctor then you'll have to experiment and see what nutritional/dietary changes affect your hair. Zinc, essential fatty acids, iron and B vitamins can often become deficient on a veggie diet and those all effect hair growth. I, personally, just won't eat meat under any circumstances so I take suppliments for those things. And while it wouldn't effect one patch of non growth, increasing water consumption makes a huge overall difference in growth in terms of maintaining pliability and elasticity in the hair and hence, maintaining growth.

Amoranda
09-04-2006, 07:27 AM
thank you! :blush: more water better diet . i probably will hve to seee a doctor tho. its okay.

missmackaroni
09-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not promoting meat eating or anything but i kno someone that stopped eating meat for lent and her hair started falling out. I guess it was the sudden drop in proteins. Maybe incorporate some protein shakes and soy food in your diet. If beans give u too much gas take some beano b4 u eat them or soak them in water longer overnight. HTH

Amoranda
09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I've alsways shy away from stuff like Beano. but at this point i;ll give anything a try!

thnks for ur advise!

i like the protein shake idea to
:)

msahara
09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Yes, it is probably the sudden drop in protein that might be the culprit. Maybe you should try soy milk instead of rice milk (unless you're allergic to it). I recently became a vegetarian and I try to eat a lot of beans and fortified cereals with good vitamins in them. Maybe this will help you too.

qwest
09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Protein and fats are important to hair growth,fullness, and health. You don't necessarily have to start eating meat either to get those. You can try peanut butter or taking fish oil capsules.

There might also be some discomfort if you were to go right back to meat.

humble1
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Are you eating enough calories? When I made my 1st attempt to go vegan, I discovered I just wasn't getting a sufficient number of calories. Insufficient caloric intake and result in nutritional deficiencies. Your hair may suffer because the nutrients you get go to vital areas first.

deng
10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I used to hav long hair. It stopped growin. When I turned vegetarian. In the back. Do you think its because I stopped eating meat? How do I get it to grow back? I'm natural 5 years, but it hasn't grown back.
Help
[/b]

Yes, it could be because you stop eating meat. I don't think people know how essential it is to eat certain foods and how fat and protein is sufficient for diet. If you stop eating meat your hair can thin out, fall out, or all together stop growing. This is not the case for everyone but it is true in a lot of cases.

Nappilocs
10-20-2006, 06:40 AM
You don't need meat.. Just make sure you are getting your protien through beans and nuts.

shemika
12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
I stopped eating red meat for several years but continued to eat chicken and fish. I had always eaten meat regularly till then. I noticed my hair started thinning, my energy became low and even my teeth began chipping and were brittle. A couple of them broke. I'd also started taking a lot of soy supplements to compensate. Then I found out that too much soy can cause thyroid problems which cause fatigue and hair loss. And not eating meat caused a deficiency in vitamin B12 and other nutrients that caused tiredness and hair loss too. I also read that if you have a certain blood type you need red meat in your diet or you can become weak and ill, and just so happens I am one of those blood types. Since I resumed eating meats about a year ago my hair has gotten thicker at the scalp and stopped thinning although there's been breakage because of a couple of botched up color jobs on top of each other. But one thing for sure my, my teeth are not fragile and brittle anymore. They are now as healthy as they ever were.

flychicshae
12-22-2006, 08:13 PM
The same thing happened to my mothe in law, she has been a vegetarian for years but her hair didn't fall out until afte she had Gastric bypass and was forced to drink only liquids for 6 weeks. b4 that she had long locs. Sorry to hear about your dilema and hope things get better 4 u.