PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt at Latch hooking

Llyons
01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi All:
I'm at the end of week 4. I also retightened my hair using the latch hook method. After about 20 locs, I had the hang of things. It took me about 2 hrs. to finish my head. Hopefully, that time will shorten as I become more 'trained'. I accidently joined locs a couple of times. :doh But, I had no problems w/ fixing the error.

At the end of my 4 weeks my hair is "fuzzier" and a little bit more thicker.
I think things are progressing well. Only time will tell. :)

Pictures of my work and progress is in my album under Loc - Month 1.

NaturallyJade
01-31-2004, 07:57 PM
Good job! Did you use the latch hook or another tool? I am 4 weeks 1day. My hair is fuzzier.

flynppy
01-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey your hair looks nice. I also latchhook I am almost at the 8 week mark. But have not posted any pics yet. My hair is a big fuzzball!

rockinlocs
01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Good job! Girl, 2 hours the first time is GOOD! You'll definitely speed up as you do it more.

@flynappy- bring on the pics!!!

silkgirl2
01-31-2004, 10:47 PM
I love how your hair looks. :thumbsup Great job!

dewdrop
02-01-2004, 01:21 AM
looking awesome!

tinovia
02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
looks great!

LBellatrix
02-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Two hours is GOOD.

The last time I latched (four weeks ago) it took me maybe four hours over four days (I did a section at a time). Part of that is because I had a lot of new growth; I know I did at LEAST four "stitches" per loc.

Llyons
02-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mzfitbodi@Jan 31 2004, 08:57 PM
Good job! Did you use the latch hook or another tool? I am 4 weeks 1day. My hair is fuzzier.
I used a latch hook. I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply for $1. I believe this Beauty Supply store is nationwide.

Can't wait to see the pictures Flynppy!
Thanks Guys!

vuqua1
02-02-2004, 01:46 PM
2 hours... 4 hours... I don't get it. It takes me NO LESS than six hours to retighten my hair. It's an all day affair.

Llyons, your hair looks great!

sharynleigh
02-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Wow. Your hair really looks good and the latchhook part is really tight. Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll try latchhooking sometime.

frohead
02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Good job.

aquababie19
02-03-2004, 05:09 PM
good job with your latching :)

blacque_gurl
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Looks great.. congratulations! I was so anxious to try it myself (Cherie's ebook got me all hyped up! :razz ) so i took my daughter's hook from her latch hook kit and latched one of mine. I marked it with a cowrie :)

ini
02-04-2004, 05:04 AM
question: i understand how latching works in theory but it seems like it would hurt to me. does it?

chocol8diva714
02-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Oooh Llyons,

Congrats on locing and for retightening YOURSELF (go 'head gurl)!! Your hair and you are beautiful....your hair is really coming along...can't wait for updates (hold up, aren't we supposed to be patient, dang :doh )

Good luck....smooches and blessings
~Chocol8

rockinlocs
02-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by ini@Feb 4 2004, 02:04 AM
question: i understand how latching works in theory but it seems like it would hurt to me. does it?
nope...not unless you do something wrong. It's really a smooth process because the little latch-thingy closes over the top of the hook and prevents it from snagging as you pull it through.

amalah9
02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Great job on the latching! :thumbsup Your Bradelocz are really cute!

nope...not unless you do something wrong. It's really a smooth process because the little latch-thingy closes over the top of the hook and prevents it from snagging as you pull it through.

ITA. When I 1st started latching I used to do it too tightly and that used to hurt. But I got some advice from the ladies here on not latching too close to the scalp & it's been smooth sailing every since. :bis

Llyons
02-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by amalah9@Feb 4 2004, 02:54 PM

ITA. When I 1st started latching I used to do it too tightly and that used to hurt. But I got some advice from the ladies here on not latching too close to the scalp & it's been smooth sailing every since. :bis
I agree. It doesn't hurt at all, unless you do it too tight. I made the mistake of latching one of my braids too tight. I don't like pain, so I reversed the process. It took a couple of minutes to do it, but it was worth the time. :)

Thanks all!

ini
02-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Llyons+Feb 4 2004, 12:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Llyons @ Feb 4 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-amalah9@Feb 4 2004, 02:54 PM

nope...not unless you do something wrong. It&#39;s really a smooth process because the little latch-thingy closes over the top of the hook and prevents it from snagging as you pull it through.

ITA. When I 1st started latching I used to do it too tightly and that used to hurt. But I got some advice from the ladies here on not latching too close to the scalp & it&#39;s been smooth sailing every since. :bis
I agree. It doesn&#39;t hurt at all, unless you do it too tight. I made the mistake of latching one of my braids too tight. I don&#39;t like pain, so I reversed the process. It took a couple of minutes to do it, but it was worth the time. :)

Thanks all! [/b][/quote]
o.k. thanks for your responses

thenewme
02-11-2004, 04:21 AM
I am still fearful of my first time latchin&#39;. I have a few weeks before I have to do it. Maybe I will practice on my daughter. I know you understand......the first time is always the hardest. I am sure I will get the hang of it also. I can&#39;t wait.

QueenLocks
02-11-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.geocities.com/lrobinsonstone/hair/latch_instruct.jpg

I hope this helps! :pop

MsHardaway
02-14-2004, 12:21 AM
I also do the latching technique. I don&#39;t use the latch hook, I just use my fingers, I find that I can do it better that way. It doesn&#39;t hurt if you do it correctly. I try not to "loop" it too tight. I only tried it on my head once but I like it better than palm rolling the roots. However, I still palm roll/finger twist the bottom part of my locs to wrap the fuzzies around. BTW, Llyons, your hair looks really good- keep up the good work and remember to stay patient.