PDA

View Full Version : My Scalp Is On Fire Can Anyone Help.

keishac1
09-06-2006, 11:48 PM
In the 2003 I went natural, decided perms were a no no I cut my shoulder relaxed hair and started my journey. I never had any scalp irritations or even dandruff. However when I evacuated from New Orleans during hurricane Katrina 2005 my and relocated to a small town which did not carry many of the products I was using. So I decided to apply a chemical fire cream (optimum) to my hair big mistake. Ever since that day my scalp is constantly itching and burning. I have visited a dermatologist and he states that I have developed psoriasis, In addition I have also noticed a couple of bumps also. Has anyone encountered a nightmare like this? Any suggestions :(

Liberate
09-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I know little to nothing about psoriasis. BUT the itching/burning could be because your scalp had back reaction to the perm. It's probably in some sort of shock. When I was relax my scalp itched like crazy, I had dandruff, had sores in my scalp(chemical burns).

Hopefully, you have since given up perming because that will only increase your hair woes. I think your scalp may need a little TLC. However, I can't tell specifically what to do...
Can you list the products you use / how often you use them? So basically list your hair routine and maybe that will help me and other ladies figure out our best advice to give you.

Until then I can tell you what I've learned and and works for my hair/scalp...
Well I don't have dandruff anymore because I stopped perming AND I stopped using oil/grease on my scalp.
My scalp is oily and produces enough of its own so adding to it was throwing it off its natural balance.

I keep my hair moisturized instead of oil. I don't use shampoo (no-poo) and currently co-wash/rinse my hair as my way of cleaning my hair and keeping it moisturized. Shampoo strips my hair/scalp and makes it dry. It also sort of shocks my scalp because of it over cleaning my scalp.

So maybe starting a routine like this may help you. If you need a shampoo get a sulfate free one. Also get one that doesn't have the "bad" ingredients in it. See Website Articles "10 Chemicals to Avoid"

Massage your scalp may help you as well.

I hope this helps you

Liberate

keishac1
09-08-2006, 01:32 AM
I know little to nothing about psoriasis. BUT the itching/burning could be because your scalp had back reaction to the perm. It's probably in some sort of shock. When I was relax my scalp itched like crazy, I had dandruff, had sores in my scalp(chemical burns).

Hopefully, you have since given up perming because that will only increase your hair woes. I think your scalp may need a little TLC. However, I can't tell specifically what to do...
Can you list the products you use / how often you use them? So basically list your hair routine and maybe that will help me and other ladies figure out our best advice to give you.

Until then I can tell you what I've learned and and works for my hair/scalp...
Well I don't have dandruff anymore because I stopped perming AND I stopped using oil/grease on my scalp.
My scalp is oily and produces enough of its own so adding to it was throwing it off its natural balance.

I keep my hair moisturized instead of oil. I don't use shampoo (no-poo) and currently co-wash/rinse my hair as my way of cleaning my hair and keeping it moisturized. Shampoo strips my hair/scalp and makes it dry. It also sort of shocks my scalp because of it over cleaning my scalp.

So maybe starting a routine like this may help you. If you need a shampoo get a sulfate free one. Also get one that doesn't have the "bad" ingredients in it. See Website Articles "10 Chemicals to Avoid"

Massage your scalp may help you as well.

I hope this helps you

Liberate
[/b]

Thanks for your help Liberate, I was recently used mizani products, profective, dudley, elasta qp mango butter, dax shampoo, LIV scalp conditioner , doo gro, and profectiv. However yesterday I bought creme of nature ultra moisturizing shampoo conditioner and also applie aphogee 2min reconstructor and I braided my hair with profectiv mega growth and my scalp has not itched. Since then I have trashed evrything except what I used yesterday. In addition, I purchased some products from www.oyinahandmade.com, I'm hope for the best.

B_U_Tfuldreamer
09-10-2006, 07:49 AM
In the 2003 I went natural, decided perms were a no no I cut my shoulder relaxed hair and started my journey. I never had any scalp irritations or even dandruff. However when I evacuated from New Orleans during hurricane Katrina 2005 my and relocated to a small town which did not carry many of the products I was using. So I decided to apply a chemical fire cream (optimum) to my hair big mistake. Ever since that day my scalp is constantly itching and burning. I have visited a dermatologist and he states that I have developed psoriasis, In addition I have also noticed a couple of bumps also. Has anyone encountered a nightmare like this? Any suggestions :(
[/b]

Sistah,

I hope you get some relief soon. Organic Root Stimulator has an excellent hair care line. It treats problems similar to yours. YOu have to use the shampoo, conditioner and the itch relief oil as a system. Nothing else but that product, until you see results. Question: Have you been to a reliable health food/herbal store. The information you get from there ( herbs and topicals ) will help as well.
So many times we apply things to our scalp. But when its a problem like this it may also be internal. Believe it or not. Something that cause itchness ( nerves ) and breakouts is also related to your nervous system. When we only treat the scalp we live the most important part of that system untouched. Our bodies work together. You have you als treat from within. Tea tree is also another treatment that can help you . Contact me.

Blessings to you,
B_U_Tfuldreamer

dreadz
09-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Your not still relaxing are you? There was a post on this site a while ago, and a lady used an Optimum perm and it totally destroyed her hair, and she lost all of her hair. I have heard too many bad things about Optimum perms. Well, I think the sisters above gave you very good advice, and tea tree is very good to sooth itching and burning. I hope you find some solutions and relief. Goodluck and God bless!

keishac1
09-11-2006, 02:16 AM
I appreciate all of the support and recommendations provided. And yes I have ceased using relaxers, does products can really do some damage. In the meantime I have trimmed off as much relaxed hair as possible and also tried the tea tree oil from The Body Shop and it worked well. It was quite soothing. Unfortunately, when I purchased the organic root stimulator system the products seem to clog my pores and intensify the problem. I have recently starting using a mixture of peanut oil, jojoba oil, and almond 2x wk to my scalp and that seems to aid in the irritation.

Thanks to everyone!

fallinghair
09-23-2006, 10:01 AM
[/b]

I had this happen to me. It sounds like you had a severe allergic reaction to the chemical fire cream. It gave your scalp contact dermatatitis. You have two options. 1. Ask your dermatologist to give you a topical steroid to stop the itching and burning. the downside is that it will make your scalp very sensitive. This happened to me about 4 years ago and my scalp is still very sensative. So much so that I can not tolerate any oils or creams on my scalp. Steroids make your scalp thin. On the positive side, your hair will grow like crazy. 2. The second alternative is to do nothing and let nature take its course. This is hard to do when you can't sleep because your scalp is on fire. I took approach 1. I used liquid steroids for about 2 months. Then he switched me to a non steriod cream. (the name escapes me) I also got into the habit of pourning ice cold water on my scalp to cool it off. You many try aloe vera gel since it is cooling Use non SLS shampoos. Use only natural shampoos. you many try rene furterer sensitive scalp oil. Whatever you do, don't use any product with the suffix cane in it. This will acerbate the problem.It took about a year for my scalp to return to normal.

keishac1
10-02-2006, 01:23 AM
I had this happen to me. It sounds like you had a severe allergic reaction to the chemical fire cream. It gave your scalp contact dermatatitis. You have two options. 1. Ask your dermatologist to give you a topical steroid to stop the itching and burning. the downside is that it will make your scalp very sensitive. This happened to me about 4 years ago and my scalp is still very sensative. So much so that I can not tolerate any oils or creams on my scalp. Steroids make your scalp thin. On the positive side, your hair will grow like crazy. 2. The second alternative is to do nothing and let nature take its course. This is hard to do when you can't sleep because your scalp is on fire. I took approach 1. I used liquid steroids for about 2 months. Then he switched me to a non steriod cream. (the name escapes me) I also got into the habit of pourning ice cold water on my scalp to cool it off. You many try aloe vera gel since it is cooling Use non SLS shampoos. Use only natural shampoos. you many try rene furterer sensitive scalp oil. Whatever you do, don't use any product with the suffix cane in it. This will acerbate the problem.It took about a year for my scalp to return to normal.
[/b]

You are exactly right. Everything you describes has happened however my dermatologist gave me an oil based topical application called Derma- Smoothe/FS which helped tremendously and I only use oyinhandmade products which are great and for the past 5 weeks I have not had any problems with irritation. Aloe Vera has also helped greatly. Thanks :)