PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go?

Woody
01-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie and I grew my relaxer out. I am also 3 months pregnant and just arrived in New York City area. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to find a Natural Black Hair Care Professional that could help me with my naps. I don't know how to take care of my natural hair nor make it look good. I haven't seen it in over 20 years.

Please help. I currently put braid extensions in my hair, but I want to sport my natural hair.

Thanks for all the help.

Peace and Blessings.

Dolliesdaughter
01-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Once you find a salon I would like to suggest that you eventually learn how to care for your own hair.

What is the state of you hair now?
How long?
What are the expectations that you have for your hair?
Are they really acheivable?

Please check out other ladies albums, a lot of them have skills. I can't speak for myself, I can only do twist but I had to learn how to do them.

naturalhairlover
01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Black Hairstyles & Trends Magazine lists "The Natural Parlor" and Khamit Kinks" in NYC. I'm in California, so I have never been to these salons, but it's a start.

blkrose
01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Woody@Jan 27 2004, 12:07 PM
just arrived in New York City area. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to find a Natural Black Hair Care Professional that could help me with my naps.
I live in the NY area, and your in the right place right now!!!!!!NAPPTURALITY.COM. I feel alot of the salons, especially those in NYC are over priced for service they do that you can do yourself. Khamit Kinks is one one them. They use Carol's Daughter products so why do you need to give them your hard earned money when you can purchase and use her products yourself.

I have also learned that they all all in competition with each other. When two-strand twist came out strong last summer everyone was doing them for about $100.00, Khamit Kinks had them advertised a year earlier in Essence and priced theirs for $350.00. I called them because It was a new style and was cute. They had the nerve to say it was the special hair they used (what kinky synthetic). A year later, heck u can get a two strand twist style for $80.00.

I say this to say. You have decided to become natural now its time to start loving your hair and loving your hair is caring for your hair - yourself

PERSONAL OPINION HERE

nappdiva
01-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by blkrose+Jan 27 2004, 01:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blkrose @ Jan 27 2004, 01:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Woody@Jan 27 2004, 12:07 PM
just arrived in New York City area. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to find a Natural Black Hair Care Professional that could help me with my naps.
I live in the NY area, and your in the right place right now!!!!!!NAPPTURALITY.COM. I feel alot of the salons, especially those in NYC are over priced for service they do that you can do yourself. Khamit Kinks is one one them. They use Carol&#39;s Daughter products so why do you need to give them your hard earned money when you can purchase and use her products yourself.

I have also learned that they all all in competition with each other. When two-strand twist came out strong last summer everyone was doing them for about $100.00, Khamit Kinks had them advertised a year earlier in Essence and priced theirs for $350.00. I called them because It was a new style and was cute. They had the nerve to say it was the special hair they used (what kinky synthetic). A year later, heck u can get a two strand twist style for $80.00.

I say this to say. You have decided to become natural now its time to start loving your hair and loving your hair is caring for your hair - yourself

PERSONAL OPINION HERE [/b][/quote]
:app :app :app :app :app

Sistagirl knows what she&#39;s talking about. But try to find less metro areas, sometimes you get a break on the price.

I sometimes go to a place called Yacines&#39; on 125th and Lenox. She is the only person who&#39;s staff doesn&#39;t kill me when it comes to braiding or twisting hair for various styles. She&#39;s located right next to Jennifer Convertible and an African Fabric store. Prices are reasonable too. :rainfro

carlaw78
01-28-2004, 09:01 AM
U might want to do a search in the Napptural Hair Services forum for some beautician recommendation in New York...Good Luck

Woody
01-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, I greatly appreciate it.

My new hair is so foreign to me, I don&#39;t know where to start nor how to style it, other than braid extensions which I don&#39;t want to keep doing.

I need a starting point and then I can go from there.

The only expections I have for my hair now is to be healthy and look good.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peace & Blessings

Woody