PDA

View Full Version : nappturals on television

brwndot
02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
maybe it's my heightened sense of awareness, but it seems like every black person i see on a television commercial has napptural hair. chances are good that nappturals are only sticking out in my mind because i'm transitioning, but it just seems like there aren't as many permed heads on tv anymore... which i suppose is a good thing :) has anybody else noticed this?

natural-gal
02-01-2004, 03:57 PM
I noticed that too. Don't know if it's because we are going back to our roots. Maybe it triggered our mind to also look at people who wear their hair natural.

MissLisa
02-01-2004, 10:31 PM
I believe there are a lot more nappturals on the commercials. I think the media powers that be are finally realizing that we don't all do the straight limp hair thing and are trying to appeal to a broader audience by "recognizing" that.

brwndot
02-03-2004, 05:36 AM
ok, this is good. i'm not the only one who noticed :) more power to all the nappturals on tv :thumbsup

MeccaMedinah
02-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I noticed all of the natural do's on commercials also. All of the little girls have these heads full of curls. But I am not sure the the media is doing this because they realize that we don't all relax our hair- I think that it's something else. I am not sure yet because I just really began to notice within the past few weeks or so. But whatever it is it's ok because it just reenforces the path that I'm on- Napptural Greatness.

kirgurl79
02-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Yes. I've seen a lot of natural hair on alot of commercials lately. However, I sometimes think that this is done just to appeal to the black audience. :-P With such a diverse society, the media has to make sure that all bases (or races, rather) are covered. Otherwise, they'd get major backlash. That said, (it seems to me that) they select a woman with "nappy hair" because nappy = Black.

brwndot
02-03-2004, 05:25 PM
yeah... my first response was that a lot of media execs were overdoing it a bit. it seems that many of them have assumed that blacks will most easily identify with folks on commercials who look "super-ethnic," i.e. those with napptural hair. but i really think this could have a positive effect by opening a lot of eyes to the alternative of napptural hair. i personally like seeing napps on tv :rainfro

naturalhairlover
02-03-2004, 05:56 PM
I've noticed it too. It's good, it reflects the latest trends.

kaoticcoil
02-03-2004, 06:23 PM
There was discussion about this last week...and I will respond just as I did then. Naptural is fine, as long as they don't show us coonin' ie: The Rubberband Man in the Office Max Commercial.

Kaoticcoil

msmixx924
02-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Yes I've noticed them also. More awarness I suppose. I totally agree about that office mas commercial. Horrible. :fight

2Blessed
02-03-2004, 09:53 PM
I have noticed it too. Only it first stood out to me in Bath and Body Works on the marketing models. The only two Black models (out of at least 9 that I have seen) wore napps. I think, since their primary customer base is white, they are using this method of marketing to attract a more diverse customer base. Either way, more power to the Sistas because looking at the pictures got me thinking about transitioning.

knwill
02-03-2004, 10:21 PM
I think it's a good thing because it will help more black women see that being natural is a beautiful thing contrary to most "folk wisdom". Although, I think it's sad that it's the white media that is doing more to show black women wearing their natural hair than the black media is doing. :doh

knwill :heart

2Blessed
02-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Right back at ya! But I have to admit I was one of the critics... until I realized THIS IS MY HAIR!!!! Why was I conforming to what someone else's perception of me is?? It certainly was a wake up call for me.

Ree-C
02-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I thought the same thing. Once I decided to grow out the relaxer, I started noticing a lot of naps on television and in the magazines. It's awesome to see a reflection of our natural beauty more. But I'm still seeing the straight hair girls in most of the music videos.

mommamaybell
02-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Black media and videos lag way behind in showing the diversity of our hair textures, they are still on that long and straight campaign.

delleaux
02-04-2004, 02:19 AM
I think it is truly refreshing. After all that is our hair when there are no chemicals in it. It is quite flattering. And it is a trip because where I work many whites assume we just perm out hair and that is all. I had to school them that we don't have to do it to be able to work with it. We have very versatile hair.

kirgurl79
02-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by kaoticcoil@Feb 3 2004, 06:23 PM
There was discussion about this last week...and I will respond just as I did then. Naptural is fine, as long as they don't show us coonin' ie: The Rubberband Man in the Office Max Commercial.

Kaoticcoil
Who is that?

I saw a black man on TV (about nights ago) who handed out the office supplies from a cart that might belong to homeless. But I don't know what the commercial was for. Is that him?

AgentDime
02-04-2004, 02:56 PM
On the travel netowrk, htere is a show called "Get PAcking". One of the date advisors in a Napptural is a fashion model. Her hair is very pretty.

Coach Tracie Wright -- Model & Actress

natursean
02-04-2004, 04:03 PM
kirgurl79 I think that commerical was like for office depot or something. And I was glad to see a brother wearing a nice head of hair, but couldn't figure out what about it besides his dancing was hitting me. Third time I saw it I figured it out it was the cart that they had outfitted as if he had added extras that didn't belong like the side mirrors connected to it. Like we lowride and rim-up everything on wheels.....sad :nohuh

kaoticcoil
02-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by kirgurl79+Feb 4 2004, 08:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kirgurl79 @ Feb 4 2004, 08:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaoticcoil@Feb 3 2004, 06:23 PM
There was discussion about this last week...and I will respond just as I did then. Naptural is fine, as long as they don&#39;t show us coonin&#39; ie: The Rubberband Man in the Office Max Commercial.

Kaoticcoil
Who is that?

I saw a black man on TV (about nights ago) who handed out the office supplies from a cart that might belong to homeless. But I don&#39;t know what the commercial was for. Is that him? [/b][/quote]
Yes That is him :doh
Kaoticcoil

brwndot
02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by mommamaybell@Feb 3 2004, 07:31 PM
Black media and videos lag way behind in showing the diversity of our hair textures, they are still on that long and straight campaign.
so true.

Kashanti
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I&#39;m glad that I&#39;m not the only one who has noticed more nappturals on TV! Especially commercials. I thought that maybe I was noticing nappturals more now that I made a decision to transition. I am glad for the change to show more diversity in how Black folks wear their hair on TV. But we still have a long way to go!

chickebean
02-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I&#39;m also beginning to see more nappturals on commercials but not on all-black sitcoms. Take &#39;My Wife and Kids&#39; for example. The guys don&#39;t really count. The two girls are napptural but they dont really look black. They&#39;re so close to passing as mixed and Gina (I forget her real name) always has her hair relaxed. Almost all of the women on the all-black shows on UPN are doing the straight look and weavin&#39; it up. :doh I just think that they should be setting an example, you know, represent just a little.

queenamina
02-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Peace,

Yeah, I noticed it too! It&#39;s a good feeling to know that you&#39;re being represented. My niece whose 12 yrs old wants to go natural and she notices a lot, I&#39;m so happy that she can recognize natural beauty for what it is and not look down upon our women who have natural crowns. It&#39;s a good image for our children to see this everyday on tv, epecially in regular everyday day roles, not just playing( there&#39;s nothing wrong with it) afrocentric, militant, like they do in some movies or tv shows with people with afros. On the Raven show, the mom wears her hair natural too!

Be Peace N Guided

Queen Amina

Napptural since 2/2001

kinkelady
02-18-2004, 04:35 PM
I was just watching a commercial last night, and 2 of the 3 women wore naturals! It was an "Aleve" commercial. I was excited about it. I&#39;ve also been noticing a lot of naturals in magazine ads and not just black publications! It may be just because I am transitioning that I&#39;m noticing more. Whatever the reason, it sure keeps me motivated, and that&#39;s exactly what I need right now! :daz

CocoaPure
02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Yep! I&#39;m THRILLED about it!!! I love seeing myself in these ads! I&#39;m happy that they use a wide variety of the beautiful shades of beige, tan, brown, bronzes, and ebonies we come in too!!

You&#39;re so right - the White media is soooooooo far ahead of the Black media it&#39;s a shame! And I&#39;m sooooo mad at our hair magazines I used to spend a mint on that&#39;s it&#39;s ridiculous! Can we have just one JUST ONE hair magazine that&#39;s for natural hair and it isn&#39;t full of weaves and adding extension hair???

Sometimes we get so caught up in White people and racism, that we forget WE&#39;RE the ones doing more damage to ourselves in today&#39;s society than they are. Sure they set up the trend, but we&#39;ve bought it hook, line, and sinker! Today, we as Black women especially, are more likely to get compliments, and positive attention from White men than from our own brothers! This really really saddens! But you know what??? I&#39;m seeing a major turn around there too - I&#39;m in Dallas adn I&#39;ve seen more sistas steppin out with white guys than EVER BEFORE!

Get this.................Valentine&#39;s Day night - in a nice restaurant in Addison ( an expensive suburb of Dallas) my sweetie and I are having dinner and I&#39;m THE ONLY black woman in the place with a Black man!! The other 3 sistas were all with White men and 2 had natural hair! One had beautiful, extremely well-kept locs! The other had a very pretty medium length twist out design with a gorgeous "Billie Holidayesque" flower in it over one ear! Just gorgeous! It&#39;s also interesting to note that both of these beautiful ladies had pretty deep brown skin. I mention this because someone mentioned how "our" videos still tend to feature either racially ambiguous models or only those of us who are lighter brown, tan, beige, etc.

So what&#39;s happening here??? I think someone said it best on another post - when we start wearing our real hair and loving it, we&#39;ll start attracting real men who love it too!! NOT to say that white men are real men and ours aren&#39;t - of course we&#39;ve got some of the most loveable men on the planet - but dang they sure seem to chase after white skirts and appreciate their beauty more! Sad, sad, sad and depressing!!

I didn&#39;t care, I was just happy that these two sisters were looking gorgeous in their natural hair and they both were laughting and smiling with these guys they were with - so they were obviously having fun! I just get a real high when I see a Black woman looking happy and not stressed out!!! So more power to them! Whatever makes you smile in your heart! But both of them could have been on commercials too with their great hair!

SugaSmacks
02-18-2004, 09:38 PM
I&#39;ve been seeing that alot too!!! It seems like in my opinion it becoming a more accepting style to have natural hair vs having relaxed, straight hair! Maybe it&#39;s something the advertisers are gearing to, but who knows. I&#39;ll take it how we can get it :lol

Lady :cow:

MzNGINEAR
02-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by brwndot@Feb 3 2004, 12:36 AM
ok, this is good. i&#39;m not the only one who noticed :) more power to all the nappturals on tv :thumbsup
I did notice that too...on Girlfriends, Half & Half, the Disney Channel....the comercials and every place else too!

:app :app :app Give it up to fellow Nappturals :app :app :app

chickebean
02-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CocoaPure@Feb 18 2004, 03:06 PM
Can we have just one JUST ONE hair magazine that&#39;s for natural hair and it isn&#39;t full of weaves and adding extension hair???

I never thought about that. Is there a magazine for only naturals?? If not, there should be one, seriously!

CocoaPure
02-20-2004, 04:59 PM
No there isn&#39;t a magazine for us all naturals yet!! (Or transitioners who are looking for all natural styles!) I HATE how in Black Hair Sophisticates, which I used to loe, they have this "Natural hair section" and it&#39;s FULLLLLLLLLL of weaves and extensions!!! And ya&#39;ll, this is month after month after month!! It&#39;s just so disheartening because this is supposed to be OUR magazine, or at least OUR SECTION of one of our magazines! It&#39;s just awful! I really believe we need to lay off blaming whites for a lot of things, because once you go natural you see the real racism is WITHIN us!!! As much as I get sick of seeing it, it&#39;s really not that white girl&#39;s fault that our brothers are running to her instead! We shouldn&#39;t hate on them - their just women trying to find a man who will treat them right too! I am just fed up with brothers who act like sistas going natural is the end of the earth as we know it!

kinkity
02-20-2004, 09:17 PM
I know, I used to totally be in love with sophisticates too. But that was when I was a permie with no intention of transitioning. I think I just bought what will be my last issue because there are several things about it that bother me.

1. Just about no natural styles throughout the bulk of the magazine.
2. That AWFUL "natural" section like you mentioned cocoa with nothing but extensions and impractical styles
3. The lying celebrities
4. Several wrong hair care suggesions that have you focus on style instead of health (for example, to have style last, shampoo monthly! I&#39;ve even read up to 6 weeks!)
5. It&#39;s overpriced for what you get, which is nothing for a napptural

So what about naturallyyours magazine? Don&#39;t they claim to have all natural styles with no extensions unless otherwise stated? I was planning on ordering that especially with the discount for us going on.