PDA

View Full Version : How do I protect my hair when I am working out?

HuGrad2002
03-04-2003, 06:24 PM
I rollerblade, play tennis, run on the treadmill and other things all the time. My hair feels awful when I sweat. Is there any suggestions on what to do with my hair after I finish working out?

mrandmrsmer
03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I'd like to know what to do, too, as I work out five to six days a week with Tae-Bo, and I SWEAT A LOT! I have been advised to either put my hair back in a very tight ponytail or one big braid. I have braids, so that's covering my hair for now, but I'm going to be taking them out soon and wearing my napptural hair. Whenever I work out, Iwear a wrap to absorb most of the sweat and to protect my hair. I hope other sistahs will be here SOON with their input! Thanks for posting this topic! :)

Twistie74
03-05-2003, 05:08 PM
You could rinse it out instead of hardcore shampooing :D

mahogany
03-12-2003, 08:38 PM
hth. I workout 5 days/week. During my workout I tie my head with a scarf. The scarf soaks up the sweat. And it keeps me from worrying about what my hair looks like at the gym. Afterwards I conditioner rinse and style as usual. After the conditioner and moisturizers my hair feels and looks normal.

mrandmrsmer
03-12-2003, 08:43 PM
hth. I workout 5 days/week. During my workout I tie my head with a scarf. The scarf soaks up the sweat. And it keeps me from worrying about what my hair looks like at the gym. Afterwards I conditioner rinse and style as usual. After the conditioner and moisturizers my hair feels and looks normal.

Thanks, mahogany, for that info. I wear a scarf now even with my braid extensions when I workout, so I'll just continue to do that. :) So, what is the procedure of your conditioner rinse? Do you just saturate your hair with the conditioner and rinse it out soon afterward or massage the scalp a bit?

mahogany
03-12-2003, 09:06 PM
So, what is the procedure of your conditioner rinse? Do you just saturate your hair with the conditioner and rinse it out soon afterward or massage the scalp a bit?

In the shower I drench my hair first and then massage the conditioner in. I then continue with my shower and after I've done everything else, I rinse the conditioner out. (I learned this tip from one of the nappturality.com ladies.) This lets the conditioner penetrate into my hair and the steam of the shower wakes it up. :)

skegee94
03-13-2003, 04:17 AM
I have about a four-inch 'fro, and I tie it in a cotton bandana during the workout. If I shower at the gym, I just rinse it thoroughly and towel/pat dry. I smooth on some Burts Bees Avocado Butter Hair Treatment, then tie on a CLEAN cotton scarf, until I can get home and take some time to do it (I work out in the evening, so styling it isn't a priority, unless I have plans to go out). I don't like to schlepp a bunch of stuff with me to the gym, so just a thorough rinse is fine. Sweat itself isn't dirty (but you want to get that salt out of your hair), so don't worry about shampoo.
Keep on sweatin'!!

mrandmrsmer
03-13-2003, 06:28 PM
In the shower I drench my hair first and then massage the conditioner in. I then continue with my shower and after I've done everything else, I rinse the conditioner out. (I learned this tip from one of the nappturality.com ladies.) This lets the conditioner penetrate into my hair and the steam of the shower wakes it up. :)

Thanks, Mahogany and skegee, for the tips! I am taking my braid extensions out this weekend, and I am going to be dealing strictly with my own hair, and I definitely needed to know what to do with it after I work out. Thanks, again, ladies! :D

mrandmrsmer
03-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Mahogany:

I have a few other questions:

How often do you work out , and will condition rinsing it "over-condition" the hair? Do you condition wash or use regular shampoo, and how often do you deep condition? Also, after you do your condition rinse, do you braid or twist your hair or just tie it up in a satin or silk scarf and let it air dry? (I know, I'm being nosy! LOL)

I intend to condition wash my hair to see how it goes. My husband already bought some Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, and that's what I intend to start out with. With my working out five times a week, most times, working out several days in a row, I'm afraid that doing a condition rinse every time after I work out might damage or dry out my hair in some way.

Pumpkin43
03-14-2003, 07:02 PM
I workout all the time. After I work out I either just rinse or condition rinse. My hair loves it and everybody says its growing like a weed. My hair loves moisture. The more the better. I have learned a wealth of information from the nappurality.com sistahs. About ten years ago when I met a sistah who would wash her hair everyday. I thought it was strange (she was permed as well as myself) but now it makes perfect sense with the no poo method or just rinsing. When you think of all the stuff that gets in your hair just from the elements alone. We wash our bodies everyday and the hair needs some attention as well.