PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Situation Is.....well I Don't Know.

msoyekan
09-29-2006, 03:38 PM
O.K. Help me out here. I think I may have alopecia. I've made an appt with a dermatologist for next week. In the meantime my issue is styling. It is so hard to style hair that is chin length to begin, then add the fact that there is a section the size of a golf ball in the back of your head with almost no hair. What do you do. I've done bantu knots, two french braids, 4 french braids and braid outs. I also tried two strand twists, I really didn't like it. That was like wearing a sign saying "HEY LOOK AT THE HOLE IN MY HAIR". To be quite honest the only thing that really looks right are the 4 french braids and the knots b/c you can't see the breakage/hairloss as well with it. I really just want to cut it off but I will not until I know for sure what's going on with the back. BUT I am so tempted to chop it off myself.

Does anyone have my same issue? If so, how did you remedy the situation? How do you style that? I'm hoping that it's not alopecia b/c I'd have a whole bunch more options if it's not. I've been transitioning since Mid May 2006. My original BC day was May 2007. Now I'm thinking about chopping it off as soon as I find out whether it's alopecia or not. You see, I don't want to chop it off to find out it won't grow back. It'll look so ugly growing out everywere but that big ol' spot. I cringe just thinking about that. Any advice or words of encouragement would really help a sister out.

Thanks in advance ladies.

gr2006
09-30-2006, 07:17 AM
O.K. Help me out here. I think I may have alopecia. I've made an appt with a dermatologist for next week. In the meantime my issue is styling. It is so hard to style hair that is chin length to begin, then add the fact that there is a section the size of a golf ball in the back of your head with almost no hair. What do you do. I've done bantu knots, two french braids, 4 french braids and braid outs. I also tried two strand twists, I really didn't like it. That was like wearing a sign saying "HEY LOOK AT THE HOLE IN MY HAIR". To be quite honest the only thing that really looks right are the 4 french braids and the knots b/c you can't see the breakage/hairloss as well with it. I really just want to cut it off but I will not until I know for sure what's going on with the back. BUT I am so tempted to chop it off myself.

Does anyone have my same issue? If so, how did you remedy the situation? How do you style that? I'm hoping that it's not alopecia b/c I'd have a whole bunch more options if it's not. I've been transitioning since Mid May 2006. My original BC day was May 2007. Now I'm thinking about chopping it off as soon as I find out whether it's alopecia or not. You see, I don't want to chop it off to find out it won't grow back. It'll look so ugly growing out everywere but that big ol' spot. I cringe just thinking about that. Any advice or words of encouragement would really help a sister out.
Thanks in advance ladies.
[/b]

Hi msoyekan!

don't cut your hair just yet unless of course you plan on shaving it bald......try to work with what you have, k?

i have a smilar problem. it'd take some very creative twisting to hide the spot i had. it took a combination of flat twisting over the area and creative bobby pinning (or insert a conveniently placed hair accessory). i had flat twists in front and did regular two strands in the back. those skinny scarves would work pretty good too if i just wore my hair loose behind the flat twists. i'd place the scarf (walmart's gotta alot!) like where'd you'd place a plastic headband and fluff the surrounding hair to cover the spot - sometimes it'd take the help of a hair pin or two to get it to stay covered (it's a bit better now because at least the scalp isn't screaming: Here i am!).

i had also considered getting some sort of kinky-type weave hair to loosely incorporate into the flat twists to give the illusion of bulk in that area without putting stress on the surrounding follicles. i think if the shedding had really gotten worse, i'd persued that thought more and figured out a way to work it. perhaps it's something you can think about. i don't know if the BBS stores sell kinky/nappy phony ponys (i bet they do or perhaps an online store may also) but that's something to shop around for. if you can find one that resembles your hair close enough...i'd think doing some flat twists then using the pony behind it could be an idea. you could just leave it as is and see how some two strands would look on the phony. see if you can work a style from it - 1/2 loose twists and a puff.

just throwing out ideas here.

it'll take a little creativeness on your part but when you're sitting around relaxing at home, take a bit of time and a couple mirrors and do some experiementing.

i'm happy and so grateful to God to say that the hair is finally starting to grow back now....it's only about 2-3 inches in some spots and 1/4 inch in others but at least it's growing. the new hair is nothing like it was before. it's bone straight - like newborn baby's hair and i have no idea how long it will take for it to look "normal" enough to fit in with the rest of what's on my head.

i refuse to stress over it though.

i guess what i'm trying to say is.....don't put the additional pressure on yourself to do something that you KNOW you may have second guesses about. BCing for me with this alopecia would cause a ridiculous amount of unnecessary drama. i've never had short hair in my life and to have short hair and 1/2 bald spots - no way!)

you may be a braver woman than me though. it's all about how you feel girl!

i probably haven't been much help to you and for that i apologize. i really just wanted you to know you're not alone dealing with this.

you really should try to get through the alopecia first though before making any final decisions.

you're going to go see a derm. and that's an excellent first step!!

remember, it's gonna take alot of time and patience. if what you have is alopecia aerata then the chances that it's only going to be a temporary condition is going to be very good and you're hair will return with some time.

you might also want to search around this forum as there are a few natural treatments and therapies you can try in the meantime - my derm told me that none of them will hurt including monoxidil (the goal is to jump start your sleeping follicles)

good luck to you..

msoyekan
10-04-2006, 12:42 AM
gr,

Actually, you did help a sister out. You gave me hope and ideas girl.. THANKS. You know hw when you ask a question you just won't be comforted until you hear from someone whose been thru it that everything will be ok? Well that's pretty much what you've done for me.

I went ahead the other day and created myself a style to last the whole week. the back ,ie: problem area, is flat twisted to go up in a ponytail. the top front was parted into a square and I put that hump that everybody is wearing and put all the rest of the hair in a ponytail that's tucked under and fanned. It's real cute. I love it. I'm gonna take some pics tonight so I can remember this one. I can't believe I came up with it. I'm so excited.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi msoyekan!
don't cut your hair just yet unless of course you plan on shaving it bald......try to work with what you have, k?

i have a smilar problem. it'd take some very creative twisting to hide the spot i had. it took a combination of flat twisting over the area and creative bobby pinning (or insert a conveniently placed hair accessory). i had flat twists in front and did regular two strands in the back. those skinny scarves would work pretty good too if i just wore my hair loose behind the flat twists. i'd place the scarf (walmart's gotta alot!) like where'd you'd place a plastic headband and fluff the surrounding hair to cover the spot - sometimes it'd take the help of a hair pin or two to get it to stay covered (it's a bit better now because at least the scalp isn't screaming: Here i am!).

i had also considered getting some sort of kinky-type weave hair to loosely incorporate into the flat twists to give the illusion of bulk in that area without putting stress on the surrounding follicles. i think if the shedding had really gotten worse, i'd persued that thought more and figured out a way to work it. perhaps it's something you can think about. i don't know if the BBS stores sell kinky/nappy phony ponys (i bet they do or perhaps an online store may also) but that's something to shop around for. if you can find one that resembles your hair close enough...i'd think doing some flat twists then using the pony behind it could be an idea. you could just leave it as is and see how some two strands would look on the phony. see if you can work a style from it - 1/2 loose twists and a puff.

just throwing out ideas here.

it'll take a little creativeness on your part but when you're sitting around relaxing at home, take a bit of time and a couple mirrors and do some experiementing.

i'm happy and so grateful to God to say that the hair is finally starting to grow back now....it's only about 2-3 inches in some spots and 1/4 inch in others but at least it's growing. the new hair is nothing like it was before. it's bone straight - like newborn baby's hair and i have no idea how long it will take for it to look "normal" enough to fit in with the rest of what's on my head.

i refuse to stress over it though.

i guess what i'm trying to say is.....don't put the additional pressure on yourself to do something that you KNOW you may have second guesses about. BCing for me with this alopecia would cause a ridiculous amount of unnecessary drama. i've never had short hair in my life and to have short hair and 1/2 bald spots - no way!)

you may be a braver woman than me though. it's all about how you feel girl!

i probably haven't been much help to you and for that i apologize. i really just wanted you to know you're not alone dealing with this.

you really should try to get through the alopecia first though before making any final decisions.

you're going to go see a derm. and that's an excellent first step!!

remember, it's gonna take alot of time and patience. if what you have is alopecia aerata then the chances that it's only going to be a temporary condition is going to be very good and you're hair will return with some time.

you might also want to search around this forum as there are a few natural treatments and therapies you can try in the meantime - my derm told me that none of them will hurt including monoxidil (the goal is to jump start your sleeping follicles)

good luck to you..
[/b]

gr2006
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
gr,

Actually, you did help a sister out. You gave me hope and ideas girl.. THANKS. You know hw when you ask a question you just won't be comforted until you hear from someone whose been thru it that everything will be ok? Well that's pretty much what you've done for me.

I went ahead the other day and created myself a style to last the whole week. the back ,ie: problem area, is flat twisted to go up in a ponytail. the top front was parted into a square and I put that hump that everybody is wearing and put all the rest of the hair in a ponytail that's tucked under and fanned. It's real cute. I love it. I'm gonna take some pics tonight so I can remember this one. I can't believe I came up with it. I'm so excited.

Thanks a bunch.
[/b]

yyou're so welcome missy....glad i could help in some way.

i'd love to see your pictures btw!!

i had my son take a couple of my bald spot at it's worse.....it's somewhere amongst the threads in this forum actually. he dogged the discs for the camcorder with so much of his junk that now there's no more room for more pictures.

soon as i get another disc or 2 i'll post some recovery pictures.....

hang in there - it WILL get better and keep working those styles!!

msoyekan
10-05-2006, 11:58 PM
when I wash my hair on Sunday I'll take pics. The thing is, I don't know how to post pics on here. Would you be able to tell me how?

Thanks a bunch for your support and advice.

Ms. O

gr2006
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
when I wash my hair on Sunday I'll take pics. The thing is, I don't know how to post pics on here. Would you be able to tell me how?

Thanks a bunch for your support and advice.

Ms. O
[/b]

ok what you need to do first is upload your pics to your pc.

next, you'll need to get the pix from your pc to the internet. you'll need to find an image hosting webpage.

try this page that has several image hosting sites (check the ratings): Image Hosting Sites (http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php)

after that, you'll need to either post the image to nappturality or post a link to your image (the hosting site will prolly give you a link you can simply cut and paste to here).

gr2006
10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
for this image i used photobucket.com (http://photobucket.com/), msoyekan. they're pretty good and you'll rarely get a "website down" message from them.

this was taken about May or June, 2006 - stopped the chemical fire cream madness in about feb/march (can't really remember). it started almost in the middle of my head then began traveling down and to the right side. the total spot when the shedding ended was about 2-2.5 inches in circumference. i also had another spot behind my left ear that i just became aware about recently - it was about the size of a quarter.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m4/lynnieb_2006/originalalopecia.jpg

doesn't look like much to most but it caused a world of grief for me.

taken a few days ago - so let's say it took a good 8 months to get here:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m4/lynnieb_2006/lynnie6-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m4/lynnieb_2006/alopecia.jpg (sorry for the blurs)

There IS hope - don't get discouraged!

msoyekan
10-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm going to get this oil by Aveda, it had jojoda, rosemary and other oil. In addition to what I'm using as my poo and cond. Nioxin Cleanser, and Follicure conditioner and olive oil as my moisturizer. What do you think about my regimen so far. By the way, I BC'd on the 13th. I had too the style I had was on my last nerve. Everything seems to be ok so far.