PDA

View Full Version : Did Your Seborrehic Dermatitis Got Worse With Age?

CEE30
10-03-2006, 07:22 AM
I've read a few years back with age it gets worse? I starting to believe it's true.. I've notice that it is alot worse then before.. I still have it under control as for as the flakes on my scalp..i use Head and shoulders every 5-6 days..and sometimes when I can afford it I buy Nirozal..

JustKei
10-05-2006, 07:18 PM
It used to be worse. But back then I didnt pay attention to what I used on my scalp. These days I always use a medicated shampoo.

naturaltruth2
10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello,

Right now, I'm at my wits end. I don't have a problem with my hair, which my everyday routine is to use a water spiritz and use either Qhemet's heavy cream or Olive & Honey balm. Anyway, my scalp as been acting up since the weather has changed and I'm trying all kinds of remedies to deal with the problem. My hair just keeps flaking, getting crusts and it is frustrating. :( My hormones usually effect my scalp every time Aunt Flo comes around. But this time, after the period, it still persists. Prior to this, even when period was approaching, my scalp would flake but not as bad. Now, it's around my edges, different spots in my head and it's driving me crazy. I have Jason's dandruff shampoo at home but it makes my hair hard. :( Still, I used a little of it diluted in water that was infused with neem leaves & 4 grains of cloves. Clove is a very good anticeptic(sp?) so I used some of that. I'm gonna try Rosemary oil next and see where that I gets me. Just when I thought I had it under control, it flairs up again. *sigh* :(

Ooops! I didn't really answer your question. I don't know if it gets worse at you get older but as you see from my prior dilemma, I think it's a matter of trying to stablize it and keep under control. I really wish there was cure for this. :( Thanks for letting me vent.

Nappalonia
12-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I've never heard that it gets worse with age.

But I do know that if you have SD and you are constantly putting petroleum and mineral oil based products on your scalp, you will contunue to have sores and scabs, dandruff shampoos can only do so much.

SD is an OVER production of sebum, adding more oils especially thick petro and mineral oil products will only coat the scalp and not allow it to breathe.

I finally got the message after I had to cut my locs 3 years ago. No oil has touched my scalp/hair in 3 years and I have not had a scab or sore since.

OHR
12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I've had to go back to using my prescription triamcinolone acetonide ointment on my scalp this winter. It helps calm down my flareups. I hate to do it, because of the petroleum/mineral oil base, but it does lessen the
amount of scaling I experience. Thank goodness I've found that ACV rinses help as well.

Cutie McPretty
12-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I don't know about age but winter has been a huge nuisance for my scalp always. I've been slacking on using my Loprox shampoo and Desoximetasone ointment but will have to go back to using them both regularly. My SD is flaring up like crazy this winter.

I thought that my scalp issues would at least ease up some after I went back to wearing my hair natural -- soooo wrong. I swear I feel like cutting all my hair off at times so that I can tend to my scalp the way I need to it seems.

Nappalonia
12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I've had to go back to using my prescription triamcinolone acetonide ointment on my scalp this winter. It helps calm down my flareups. I hate to do it, because of the petroleum/mineral oil base, but it does lessen the amount of scaling I experience. [/b]

There are 2 formulas. Ask for the 'lotion', I don't ever get the one with petro/mineral oil.

The other prescription that's good for treating SD is - Clobetasol Propionate. (water based)

Good luck with this ladies.

naturaltruth2
12-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone,

This winter has been horrible for me. I went to the dermie at the end of November and he prescribed me DermaSmootheFS & Loprox Shampoo. The DermaSmoothe contains mineral oil and peanut oil. Loprox has SLS. Nevertheless, I used them for pass 3 weeks. It is not working. It seems that it has made the dermatitis worse. I have to go through 2-3 settings of washes in order for my hair to be clean of flakes. And even that does not help because the dermatitis comes right back. I used the Loprox Shampoo by itself to see if will work on it's on own; it didn't work either. I decided to break the routine and go back to using ACV as a pre-conditioner and use avalon's lemon clarifying conditioner and shampoo. Right now, if I touch my hair or scalp, guaranteed to see a 'snow fall' of flakes. I'm just frustrated and I'm thinking of doing another round of washing to remove the flakes. :( *sigh*

Aspyre
01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm 23 and I first noticed the SD after I had my son 5 years ago. I went to my doc today and he told me toalternate shampooing every other day with Neutrogena T-Gel, Head and Shoulders, and Nizoral. He said to avoid the oils becuase even though the scalp feels dry, I really have an overproduction of sebum Does anyone have any suggestions for what to moisturize my scalp with? I'm going to try aloe vera gel. I'm also combing out my locs after 9 months of locing and I want to cry but I need to take care of my scalp and my hair is falling out anyway. The doc said a free-form fro is the best style right now because braids of any kind will just aggravate the scalp.

Jazitones
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I used to get this when I had a perm. I know longer get it in my scalp and I just get it alot on my face which is very annoying. I have to get special ointment from the dr's any order for it to go away.

Nappalonia
01-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone,

This winter has been horrible for me. I went to the dermie at the end of November and he prescribed me DermaSmootheFS & Loprox Shampoo. The DermaSmoothe contains mineral oil and peanut oil. Loprox has SLS. Nevertheless, I used them for pass 3 weeks. It is not working. It seems that it has made the dermatitis worse. I have to go through 2-3 settings of washes in order for my hair to be clean of flakes. And even that does not help because the dermatitis comes right back. I used the Loprox Shampoo by itself to see if will work on it's on own; it didn't work either. I decided to break the routine and go back to using ACV as a pre-conditioner and use avalon's lemon clarifying conditioner and shampoo. Right now, if I touch my hair or scalp, guaranteed to see a 'snow fall' of flakes. I'm just frustrated and I'm thinking of doing another round of washing to remove the flakes. :( *sigh*
[/b]

Yep Loprox seems to make things worse. My derm put me on Loprox last year sometime and my skin and scalp seemed to get worse and worse, I went back and he told me to keep using it that it would get better with time.......please, I threw that mess in the trash!!

I really don't understand why "Dr's" prescribe Mineral Oil based products for SD I just don't understand that at all :rolleyes: But I guess the money is in the treatment not the cure..........

grapevine
01-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I've read a few years back with age it gets worse? I starting to believe it's true.. I've notice that it is alot worse then before.. I still have it under control as for as the flakes on my scalp..i use Head and shoulders every 5-6 days..and sometimes when I can afford it I buy Nirozal..
[/b]
Mine seems to be getting worse with age as well. I use head and shoulders condittioner to co-wash now and I'm better off than when i use the shampoo. Nizoral makes my hair hopelessly dry.

naturaltruth2
01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Yep Loprox seems to make things worse. My derm put me on Loprox last year sometime and my skin and scalp seemed to get worse and worse, I went back and he told me to keep using it that it would get better with time.......please, I threw that mess in the trash!!

I really don't understand why "Dr's" prescribe Mineral Oil based products for SD I just don't understand that at all :rolleyes: But I guess the money is in the treatment not the cure..........
[/b]

I was quite surprised myself that he prescribed the oil. But I read how other people on NP used it and it helped them. So I thought it would work for me. I was wrong. Loprox is totally ineffective. It just makes your hair hard. I have resorted to try use some homemade remedies that are posted here on NP or make my own. Something has to give and I need to get this scalp issue under control. I'm also consider getting some type of filter to see if that would help.

delta98
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Hello,

Right now, I'm at my wits end. I don't have a problem with my hair, which my everyday routine is to use a water spiritz and use either Qhemet's heavy cream or Olive & Honey balm. Anyway, my scalp as been acting up since the weather has changed and I'm trying all kinds of remedies to deal with the problem. My hair just keeps flaking, getting crusts and it is frustrating. :( My hormones usually effect my scalp every time Aunt Flo comes around. But this time, after the period, it still persists. Prior to this, even when period was approaching, my scalp would flake but not as bad. [/b]

my scalp has been so sore and somewhat scaly in the top of my head where i have a short spot. Aunt Flo appeared today. This is the first time i noticed my scalp being sore around that time of the month. interesting connection....

natural06
02-02-2007, 12:16 AM
[/b]
What are some of the symptoms to sd because after washing my hair and applying just a little oil my head starts to itch all over again. Should i see a dermatologist for this.

Escoveitch
02-06-2007, 04:15 AM
What are some of the symptoms to sd because after washing my hair and applying just a little oil my head starts to itch all over again. Should i see a dermatologist for this.
[/b]
SD causes patches of greasy flakes, often associated with redness and itching. It often affects the scalp and may affect the eyebrows, sideburn areas, forehead and the sides of the nose as well. Mine is not limited to my scalp and it is very difficult to control, especially in winter. Maybe you are sensitive to the oil you are applying to your hair. It is always best to see a dermatologist.

Merry
03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought I'd throw this in here, I just ordered Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo
http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/
http://www.amazon.com/s.html/103-6514931-5...Green%20Alchemy (http://www.amazon.com/s.html/103-6514931-5921421?ie=UTF8&node=3760931&brand=Max%20Green%20Alchemy)
I've only heard positive stories from those with SD who use it, so I've decided to give it a try, I'll give a review after a couple weeks use.