PDA

View Full Version : "messy" Locs

RamaLove
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I know that some people are into very manicured and well groomed locs. Are there any loc'ers out there that want to rock messy locs. By messy I mean just not as well manicured. I would love some long fuzzy locs :wub:.

If you do wear them or want to are you concerned about what people may think or do you want to wear them, but your job is not as accepting as you would like.

Just wanted to put my feelers out there for anyone who feels the same

DeBe
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
I know that some people are into very manicured and well groomed locs. Are there any loc'ers out there that want to rock messy locs. By messy I mean just not as well manicured. I would love some long fuzzy locs :wub:.

If you do wear them or want to are you concerned about what people may think or do you want to wear them, but your job is not as accepting as you would like.

Just wanted to put my feelers out there for anyone who feels the same
[/b]

I've gone for the more manicured look (started with sisterlocks) because my natural hair is so thick. I remember how wild it was as a child. Since growing up, I always said my hair would be short or relaxed - no more battling with that thick hair. Having seen how much thicker the hair looks with freeform locks I won't even try it. but I suspect I'll combine to thicker locks over the years . I like the more casual look generally, even when my hair was relaxed, so I can't see me holding an overly manicured look once the first novelty wears off, maybe in 2/3 years - who knows..... :D

Love seeing the more 'messy' version on other heads though!

De

rastagalNJ
09-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I was into twisting faithfully every 4-6 weeks but have since relaxed my feelings about "messy" locs. Now I twist when I feel like it (which isn't often) but since I do braid outs and roll my locs on rollers to make them curly you can't always tell that my roots are so wild.

sharynleigh
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
I guess my locs can be considered a bit "messy". I lightly twirl the first two rows and fingerlatch the back every now and then. They never look "manicured", they just look like they will soon need a retwist. I like that look a lot. I pull 'em up every which way but most of the time I look like a moppet.

RamaLove
09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
I also very thick hair, but I like the "wild" look....LOL. I can't wait till my hair gets longer so my locs can be a bit bushy.

jenoy
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I consider myself a thin napp, so I'm definitely going for the less manicured look. I'm only six months into locing, but when it's a little bushy it looks fuller. :)

blackangel73
09-17-2006, 12:43 AM
I've grown fond of the "messy" less manicured look. because that's what my locs do naturally.

I've been freeforming since May.

I didn't want to make my hair do anything that was too far from what it does naturally.
(I didn't start out this way....at first, I obsessively checked out my reflection constantly. When I realized that I might as well still be straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream if I was gonna act like this, I grew more comfy with lettin 'em be.)

swingbolder
09-17-2006, 01:09 AM
My first set of locks were very manicured. I wore them that way for years, often braiding them for that crimped look.

This time around, I'm freeforming. This is due to the way I started them (as braids), the roots don't stay twisted. I tried latching, but wasn't feeling it. So freeforming it is. I'm finding that I have WAY more volume this way. :)

Truessence
09-17-2006, 09:53 AM
They never look "manicured", they just look like they will soon need a retwist. I like that look a lot.
[/b]

This is how my locs always look. I use to get them retwisted every two weeks. Now I get retwisted every month. I like the messy look of my locs.

DeBe
09-17-2006, 04:27 PM
[clip].........I didn't start out this way....at first, I obsessively checked out my reflection constantly. [/b]

I'm only 4 months in, so I'm still at this stage.....

[clip].........When I realized that I might as well still be straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream if I was gonna act like this, I grew more comfy with lettin 'em be.
[/b]

I've been thinking the same thing about the time I spend on my hair at the moment (my hair's quite soft and unravels fairly easily) In fact I spend more time now than I ever did on my hair!

If it still takes up too much time after it settles, I see me combining many of them.

De

mochalocks
09-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I love my "messy" locks...

iasade
09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I am wrapping up my 6th month, but I usually wear them more manicured mon-fri and when I get off from work on fri, I let my hair flow wild the whole weekend. I am doing this now because my hair is not really long enough to pull back in a pony-tail, but when I get my pony-tail length, I will be doing less manicuring!

Ebonique
09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I like the messy look. My newly twisted locs don't tend to last long and after a week, they already look like I didn't do anything to them. It doesn't help either that I now only get them done like every 2 months now.