PDA

View Full Version : BBD GLASS/CAROL'S DAUGHTERS ?????

Nigeria
01-23-2003, 02:04 PM
I have been hearing alot about BBD Glass Creme and I was wondering if it was a good finishing product for all hair types and lengths? Where can you purchase it? What about Carols Daughters products.

I am looking for a finishing product that will make my hair look and feel soft and w/ shine. Help Pleaseee :D

lydicarol
01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Hey Nigeria,

I can only give you limited information on BBD Glass. I tried it and thought that it was simply okay but there are others on the board who have given it rave reviews. It makes a great finishing product if you use a leave in beforehand since it's a styling product moreso than a moisturizer.

As for CD, I'm a big fan of her products. You can check her site out at
http://www.carolsdaughters.com

I use the Healthy Hair Butter as an after shampoo leave in and for my two strand twists and I use the Mimosa Hair Honey for shine (only on my twists).

Hope this helps!!

N4U2LM
01-24-2003, 08:43 AM
I can't tell ya anything about the BBD:(

Carol's Daughters products that I've tried:

Mimosa
HairMilk
HairButter
Kizzie

Mimosa - Smells really good:) I was a bit disappointed in the product itself though:( It was very greasylike imo. It did leave your hair shiny.... but I didn't like it. It didn't leave my hair soft or do anything special that cheaper products haven't done. I brought... and its been sitting for a while now. I do plan to play in it again just to see what will happen.

Hair Milk - That stuff is sooooooooo strong. Its like a hair lotion... it does leave a nice shine.... but I couldn't get past the smell. I'd walk around and have a "halo" of the smell over my head. Its not a "stink" smell... but something that I don't care to smell when I'm wearing perfume or (which actually happened to me once).. I was laying on my man (leaning my head on his chest) ... and his shirt ended up smelling like it. That wasn't cool to me. I also don't like the way it "separates".

Hair Butter - It has an "interesting" smell. I didn't like it though. It did leave my hair soft... but I just didn't like the smell and it was weird.... it didn't do anything that a good ole hair lotion couldn't do:) It did help my hair out in the comb out process though:) Its good for moisture... at least it was for me and my hair:)

Kizzie - I LOVED this stuff:) I wish she would have put it in a larger container. It smells really good. She suggest you to use it for flyaways and to slick your hair back.... well... I just worked it into my hair.... wet my hands and worked my hair and it left my hair sooooooooo soft and I loved the shine. It comes in a little container.... think of those shoe polish containers (the round ones). Its about 2-3 sizes of the Susan B. Anthony coins put togethr. More like 2.5.

Tina

urbania
01-24-2003, 11:43 AM
I personally love Carol's Daughter. Since I am not on the East Coast anymore, I order her products on-line, but nothing beats visiting her store in Brooklyn. On second thought, ordering online is cheaper, because you want everything when you go into the store. As someone mentioned, many of her products can do "the same thing" as cheaper products from the stores, but the upside is that all her products are natural and handmade. To me that makes a differences. The Hair Milk does have a strong scent, but its other properties are good. I use it on my three year olds hair after its been washed. My favorite products are Hair Butter, especially around the edges on dry hair. It melts into your hair. Also on twists. I also like a versatile product called Fig Butter. It comes in a tin and is marketed towards men but I like the smell for hair and skin. I am also a big fan of Tui Hair Oil (good general oil, hot oil treatments, etc.) and Lisa's Hair Elixir (minty smell and scalp feel). I could go on and on but I won't. I hope this was helpful. Check out the website or visit the store if you're in the area.

Curlicious
01-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Just to throw in my two cents...some people have had luck using BBD Glass as a curl definition/holding product. I've only used it a few times since I don't really like using stlying products on a daily basis. I think some people also use it for twists and twist-outs.

As an alternative to Carol's Daughter, I've been using products from Elemiskin. They're not as heavy as CD product and arguably made from higher quality ingredients. They smell better IMO too but that's a matter of personal taste. Just wanted to pass along the info.

Nigeria
01-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for your opionions, I decided to purchase a few items from CD, I hope I enjoy them. The fact that she makes her products and they are natural, makes me want to try them.

Before deciding to go natural I was a hair product juckie, so now I hope I don't OD trying to look for that right product. :roll:

elleebeme5
01-25-2003, 02:47 PM
I like the CD big three that most people talk about: Healthy Hair butter, Hair Milk and Hair Honey. I used the hair milk as a leave in after shampoo but this week I used the HHB and liked that. When I had coils and cornrows, I would rub the MHH on them for shine every few days or so.

CEE26
01-26-2003, 11:01 PM
I'M STILL LOOKING FOR BBD GLASS....AS FOR CAROL'S DAUGHTER..

SO FAR I ONLY LIKE THE MIMOSA HAIR HONEY

urbania
01-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Someone mentioned Elemiskin as an alternative to Carol's Daughter. Even though I like CD's products, I am interested in knowing more about this line as well.

Someone also mentioned being a hair junkie before going natural. Well, I have had my hair perm free since 1990 and at 30 years old I am still a hair product junkie. There are just as many products to attract your attention. Have fun with it! And let me know which new ones you discover.

Has anyone ever used any of the warm spirit products?

Naturally,
loving me.

TAC

jmnappy
01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
I like Carol's Daughter's products. I've tried the hair butter, mimosa honey, and the hair milk. I don't particularly care for the strong smells, but they all work great.

Ebonique
01-29-2003, 03:12 AM
I've used the BBD glass. I used it when I wore my hair in a free form afro. It defined the curls a little bit, but it takes a long time to dry. My hair always felt "wet" during the day. then it got crunchy. It reminded me of when I wore the jheri curl.

I haven't used Carol's daughter in a long time. I like her skin products more than her hair products. The ones I like best are the hair oils. The scents I like best. I tried the hair butter and milk and it left my hair kinda greasy. Plus I had a filmy look, which I think may have been because of the beeswax.

Curlysaurus
01-29-2003, 03:34 AM
I bought CD MHH (name?) didn't do too much for me. The Marguerite's stuff got kind of gritty.

I'd like to try the BBD Glass is a good substitute.

Brit
01-30-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm a little late on commenting on this one, but I really like BBD Glass Curling Creme. At first I was a little standoffish about using it because the ingredients are not listed and this is the only product that I use that is not 100% natural. But I use it for most of my hairstyles. It keeps comb coils and twists from looking fuzzy and gives a fierce twistout. And it is really good for locking in moisture. I put shea butter on and then BBD glass over it. The only downside is that my hair does stay wet forever with it in. I really do like the product and even though it seems costly, the jar is huge and will last you for half a year or more. Oh did I mention that my hair is super healthy so Glass obviously isn't damaging.

About CD, the only CD product that I use is Khoret Amen Oil and let me tell you, it is a staple product. It smells good and my hair is always shiny and nice.

HTH :D

NappyGirl01
01-30-2003, 10:43 PM
I like the BBD glass as well.

Nappy

earthangel
01-31-2003, 12:08 AM
I use CD's Marguerite's Hair Magic. It's a hairdressing creme that I use to touch up my twists between hair washes. Love it, because it's really light, and it leaves a nice sheen for SEVERAL days, even in this east coast arctic weather! :D

TeaKyoo
02-01-2003, 08:10 PM
I have been hearing alot about BBD Glass Creme and I was wondering if it was a good finishing product for all hair types and lengths? Where can you purchase it? What about Carols Daughters products.

I am looking for a finishing product that will make my hair look and feel soft and w/ shine. Help Pleaseee :D

[b]BBD Glass is great for certain hair types. I like it for my hair but only once in a while. The best think I can say is experiement maybe you can swap some a sample of products to see if it works for your hair.

TQ

noname
02-02-2003, 03:27 PM
I like the BBD glass as well. I definitely like the coconut one that just recently came out and the jar lasts for quite sometime for $6.50 a jar. Has anyone ever used Big Bad D's keala oil. I love the original one and the lemon scented, but the cherry oil and glass I can take or leave cause it's just a little overwhelming.

Nappy Where did you get it from?

NappyGirl01
02-02-2003, 05:41 PM
NapturalBev,

I'm a licensed cosmetologist so that's how I get such good prices on hair products.....

Nappy

scurrie
02-04-2003, 08:11 PM
I used Carol's Daughter Healthy Butter last week on my twist a few days before I took them out and when I took them out my hair was SOOOOO soft. I couldn't believe it :Fade-color The smell is not bad but it takes some getting used to. This morning I put a little Mimosa Hair Honey and I'm in love w/ the smell :P it seems to be keeping my hair moist throughout the day so far. My question is, has anyone w/ 4b hair used these products on puffs? If so, how did the moist hold up?

Sekhmet
04-22-2003, 06:30 PM
bumping for peachykeen

NubianQueen
04-22-2003, 11:46 PM
I used Carol's Daughter Healthy Butter last week on my twist a few days before I took them out and when I took them out my hair was SOOOOO soft. I couldn't believe it :Fade-color The smell is not bad but it takes some getting used to. This morning I put a little Mimosa Hair Honey and I'm in love w/ the smell :P it seems to be keeping my hair moist throughout the day so far. My question is, has anyone w/ 4b hair used these products on puffs? If so, how did the moist hold up?

Afro puff:
Last summer I used the Healthy Hair Butter to comb out my hair and do an Afro puff. The moisture held up fine. After I use the HHB, I don't put anymore in my hair until the next time I wash (every 7-10 days). If my hair starts to get a little dry, I'll add some hair milk to my hair for softness and moisture.

Curly Puff:
To get mileage out of my twistout, I add hair milk (very small amount) then push my hair up into a puff. Using Mimosa Hair Honey works well for this too. Once again the moisture last just fine. HTH

Curlysaurus
04-23-2003, 01:02 AM
[quote] I'd like to try the BBD Glass

Since my last post above, I did obtain some free BBD Gl :D !!).

I don't think I know how to use it or it doesn't work or?? I applied it to wet hair and all I got was little crumblies that looked like dandruff and which had to be rinsed out :? :( . Maybe the product has dried out somewhat? I don't know but I'll give it another try (hopefully this weekend) then I'll put it up on the "free to a good" home auction block if doesn't work out. . . .

Still loving my CD MHH though!! :D

napster
10-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Nigeria,
as much as i like BBD Glass,my best finishing product,especially for free form styles is AVEDA Brilliant Humectant Pomade.It keeps my hair moistened all day with great sheen and it's much easier to apply and dries faster than BBD Glass.

napster
10-28-2003, 05:44 PM
lol,Curlysaurus,
the first time i tried the glass,i felt the same way.But the next applic was better.
What i do is this: i apply it minimally to dripping wet hair,section by section until i'm done.Then i dab the ends lightly with a face towel to remove those white specks at the tip of my hair strands and use a medium-heat dryer to get out most of the moisture,THEN let it air dry.It works great for me.

sweetcurl
10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
I agree with Napster
It should be put on soaking wet hair and section by section.

It does take an incredibly longggggggggg time to dry- but for me the curl definiton is great.

Its less crunchy when you use BBD Stretch underneath it but BBD Stretch's price is definately what i call prohibitive

Anyhoo
hope this helps