PDA

View Full Version : Dread

dedicated
02-01-2004, 05:30 PM
When I think "dread" I think the ultimate in nappy/natural hair. Dread conjures up images of awesome freeform and organic dreads/locs. I think freedom, I think power, I think spirituality, I think of the Rastafarians, I think of lions manes. So many wonderous, powerful, spiritural images come to mind when I think "dread". When I think "locs" I basically think hair. I know some people resent the term "dread" and probably rightfully so to some degree because of the negative conotations associated with the word but when I think "dread" in the context of nappy hair, I can only come up with positives.

How do you feel about the term "dread"? What images does the word bring to mind for you? Do you consider yourself a dread, or do you only think of Rastas as dreads?

A little about me, I wore dreads/locs for about 11 years, cut both sets out during my two pregnancies and am now wearing my natural hair loose. I know that ultimately, I will loc or dread again. Just wanted to put that out there in case anyone wondered.

Peace.

toy
02-01-2004, 06:11 PM
interesting question. i don't differentiate between the terms as you do but i do generally tend to refer to my hair as "locs". like you, i'm aware of the negative connotations surrounding the term "dreads", but it doesn't bother me anymore than does the term "nappy". a lot of people refer to my hair as "dreads" and i've never felt compelled to correct them in any way because it's never been said with any ill will.

as for you, are you saying that--based on your definitions--you've had a set of dreads and a set of locs at different points in time? if so, which came first, and why did you switch from one to the other? just curious.

cleosimba
02-01-2004, 09:07 PM
I will be locking soon. Either words does not bother me.
I do prefer the word "locs" just because i know a few "whites" that do dread perms and to dissociate their hair with mythem with my carribean looking hair i would call them "locs". :rainfro

mochacaremel
02-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by dedicated@Feb 1 2004, 01:30 PM
I know some people resent the term "dread" and probably rightfully so to some degree because of the negative conotations associated with the word but when I think "dread" in the context of nappy hair, I can only come up with positives.

@Dedicated, I love your post, I think what you articulated about the different terms is pure poetry.

But I think in my mind I can't shake the negative connotations that are attached to the word 'dread'. There is nothing dreadful about my hair. I refer to myself as growing 'locs'. The word lock to me means permanancy and strength in the bonds of it's lockedness. That is how I think of my hair.

So as for the word dread...I only use it to describe what my hair is undergoing to someone unfamiliar with just the simple term of 'locs'

Mocha

LBellatrix
02-01-2004, 09:17 PM
My understanding of the term "dread" as it pertains to locs involve two different meanings, neither of which I'm trying to promote.

One is the slave catchers' definition of "dreadful locks", which I reject because my hair isn't dreadful.

The other is the rebels' definition of "inspiring dread", which I don't want to do either because I'm a nice and gentle person. :)

Like Toy, I prefer the term "locs" but I haven't corrected people who choose to call them "dreads" (so far two people have done so).

Schiffon
02-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Oops

Schiffon
02-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I also prefer the term "locs", yet I don't care when someone uses another term to refer to my locs.

candy
02-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I prefer 'locs' as well, but i don't think I would correct just anyone who referred to it as dreadlocks except those closest tom The word 'dreadlocks' is too entrenched in most people's minds for me to waste time to try to change them.

dedicated
02-01-2004, 10:36 PM
toy wrote:

as for you, are you saying that--based on your definitions--you've had a set of dreads and a set of locs at different points in time? if so, which came first, and why did you switch from one to the other? just curious.

I'm like you, I use the terms locs/dreads interchangably (sp?) but I do have a certain love for the term "dread." If asked, I'd refer to my hair as it was then as "dreads". On this board though, I tend to use the term "locs" so as not to offend anyone.

dedicated
02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by mochacaremel+Feb 1 2004, 05:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mochacaremel @ Feb 1 2004, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dedicated@Feb 1 2004, 01:30 PM
I know some people resent the term "dread" and probably rightfully so to some degree because of the negative conotations associated with the word but when I think "dread" in the context of nappy hair, I can only come up with positives.

@Dedicated, I love your post, I think what you articulated about the different terms is pure poetry.

But I think in my mind I can&#39;t shake the negative connotations that are attached to the word &#39;dread&#39;. There is nothing dreadful about my hair. I refer to myself as growing &#39;locs&#39;. The word lock to me means permanancy and strength in the bonds of it&#39;s lockedness. That is how I think of my hair.

So as for the word dread...I only use it to describe what my hair is undergoing to someone unfamiliar with just the simple term of &#39;locs&#39;

Mocha [/b][/quote]
[/QUOTE]But I think in my mind I can&#39;t shake the negative connotations that are attached to the word &#39;dread&#39;. There is nothing dreadful about my hair. I refer to myself as growing &#39;locs&#39;. The word lock to me means permanancy and strength in the bonds of it&#39;s lockedness. That is how I think of my hair.[quote]

I feel you, and like the way you interpret the term "locs". :)

LotsOfLocs
02-01-2004, 11:00 PM
When I think of dreads I think of Marley. I think of freeform and organic type locs. Neither locs or dreds bother me.

rockinlocs
02-02-2004, 12:47 AM
I&#39;ve heard that before...that "dreds" are usually in reference to freeform/organic and "locs" are more referred to "cultivated".

While I mainly refer to my own as either "my hair" or "my locs"...if someone were to call them "dreds", it wouldn&#39;t bother me. I&#39;ve heard the whole, "negative meaning" thing, but it&#39;s never been that deep for me...either term is fine by me!

Kalico
02-02-2004, 03:10 AM
I&#39;m with what Dedicated said in her initial post.

To me the word "locs" sounds trendy and also seems to be used if they have been adapted into the salon culture and routine, and they have a particular look. Rockinlocs touches on this above. People with hair that looks like the Marleys have dreads or dreadlocks. People who have hair that looks like the styles seen in the Braids n Beauty, the Essence hair section, or the natural section in SBH - have "locs". I don&#39;t choose this hairstyle to be a part of a trend, and I don&#39;t have a salon look so as pertains to my hair I prefer "dreadlocks" "dreads" or "locks".

Fansia
02-02-2004, 03:14 AM
I prefer "dreadlocks" "dreads" or "locks". me too. I used to call them locs but not anymore.

aquababie19
02-02-2004, 03:20 AM
the terms doesn&#39;t bother me at all. it&#39;s the power that&#39;s given to it. like someone else stated, i can embrace it like the word nappy. i refer to my own hair as locs or dreadlocks when someone asks me about them. but simply talking in conversation i usually say "my hair".

now i won&#39;t use the word dreadlocks around some people though. before i was locing, i gave a woman a compliment about her beautiful dreadlocks. she nearly cursed me out. after that i stopped saying dreadlocks to strangers.

alma2254
02-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Feb 2 2004, 12:00 AM
When I think of dreads I think of Marley. I think of freeform and organic type locs. Neither locs or dreds bother me.
I agree

FlyGemini
02-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I don&#39;t see why people have a problem with that word when it pertains to locs. If you look up the definition (on Mirriam-Webster online www.m-w.com), this is what you get:

1 a : to fear greatly b archaic : to regard with awe
2 : to feel extreme reluctance to meet or face
intransitive senses : to be apprehensive or fearful

Sounds about right to me 8)

soleil
02-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I don&#39;t mind the word dreadlocks. In our ancestors past yes the term was connotative of negative meanings; however, I believe the word Dreadlocks has taken on positive meanings that signify..
- pride in oneself and culture
- individuality
- uniqueness
- mental strength and wisdom
- love of oneself and respect

Yes, there are people who still see dreadlocks as negative, but I believe it is our duty to educate them. In wearing my dreadlocks, I have educated many and become a role model to those who would have never thought of dreadlocks, but finally saw the truth and the light :)

I use the words locs when writing here on nappturality.com, but dreadlocks is what I see my hair as: love, strength, unique, individual, and deep pride! :)

..Soleil

kaoticcoil
02-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I definately prefer the term locs. I have kaoticcoils, they (box against conforming to what some feel is acceptable. But I don&#39;t think they are dreadful. I don&#39;t usually correct people who say dreadlocks, I just prefer locs :thumbsup

Kaoticcoil

ShekinahSoul
02-02-2004, 05:20 PM
The word dread used to bother me. Now I use both words interchangably. I agree that the word dread tends to bring to mind free form or organic locs. I just solve the issue and say "dreadlocs". :)

ini
02-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Interesting topic.

Growing up in the Caribbean we used &#39;dreads&#39;, &#39;dreadlocks&#39;, and &#39;locks&#39; interchangeably. At the time, all were reserved and associated with Rastafarians. Only recently have I learned to negative connotations of &#39;dreads&#39; and &#39;dreadlocks&#39; so I tend to use &#39;locs&#39; when here in the states so as not to offend anyone.

Strangely enough though, I found myself reverting to saying &#39;dreads&#39; on my trip home to the V.I. last week because saying &#39;locks&#39; seems diluted to me. Unbeknownst to me I seem to have some fuller meaning to the word &#39;dreads&#39; than the word &#39;locks&#39; ... who knew?

sable73
02-02-2004, 05:33 PM
The word dreadlocks has never bothered me.. 8)

Whenever I heard the word &#39;dreadlocks&#39; I always thought BEAUTIFUL :)

I use the term loc because it flows from the tongue easier. :d)

I have never been mistaken for Rasta, maybe its due to my southern twang. :cow:

FreedomPlease
02-02-2004, 05:50 PM
This is an interesting topic...I must say that I prefer "locs" or "locks" due to the negative connotation of "dreads". To me I see it as a self love, and I love my hair. There is nothing dreadful about this wonderful self discovering process. :nohuh

I am a person that when discussing my hair I will correct them and say locks or my hair. But I do respect others in their choice. I think it can be compared to some saying other methods of beginning locks are not "real" locks. :huh They are the same in all of the ways that count, we just how different hair, and different resources.

:blah So I guess I have already stated my answer, which is I prefer "locks" but to each it&#39;s own. :rolleyes

Clarity36
02-02-2004, 06:35 PM
You can call them locs, dreadlocks or dreds as long as you don&#39;t call them braids :-{

FlyGemini
02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Did yall see the definition I pasted? Dread is not a negative word in the first place, where do people get that from?

ChocolatChaud
02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
When I think of dread or dreadlocks, i think of those who locked their hair for reasons beyond the aesthetic. I personally don&#39;t care what people call my hair, locks, dreads, dreadlocks.....as long as they don&#39;t call me a fashion dread I&#39;m cool.

Fauryn78
02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Clarity36@Feb 2 2004, 03:35 PM
You can call them locs, dreadlocks or dreds as long as you don&#39;t call them braids :-{
ITA!!!!

marissasensei
02-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by FlyGemini@Feb 2 2004, 11:45 AM
Did yall see the definition I pasted? Dread is not a negative word in the first place, where do people get that from?
I think the &#39;dread&#39; in &#39;dreadlocks&#39; has traditionally been associated with something that is dreadful

(Also from M-W)

dread·ful
1 a : inspiring dread : causing great and oppressive fear b : inspiring awe or reverence
2 : extremely bad, distasteful, unpleasant, or shocking

ITA about the braids! :lol

bajanempress
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
What negative connotation to "dreads"? I always thought that Rastafarians called them dreadlocks and they grew them in part to drive fear and dread into the hearts of the unbelievers.

I call my hair locks but I don&#39;t bridle at anyone calling them dreads, I know what they mean- its just what I&#39;m used to saying. I always thought too that locks was short for dreadlocks- why then should I be mad at someone calling my hair dreads or dreadlocks?

silkgirl2
02-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Both terms are acceptable to because I believe everyone gives their own meaning behind words. If for you the word "dreads" have a negative meaning for you then you are not going to use that word, but for me they both have positive meanings, they stand for natural, powerful and free. So in the end it&#39;s up to each indivdual.

Kalico
02-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by marissasensei+Feb 2 2004, 09:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (marissasensei @ Feb 2 2004, 09:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FlyGemini@Feb 2 2004, 11:45 AM
I think the &#39;dread&#39; in &#39;dreadlocks&#39; has traditionally been associated with something that is dreadful

(Also from M-W)

dread·ful
1 a : inspiring dread : causing great and oppressive fear b : inspiring awe or reverence

ITA about the braids! :lol [/b][/quote]
The dread in dreadlocks refers to the fact that they are awe inspiring. Remember this was a hairstyle adopted by warriors, rebels and holy men/women. As a warrior you carry yourself in an assertive stance in order to inspire respect. As a warrior you wouldn&#39;t be concerned with assuring people that you aren&#39;t as fierce as your hair style or other markings make you look ....

Beryl
02-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Like Toy, the word doesn&#39;t bother me but I generally refer to my hair "locs".

I actually have and will refer to my hair as dreads when someone who clearly suffers from nap-hatred goes ga-ga over my hair. I like to let them know that my hair (as my big sister says) is in the DREADLOCKS family. If you hate "dreads", you might as well hate my hair too.

PrincessDrRe
02-03-2004, 03:34 AM
I prefer the term "locs".....I don&#39;t "dread" or hate my hair.....although sometimes my locs are stubborn, I don&#39;t hate my hair. To dread something is to hate or detest. I prefer locs, however I too have heard the term "dredlocs" and I don&#39;t try to correct their statement.

:offtopic It&#39;s like the name "Afro"......my mother still calls it a "Natural" as that was the way it was called when she was younger...... :huh

Go Figure.......

LotsOfLocs
02-03-2004, 01:14 PM
I like the fact the word dred and dreds actually scare some people. Keeps the wolves away.

Ree-C
02-03-2004, 10:18 PM
When I first starting inquiring about locking I asked a patient at my job about hers. As I was talking, I used the word "dreads". She immediately corrected me and explained that they were her locks and when saying the word dreads you would think of dreadful and that there wasn&#39;t anything dreadful about locks. She said it nicely, but firmly. I then begin reading several books on natural hair and hair locking. In some books, it explained that the term came from the description of how our hair appeared in the opinion of whites, dreadful. My locks have been referred to as dreads, it didn&#39;t bother me. I personally prefer the term locs & refer to them as so. There is a difference in the meanings of dread and dreadful and the meaning of dreadful is definitely a negative word. I don&#39;t think the term is negative when referring to locs, but I don&#39;t use it. I just wouldn&#39;t want to offend anyone. I just say locs. I can&#39;t go wrong that way.

dedicated
02-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Clarity36@Feb 2 2004, 02:35 PM
I used to hate that too! :lol

dedicated
02-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Kalico+Feb 2 2004, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kalico @ Feb 2 2004, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by marissasensei@Feb 2 2004, 09:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-FlyGemini@Feb 2 2004, 11:45 AM

(Also from M-W)

dread·ful

ITA about the braids! :lol
The dread in dreadlocks refers to the fact that they are awe inspiring. Remember this was a hairstyle adopted by warriors, rebels and holy men/women. As a warrior you carry yourself in an assertive stance in order to inspire respect. As a warrior you wouldn&#39;t be concerned with assuring people that you aren&#39;t as fierce as your hair style or other markings make you look .... [/b][/quote]
This is so wonderful, that you for posting it! This is why I love the term "dread". In my mind, it has culture and power associated with it. Strength.

dedicated
02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Feb 3 2004, 09:14 AM
I like the fact the word dred and dreds actually scare some people. Keeps the wolves away.
ITA! Don&#39;t you find that people seem to think twice before they step to you on some simple &#39;ish? I found that when I wore dreads, people either came correct, or didn&#39;t at all. Men came at me with a certain reverence and respect that I&#39;d never experienced before (when my hair was dread) and don&#39;t really experience now that my hair is loose.

soleil
02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I agree with "dedicated&#39;s comment above that locs/dreadlocs :) does tend to command attention. Either people don&#39;t like it, or if they do, they approach you with a certain reverence and respect whereas their words, statements, and actions are positive and expressive indicative of saying "you are a strong and proud woman and I admire that about you." And, you know what, I&#39;m glad they noticed that the strength and pride I have shines through, and I owe it to my locs they have shaped me positively and strongly into the woman I am now :) So, in public, sure I use the word "dreadlocks&#39; because I see it as being illustrative of power, strength, pride, and confidence . IMO it&#39;s just time that the world see the term "dreadlocks" in a positive light, and I am so glad that I see this type of education going on daily with this website and on the streets with other loc wearing sisters and brothers. With more loc wearers in the corporate world too, I see the term "dreadlocks" changing its connotation in mainstream society to the glorious and beautiful terminology that it exudes for us here at nappturality.com.

..Soleil :)

dialect1
02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I personally prefer dreads or dreadlocks. It does not matter what other&#39;s want to call them.

InI a Dreadlock Rasta so if they dread me so be it "Because I remind them so much of who they are suppose to be" ... Sizzla

I am the Lion in this Jungle!!!!!!!

Iron Like a Lion in Zion .... Robert Nesta Marley

FreedomPlease
02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
The great thing about communities like this..is that we all have the opportunity to learn something new. Or relearn something. This post as truly been helpful for me. :o)

dedicated
02-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by FreedomPlease@Feb 4 2004, 04:55 PM
The great thing about communities like this..is that we all have the opportunity to learn something new. Or relearn something. This post as truly been helpful for me. :o)
That makes me feel good! :)

mochacaremel
02-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Beryl@Feb 2 2004, 10:29 PM
I actually have and will refer to my hair as dreads when someone who clearly suffers from nap-hatred goes ga-ga over my hair. I like to let them know that my hair (as my big sister says) is in the DREADLOCKS family. If you hate "dreads", you might as well hate my hair too.
I&#39;m feeling you on this Beryl...I may have to marinate on this, nap-haters make my skin crawl.

Mocha

QueenLena03
02-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I know of people who refer to locs as dreadlocs or dreads and those terms do not bother me. I do not make it a point to correct anyone on how the term is negative because I know they are not using the term in an offensive manner. I always call mine locs but I guess it&#39;s just a matter of habit.