PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatoid arthritis @ a young age

NappyJoy
01-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Ive had Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 15 ( now 22)
ive taken many treatments and herbal rhemidies some have helped although after a while the treatment benifits start to wear off..

Its been a struggle having it as a young age "since its associated with the elderly", i dont know of anyone who is also in my position, the people i know who have this condition got it during their 30s and onwards

Most people my age dont belive me or are less sympathetic when i say im in pain or am unable to do certain things such as standing for a few hours or just to run for a bus which many people just do without thinking :roll:

But saying this i have learnt to accept that knowone is perfect so therefore have learnt to cope with it and find ways of acheiving without letting this affect me a great deal..
although i do have my moments :?

Do any of you guys know of anyone young with this condition that has tried Embrel ( a medication which i may be taking soon) or any other suggestions that may help

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Have you thought about seeing a homeopathic doctor? Someone who deals with natural medicine? If all else fails they may be of some help. They may have some natural ways for dealing with the pain. Good Luck!

NappyJoy
01-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Have you thought about seeing a homeopathic doctor? Someone who deals with natural medicine? If all else fails they may be of some help. They may have some natural ways for dealing with the pain. Good Luck!

Thanx for the reply
I actually have tried homeopathic medicine but it never made any difference ..i still had to take my painkillers whilst on the treatment ..
I think it may only work for less serious cases of arthritis
thanx for yr help

Knottygal
01-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Believe me when I say I understand your pain. I too have occassional leg problems pain, stiffness or weakness. I haven't experienced it lately but last year I went to several doctors. At one time they thought it could have been rheumatoid arthritis....I guess I had some of the same symptoms you experience. My friends too thought I was bs'ing about my leg problems. I just wanted to know I know the feeling.

KristiK
01-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Hey Girl, my sister was stricken with lupus at a young age(not young as you though) but she had some severe arthritic pain on the onset of the disease and she still does have some bad joint pain. As far as those people who think you are playing, tell them to come live a day in your shoes to test the waters, since they think you are bs-ing- People like that are so overly consumed with themsleves, they don't realize that its NOT them who are dealing with the disease or affliction, so they wanna shift their guilt over to you. My aunt has rhematoid arthritis, she has had ti for nearly 20 years, she was diagnosed when she was 20. This 'runs' in my family so I understand your plight.
Surround yourself with loving, supporting people, it will make all the difference. Good luck and Ill be praying for you allways

syoulee1
01-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Hi,
my grandmother has RA. She was diaognosed when she was in her early to mid twenties. She is now 73. At the time she was diagnosed their were not as many treatments as there are today.

I understand how you feel and I will keep you in my prayers

NappyJoy
01-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Hugs and kisses to all who have posted
Its so nice to hear support from others :D
Im still taken things as they come and i surround myself with friends and family who care,whilst also spending time doing the things i enjoy..
thanx guys xx

To all who also have family members with any type of health condition my heart goes out to them..as long as they focus on the positive they,ll be just fine..:wink:

nappydee78
06-14-2005, 06:27 PM
NappyJoy.

I'm 26 years old and have something called Collegan's Disease. It's a form of Lupus and RA. I've been diagnoised since 25 but the doctors think I've had it since 18.

If you ever need to talk to someone, please feel free to contact me. I know what you are going through and trust me it can be rough but it's always good to have a friend to talk to that understands as well.

I'm here for you if you need it.

swingbolder
06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Do any of you guys know of anyone young with this condition that has tried Embrel ( a medication which i may be taking soon) or any other suggestions that may help

This suggestion is radical, but you might want to try an all-raw or mostly raw food diet. Autoimmune diseases like lupus and RA really respond to raw food.

Try this site:

http://drfuhrman.com/

I have healed myself of asthma, osteo arthritis and chronic sinusits through following a raw diet. It's not easy, but try it and you will probably feel a whole lot better.

Another article that might be helpful:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletter/may_june1.html

Here are testimonials from 2 people who have found help for their RA through a predominantly raw food diet (from the Hallelujah Acres website, which is a Christian-based raw food diet):

http://www.hacres.com/testimonies/testimonies.asp?catid=70

nappydee78
06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
WOW! My friend has been trying to get me to go to an All raw diet! Perhaps I should really check it out!

nappydee78
06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
WOW! My friend has been trying to get me to go to an All raw diet! Perhaps I should really check it out!

Afroboo
06-16-2005, 11:05 PM
:shocker: WOW my old thread is still here!

Incase u guys are wondering what I am going on about ..This thread was started by me ( I was Nappyjoy a while back and then had to register again when the site was having a make-over, so gave myself a new screename)

But thank u swingbolder for bringing my thread back up and the info on raw foods.. :D
Since I posted this thread I have to say that dispite the fact that I am on the Enbrel now ( have been on it for 2 years ) my condition has become worse :( and havent really see much change, which has got me thinking about trying other alternatives.
So I am glad u mentioned the raw food diet, I will look into it :)

Any more replies would be much appriciated :wub:

nappydee78
07-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Afroboo...

I have Lupus and RA and I can only imagine what you must be going through. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

One thing that has helped me tremendously is losing weight. I'm not sure if you are full figured or not, but I am and losing just roughly 40 pounds helped my condition. While I will always have Lupus and RA, I can work towards not letting it worsen.

I also work out at Curves and this helps me keep active. Some days are good days and others aren't, but knowing that I'm trying to help my body makes all the difference.

I wish you well and if you ever want to talk to someone you can PM me...

nappydee78 :)

Ameka
07-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Embrel is the bomb blicky, well according to RA patients.

I used to work at lobbying firm and we campaigned for Embrel. We had to collect stories for people who have RA and have taken embrel.

Let me just say that I DIDN'T hear ONE BAD THING about embrel. I talked to people who were in their early twenties to late 80s. The majority of them said that they had symptoms since they were pre-teen.

RA is no joke. This one lady told me that she was in so much pain one day that she couldn't even pick up her crying baby. She just sat by the crib and watched her baby cry.

That disease is devastating.

republicrat
07-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Sorry to hear this Afroboo.

PrincessDrRe
07-14-2005, 01:42 AM
I was diagnosed at 26.

I have "spells" where it is almost unbearable...and times when I forget I have RA. I believe mine was brought on/began - with Depo Provera shots....but that's JMO.

auntme
07-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I am not young but I know the disabling and painful horrors of RA. I am sorry to hear that you are afflicted at such a young age.