PDA

View Full Version : Starting Tax Preparation Buisness

caramelaggie
10-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Hello Ladies,
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a book and started doing taxes for others the next tax season. I have now been inspired to do the same. I am presently taking classes in tax preparation and wanted to know if anyone else has done this venture and has any tips or suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

heartandsoul
10-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi Caramel

I haven't done this so I don't have any advice to give. I just wanted to let you knwo that I do think htat this is a worthwhile venture. Several people are making money by helping others do their income taxes. Best of luck. ;)

floetry22
10-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey,
I took some tax courses with Jackson Hewitt (basic & business) last tax season and worked as a tax preparer as well. It's definitely a lucrative business to start. I believe that if you become a paid preparer (not with JH, H&R, or any other company) you would need a tax preparer ID from the IRS and a business ID depending on your state. But a tax prep ID is always good to have because you don't your ss# on everyone's tax forms. I started out targeting people with simple 1040A, EZ forms first and then you can work your way up to the harder tax returns.

CoCo2000
10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Any help would be greatly appreciated![/b]

This franchise is owned by two young brothers (I think they are cousins) and they have been around for at least 10 years in the tax preparation business:

Colbert/Ball Tax Service Franchise Information (http://www.colbertballtax.com/franchiseIndex.php)

I first read about them in an article in Black Enterprise Magazine a couple of years ago. The article is about home-based franchises and the section about their tax service is on page 2 of the article under the heading "A Taxing Way To Build A Business." I had to log onto the site in order to search for the article, so hopefully you will be able to read it from the following link:

Black Enterprise Magazine Article (http://www.blackenterprise.com/Archiveopen.asp?Source=/archive2002/09/0902-42.htm&p=1)

If not, let me know and I will post the text of the article here.

HTH

caramelaggie
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Floetry and Coco thanks for the advice, it was some great info.