PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a wig over locs

QueenLena03
02-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Peace fam. I normally never speak about anything that goes on in the salon I work in because I have clients that are great to me on this board and I want to remain professional but today I had to share with you all this wierd conversation. I normally work on Sundays for a few hours because it suits some people's schedules better. I worked this morning and my client was about to be finished getting her hair twisted when I got a phone call from someone new saying she needed to get in the chair TODAY and she wanted loc maintenance. Now my first instinct was to immediately turn her away because not only did she call at the last minute but she was very demanding about getting her hair done as if I don't have a life :mad. Anyway I was going to try and work something out with her because she sounded desperate. The conversation goes on and she said the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Her statement was she never does her hair because she wears wigs to work because of the position she is in. She said she would never wear her locs "out" to work until she gets another position. :shocked >:( . I couldn't believe my ears. At that point I knew I did not want her confused, wanna be loc'ed, wearing wigs to work to cover her locs behind in my presence. I am always one to say to each its own but I really found that disturbing. I am so glad I couldn't accomodate this sista today because once she told me that my feeling toward her wasn't too great and she sure didn't need my negative energy up in her head...she already had enough.

W8N2XHL
02-02-2004, 01:13 AM
This just doesn't make sense to me. Where is the mentality of this sistah?

QueenLena03
02-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 1 2004, 09:13 PM
This just doesn't make sense to me. Where is the mentality of this sistah?
Exactly Kiana. I was just floored when she stated that. I can't believe some of our people these days. I kept thinking why was she pressed to get in for a Sunday appointment knowing all she was going to do was cover it with a wig in the first place. :nohuh

W8N2XHL
02-02-2004, 01:22 AM
It's like someone claiming to be a vegetarian between bites of a Big Mac.

Sunchild
02-02-2004, 01:26 AM
umm This is crazy.

I wonder what her occupation is.

W8N2XHL
02-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 1 2004, 08:26 PM
umm This is crazy.

I wonder what her occupation is.
Greeter at Whack-O-World.

lavish12
02-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 1 2004, 08:22 PM
It's like someone claiming to be a vegetarian between bites of a Big Mac.
:lol That's a good one! :lol

rockinlocs
02-02-2004, 01:44 AM
So...uhhhh...what's the point in even GETTING the loc maintenance (not to mention being so desperate and demanding about it at that) only to cover them up with a wig??? :huh

23psalms
02-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I'm military, and I wear a wig while in uniform because of our uniform regulations, but as soon as I get home, that thing comes off. I don't understand why she was sweatin you to have her hair done just to cover them up.

By the way, it wasn't me. LOL

rockinlocs
02-02-2004, 01:55 AM

:lol Unhuh...Surrre it wasn't! :razz (kidding)

mochacaremel
02-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Y'all are thinking exactly what I was thinking...I mean if the lady said "I never get my hair done...because I cover it with wigs" then what's the big occassion today?

@QueenLena, I woulda told her "Looks like you'll be adding one more day to 'never' because I ain't doing it!"

I mean, not to sound arrogant or anything, but I know you are in the business of helping people feel beautiful through their hair, not being a co-conspirator in her nap-hatred?!?! Wouldn't you have just felt like the biggest accomplice had you done her hair?

Next time, she shouldn't volunteer that info, just make an appt and keep quiet about her insane loc motives...

Mocha

Ravensholst
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
I must say that does sound pretty wacky. That just goes to show you some ppl are still in the dark about things.

QueenLena03
02-02-2004, 03:44 AM
@Kiana7 that is so true about the vegetarian statement. I like that.

@23psalms. I can definetely understand your position because of your military status. Your last statement had me laughing too hard girl :lol .

Ladies I'm so glad you all are thinking what I was thinking. I'm glad that people like her aren't the majority.

Beryl
02-02-2004, 04:09 AM
The sister in Law & Order wears a wig and has locs or twists underneath. It is just a role but wish they'd get with the program and let her be free.

I only let a wig touch my hair one time since transitioning to natural in 1993 and that was only for about 20 minutes. I'd rather wear a headwrap.

aquababie19
02-02-2004, 04:12 AM
that IS weird! i've never heard of anyone getting their hair done to wear a wig. i'm like yall...what's the mentality here?? what message is she sending??? i agree with you queenlena on this one.

Clarity36
02-02-2004, 02:27 PM
That is so disturbing I had to read it over again to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me.

My question, "Why is she wearing locs?"

It was best for you to not even invite that situation into your salon.

nipnappy
02-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Thaat is too funny yet sad at th same time.What is that lady thinking? I recently interviewed for a job and I was told by the manager (black lady with a bad weave) that she would hire me despite my appearance. When I inquired what she meant, she said that she knew I was being held back because of my hair.

I told her that was not true. Later, I also declined the job offer. I don't feel like I want to be in her department. She was slightly warped.

ini
02-02-2004, 08:17 PM
This sounds bizarre but isn't it the same mentality of someone who wears wigs because they don't think they can wear their natural hair? I don't get why she even has locs in the first place? How bizarre.

PrincessDrRe
02-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Tisk, Tisk.....sad state of affairs. As for my sista on Law & Order, I am hoping that the locs will be released from their prison of the bad wig soon.....

Taking it to stars and locs....Keith Hamilton Cobb is a brother that had....HAD some of the most long, thick, sexy....um.....sorry, excuse me...locs you would ever see. He cut them, and the impression from his website is that he wanted the role on Young and the Restless so bad...that he cut them. I don't know what I would do if actually faced with such a choice, but I can say now that I would say Hades naw!

***Then again, I pray I wouldn't crumble***

www.keithhamiltoncobb.com

mommytimes2
02-06-2004, 02:32 AM
I went to his website and saw him without the locs...... Wow, he still looks good, but just ordinary. :smug

locdbutterfly
02-06-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by 23psalms@Feb 1 2004, 08:52 PM
I'm military, and I wear a wig while in uniform because of our uniform regulations, but as soon as I get home, that thing comes off. I don't understand why she was sweatin you to have her hair done just to cover them up.

:offtopic What uniform regulations are you refering to that has anything about locs in it...i am in the miliary also and i am free to wear my locs IN UNIFORM...as a matter of fact, there are a handful of us loc wearers walking around base...

Back OT...ole girl got a serious problem...

badu03
02-06-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi family ! Sometimes i wear a wig but not because of my baby dreads i wear them when i want to look different since my hair is not that long and it looks the same all the time. But at work im all natural Im a nanny for some white people and when they hired me they told me they love my look then i had a twa. So i can understand why she feels she cant be her self at work no job is that important.IS IT?

mochacaremel
02-06-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by newnapps@Feb 5 2004, 10:16 PM
:offtopic What uniform regulations are you refering to that has anything about locs in it...i am in the miliary also and i am free to wear my locs IN UNIFORM...as a matter of fact, there are a handful of us loc wearers walking around base...

:offtopic I am former Navy and I know in our branch of military locs are not allowed TECHNICALLY. As in, if someone brought out the regs to you and say hey I want you to cut them off, then you would either need to cut them or wear a wig.

And you don't know how long 23Psalms hair is, if it is too long she would definitely not be able to wear them out...

I am just telling you, locs are not embraced in all branches nor on all bases. I'm not saying what I heard, that is what I know.

Mocha

Jassyone
02-06-2004, 05:36 AM
That's not cool....
But how can i say this but,i've REALLY been thinking about getting a fro' wig :doh ...only because i just wanna rock one. I'm definetly not trying to cover my locs, its just that i never had one.

tinovia
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
The Army's regulation "against" locs is AR 670-1 or 2 and they are very specific about what you can't have.

QueenLena03
02-06-2004, 01:59 PM
I actually work with a beautiful sista who wears wigs to give herself a different look every now and then. She has afro wigs and they look really nice on her. It's not a big deal if someone wants change and to see themselves with a different look. That sista on the phone sounded as if she was ashamed to wear her locs to work and that's a different story altogether. Those in the military who have to adhere to guidelines set in place have to do what is necessary. If those guildelines weren't set in place I'm sure we would see many people in the military with locs. I do not get the impression that any person on this forum is ashamed to wear their locs to work. We all know locs are beautiful and they are nothing to be "hiding" because of the stigma attached to locs as being unkept or not professional.

Glanza_Gurl
02-06-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't know...I am interpreting that statement in a different way....maybe it's the job position she has which would not allow her to wear her locks....maybe her co-workers and bosses frown down on the image because in their opinion it does not suit the job she has....she didn't say she will never ever ever wear her hair out, she went on to say that she'd wear it out if she changed positions, so it might very well be her profession....

Anyways, that's just my interpretation

Glanza_Gurl
02-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Further more..this is crazy..the woman can't even defend herself cause she dose not even know about this thread and most likely not even this site.....these sort of comments should not be brought up unless the person has the opportunity to defend themselves.

QueenLena03
02-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Glanza_Gurl@Feb 6 2004, 10:10 AM
Further more..this is crazy..the woman can't even defend herself cause she dose not even know about this thread and most likely not even this site.....these sort of comments should not be brought up unless the person has the opportunity to defend themselves.
This post is not to bash anybody. It is to bring up an issue many loc wearers face concerning not feeling as if their hair is not "professional" enough. No one told the woman to wear a wig. That's against the law to discriminate for hair reasons. Do you have loc? Even if you did don't come here throwing sone nonsense up in the mix. We are discussing our feelings about it and that's it. There are deeper issues many face when they choose to wear locs and that's the focus.

Glanza_Gurl
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Just becasue i do not agree with you dose not make what I am saying "NONSENCE"...I am free to express myself just as everyone else on this site.

nappi_poetri
02-06-2004, 02:20 PM
That's ignorant.

The only things I can think of is that she likes to wear her locs out after work and enjoy them, but she's insecure and submissive in the workplace.

I couldn't dilute my beliefs like that. I'd have to get another job, I love my hair too much.

Peace to you Lena!

locdbutterfly
02-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by mochacaremel+Feb 5 2004, 11:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mochacaremel @ Feb 5 2004, 11:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-newnapps@Feb 5 2004, 10:16 PM

:offtopic I am former Navy and I know in our branch of military locs are not allowed TECHNICALLY. As in, if someone brought out the regs to you and say hey I want you to cut them off, then you would either need to cut them or wear a wig.

And you don&#39;t know how long 23Psalms hair is, if it is too long she would definitely not be able to wear them out...

I am just telling you, locs are not embraced in all branches nor on all bases. I&#39;m not saying what I heard, that is what I know.

Mocha [/b][/quote]
I totally agree that if someone came to you with the regulation and it simply states that you CAN&#39;T where locs, then yeah you do need to do something. What I was saying that may have been misunderstood is, that in the AirForce regulation it don&#39;t specify &#39;locs&#39;. It doesn&#39;t specify any hairdo, it simply states that the hairdo cannot be fadish, which to me is not saying alot. But the Navy maybe different, I don&#39;t know. That is why I was asking.

I just don&#39;t want anyone who is a loc wearer to get the short end of the stick because he/she DON&#39;T know the reg. That&#39;s all I was saying, but hey if the Navy says you can&#39;t wear locs, then you can&#39;t wear them. But you are right, they are not embraced by some, but hey, you can&#39;t please everybody.

locdbutterfly
02-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tinovia@Feb 6 2004, 07:53 AM
The Army&#39;s regulation "against" locs is AR 670-1 or 2 and they are very specific about what you can&#39;t have.
Wow, that&#39;s good information to know...I am glad I am in the AirForce.

teevas
02-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Man, this discussion got a little heated toward the end. I can really relate to image issues. I don&#39;t have dreads, but I have recently transitioned into a TWA. I have wanted to go natural for such a long time, but was more concerned about how Corporate America would feel about me chopping off my shoulder length, silky straight tresses. Admitantly, I was having an identity crisis. QueenLena03, you are so right, the problem was much deeper than how I wore my hair. I had to come to grips with who I really was and wanted to be. When I did the "big chop", I got lots of feed back, both positive and negative. I was grateful for the sistas that said "Go girl" (in so many words), but the one&#39;s that didn&#39;t understand I said
"%@#*" em&#39;. I know that my work speaks for itself and hair does not define who I am. Anyway..........what I am saying is, it is really easy if you don&#39;t have your mind right to try to look the way that you think "they" expect you to look.

W8N2XHL
02-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Only if her locs are a hazard to the type of work she does (operator of a turbo cheese grater), then I could probably understand. Otherwise there is no job that should have an issue with locs.

Even the military is slack with their stand on this. Look at POW Shoshanda Johnson (sp) when she was found after being captured. Gurl had serious braids. When my DH was in the military, I worked on a post with a girl whose hair looked like Woodstock from Charlie Brown. It was the same stiffnes, color and style. Nothing happened to her. Locs do not fall in the category of "fadish" Locs were worn long before women were admitted in the military. (Educate your commanding officer that may question this with the literature available.)

With Corp. Amer. so gung ho about Diversity and accepting EVERYBODY, frowning on locs is a lawsuit waiting for a court date. Remember the landmark case YEARS ago about the female being terminated for wearing braids?

Rather than bowing down to her company, the woman who wears the wigs should have MADE them ACCEPT her culture/heritage. :duck

Where would braid wearers be today if that one lady didn&#39;t fight for her rights?

If you don&#39;t stand up for SOME thing, you&#39;ll fall for ANYTHING.

blumoonbabe
02-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 6 2004, 12:12 PM
Only if her locs are a hazard to the type of work she does (operator of a turbo cheese grater), then I could probably understand. Otherwise there is no job that should have an issue with locs.

Kiana stop it!!!!!!!! LMAO :lol

PrincessDrRe
02-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Off Topic---In Dallas, about 3-4 years ago policemen and women came to the mat about their locs.

Women were fighting the fact that women of the lighter auora were allowed to wear their hair in buns and ethnic women were not allowed to place their hair in the same bun styles.

The men were arguing that they felt more about their locs as a "spiritual" feeling, connected; and they should not be forced to cut them.

I moved before I could find out what was the outcome.

Back to the OP--A wig is unstanderable if you have no SHAME, but are doing it to get your $$$

However a wig, because you are SHAME of your Nappturality....now that is foul & sad.

To the sista in the military (Tinovia) you work it when you can, I understand!!!

Babybee
02-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by QueenLena03+Feb 6 2004, 09:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QueenLena03 @ Feb 6 2004, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Glanza_Gurl@Feb 6 2004, 10:10 AM
Further more..this is crazy..the woman can&#39;t even defend herself cause she dose not even know about this thread and most likely not even this site.....these sort of comments should not be brought up unless the person has the opportunity to defend themselves.
This post is not to bash anybody. It is to bring up an issue many loc wearers face concerning not feeling as if their hair is not "professional" enough. No one told the woman to wear a wig. That&#39;s against the law to discriminate for hair reasons. Do you have loc? Even if you did don&#39;t come here throwing sone nonsense up in the mix. We are discussing our feelings about it and that&#39;s it. There are deeper issues many face when they choose to wear locs and that&#39;s the focus.[/b][/quote]
@Glanza - This is a chat forum. No one has to agree with ANYONE because everyone is entitled to their own opinions as you stated. There will be all sort of topics on this board, some that may infuriate you and others that may make you think. There is no way that a topic that pertains to someone else is only going to take place only when and if that person is there to take part in it. :smug

If that were case I can&#39;t complain about the person that cut me off on the beltway, or the better yet...the leg warmers that Tyra Banks wore on her show last week, or wait...does anyone have Janet Jackson&#39;s phone so I can call and discuss the Super Bowl incident?

@QueenL3
See you in April girl!!!

Bellybutton
02-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Why wear a wig over locks? Is she an actress trying to get a certain &#39;role&#39;?

There is no need to claim an urgency if the locks are simply going to be covered with a wig.

good2uuuu
02-08-2004, 12:36 AM
You know, I&#39;m not loc&#39;d, but sista seems to have some issues. Issues that might need meds. I dunno. :-?

23psalms
02-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Thanks Mocha for putting that info out and coming to my defense. Please bear with me while I state my case.

I&#39;m Navy, 18.5 years, retiring next year, and also quite senior in rank. No, the regs do not specifically say "No Dreadlocks". What they do say is, "no hair or individual locks of hair shall protrude from the head." That regulation applies to anybody, not just a person with "our kind of locs". Now, my hair is locked and about 4 inches. All of us that wear locks knows that at 4 inches, those babies will stick up and sprout any which way they want to. Not to mention putting on and taking off your hat or "cover". That is a clear example of "hair protruding from the head." To get around this reg, I&#39;ve set my locs on curlers a few times and gone to work without the wig. Reason being, curled hair doesn&#39;t "protrude from the head". There&#39;s always a way around something and I&#39;ve been in long enough to know what I can and cannot get away with. (devilish grin)

Now, I&#39;ve been on this journey 15 months now. I&#39;ve wanted locs for a long time, and now that I&#39;m retiring soon, I&#39;ll have what I want. This journey has been one of liberation for me. I&#39;ve looked like everybody else for the past 18 years, now it&#39;s time to be me. If that means I&#39;ve got to break down and sport a wig sometimes, so be it..sometimes we&#39;ve got to do what we&#39;ve got to do. In these past 18 years in the Navy, I&#39;ve seen some things regarding hair and hair styles that most people would not believe. Blacks have a harder time justifying themselves than others, not just in the civilian community, but among the military as well.

If your branch of service allows locks and all their glory, then by all means, loc on. I envy that. We military sistahs are definately making a statement, but think about our male counterparts that may want to loc. No wig can help them.
Peace!!

splendidlox
02-08-2004, 04:33 AM
WOW.........I couldn&#39;t stop reading.

I, too, have worn a wig over my locs! It was actually last August during an interview with a major sports apparel organization. Why did I cover them? Primarily from pressure from the recruiter who &#39;thought&#39; she knew the Sr. Team better than anybody and felt that they wouldn&#39;t approve of my locs - despite my skills. So I covered my locs, and damn near passed out in that hot distribution center on my tour. At the very moment when I walked out of the door I snatched the wig off and sat it on my front seat. I vowed never to wear it again. However, the interviewing process was not over. I was scheduled to go &#39;up north&#39; to corporate for a final round about 2 months later. Keep in mind that my hair had grown quite a bit from the previous session. So the darn wig was waaaaay too tight. I packed my bags for the trip &#39;up north&#39; and placed my wig in my plastic bag for the journey. I debated with myself (why?) the entire flight up there and even the next morning. I even told the recruiter that I would be suited and booted - wig in tow. When I got up that morning to dress for the interview I pulled my wig out of the bag for the very last time to wear. (now we just play with it and scare bad little children with it) The first Sr. VP that I met that morning commented on how lovely my hair was - what a relief! I know it&#39;s easy to say that I didn&#39;t need her confirmation on my choice of hair styles. But I did need the confirmation that the organization was truly one that would accept me because of my skills and background - not my ability to wear my hair like someone else. Needless to say - I was offered the job. You should have seen the faces of the management team here in Memphis when I showed up without the wig! Some were a bit slow on the up-take and asked if I had my hair flipped for my interview and why I changed. I couldn&#39;t resist - I had to tell them it was a wig.

Long story - but that&#39;s just my way of relating to why some folks may have chosen to wear wigs. Now even if I had gone to the final interview with the wig - I was NOT going to report to work with it. Now the sista who chose to wear it daily because of her position - that&#39;s B.S. (Unless she&#39;s working for Tammy Faye and Jim Baker). I&#39;m a Human Resources Manager - who once had issues with my own identity even when others didn&#39;t. So maybe if she takes that tightace wig off she may be able to think clearly and see that corporate america is more accepting than she thought if she is really as &#39;good&#39; in her role as she should be- and if they aren&#39;t then she needs to fluff that wig out and roll on to the next place of employment.

Be blessed!

QueenLena03
02-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by splendidlox@Feb 8 2004, 12:33 AM
WOW.........I couldn&#39;t stop reading.

I, too, have worn a wig over my locs! It was actually last August during an interview with a major sports apparel organization. Why did I cover them? Primarily from pressure from the recruiter who &#39;thought&#39; she knew the Sr. Team better than anybody and felt that they wouldn&#39;t approve of my locs - despite my skills. So I covered my locs, and damn near passed out in that hot distribution center on my tour. At the very moment when I walked out of the door I snatched the wig off and sat it on my front seat. I vowed never to wear it again. However, the interviewing process was not over. I was scheduled to go &#39;up north&#39; to corporate for a final round about 2 months later. Keep in mind that my hair had grown quite a bit from the previous session. So the darn wig was waaaaay too tight. I packed my bags for the trip &#39;up north&#39; and placed my wig in my plastic bag for the journey. I debated with myself (why?) the entire flight up there and even the next morning. I even told the recruiter that I would be suited and booted - wig in tow. When I got up that morning to dress for the interview I pulled my wig out of the bag for the very last time to wear. (now we just play with it and scare bad little children with it) The first Sr. VP that I met that morning commented on how lovely my hair was - what a relief! I know it&#39;s easy to say that I didn&#39;t need her confirmation on my choice of hair styles. But I did need the confirmation that the organization was truly one that would accept me because of my skills and background - not my ability to wear my hair like someone else. Needless to say - I was offered the job. You should have seen the faces of the management team here in Memphis when I showed up without the wig! Some were a bit slow on the up-take and asked if I had my hair flipped for my interview and why I changed. I couldn&#39;t resist - I had to tell them it was a wig.

Long story - but that&#39;s just my way of relating to why some folks may have chosen to wear wigs. Now even if I had gone to the final interview with the wig - I was NOT going to report to work with it. Now the sista who chose to wear it daily because of her position - that&#39;s B.S. (Unless she&#39;s working for Tammy Faye and Jim Baker). I&#39;m a Human Resources Manager - who once had issues with my own identity even when others didn&#39;t. So maybe if she takes that tightace wig off she may be able to think clearly and see that corporate america is more accepting than she thought if she is really as &#39;good&#39; in her role as she should be- and if they aren&#39;t then she needs to fluff that wig out and roll on to the next place of employment.

Be blessed!
Thanks so much for your response :) .

:offtopic Peace Babybee & Nappi_Poetri! Much Luv ladies!

paulicia
02-08-2004, 05:42 AM
You&#39;d be suprised by how many sistahs there are on television with locs/nappturals who wear wigs when they are acting. You&#39;d think in this day and time we wouldn&#39;t have to do that. I watched the Facts of Life reunion movie tonight (yes.. I&#39;ll admit it! :rolling ) and I could not stand that awful wig Kim Fields wore throughout the show. Everyone knows she is sporting blonde locs. I don&#39;t see what&#39;s so wrong with Tootie coming back showing off her own napptural locs.

kenyalikimmie
02-10-2004, 01:02 AM
hmmm... Very interesting topic I must say. I have read everyone&#39;s responses. I do not like the wig idea at all. It makes it seem as if one is ashamed of his/herself. As far as the military situation, the Army has strict rules. Your hair cannot in any way touch the collar of the uniform. The regulations are specific at least at Fort Hood it is.

I went on a very important interview and was asked back to a second interview this pass Thursday. The employer is contracted by the Federal Government and I recieved wonderful compliments on my 6 month old locs. I was hired and I start on this Wednesday. I was proud of myself because the employers were able to see me for who I am and not as if I were hiding something. This is not to say that those who wear wigs are either ashamed or hiding. I do not like the fact that some jobs make it hard for people to be themselves, to love themselves, and or enjoy themselves. A hairstyle should not make or break a job. People should be judged by their work and not thier sense of style.

For the young lady who was hiding under her wig, I feel sorry for her. I also wonder why she was so desprate to get her hair done if she was only going to cover it for 5 days out of the week. Strange.... :huh

splendidlox
02-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by splendidlox@Feb 7 2004, 10:33 PM
I packed my bags for the trip &#39;up north&#39; and placed my wig in my plastic bag for the journey. I debated with myself (why?) the entire flight up there and even the next morning. I even told the recruiter that I would be suited and booted - wig in tow. When I got up that morning to dress for the interview I pulled my wig out of the bag for the very last time to wear. (now we just play with it and scare bad little children with it)
I think, after re-reading my original post that I left the impression that I wore the wig to the 2nd interview. I only pulled it out of the bag - didn&#39;t wear it. Thus the compliment on my locs from the VP.

Just my added $0.02

:-)

W8N2XHL
02-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by splendidlox+Feb 9 2004, 09:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (splendidlox @ Feb 9 2004, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-splendidlox@Feb 7 2004, 10:33 PM
I packed my bags for the trip &#39;up north&#39; and placed my wig in my plastic bag for the journey. I debated with myself (why?) the entire flight up there and even the next morning. I even told the recruiter that I would be suited and booted - wig in tow. When I got up that morning to dress for the interview I pulled my wig out of the bag for the very last time to wear. (now we just play with it and scare bad little children with it)
I think, after re-reading my original post that I left the impression that I wore the wig to the 2nd interview. I only pulled it out of the bag - didn&#39;t wear it. Thus the compliment on my locs from the VP.

Just my added $0.02

:-) [/b][/quote]
I was a bit confused at first, Splendidlox, but did catch on. Way to go and congratulations.

yhwhchild
02-12-2004, 02:36 AM
wigs, military? what are the regulations? your hair can&#39;t touch your collar? so the wig does what to help you stay regualtion?

:-?

kaoticcoil
02-12-2004, 02:41 AM
This was a very interesting topic. I had a friend who did this very thing for a long time. When she finally stopped sporting her crazie looking wigs and began rocking locs, I was so impressed with the beauty of them. I could never understand that :doh

Tazzypeach
03-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Actually..

Her wearing a wig to work isnt all that uncommon. I mean..for my line of corporate work..I MAY just have to do that.

I start my locs next week. And I am looking for a job. It might be somewhat tough for me to do that if my head is in the "looking like a chicken" phase of locs.

Sorry..but such is the game you have to play in corporate America.

Beryl
03-13-2004, 01:55 AM
@Tazzy
How long have you been in corporate America?

Sunchild
03-13-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Tazzypeach@Mar 12 2004, 08:45 PM
"looking like a chicken" phase of locs.

WTF?

marissasensei
03-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Tazzypeach@Mar 12 2004, 04:45 PM
Actually..

Her wearing a wig to work isnt all that uncommon. I mean..for my line of corporate work..I MAY just have to do that.

Sorry..but such is the game you have to play in corporate America.
*jumping into flameproof catsuit* :duck

No offense, but I never understand why people come to this board and act as if their hair dilemmas are so different than those faced by the rest of us. Like they&#39;re the only ones who work in corporate America. As if the rest of us work in a chicken shack or something and can show up to work looking like nappy Cousin It.. :nohuh

There are PLENTY of women on this site rocking fros, locs, twists, whatever in jobs that require them to look &#39;professional,&#39; so for someone (non-military) to suggest that they &#39;have&#39; to wear a wig really makes me wonder . . .

Whew! Felt good to get that out.

MissLoccs
03-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi All,

Sadly enough I have heard of those who have locs and then wear a wig on top of it. Where I go to maintain my locs the locitician talked about a client who does this very thing.

There are positions in the corporate world that have not gotten enlightened to new ideas and force their employees to conform to their ideas of a professional look.

This is sad because locs are so beautiful and they should be shown off! :bis

I think that this sistah is ashamed in some ways of our culture and has to get use to having locs herself. Hopefully she will see the light! :-?

Beryl
03-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by MissLoccs@Mar 13 2004, 09:01 AM
There are positions in the corporate world that have not gotten enlightened to new ideas and force their employees to conform to their ideas of a professional look.
There are PEOPLE who feel that locs are not professional. The problem is not the position nor the corporation, however.

I can&#39;t tell you how many young people I meet everyday who think that wearing their hair straight will help their careers. They are so surprised when their careers don&#39;t go anywhere after they&#39;ve gone through those UNNATURAL acts. OTOH, many of the sisters who are moving along are wearing TWAs, locs, twists, braids, and even chunky BAA.

expecting
03-13-2004, 05:56 PM
I just can&#39;t get over Keith Hamilton Cobb cutting his locks. Lawd no! He had the most beautiful ones ......

aquababie19
03-13-2004, 06:39 PM
if you think you are gonna look like a chicken, then maybe locing isn&#39;t for you.

MissLoccs
03-13-2004, 06:53 PM
[quote]"I can&#39;t tell you how many young people I meet everyday who think that wearing their hair straight will help their careers."

Yes, you are right. I think though as long as we represent locs, twists,etc. professionally it hopefully will change.

I am not condemning anyone for wearing a wig because of work. We all have to do what is necessary.

I am lucky to be able to wear locs at my job. Hopefully changes will occur as exposure happens in the media and other places.

Tazzypeach
03-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I am sorry. But..I think everyone has their own journey to embark upon. I dont put anyone down for whatever reason.
All I was saying was...I can SEE why she may not want to wer her locs at her job. Have an open mind.......I am not saying no one can relate.

To answer your question: I am in publishing/editing. However, I am in between jobs and I am looking for a new one now. I just finished my Master&#39;s.

*sigh*..Nevermind. I refuse to be attacked.

Wise1
03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I start my locs next week. And I am looking for a job. It might be somewhat tough for me to do that if my head is in the "looking like a chicken" phase of locs.

Sorry..but such is the game you have to play in corporate America

Wow I am very disturbed by this statement I mean really WTF.
Maybe you don&#39;t need locs if you feel this way about them. Really, what stage did you see that looked like a chicken!!! I&#39;ve never seen this stage and I&#39;ve been through all of them!!! Did some one add this stage!!

You know what and this is :offtopic I think some ppl are getting locs as a style now. Not b/c they want to change and stop living the LYE!!!!

Girl did you not know there are sistahs out there making big money in Corporate America who have beautiful locs and natural hair!!!
If you are this afraid of what corporate america thinks of YOU NATURALLY, and will lie down for corporate america then you&#39;ll never make it in corporate america.

No one ever made anything of themselves lying down.

MissJazz
03-15-2004, 07:12 PM
It&#39;s a sad sad day... :nohuh

ini
03-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Tazzypeach@Mar 15 2004, 01:43 PM
I am sorry. But..I think everyone has their own journey to embark upon. I dont put anyone down for whatever reason.
All I was saying was...I can SEE why she may not want to wer her locs at her job. Have an open mind.......I am not saying no one can relate.

To answer your question: I am in publishing/editing. However, I am in between jobs and I am looking for a new one now. I just finished my Master&#39;s.

*sigh*..Nevermind. I refuse to be attacked.
@Tazzy,
I don&#39;t think you&#39;re being "attacked"...just enlightened. If you trully think your hair will look like a "chicken" that makes me sad. I worked in CA for years and wore everything imaginable on my head. Never stopped me from getting a job, a promotion, a bonus or recognition. It&#39;s all about a mind shift hon. There really is no such thing as a valid reason to have to cover your natural hair up for a job, whether it&#39;s loced or not.

To each his own, :bubble

niknik
03-16-2004, 01:11 AM
All I can say is "WHAT?"

KinkyCoils
03-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Well, I&#39;m glad I&#39;m where I&#39;m at. At my interview I wore cornrows with twists in the back, still got hired. Although it&#39;s not "corporate america" it shouldn&#39;t matter what your hair looks like. I can understand somewhat if you&#39;re in the military and they pretty much make you wear what they fill is appropriate (sp? having a brain fart). Although I could never wear a wig EVER again I don&#39;t see anything wrong with someone else choosing to do so. To each his/her own. We obviously don&#39;t know what this woman does for work so therefore we can&#39;t really judge her. I mean she might have a family to feed and just has to deal with wearing a wig on her head to work. Maybe she loves her locs, but can&#39;t wear them to work and can&#39;t quit that job just like that. You know when I told my mom that I was loc&#39;ing my hair, she said that won&#39;t go over in "corporate america". I was like who freakin&#39; cares, but if they didn&#39;t want me to wear my locs I&#39;d be searching for a new job with a quickness, but I wouldn&#39;t just quit. I got kids to feed. KWIM?

locfreeme
03-16-2004, 02:15 AM
You CAN wear locs in the Navy. I&#39;m locfree now (locfreeme), but had no problems whatsoever. I pinned my locs up into either a bun or cornrows when in uniform. My locs were halfway down my back, so I had no choice but to pin them up anyway. I&#39;m sure pinning them up neatly made them more acceptable.

Back to the wig over locs issue...I also don&#39;t understand why it was so urgent for her to get her hair done if she wears a wig over the locs anyway. But, isn&#39;t that her business? We don&#39;t know what her job is like. Maybe she decided she wants her locs now, but is unfortunately not in a position to leave her current job in order to find someplace "loc-friendly" to work. So she has to do what she has to do for now. Doesn&#39;t sound all that unreasonable to me. (By the way, isn&#39;t that the explanation she gave?)

:tiptoe

QueenLena03
03-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils@Mar 15 2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I&#39;m glad I&#39;m where I&#39;m at. At my interview I wore cornrows with twists in the back, still got hired. Although it&#39;s not "corporate america" it shouldn&#39;t matter what your hair looks like. I can understand somewhat if you&#39;re in the military and they pretty much make you wear what they fill is appropriate (sp? having a brain fart). Although I could never wear a wig EVER again I don&#39;t see anything wrong with someone else choosing to do so. To each his/her own. We obviously don&#39;t know what this woman does for work so therefore we can&#39;t really judge her. I mean she might have a family to feed and just has to deal with wearing a wig on her head to work. Maybe she loves her locs, but can&#39;t wear them to work and can&#39;t quit that job just like that. You know when I told my mom that I was loc&#39;ing my hair, she said that won&#39;t go over in "corporate america". I was like who freakin&#39; cares, but if they didn&#39;t want me to wear my locs I&#39;d be searching for a new job with a quickness, but I wouldn&#39;t just quit. I got kids to feed. KWIM?
Since everyone is still posting to this thread let me say I do know that she works in the city school system and she is hoping to become an admininstrator. The brotha who referred her to the salon and knows her personally did express that she is ashamed to wear her locs out and that&#39;s the bottom line. He says she is a cool person but she has that hang up about her hair. So for all of those people saying it&#39;s okay...I disagree. I wouldn&#39;t judge a person solely on that one action. I just disagree with that choice to hide your locs for a job that has many other employees wearing locs on the regular. No job is worth hiding under a wig especially when I have choices about where I can work.

W8N2XHL
03-16-2004, 03:06 AM
It seems her issues are within. I pray she finds the strength to allow herself to be free from her self inflicting bondage.

23psalms
03-16-2004, 04:01 AM
@locfreeme,

If my locs are your length before I retire, you can best believe they&#39;ll be pinned up in a neat bun. ;-) But for now, I don&#39;t have the length to do that. I never said you CAN&#39;T wear locs in the Navy, you&#39;ve just got to be within the regs...and that&#39;s for all hair types and styles. If I was a civilian, I&#39;d wear my locs, job be damned.
23rd...

Rooted-Sis
03-16-2004, 04:01 AM
IMO this sounds like a classic case of low self-esteem an&#39; lack of self-confidence :rolling . Now if it were me an&#39; I felt forced 2 wear a wig...man it would have 2B a :rainfro Can I get a witness! LOL :thumbsup

1 :heart

Tazzypeach
03-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Aiight..one last thing..then my black a&ss is out this B!

Personally. I am not doing this for style. I can speak for myself. I been natural almost 6 years now. And I been nuturing and preparing myself mind, body and soul for this.

But I also understand corporate ameriKKKA. My boyfriend has locs. His job asked him to cut them for a promotion. He refused. Now...he cant just up and leave his job. We know what Bush has done to the economy. But he isnt happy.

All i said was.......I CAN UNDERSTAND why a woman does that. We dont know her job situation.........maybe she CANT get a new a job right now. Enlightening is one thing......and I dont feel that here. Yeah..locs go through some weird phases...and sometimes..a head wrap or etc. might be needed.

All I am saying is give the sista a break. *shrug* She does need help and prayer....I tell ya...sistas wif locs take their hair SERIOUSLY! Its like talking about religion with your devout Grandma! LOL.........j/k

Well.......I am out the mugg! And If I ever need help with my hair........i may tip on in from time to time.

QueenLena03
03-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Tazzypeach@Mar 15 2004, 11:18 PM
Aiight..one last thing..then my black a&ss is out this B!

Personally. I am not doing this for style. I can speak for myself. I been natural almost 6 years now. And I been nuturing and preparing myself mind, body and soul for this.

But I also understand corporate ameriKKKA. My boyfriend has locs. His job asked him to cut them for a promotion. He refused. Now...he cant just up and leave his job. We know what Bush has done to the economy. But he isnt happy.

All i said was.......I CAN UNDERSTAND why a woman does that. We dont know her job situation.........maybe she CANT get a new a job right now. Enlightening is one thing......and I dont feel that here. Yeah..locs go through some weird phases...and sometimes..a head wrap or etc. might be needed.

All I am saying is give the sista a break. *shrug* She does need help and prayer....I tell ya...sistas wif locs take their hair SERIOUSLY! Its like talking about religion with your devout Grandma! LOL.........j/k

Well.......I am out the mugg! And If I ever need help with my hair........i may tip on in from time to time.
Like I said there are many teachers and adminstrators in the city school system with locs. That&#39;s no excuse about her finding another job because of her hair. The brotha who is my client is a teacher in that same school system and has 4 year old locs. It&#39;s very much a personal issue within her not with the job. I do hope she embraces her locs one day.

KinkyCoils
03-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by QueenLena03+Mar 15 2004, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (QueenLena03 @ Mar 15 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KinkyCoils@Mar 15 2004, 08:54 PM
Since everyone is still posting to this thread let me say I do know that she works in the city school system and she is hoping to become an admininstrator. The brotha who referred her to the salon and knows her personally did express that she is ashamed to wear her locs out and that&#39;s the bottom line. He says she is a cool person but she has that hang up about her hair. So for all of those people saying it&#39;s okay...I disagree. I wouldn&#39;t judge a person solely on that one action. I just disagree with that choice to hide your locs for a job that has many other employees wearing locs on the regular. No job is worth hiding under a wig especially when I have choices about where I can work. [/b][/quote]
Well, Queen, now that you let us know this info. This changes my response. Now I understand why you feel the way you do.

QueenLena03
03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by KinkyCoils+Mar 25 2004, 12:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KinkyCoils @ Mar 25 2004, 12:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by QueenLena03@Mar 15 2004, 09:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KinkyCoils@Mar 15 2004, 08:54 PM
Since everyone is still posting to this thread let me say I do know that she works in the city school system and she is hoping to become an admininstrator. The brotha who referred her to the salon and knows her personally did express that she is ashamed to wear her locs out and that&#39;s the bottom line. He says she is a cool person but she has that hang up about her hair. So for all of those people saying it&#39;s okay...I disagree. I wouldn&#39;t judge a person solely on that one action. I just disagree with that choice to hide your locs for a job that has many other employees wearing locs on the regular. No job is worth hiding under a wig especially when I have choices about where I can work.
Well, Queen, now that you let us know this info. This changes my response. Now I understand why you feel the way you do. [/b][/quote]
Yeah I do see how that info would add more to the story. Either way I am glad to see everyone responding with their experiences and thoughts. Thanks ladies :)