PDA

View Full Version : Who started their locs with "Nappyloc"

cleosimba
01-31-2004, 08:54 PM
I would like to hear from all of you that started their locs with the "Nappyloctool" method. I will be starting soon my locking process with that tool--and was wondering how your journey has been with this method and the trics that you have learn so far...
What size tool did or are you using and what size locs do you have?
Do you find it hard to manipulate the tool?

Thanks. :rainfro

Fansia
01-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Freedomplease started with this method. I want my locks the same size as hers.

I don't know if you have the book but my tool has a smaller bulb then the one shown in the book. I don't know how the size i have is specified.
I did some testing with it and don't find it hard to manipulate. What i like about the tool is that i can hold it between two fingers and that it's small. I will see how it goes (i have two left hands) .

How are you going to start ? I hope to start them with twists, wait a few weeks and start from there.

Do you have the dvd ?

flynppy
01-31-2004, 11:14 PM
I just ordered mines today!!!! :) :) :) I can't wait for it to come. Although I did just tighten my hair with the latchhook. (maybe for the last time?) So I will have to wait a month to use it.

Was it easy to use?
Easy to learn?
Tell me all........

flynppy
02-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Well my tool has come. Wow I did not realize it would be that small. I hope I do not lose it....

But I have to wait to tighten my hair :(

Oh well... I am excited.

FreedomPlease
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Well, I started my locks with the NappyLoc method...and yes the tool is small at first I would just leave it taped to the invoice :lol Now, I have a system to keep from losing it, since I lost it once :huh

I now keep the tool along with some of my small metal clips in a small clear bag in the box that the book and everything came with. I must say that I love the shampoo(s). I order the shampoo for the baby locks.

I would love to hear how things are going.

Now for tricks... :blah :blah

I have found that after watching the DVD a few times it is really easy. I can now do my hair and watch movies at the same time. Every time I have to do my hair we (my family and I) have a movie-a-thon. OK I have rambled enough. Check out my site, I have a lot of pictures.

Thanks Fansia for the shot out :thumbsup I can't wait until you begin...

Fansia
02-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by flynppy@Feb 6 2004, 12:19 AM
Well my tool has come. Wow I did not realize it would be that small. I hope I do not lose it....

lol my thoughts exactly i have to really keep it away from the kids.
I have the smallest size tool.

I also love the shampoo. It's sooo mild.

freedom when i start you'll be the first to know. :bis

blacque_gurl
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
What are the differences/similarities between this method and latching? Anyone tried both?
@Freedom, your hair is looking FABULOUS! :thumbsup

cateyesmd
02-06-2004, 04:15 PM
OK, Freedom, you have scared me away from starting with the tool. I have the book and tool, but looking at your album and seeing that it took you 20+ hours to do your hair, I'm afraid it would take me a whole week on my lenth of hair. :doh

So, I'm considering starting with 2-strand twist and maintaining with the tool. But I will also imploy the parting technique with my 2-strand twist.

I'll keep checking your site for updates, Thanks.

marissasensei
02-06-2004, 07:17 PM
I began my locs using the sisterlock method, but I have recently started using the nappylocs tool to retighten my new growth. I love it so far. Very easy to use, and I haven't had any problems with accidentally joining locs or keeping up with the tool.

Hephzibah
02-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Whoooooa Freedom!

Your locks look great and I'll think they'll turn out fairly small once they mature. I'm interested in locking my hair as well, and like yourself, have to work with a students budget. How much do you spend/have you spent on the package and shampoos altogther?

Also, does it take you 20+ hours to retighten your hair? Please say something around4-6 :-) . I have about 5-6 inches of hair and understand that starting small locks will take close to 30 hrs., but I don't have that kind of time to spare every 2 weeks or so. How often do you retighten your hair anyway?

Thanks for all of your help,

Heph.

flynppy
02-07-2004, 03:18 AM
You only retighten your hair every 4-7 weeks. (Depends on the person) Also about the length of time it takes to do. It depends on the size of your locs and good you get at tightening your hair. The better you get at it, the faster it goes.

cleosimba
02-07-2004, 04:14 AM
I will post my pics too-- should start next month!!

Sunchild
02-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by cateyesmd@Feb 6 2004, 01:15 PM
OK, Freedom, you have scared me away from starting with the tool. I have the book and tool, but looking at your album and seeing that it took you 20+ hours to do your hair, I'm afraid it would take me a whole week on my lenth of hair. :doh

So, I'm considering starting with 2-strand twist and maintaining with the tool. But I will also imploy the parting technique with my 2-strand twist.

I'll keep checking your site for updates, Thanks.
So your husband is going to let you start them now?

cateyesmd
02-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 7 2004, 03:04 AM

So your husband is going to let you start them now?
It was never really about him LETing me, he just preferred that I didn't and I wanted to wait until he was ready to accept the fact that that's what I would ultimately do. It turns out that his big thing was that I would have to cut my hair off if I ever wanted to get rid of them. I've explained to him that it is possible to un-do locs (with a lot of work) if I decided that I really didn't want them anymore.

My plan was to start my locs for my birthday next month and I'm pretty much resolved that that's when it will occur, with my sisters help. :bis

Beryl
02-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by marissasensei@Feb 6 2004, 02:17 PM
I began my locs using the sisterlock method, but I have recently started using the nappylocs tool to retighten my new growth. I love it so far. Very easy to use, and I haven't had any problems with accidentally joining locs or keeping up with the tool.
Yes.

I got that tool when it was first made available and it is great. I use it to maintain my 2 shorter locs around the temples which will never actually "lock". The tool helps keep those hairs in a pattern.

Fansia
02-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by blacque_gurl@Feb 6 2004, 04:53 PM
What are the differences/similarities between this method and latching? Anyone tried both?
@Freedom, your hair is looking FABULOUS! :thumbsup

both methods are cool and both create great looking locks.
To me the only difference is the tool.

It's a matter of preference just how some chose
sisterlocks, some chose bradelocz some use a crochethook
a bodkin etc.

thenewme
02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
does anyone have a site for the nappyloctool? I would like to see what it looks like.

cateyesmd
02-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by thenewme@Feb 9 2004, 04:47 PM
does anyone have a site for the nappyloctool? I would like to see what it looks like.
www.nappynhappy.com

Not sure if you will see the actual tool, however, but you will see all the information pertaining to this method.

thenewme
02-09-2004, 08:08 PM
cateyesmd, thank you for the website. very interesting. I started my locs using the bradelocz method. So far, I like them but I am unsure of the latchin' technique.

Fansia
02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
another site is http://www.nappylocs.com