PDA

View Full Version : Winter Protective Style Challenge

iscott555
10-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey ladies, I remember last year we had a winter protective style challenge and I just thought it would be a good idea to start one up again this year. I know there are some of us doing the crown & glory challenge, but you can still do this one too....just keep your hair braided or twisted or in some form of a protective style throughout these cold, dry winter months and remember to moisturize on a regular and see where you hair ends up in the sprin.

My winter plan is to keep my extensions in until December and then take those out and where twists with my own hair until February and then putting extensions back in for about two months (following the crown & glory method). Also I will be moisturizing my hair every other day...and while my hair is out of the extensions I will deep condition it weekly. Last year when I did this challenge I saw a lot of growth and my hair was so healthy so I'm very excited to see how my hair will be in the spring after the challenge is over and my little girl is here!

so who's in????

turnergirl
10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I am in. I am very excited about this. I have been natural for almost four years and this will be the first time I have done a PSC. I am currently in the one that ends in December and I just joined crown and glory but this will work better.

My winter challenge will consist of wearing my hair in twists with my own hair until mid November.
Then I will deep condition, henna and retwists and keep those in until the end of December.
I will retwist around my nape and along my parts every 2 weeks.
I will moisturize my ends with Infusium 21 and honey mixture every other day.
I will keep my scalp clean and refreshed by rinsing my twists once every 2 weeks. Daily refreshing with an astringent of some sort.
After Decemeber I will put in Kinky Twist extensions to be worn for 2 months.
After that I will twist with my own hair to be worn for 6 weeks.
It will be warm in the south by then.

I am taking vitamins daily and drinking the recommended amount of water.

Thanks for starting this challenge I am more than happy to protect my hair.

cheetarah19
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm in!! I'm already in the previous 3 month challenge as well as the braid challenge. I plan to keep these braids in until mid December. Then I will wear twists for roughly two weeks. Since I will be in Cameroon and can get my hair braided on the cheap, I will have another set of braids done at the beginning of January. I will wear those through the first week of March. Then I will try something new: comb coils! Those should take me through winter. I'll be sure to keep my hair clean and moisturized. I love PSCs.

ray
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I am in. I am about to take my braids out and put some twist in. When they are out I will deep condition every week for about two weeks and put in some more braids. Wash once or twice a week and use leave in conditioner in between washings.

LadyT007
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I wish I could participate. I think my hair is long enough for twists but I have not been able to do any as of yet. I think I am twist challenged. I can't afford to have them done by a professional.

Will a shrunken fro qualify?

liberationtheory
10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
i'm most definitely in since i've already started my own protective style challenge. i'm on week 6 right now. i've done 2 rounds of twists and am now in box braids. this weekend i co-washed them and used some castor oil. i put them up in bantu knots to dry and am currently wearing them spirally.

next i'm going to try the 3-strand twists. look for the update in my signature.

my goals are to keep my hair in protective styles, keep my hair moisturized daily, and to keep my satin bonnet on along with my satin pillowcase on every nite.

i plan to trim another inch of the dye off in december. that will leave me with 1-2 inches of dye left in some places and all of it gone in the front.

4real
10-24-2006, 06:27 PM
i'm in i'm like turnergirl almost four years (in less than 2 months) and my first time doing a challenge. but i have noticed that my hair acts funky in the winter months so this is perfect. i am growing out a twa so i'll be doing twists and box braids and cornrows with extensions.

yassylane
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
IM IN! Im excited, Ive never been in a PSC ever before. I think this will be a way to reach my goal, I currently have 13 inches of hair all over but my goal is to have 18 inches this time next year. I think this challenge will get me over the slow growth winter months. HA HA Ima challenger :P .

iscott555
10-25-2006, 12:41 AM
yay!!!! I'm glad we have quite a few people! I'm so excited! I also forgot to ask if anyone was planning on doing any exercises...I will definitely be walking (i'm trying to make this labor as easy and natural as possible) and I am making an album in my fotki to track my progress. I'm so excited!

tmichelle
10-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Count me in too! I'm new to nappturality and don't yet have a regime but I plan on piecing one togther ASAP. I've been without chemicals for 10 years but would get my hair burnt regularly. I'm through with the heat! The damage has been so bad I might as well have been using a chemical fire cream (I'm quite serious and am not exaggerating). :( For the last week I've been wearing my hair in 16 braids or a braid out. I plan on keeping up protective styles through the winter so this challenge is right up my alley!

As for exercise I've always had a fantasy about doing the splits. Well I've joined a couple of exercise/ stretching classes and I'm working toward my goal.

I have started to take prenatal vitamins again which I hope will help with my hair. After taking them for months without any pregnancy they became depressing so I put them away. Well now a couple of years later I've pulled them out again thinking they'll at least be good for my hair :)

ROFLOL! That is too funny! I typed a word for straightening my hair with a flaming hot tool of hair torture and the word "burnt" actually appeared in my post. Also I typed a word chemically straightening my hair and "chemical fire cream" showed up. That is only too accurate!

Okay, one more on my edit I typed a word for a piece of metal that one heats up to draw through their hair to straighten it and it is interpreted "flaming hot tool of hair torture". Too funny! :lol: and sadly too true!

Button2004
10-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Sure, I am down. I am going to explore different styles this time too. ^_^

tweetnaps
10-25-2006, 05:47 AM
i am down.....current wearing cornrows ,without extensions, for the second week...will be taking down this weekend and i will put twists in using coconut oil and and curly meringue

ajargon
10-25-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't normally were my hair out from oct-mar. The winters can be really harsh here in NE ohio, and plus I just don't really want to mess w/ my hair. :wub: I will be right in there w/ ya'll. I just put these twists in on the 21st, and it wont' come out till nov 21.Then I will deep condition and henna, and back in twists. I usually conditioner wash weekly w/ twists in, and use a leave in daily or eod. I will be right in there w/ yall. I need to give a bit more attention to my ends though.

esquire_con_locs
10-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm in!!!! I love the way my hair responds to PSCs :D !!!!!

turnergirl
10-25-2006, 08:42 AM
i'm in i'm like turnergirl almost four years (in less than 2 months) and my first time doing a challenge. but i have noticed that my hair acts funky in the winter months so this is perfect. i am growing out a twa so i'll be doing twists and box braids and cornrows with extensions.
[/b]

Wow. I BC's in December of 2002 also. I am very excited about this challenge. I may learn something new about my hair and I thought I had it all figured out.

mijge
10-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I AM IN!!!!!! :)

I have never did a challege and I am hoping to add some length to my hair over the winter. I am currently wearing a straw set that is probably going to last me another week. So I will begin the protective styles challenge on Nov. 1st with either box braids or 2 strand twist and alternate them until march. I am so excited!!!! :wub: this will keep me from falling into a trap of pre.ssing my hair. Everyone keeps tring to convince me to burn my hair straight because they know my hair would be really long! This challenge is right on time!

NewYorkSHELL
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm in... Kinky Twists & Braids until spring!

tishax2000
10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I would like to participate. This will be my first one!...
BUT
since my hair has different textures, how can I maintain my twist (with co/washing, and regular shampoo)? I just got my hair colored two weeks ago and i HAVE to deep condition every week to not dry it out.
SO
my most problematic area of my hair is the top (which is the longest), and it's very wavy and ends are soo straight you have to manipulate(?) the ends to keep them from unraveling. I would love to keep two strand twist in for like a month, but dont think i can manage that b/c my hair also likes to 'dread' up really easily.
Any help/suggestions would be great!

Tish

Khandroma
10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Count me in. I plan on alternating between cornrows with extensions and twists for the rest of the winter.

Chyna Black
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Okay count me in on this one, also my first time PSC. Currently wearing twists, but I plan to do kinky twist extensions very soon.

Curious, I would love to wear my fro for my bday which is Dec 18th so a few days out will not disqualify me or anything right? :blush:

The rest of the time I will be twisted, braided, or some other style...... ^_^

turnergirl
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi Tish,
I read that you were asking for some advice. I had a similar problem with my hair and twists. My hair the front is very wavy and I got my hair colored and straightened a couple of times 2 years ago. I ended up with some fairly straight peices of hair that would not twist. To wear twists I would take the twists with straight ends and set them at the very bottom with small rods. Be careful not to roll them all the way to the root. Just at the very ends and they will curl up and stay twisted.

Also about the deep conditioning. You don't have to leave the twists in for a month. How about twisting your hair with a moisturizing product, like shea butter or aloe vera. Something your hair repsonds to very well. Try to stay away from gel as it often dries hair out. Then daily mist your hair with a moisturizing spray. Maybe a leave in with Honey or oil added. Leave your twists in for a week or week and a half. Then take them down, deep condition and retwist.

If you are going to retwist every other week or so just do medium size twists vs. smaller twists so you won't spend all of your time doing your hair. Even if you leave your twists in for just a week that will be 7 days that you did not have to comb tug or stress your hair. Every bit counts. Come on girl Join us!!!!!

scarcity21
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Im in . I've had micros in since 9/21. will take 'em out soon and put in twists till january/february, i hope.

Will wash atleast once a week and keep moisturised with braid spray. hope to start taking my vit consistently.
When i save up enough money, will like to try viviscal.

Nachural
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I am in too... Currently have yarn braids. Hope to keep them for 6 to 8 weeks. I might then either re-do the yarn braids or have my hair in twists. I look forward to the challenge :wub:

tmichelle
10-25-2006, 04:50 PM
What are the rules? I've never done one before.

But I'm still looking forward to it :)

ChelWren
10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey ladies! I will be joining this challenge soon. I did it last year while I was transitioning. Now that I am natural, I will be doing it but just to keep my hair out of my face for when the new baby arrives. :P I will be wearing twists, as soon as I get up the energy to do my hair.

Chelci

jaznia15
10-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I need more practice in doing my own twists and braids and so I am in. I will twist my hair today. :D

carameldiva
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna be cornrowing my hair and wigging it. i cornrowed my hair into 6 cornrows yesterday and wore my wig for the first time. I love it. i will still do my henna treatment weekly and wash/condition/deep condtion at that time.

So ladies, count me in.

iscott555
10-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Ok I can't remember who asked...but yes It's ok to wear your hair out for a couple of days...but the goal is to try to keep your hair in a protective style as long as possible...no one will kick you out the challenge...it's a challenge so you must challenge yourself. It's completely fine to take your twists down to deep condition or wash your hair if you don't feel comfortable washing with the twists in. I'm glad that there are so many people involved! Don't forget to drink a lot of water and eat healthy because a healthy head comes from the inside too! Is anyone going to be exercising?

MsTee
10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
I am in. I have already been in my first set of twists for the past week. I am prepared to challenge myself. It just so happens that I have become bored with wearing my hair out.

My health routine: I am already working out 2-3 times per week, drinking at least 64 oz. of water, and taking daily vitamin supplements.

My hair routine: I plan to co-wash & retwist/rebraid about once per week.
Sweet almond oil worked really well on this set of twists; I think I will continue to use that and use my lavender/sweet almond oil spritz as needed (I think I am going to add Suave condish to it for heavier moisture).

My style routine: I will primarily wear twists, but will try finger coils again, and will also experiment with box braids! This will also give me the chance to work on my cornrowing skills.

My concern: I have developed a tendency to retwist those that are flat or frizzy looking before it's time to wash and retwist. Does that go against the challenge, and it this as damaging to my hair as pulling on a loose style every day?

I'm excited and am ready to give it a try!

iscott555
10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I am in. I have already been in my first set of twists for the past week. I am prepared to challenge myself. It just so happens that I have become bored with wearing my hair out.

My health routine: I am already working out 2-3 times per week, drinking at least 64 oz. of water, and taking daily vitamin supplements.

My hair routine: I plan to co-wash & retwist/rebraid about once per week.
Sweet almond oil worked really well on this set of twists; I think I will continue to use that and use my lavender/sweet almond oil spritz as needed (I think I am going to add Suave condish to it for heavier moisture).

My style routine: I will primarily wear twists, but will try finger coils again, and will also experiment with box braids! This will also give me the chance to work on my cornrowing skills.

My concern: I have developed a tendency to retwist those that are flat or frizzy looking before it's time to wash and retwist. Does that go against the challenge, and it this as damaging to my hair as pulling on a loose style every day?

I'm excited and am ready to give it a try!
[/b]

I think the more you mess with your hair the more you will be pulling hair out which defeats the purpose of a protective style. The purpose of this challenge is to keep your hands out of your hair as long as possible so you won't be pulling out your hair. I'm not sure if it's as damaging or not but try not retwisting before wash time....I had that same problem I just couldn't keep my hands out my hair! so I know how it is!

onie_p
10-26-2006, 07:28 PM
It feels so good to be BACK! YES MA'AM I will do the protective style challenge keeping my hair twisted washing and conditioning in between sets. :D

tweetnaps
10-27-2006, 06:58 AM
well i will be twisting my hair this weekend ....already got movies to watch while doing it

iscott555
10-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I was thinking we could post before and after pics...I just keep forgetting to post mine :lol:

liberationtheory
10-27-2006, 05:20 PM
i just finished week 6. my box braids are still in. i'll post some updates on them this weekend. these have been my styles:

week 1-2: twists
week 3: flat twist in front and 2 strand in the back
week 4: took flat twists out and put them in 2 strands
week 5: box braids
week 6: put box braids in bantu knots and wore them curly this week.

i plan on co-washing this weekend and resetting them in bantu knots. i think i easily have 2 weeks left with this set of braids.

iscott555
10-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Alright! well today I am going on my walk and then the SO and I are cleaning the house...so I feel like this will be a very active day for me and I should get a lot of exercise. I haven't taken pictures of my kinky twists because I can't find my camera! I tell you I get more scatterbrained each and everyday...I will be a total wreck by the time the baby arrives :lol: Anywho, this is the third week with my twists extensions and I'm doing pretty good about not fussing over them and wanting to take them out so hopefully I will keep these in until the first week of December...talk to you ladies later!

Rhapsodie
10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, I'm in the braid challenge but i can join this as well :P . I've had my box braids in for 2 weeks now, trying to keep them in for another 2 weeks.

After I take these out, I will probably try my hand at putting extensions in myself and keep those for a while.

so, I'm definitely in.

naturalnyc
10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
count me in. I've been doing it since the end of sept. I plan is to:
- keep my hair twisted all winter for 3-4 weeks at a time
-shampoo/deep condition twists once or twice a week and retwist only the fuzzy ones for neatness. absolutely no re-combing at all.
-nearing the end of week 4 remove twists and wear hair out undisturbed in twist out for a few days
-at end of week 4 shampoo, deep condition detangle and start process all over again.

my wash and go is officially in hibernation for the winter :D

Habica
10-28-2006, 11:44 AM
[b]I've been considering doing my micro twists and keeping my hands out of my hair. Right now I have conditioner in my hair. I'll wash my hair w/ twists in very 2 weeks. I think that I can wear without retwisting for at least 5 weeks. I do have a multi-vitamin w/ biotin in it, I haven't been taking it regularly because I haven't been eating all that healthy.

tinykias
10-28-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd like to do this too. I have no clue how long I've had my braids in but I was doing it on my own.
So what are the rules?

-tinykias

cheetarah19
10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd like to do this too. I have no clue how long I've had my braids in but I was doing it on my own.
So what are the rules?

-tinykias
[/b]

I think the rules are the same as they have been for all the other PSCs. Keep your hair in an unmanipulated protective style all winter. You can take down the style to wash, condition, trim, etc, but your hair has got to go right back into another protective style afterwards. Twistout are acceptable, as long as you don't manipulate them. You can add to the challenge to fit your personal needs (exercise, water intake, vitamins, special routine, etc.). The whole point is to cut down on daily manipulation in order to prevent breakage; and also to protect your ends from harsh weather conditions.

So are you in?

iscott555
10-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Yup! exactly what cheetarah said! Ok so I've located the camera but I have no batteries :lol: For those wearing extensions are you following the crown and glory method and redoing the braids around the nape of your neck and ears every 2-3 weeks? I redid some of my twists and I think it helps with those who have serious Hand In Fro disease!

tinykias
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Yep cheetarah19 I'm in. :)

LuaBonita
10-29-2006, 12:18 PM
i guess im in this one too. im going to try to do the crown and glory method... but i think my plan to wash once a week may go against that plan (i dont really get it)...

aw well. its still a protective challenge ssoo i guess im fine here too :)

iscott555
10-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Ok So I have the camera and the batteries...so here are the pictures! Does everyone have their twists in yet?

http://public.fotki.com/iscott555/winter-protective-s/

tru2me
10-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Hello ladies!

Count me in too! I started the crown and glory challenge about a month ago. I put in my own set of kinky twist extensions. And, due to my 'hand in fro' issue, I took those bad boys out last night and put in a set of mini twists on my own hair. I'll TRY to keep these in for a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

MsTee
10-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I just finished my new set of twists. I will update my Fotki this week, so you can track my progress as I begin the challenge!

ETA:

I have a question that I'm curious to hear answers to: How do most of you all keep your twists looking fresh overnight...satin bonnet? scarf? pillow? something else? What do you do in the morning to deal with flatness and such?

liberationtheory
10-29-2006, 04:30 PM
^^^ i wear a bonnet instead of scarf. and then i let the steam from teh shower plump them back up. sometimes i spray with a spritz before i shower so the steam can let the spritz absorb.

lsubabiedee
10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
im in. im starting my second week of twists.

iscott555
10-29-2006, 07:48 PM
^^^ i wear a bonnet instead of scarf. and then i let the steam from teh shower plump them back up. sometimes i spray with a spritz before i shower so the steam can let the spritz absorb.
[/b]

Yeah that's pretty much what I do....sleep with a bonnet and then let the steam refresh them

@tru2me- I definitely did that...I put in some braids and then took them out a few weeks later :lol: that hand in fro disease is some serious business :D

SoSoul
10-30-2006, 05:39 AM
i'm in!!!!!! i have such a hard time keeping protective styles in my hair. but right now i do have it in two strands. and i NEED to keep my hair in during the winter months cause in order for me to fit a hat over it i have to braid it down or something. lol

tweetnaps
10-30-2006, 06:14 AM
satin wrap...i tousled the twists in the morning and just let steam or the air fluff it up

kisses003
10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm in! I am just now able to make twists that are cute enough to wear outside! They currently only last about a week, but I'll see if I can extend that to two.

iscott555
10-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd like to do this but my hair does NOT like twists. Or rather my scalp doesn't. I can have them in for a day or so before my scalp just starts itching like the crazy and I have to take them down. Now amount of water or spritizing helps; my hair needs to be WASHED.

So I'm gonna see about wearing headwraps and twistouts.
[/b]

yeah I understand about the scalp not liking hairstyles...my SO's hair does NOT like cornrows....whenever he gets cornrows put in his scalp gets so dry no matter how much moisturizing we do and then his scalp gets red...it's just crazy! So yeah don't do twists if it's going to damage your hair....are there any other protective styles you can do? Like braids or extensions,etc?

michelle1908
10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm in. Just retwisted last night. Hoping to make these last for 2 weeks.

lsubabiedee
10-30-2006, 10:49 AM
I washed my twists this morning. i think i might be able to go longer than a week with these.

NewYorkSHELL
10-30-2006, 02:13 PM
....i'm in. i wore a cornrow style for a month. currently i have twist extensions. i plan to keep these in until christmas & then i'll either do micros or the twists again.

missCONGENIALity
10-30-2006, 04:04 PM
I am going to try. I just retwisted my twist last night. I am hoping to make it through November and see how it goes from there. My hair feels really, really dry especially the ends. I really don't know what to do.

turnergirl
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I am going to try. I just retwisted my twist last night. I am hoping to make it through November and see how it goes from there. My hair feels really, really dry especially the ends. I really don't know what to do.
[/b]

Try the baggie method. If you are worried about your ends while your twists are in, this is an option. Put something moisturizing, your choice. I would do a water based moisturizer or conditioner on the ends of your twists and either put a shower cap over your head while you sleep or put twists in a pony tail and secure a plastic bag over the ptail with a band. This will seal the moisture in over night. I have done this unitentionally once. I was trying to keep my pillow from getting wet and woke up with extra soft hair.
I hope it helps.

Also get a spray bottle and put your favorite moisturizing spritz in. Use it to keep those ends moist. Also if your hair is long enough you can pin your braids or twists in a way that covers the ends. Or cover your head when you are in the cold. That should help your ends also.

kmanadi
10-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I've never participated in a challenge before either. Sounds like fun and a great idea for this winter. Last winter I BCed so this will be interesting. :) I just updated my album with twist that I did today.

www.fotki.com/kmanadi

Pookster05
10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
I wish I could participate but my twists just aren't cute and I don't really know how to make them cute! I'm really style challenged at the moment! :(

iscott555
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I wish I could participate but my twists just aren't cute and I don't really know how to make them cute! I'm really style challenged at the moment! :(
[/b]

I'm sure your twists look fine...but if you're worried you should check out some fotki albums and see how other people do their twists....this will be a great opportunity to perfect your twist styles!

iscott555
10-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Oh ladies give me strength! I want to take out these extensions so bad and style my own hair....don't worry I still want to keep my hair in protective styles I just have some serious HIF disease and I need to feel my hair again!

Chyna Black
10-31-2006, 11:20 AM
On my second week with twists. Well I have not gone two weeks not washing my hair. So this is my second set. :)
Routine:

I wash and condition on Saturday, braid it up to dry. Sometime on Sunday I start twisting. I wear my twist till Thursday, fierce twist out on Friday then start all over on Saturday.

I put in some flat twist in the front of my hair, and I pinned them up in style with twist on the side. I think I will add pictures on Fotki this weekend.

Pookster, you can try to roll your twists or maybe pin the up on one side. Maybe flat twist the front, just play with them. Have you tried headwraps yet? Don't give up!!! :)

turnergirl
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh ladies give me strength! I want to take out these extensions so bad and style my own hair....don't worry I still want to keep my hair in protective styles I just have some serious HIF disease and I need to feel my hair again!
[/b]

You can do it!!!! If you have had them for over two weeks just take the one around your nape down and rebraid. That is a good idea since this area tends to collect crud at the base. Maybe this will satisfy the hand in hair disease. I am on week 5 of twists and that is a big deal considering the fact that they are looking pretty fuzy. I think I may do extensions the next time. I will be able to make it 2 months. Honestly, I am to take them down at week 6 but I am not sure how I feel about that. I don't want to have to untagle of this hair. I need strength to do the right thing by my hair.

innerbeauty
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I am on a protective style challenge until New Years but right now I am on a braid challenge. I have had box braids in since Oct. 12th. They are still looking pretty good so maybe I will keep them for another 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes!!!!

October PSC Updates!!!

http://public.fotki.com/innerbeauty1/

cheetarah19
10-31-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm seriously sick of these braids already. I don't necessarily miss my fro, but I have a hankering for some twists. However the thought of actually taking these braids down is keeping them in for the long haul. So ladies I feel your pain. They don't call it a challenge for nothing.

4real
10-31-2006, 05:31 PM
i am wearing twists right now but i was thinking about trying yarn braids or twists this weekend or next.
in reply to the fitness routine question
i work out 3-4 days a week usually includes an aerobics class and pilates class and running and some lifting. the length of my hair and my fitness routine make it difficult to keep styles in without extensions. but ihaven't tried rinsing the twists or braids. i will attempt that. but usually the styles with just my hair last at max a week and a half.

eri
11-01-2006, 11:24 AM
i'm in. i kind of fizzled out in the middle of october, but i'm back. got cornrows last night. hopefully they will last two weeks.

Button2004
11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I am still wearing my twists. Will be trying box braids this weekend. :)

iscott555
11-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Thank you turnergirl for your encouragement...I have decided that I will hold on for two more weeks and then I'm taking these things down and deep conditioning and then I will be using twists with my own hair. I already took down the braids around the nape of the neck :lol: so lately I've just been redoing random twists...but I just miss my hair! Also I just want to do one style and leave my hair alone but you can't do that with extensions because it's not good for your hair...so two weeks ladies...I think I can keep these extensions for two weeks and hopefully I won't weaken before then! Keep it going ladies!

Pookster05
11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Ok I am in! Chyna I wear headwraps a lot and I have been wearing them whenever I decide to twist my hair b/c my twists be so jacked up! Hopefully this challenge will give me enough practice to perfect my twists. I have to start sometime this weekend b/c I have too much homework and not enough time! ;)

Kat Nappydeen
11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Well I've been keeping twists a month at a time since September. At the beginning of each month, I wash/condition/retwist. I'll continue this practice indefinitely.

Rhapsodie
11-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm seriously sick of these braids already. I don't necessarily miss my fro, but I have a hankering for some twists. However the thought of actually taking these braids down is keeping them in for the long haul. So ladies I feel your pain. They don't call it a challenge for nothing.
[/b]

Me too man, me too!!!! :lol:

I want these box braids OUT!!! But i'm gonna try to go for one more week to make it a full month. i think i can get through that b/c I've got a lot of schoolwork to do this weekend which will leave me with no time to take out my braids. cuz trust it's gonna take a WHILE take these down :P .

Just hang in there cheetarah, I'm struggling too.

Ms-gg
11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Ill try to be in because I want to retain as much length as possible for my bday in feb...even though I have 3 inches of hair...Ill try

To all the ladies who have had twists on short hair or have short hair...in those problem areas....what do you use to hold them? I use ORS lock n twist gel for twist but what do you all recommend? And what do you add to your spritz to moisturize? Help a sista out :)

lsubabiedee
11-02-2006, 11:56 AM
this is way easier than it used to be. i've almost perfected rinsing and washing in twists without them getting wrecked. and it looks like i can actually make it longer than a week or a week and a half in a style.

shoot, my twists still look good.

iscott555
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok I redid the edges of my twist extensions and I am seeing some nice growth....so I'm really trying to hold on for the next two weeks...how are the rest of you ladies doing? Are we drinking water? Are we moisturizing? Don't give up ladies we can do this!

Whitley Gilbert
11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm all little late with joining but, I'm joining this one too. :) I joined the boxbraid challenge too so, it will be boxbraids or cornrows only all winter for me. I do however plan to wear my hair out Christmas and my birthday. Then I'm braiding it right back up. Nov 1st is my start day and I posted my routine in my album. Good luck everyone.

speakeasy
11-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm late, but I have finally decided to join this challenge. I will begin on Sunday, November 12th with my first set of twists. Saturdays, I'll wash and stretch out my hair with fat twists. Styled twists will be done on Sunday evenings. I will take down each set on Friday for a twistout, and redo my twists every Sunday. I will end this challenge on March 1st.

fever17
11-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm in. I did twists on Sunday(last week) and will try to keep them until Wenesday(next week), then i'll have a few days of twsitouts, and retwist again.

Habica
11-03-2006, 04:50 PM
After all my stalling, I finnally got my twists done slowly but surely. They aren't micros but more like medium/small twists. I should be good 'til after turkey day. I can't wait for my hair to grow about 3 to four inches longer so that my beads at the nape of my neck will be well hidden by twists or briaids lol.

iscott555
11-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Ok so the extensions are still in...I think the only thing that is keeping them in is the fact that I want to last longer than I did the last time I had extensions. Last time I lasted 5 weeks...so this time I'm going for 6 weeks..I originally wanted to go for 8 weeks but I just know that I will not make it. Plus over thanksgiving we're taking a family photo and I want my own hair when I take that picture.

1ariel
11-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Count me in!!!!!

liberationtheory
11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
i'm still hanging ladies. i still have the box braids in. i think i just finished week 7 of protective styles. for the upcoming week, i'm going to wear a braid out and then back up in twists or box braids.

disciples7
11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
I have been wearing twists for about a month now. I wear them for about a week and then take them out and wash and condition my hair then twist it back up so I hope it's not too late to be counted in on the challenge.

cheetarah19
11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I have been wearing twists for about a month now. I wear them for about a week and then take them out and wash and condition my hair then twist it back up so I hope it's not too late to be counted in on the challenge.
[/b]

Nah!! Of cours it's not too late. Technically speaking, it's not even winter yet. Welcome to the challenge enjoying the journey06.

Well today I hit the three week mark with these braids. I found the motivation to co-wash (used Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner and added baking soda) and set them on perm rods. I was getting bored with the braids so I figured I'd spice things up a bit. Also shrinkage is working my last nerve. I can't even get my braids to stretch into a half ponytail. They just spring right back to their shrunken length. At this rate I'm gonna need 2 feet of hair in order to make any type of updo work. :(

iscott555
11-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Man being pregnant is making my hair grow so fast! I swear I redo a section of braids and the next thing I know I have all this new growth is coming in....I can't wait to put my own hair in twists!

missCONGENIALity
11-05-2006, 08:02 AM
I finally put some box braids in my hair. Hopefully, this will last longer than twists. My ends are kind of shabby. I wanted to wait til December to get a trim, but I think I'll do it today.

iscott555
11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I finally put some box braids in my hair. Hopefully, this will last longer than twists. My ends are kind of shabby. I wanted to wait til December to get a trim, but I think I'll do it today.
[/b]

Are you ends shabby because you need more moisture or because you really need a trim? I have read that sometimes we trim our ends thinking they're damaged when all they really need is some tlc :D

cheetarah19
11-05-2006, 12:27 PM
My braids are now curly and I'm loving them. I got a bunch of compliments on the style when I went to church today. These should last until my next wash, which will be in about a week. I will mist my hair with my homemade leave in spray to keep it moisturized this week. The curls shouldn't fall too much. For the moment, I'm no longer bored with these braids.

Pookster05
11-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I finally put in some finger coils that look descent enough to wear without a headwrap! I am so happy. Say hey! HEY! Say ho! HO! Say hey hey! HEY HEY! Say ho ho! HO HO!

Button2004
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Did my twists today. Didn't do the braids because I really didn't feel like trying to part and do them today. I also dont think my hair is long enough to get the style the way I want it just yet. Pictures are uploaded in my November album. ^_^

Manuela~Simone
11-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Count me in, you guyz!!!

I started last week with box braids, but I couldn't do a whole lot ( like updo's) as much as I can do them with twists (more versatile and stretchy), so Im rocking a 2day old twistout and start twisting some mini's this evening for 3 weeks, take em down, pre-condition, condition and braid them for another 4 weeks ( or fatty's every 2 weeks)

I might put extensions in from December going, till the winter softens up a bit and will end the PSC around March 15.

I'll make an album ASAP, but for the meantime I'll try to post a before (maybe mid pics ) and after pics as soon I have a good Cam in my hands.

Fitness: Start end of this week -> walking,running,cycling and lifting some 3 - 4 times a week

Ms-gg
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm all little late with joining but, I'm joining this one too. :) I joined the boxbraid challenge too so, it will be boxbraids or cornrows only all winter for me. I do however plan to wear my hair out Christmas and my birthday. Then I'm braiding it right back up. Nov 1st is my start day and I posted my routine in my album. Good luck everyone.
[/b]

your braids looks fantabulous....

off topic, but you inspired me to try to stop coloring my hair for a year and see how healthy my hair is in that year....Ive had some sort of color in my hair for almost 6 years now.....not knowing that all the while my hair is probably suffering because of color

lsubabiedee
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
:( I put in some hideous twists on saturday. i wanted to take em out last nite but my bf convinced me to keep them in a ponytail for a few days.

i dont know if imma make it all winter. when does winter start? its warm here all week. :icon_ShiftyEye:

Ms-gg
11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
:( I put in some hideous twists on saturday. i wanted to take em out last nite but my bf convinced me to keep them in a ponytail for a few days.

i dont know if imma make it all winter. when does winter start? its warm here all week. :icon_ShiftyEye:
[/b]

isnt it right before christmas? that always throws me for a loop but I think it is...

Whitley Gilbert
11-06-2006, 09:16 AM
My braids are now curly and I'm loving them. I got a bunch of compliments on the style when I went to church today. These should last until my next wash, which will be in about a week. I will mist my hair with my homemade leave in spray to keep it moisturized this week. The curls shouldn't fall too much. For the moment, I'm no longer bored with these braids.[/b]
What is in your homemade leave-in spray?

your braids looks fantabulous....

off topic, but you inspired me to try to stop coloring my hair for a year and see how healthy my hair is in that year....Ive had some sort of color in my hair for almost 6 years now.....not knowing that all the while my hair is probably suffering because of color[/b]
Thanks and I'm glad it helped some. You know I didn't notice the effects of the color until I stopped dying for a while and compared my new growth to the dyed part. Good luck!

LOL @ it being warm where lsubabiedee is. Let us she your twists in that ponytail. I bet it's cute. ^_^

Curly T
11-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Count me in. I have had braids for 4 weeks and plan to take them out in time for my 1 year nappyversary. Then i will do twists and cornrows until March, when i intend to unleash the fro for my birthday. My plan is to stay away from hair extensions. I pulled a braid out earlier and twisted the hair which was supprisingly long, the twist is just touching my shoulder and the hair is so soft. I think it is because i have been washing the braids once or twice a week and doing regular moisture masks. :wub:

liberationtheory
11-06-2006, 09:45 AM
i'm wearing my hair out right now, but i think it's still protective b/c of no manipulation. i took my box braids down sunday (after 3 weeks), co-washed and have been wearing it as is. i'm going tokeep that up for this week and then put it back in a twisted style on sunday. i'm going to attempt the 3-stranded twists..

lsubabiedee
11-06-2006, 10:03 AM
LOL @ it being warm where lsubabiedee is. Let us she your twists in that ponytail. I bet it's cute. ^_^
[/b]

i might see if i can snap a pic with my phone :unsure: but i will admit, this ponytail/bun thing doesnt look bad at all. i just wonder if i can make it all week with it.

turnergirl
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I am enjoying this challenge. It is great to read other people's stories. Anyway, I am in my original set of twists. My hair is fuzzy and my ends need some TLC. So I will take these down, clarify, DC, henna and flat twist into a cute updo for the week. Next week, I will deep condition twice and do a scalp treatment. Then it will be back to teeny twists until the first week of 2007. All of the above will be posted in my november album.

Chyna Black
11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
So far so good ladies! Thanks for the inspiration, trying to stay focused and keep my hair up in twists. I am determine to create a nice updo so that has been my challenge. This week while stalking La Mrs Sweetness :blush: oops I mean viewing I saw a style I have been trying to copy. So my short term challenge is to wear it for two weeks.

:clap: To all the ladies going strong.....

cheetarah19
11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
What is in your homemade leave-in spray?
[/b]

H20, glycerin, conditioner, and olive oil. Works miracles.

Chyna Black
11-06-2006, 10:19 AM
H20, glycerin, conditioner, and olive oil. Works miracles.
[/b]

Ima try this too! Thanks!!

iscott555
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I never tried homemade leave-ins or spritzes....i think I will make that my new project along with this challenge. How do you come up with a homemade leave-in?

These extensions are driving me crazy but I want to make it to 6 weeks to surpass my 5 week period with the last extensions. I think after these come out I won't be putting extensions in for awhile because I feel like I am completely sick of extensions lol! And everytime I hear someone talk about their twists and updos I'm like "oooh I can't wait to do that stuff with my hair!"

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the challenge! Keep it up ladies we're doing great!

cheetarah19
11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I just started experimenting with stuff until I found something that worked. I even tried mixing melted shea butter with H20. Once the shea butter cooled it hardened and clogged the nozzle of my spray bottle. That one bit the dust pretty quickly. I was diluting my glycerin anyways since I found it to be a bit too heavy. I already left conditioner in my hair and used olive oil for lubrication, so I just threw them in the mix too. It worked wonders and I've been using it ever since. So I would just get to work combining all the things your hair likes. Mix them with water and see what happens.

iscott555
11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
ok thanks cheetarah!!!!

iscott555
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
bump!

lsubabiedee
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
*cough*

i had some technical difficulties today. i had to take my twists out because a lot of them had come undone and wouldnt stay when i retwisted. sooooooo. i'll be putting them back in whenever i wash my hair. and this time, i'll put more effort into it.

MsTee
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, now the "challenge" is starting to rear it's ugly head.

My scalp has been itching like crazy, before I even reach the week/week & a half mark! I have been using the infamous lavender EO spritz that helped in the past, but it's now only temporary. I washed and ACV rinsed my hair not too long ago, and it feels better. I'm just not sure how much longer it's going to last. I think in the future I am going to try a baking soda scrub. I also think I am going to try one of the Qhemet pomades that many of you have said helped cure dry & itchy scalp.

Aside from that though, all is well...fuzziness and all. :wub:

*patiently waiting for my Qhemet sampler package*

iscott555
11-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Ok, now the "challenge" is starting to rear it's ugly head.

My scalp has been itching like crazy, before I even reach the week/week & a half mark! I have been using the infamous lavender EO spritz that helped in the past, but it's now only temporary. I washed and ACV rinsed my hair not too long ago, and it feels better. I'm just not sure how much longer it's going to last. I think in the future I am going to try a baking soda scrub. I also think I am going to try one of the Qhemet pomades that many of you have said helped cure dry & itchy scalp.

Aside from that though, all is well...fuzziness and all. :wub:

*patiently waiting for my Qhemet sampler package*
[/b]

Have you ever tried washing your hair while the twists are still in? I did that when I first did a protective style challenge. I kept the same twists in for a whole month but I just washed them whenever I felt the itchies coming on and just refreshed the edges because they got super fuzzy....it really helped keep my scalp clean and also made things easier because I didn't have to take down my whole head

turnergirl
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I finally took my twists down and washed my hair for the first time in 6 weeks. Gross I know but I refuse to rinse my twists in anyway. I will have matted and locked hair and that is not worth it. I had been cleansing with sea breeze and keeping product off my scalp. Anyway, I was delighted to see that most of the hair was shedding and not breakage. I pre-pooed with a warm aloe vera cholestorol, then I clarified with the ever so harsh suave clarifying shampoo and deep conditioned with VO5 Milk Moisture mixed with honey and olive oil. My hair felt heavenly. I am in a bun today but this after noon, I am doing henna and some scalp oiling.
Thursday a twist updo goes in for the week. I will then deep condition again and retwist.

I'm doing it. Almost 4 years of napps and virtually no protective styles or challenges. I am about to roll through the winter like it is nothing. Thanks ladies hearing your progress keeps me going.

Disclaimer. Be very very very very careful with that Suave clarifying shampoo. It is serious. I pre pood because I knew it would be no joke and I was right. There was nothing left on my hair. It was soft because I let moisture soak into my strands before. I know the word is out about this but just in case anyone pics it up. Guard your grill.

dsg-girly&curly
11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Fantastic!!! This sounds like what I should be doing! I hope it's not too late to be a part of this PSC. For me it'll be two-strand twists for the duration. My plan is to keep each two-strand set in for two weeks, weekly condition and bi-weekly deep condition/clarify. I'll continue spritzing with water and olive oil and applying some type of butter or light oil on my ends before I wrap up and go to bed at night.

iscott555
11-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Fantastic!!! This sounds like what I should be doing! I hope it's not too late to be a part of this PSC. For me it'll be two-strand twists for the duration. My plan is to keep each two-strand set in for two weeks, weekly condition and bi-weekly deep condition/clarify. I'll continue spritzing with water and olive oil and applying some type of butter or light oil on my ends before I wrap up and go to bed at night.
[/b]

It's never too late! winter technically hasn't even started so you are actually ahead of the game :D

Sykee
11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm in! Washed with Anita Grant shampoo bar, conditioned with Aubrey organics GPB (Omg, the best thing ever! Sorry Shulta...) and used refined shea butter and ORS loc and twist gel to do some medium sized twists all over my head. Sooooo out of practice, but I did it. Let's do this! Gonna be my first run of rinsing twists (I now play Capoeira once a week) so lets see how it goes. x

NappyAnnie
11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't tend to wash my hair much when I am doing a protective style. I mostly clean my scalp when needed with witch hazel. I have been in a protective style since April 2006 and I am still going strong. I retwist my hair (around the edges) every 2 weeks. I redo them to avoid locking and matting of the lint mixed tangled with my hair.

MsTee
11-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Have you ever tried washing your hair while the twists are still in? I did that when I first did a protective style challenge. I kept the same twists in for a whole month but I just washed them whenever I felt the itchies coming on and just refreshed the edges because they got super fuzzy....it really helped keep my scalp clean and also made things easier because I didn't have to take down my whole head
[/b]

No I haven't...I'm afraid that my hair will get massively tangled! I don't mind taking my twists down...it's just the itching that's getting on my nerves!

CoutureKitty
11-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I guess I'm already in. I've been getting my synthetic cornrows done for about the last 4 weeks. I just need to keep up that moisturixing cause the first time I put in braids my scalp might as well have peeled off!

cheetarah19
11-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Coming to the end of the fourth day of curly braids. I think today was my favorite day thus far. The curls are still in tact (except for several that I had to reset for a couple hours today) and are falling nicely. Today was the first time I showered without a shower cap and I really think the steam gave the style a great shape. These will definitely last until Saturday. Then I'll wash again and either where the braids straight or set them in cornrows for a wavy look. We'll see what happens. I'll keep taking pics of this style through the week to document how it holds up.

hammie
11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm in! Yay, my first challenge. ^_^

I put in some medium twists on Monday, I guess I'll take them down, wash, and re-do them around next Monday (I can't wash my hair with my twists in or the ends will tangle and lock).

I bought some African Royale BRX Braid and Extensions Sheen Spray (lol at the name) with tea-tree Oil for "extra anti-itch power" on a nostalgic whim, but it hasn't really done much for the itchies.

I recently found some pure tea-tree oil, though, I think it may work to keep my scalp from itching in twists, but not sure what concentration to use directly on the scalp (allergies and sensitive skin)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. :)

cheetarah19
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Hammie,
You may have a sensitive scalp and wearing twists might make it worse. I suggest keeping the base of your twists loose in order to prevent any unnecessary pulling or strain. That should cut down on the itching.

hammie
11-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Hmm...the roots are pretty loose because I don't twist tightly (or well, lol), but I will definitely take your advice and make sure my friend who is going to retwist them doesn't do it tightly...

Thank you for your response! :)

Hammie,
You may have a sensitive scalp and wearing twists might make it worse. I suggest keeping the base of your twists loose in order to prevent any unnecessary pulling or strain. That should cut down on the itching.
[/b]

iscott555
11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Well hammie maybe you need to use something else if you feel it might irritate your scalp...sometimes things that are made for anti-itching tend to make my head itch even more :lol:

iscott555
11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Ok ladies the extensions are coming out tomorrow yay! We are taking pictures tomorrow and after that I am taking out the extensions. I really didn't want to keep them in for the pictures, but the SO asked me to so I said yes...now if we end up NOT taking pictures tomorrow then he is just SOL because these bad boys are coming down no matter what! I miss my hair and cannot wait to do some twist styles with my own hair...I hope the challenge is going well for you ladies!

lsubabiedee
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
:) im still in i think. after i took my twists down, i did a deep conditioning and put my hair in a bun. it stayed in a bun until yesterday when i deep conditioned again (dont ask) and i put my hair in 8 twists and then pulled them into 2 buns.

Ms-gg
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
daggit! This frizz kills me! I bet when my hair gets longer I will be able to keep my braids/twists in longer....did this happen to any of you?

hammie
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes, I think you are right, I will stop using the African Royale (I only bought it cause I knew I would be wearing twists most of this winter and said what the hell, it only costs 3 buck).

I found a spritz recipe for the tea-tree oil, I'll wait til the day before I wash my hair to use it though (in case I have a bad reaction).

Thank you for your response! :)

Well hammie maybe you need to use something else if you feel it might irritate your scalp...sometimes things that are made for anti-itching tend to make my head itch even more :lol:
[/b]

daggit! This frizz kills me! I bet when my hair gets longer I will be able to keep my braids/twists in longer....did this happen to any of you?
[/b]

My twists usually frizz up almost immediately, but I like the frizzy look personally. :)

cheetarah19
11-10-2006, 11:20 PM
The curls are gone. Tonight, I co-washed with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner + baking soda and moisturized my hair well. I had to redo some of the braids around my temples. The hair is very short there and the braids had come loose. If I had done larger braids I probably would have caught those hairs in a longer braid, but I didn't want the parts to be off. So I have a bunch of short baby braids along my front hair line.

AKALDH
11-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm in. I have been wearing my hair in two strand twists. Cowashing and retwisting every Sunday afternoon.

naturalnyc
11-11-2006, 11:48 AM
today marks end of week 3 with my current twist. gonna wash /condition and freshen up the fuzzies parts later. Got another week to go before I remove them and start from scratch.

MsTee
11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
This is week 2 for me. For some reason, I really don't like the flat twists I put in the front. I think I'm about to take them out and put that part of my hair in twists as well. I am feening for my Qhemet sampler package...I can't wait to experiment with it!

Oh, and the itchy scalp has died down. :)

rachelnatalie
11-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm in. For real this time. I think in the winter and cold months it is easier for me to leave my hair in a protective style. So I'm in.

I put my hair in two strand twists last Sunday (no extensions) and I want to keep them in until New Year's... just shampooing the scalp and hair when necessary, doing hot oil treatments when necessary, and of course keeping it moisturized (and just redoing whichever twist comes undone, but no combing until New Year's).

I'm in!

lsubabiedee
11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
i still got my hair in buns. i did go from 8 twists to 2 tho.

ChelWren
11-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi ladies! I am about to join the protective style challenge and I will be wearing my signature winter style...twists of course. I wanted to do something a little different and braid the top of my hair since I can't do flat twists. My album and password are in my sig so you can see what my hair looks like.

Questions:
1. I was wondering how do most of you ladies do your twists? Do you just grab and go? I want to do small twists but I feel like it's going to take forever.

2. Also, what products do you ladies use on your hair to get your twists to stay?

Kat Nappydeen
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Questions:
1. I was wondering how do most of you ladies do your twists? Do you just grab and go? I want to do small twists but I feel like it's going to take forever.

2. Also, what products do you ladies use on your hair to get your twists to stay?
[/b]

Yes I just grab and go. With my hand, you wouldn't be able to tell that it was parted anyway. I do use a light gel (aloe vera, qhem's hair tea gel, oyin's style and define), but I do that mainly to achieve some shine. My hair would stay without the gel.

iscott555
11-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm very much a grab and go person....I will part a row in my head and then just grab and go from there...in the beginning I used to part but as my hair got fuller and stuff I was like pshhhh forget that :lol: I don't use anything in my hair but moisturizer and my twists tend to hold up pretty well

Well ladies my extensions are GONE!!!! I took those bad boys out last night and I am about to put some twists in after I post this reply. I plan on leaving theses in for the week and then I will probably do a twistout because the SO and I are taking pics next weekend because this weekend it wasn't happening so we're both going to wear twistouts...his hair looks so good I get jealous sometimes because his hair holds twists like nobody's business and his twistouts (all done by me) look great! I'm like how come I don't get the same results?! :unsure:

Anywhoo...I'm glad the challenge is going well....and don't worry about frizz...I learned to accept it and once I did that I ended up loving it :lol: I will post pics either tonight or tomorrow

lsubabiedee
11-12-2006, 03:54 PM
i grab and twist too. the only parting that is done is on the row on my edges. and i dont use any product when i twist. after a few days i might add something tho.

cheetarah19
11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
For braids, I part, but for twists I just grab and twist. Unless I do larger twists, then I'll be sure to part, because the parts are more noticeable. Parting or no parting, it still takes me forever to do my hair.

ChelWren
11-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the help ladies. How can I get a nice shine? Thanks.

Chelci

iscott555
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey ladies! Ok so i have updated my album and I put hair in twists and then I curled those twists with sponge and rod rollers...I hope everyone is doing fine

gilroygal
11-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I am going to try this challenge. What I will do is try to wear my twists for two weeks, take them down completely, then deep condition and retwist. Rinsing twists is a no-no for my hair type. I am on day two of my twsis. By day three, they are usually coming down because of itchies. It's not so bad right now, and it helps not having to pick it every day. I want to retain length, and I feel that this will help. I am in a place where they don't sweat my hair so much, so I am hoping to get by with what I am doing.

gilroygal
11-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Can't do it!! Itchy and smelly scalp!! I can only go three days tops. Gotta let this one go!!

GalaxyGirl2012
11-14-2006, 06:08 PM
i might actually be able to do this! I put in box braids a week and a half ago and they are still going strong. i've been daily no pooing and plan to keep these in for another 3 weeks.

i used to be a twist girl, now i see the allure of boxed braids!!

iscott555
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Can't do it!! Itchy and smelly scalp!! I can only go three days tops. Gotta let this one go!!
[/b]

:lol: you are too funny!!! It's ok....three days at a time is better than daily manipulation :D

hammie
11-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Just washed and detangled my week and 1 day old twists. Did a deep conditioner after taking them out, but all in all it was a piece of cake and detangling later was sooo easy. :)
Put in 4 big plaits to sleep in, tomorrow my best friend is gonna re-twist them to start Week 2. :)

Gonna make a test recipe of tea-tree oil spritz for the itchies.

whatawhat
11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Can someone give me some info on the protective style challenge? It seems like I need to do it.

Every winter the back of my hair falls out. It's a big row and it's obvious. Right now a little patch in the back of my hair is out. I don't think I can do twist because my hair is in shambles. I don't know. Maybe I can. When I keep my hair twisted, it falls out. Like if I keep the twists in for two weeks, when I shampoo my hair, a lot of hair comes out. That happened one year and it looked like roaches in the tub. It was that much hair. The lady made me cut my hair off and I didn't like.

Since then, I've been letting it grow. I've been natural for almost 6 years and my hair literally in the longes spot (by my ears) is 2 inches. (I just measured) It's thick and dry. I don't know what to do with my hair. I see suggestions and I don't know where to begin. Maybe this protective style challenge is what I need.

Again, what do I need to do for this challenge? I'm willing to try anything. Anything is better than this. If it doesn't work, it won't be the first time I cut my hair off. Are braids allowed or just twists? Right now my hair is a dry, thick, matted, afro. Please help me!!! :crying:

cheetarah19
11-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Can someone give me some info on the protective style challenge? It seems like I need to do it.

Every winter the back of my hair falls out. It's a big row and it's obvious. Right now a little patch in the back of my hair is out. I don't think I can do twist because my hair is in shambles. I don't know. Maybe I can. When I keep my hair twisted, it falls out. Like if I keep the twists in for two weeks, when I shampoo my hair, a lot of hair comes out. That happened one year and it looked like roaches in the tub. It was that much hair. The lady made me cut my hair off and I didn't like.

Since then, I've been letting it grow. I've been natural for almost 6 years and my hair literally in the longes spot (by my ears) is 2 inches. (I just measured) It's thick and dry. I don't know what to do with my hair. I see suggestions and I don't know where to begin. Maybe this protective style challenge is what I need.

Again, what do I need to do for this challenge? I'm willing to try anything. Anything is better than this. If it doesn't work, it won't be the first time I cut my hair off. Are braids allowed or just twists? Right now my hair is a dry, thick, matted, afro. Please help me!!! :crying:
[/b]
:hug: There, there....dearheart, we can help. Sounds like your hair needs moisture, STAT. The best moisturizer for your hair/body/skin is WATER!! Yep, you heard me, WATER. Oils, pomades, grease...none of these moisturize your hair, they only lubricate or seal in moisture. I suggest giving your hair a GOOD long deep conditioning treatment with a heavy conditioner mixed with some coconut or olive oil. Then I'd wash with a NON-SULFATE shampoo or a light conditioner mixed with a bit of baking soda. Once that's done, take a dollop of conditioner and work it through your damp hair. Seal in the moisture with an oil or butter (whatever works better for your hair).

As for the amount of hair you loose when you keep twists for two weeks....you might be worried over what is normal shedding. If your hair is in twists for 2 weeks, that means you're not combing it for 2 weeks, so all that shed hair is just coming out at one time. It looks like a lot, but when you think of it, it's just cumulative over 14 days. 50-100 strands per day (normal shedding) X 14 days = a whole lot of hair.

With this challenge braids are more than welcome. So are two strand twists, bantu knots, coils...any style that keeps your ends protected and doesn't require daily maintenance. The longer you can go without touching your hair the better. Less manipulation means less breakage which means better length retention. Hope this advice helps and welcome to the challenge!

shondapoof
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
This sounds like something that I should be doing--- not much winter weather down here tho, tho we do get our occasional cool fronts... who knows what this season holds. I'm gonna do it anyway.

Let me get this right, the goal is to keep your hair protected by not wearing it out like in a puff or just lettin it go? You can change your styles regularly as long as it not just out right? And of course the usual maintenance. If this is the case, I'm in... starting tomorrow.

whatawhat
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks! I'm in. I'm going to get some baking soda tomorrow so I can do my hair tomorrow. I can't wait to do my hair done. I'm so excited.

iscott555
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
@ whatawhat - cheetarah gave you great advice..I think this challenge will benefit you and your hair very well...thanks for joining

@shondapoof- the goal is to keep your hair in a protected style (i.e. twists, braids, etc) as to avoid daily manipulation....so welcome to the challenge!!!

Ok ladies I'm very much enjoying my twists...I am so glad those extensions are gone! I love my napps so much! I think I am just going to boycott extensions for about 6 months or more...maybe then I will miss them and keep them in longer....but right now I'm in a serious love affair with my napps :lol:

whatawhat
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM
:hug: There, there....dearheart, we can help. Sounds like your hair needs moisture, STAT. The best moisturizer for your hair/body/skin is WATER!! Yep, you heard me, WATER. Oils, pomades, grease...none of these moisturize your hair, they only lubricate or seal in moisture. I suggest giving your hair a GOOD long deep conditioning treatment with a heavy conditioner mixed with some coconut or olive oil. Then I'd wash with a NON-SULFATE shampoo or a light conditioner mixed with a bit of baking soda. Once that's done, take a dollop of conditioner and work it through your damp hair. Seal in the moisture with an oil or butter (whatever works better for your hair).

As for the amount of hair you loose when you keep twists for two weeks....you might be worried over what is normal shedding. If your hair is in twists for 2 weeks, that means you're not combing it for 2 weeks, so all that shed hair is just coming out at one time. It looks like a lot, but when you think of it, it's just cumulative over 14 days. 50-100 strands per day (normal shedding) X 14 days = a whole lot of hair.

With this challenge braids are more than welcome. So are two strand twists, bantu knots, coils...any style that keeps your ends protected and doesn't require daily maintenance. The longer you can go without touching your hair the better. Less manipulation means less breakage which means better length retention. Hope this advice helps and welcome to the challenge!
[/b]

I do have some questions to clarify. When I mix the heavy conditioner with olive oil, is that before I shampoo my hair? Do I mix the shampoo and baking soda or is the baking soda just for the conditioner? When I put the final conditioner on, do I rinse it out? When you say seal in the moisture with an oil is that like hair grease or another type of oil on my hair?

Just wanted to clarify some stuff because I'm determined to get my hair together. I'm really excited. Thanks so much cheetarah19!!!! :D

cheetarah19
11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I do have some questions to clarify. When I mix the heavy conditioner with olive oil, is that before I shampoo my hair? Do I mix the shampoo and baking soda or is the baking soda just for the conditioner? When I put the final conditioner on, do I rinse it out? When you say seal in the moisture with an oil is that like hair grease or another type of oil on my hair?

Just wanted to clarify some stuff because I'm determined to get my hair together. I'm really excited. Thanks so much cheetarah19!!!! :D
[/b]

Let's see, let's see. You can either pre condition before you wash, or deep condition afterwards. It's up to you. I think for your hair it would be a good idea to deep condition BEFORE you wash. So mix the heavy conditioner with the oil and put it on dry or damp hair (you can use a spray bottle to get your hair damp). Either shampoo your hair OR co-wash with a light conditioner mixed with baking soda. Don't mix the baking soda with the shampoo. If you do shampoo your hair make sure it does not contain any sulfates. I use Cream of Nature shampoo for extra dry hair. It's excellent. When you're finished washing your hair work a quarter size drop of conditioner through your napps concentrating on the ends. DON'T rinse it out. To seal in the moisture I wouldn't use hair grease. They tend to be petroleum based and petroleum is usually too heavy and drying for nappy hair. I suggest using either coconut oil, olive oil, or another pure essential oil (jojoba, rosemary, etc.). If oils don't work well for your hair use a water based hair butter or melt some shea butter and work it through your hair. PICK ONE of these options, not all of them. Less is more when it comes to product usage. Hope this helps.

iscott555
11-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok ladies are there any other things that you would like to accomplish with this challenge? Since I will not be manipulating hair on a daily basis, I would like to try to make some homemade shampoos, conditioners, etc. What about you ladies? any other goals?

embracin_myself
11-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I am in... I plan to braid my hair this friday. I will keep it in for 8 weeks. That should be January 13. I will then do 2 strand twist of my real for 2 weeks. Then back to braid for 2 months. I will do this process until July 2007. God Willing

whatawhat
11-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Let's see, let's see. You can either pre condition before you wash, or deep condition afterwards. It's up to you. I think for your hair it would be a good idea to deep condition BEFORE you wash. So mix the heavy conditioner with the oil and put it on dry or damp hair (you can use a spray bottle to get your hair damp). Either shampoo your hair OR co-wash with a light conditioner mixed with baking soda. Don't mix the baking soda with the shampoo. If you do shampoo your hair make sure it does not contain any sulfates. I use Cream of Nature shampoo for extra dry hair. It's excellent. When you're finished washing your hair work a quarter size drop of conditioner through your napps concentrating on the ends. DON'T rinse it out. To seal in the moisture I wouldn't use hair grease. They tend to be petroleum based and petroleum is usually too heavy and drying for nappy hair. I suggest using either coconut oil, olive oil, or another pure essential oil (jojoba, rosemary, etc.). If oils don't work well for your hair use a water based hair butter or melt some shea butter and work it through your hair. PICK ONE of these options, not all of them. Less is more when it comes to product usage. Hope this helps.
[/b]

Thank you so much! I took off tomorrow so I can do my hair. I can't wait. I'll let you know how it turns out! :D

hammie
11-16-2006, 04:16 PM
My only goal is to stop having to mess in my hair everyday. :) And to be able to wear cute hats. :lol:

I'm usually soo lazy about twisting (I miss my wash-n-go, stoopid Philly winter weather), so another goal I guess is to streamline the process so it's something I won't dread doing.

Ok ladies are there any other things that you would like to accomplish with this challenge? Since I will not be manipulating hair on a daily basis, I would like to try to make some homemade shampoos, conditioners, etc. What about you ladies? any other goals?
[/b]

QueenScorpio
11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm in, I'm getting my hair braided this saturday to stay away from it for a while...give it a rest, I'll keep the braids for about a month-2 months depending on how it feels so I might as well join the bandwagon :)

Pookster05
11-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I took down my finger coils Tuesday after almost two weeks and today I put some cornrows in the front and two strand twists in the back. I was wondering what is a good moisturizer for the winter months b/c I am having such difficulty with dryness! Someone please help me!

Sykee
11-17-2006, 06:26 AM
you know, i've had my twists in for nearly two weeks. i got the stanky stage when i normally take them down (about one week) and then within a day the smell vanished and they felt normal again. what's that about...?

Ms-gg
11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
I thought I dropped out of the challenge but I trimmed my ends of almost all my knot balls and slathered conditioner on my head and woke up with more knot balls :( dangit! Im not really feeling my twists at this length so I was going to ride it out for a few months but I guess Im in again :) ;)

dljordansc
11-17-2006, 05:11 PM
can someone please explain co-wash???? :unsure:

hammie
11-17-2006, 07:41 PM
can someone please explain co-wash???? :unsure:
[/b]

Co-washing is using the mild detergent contained in certain conditioners (those with water-solube silicones, such as Suave Naturals and VO5) to wash one's hair and scalp, with the aid of an occasional additional clarifier (for any build-up that the conditioner cannot wash away), such a baking soda solution or apple cider vinegar rinse.

This thread is very informative:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=76034&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76034&hl=nopoo)

Personally, I'm a low-pooer. For me that means I use diluted shampoo that is nappy friendly ('Creme of Nature', the one with the yellow cap for 'extra damaged' hair) and also the occasional 'bad' silicone (in my conditioner). See these threads for reasons some folks here do or do not co-wash:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=68617&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68617&hl=nopoo)

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=82342&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82342&hl=nopoo)

Hope that helps! :)

iscott555
11-17-2006, 08:53 PM
ms-gg...what kind of conditoner are you using in your hair? Also How are you twisting your hair? I don't know what normall causes knot balls but don't clip them because sometimes it can be a moisturizing problem....sometimes if you overcondition that can have a negative effect on your hair....I hope everything gets better

As for me I have had these twists in for about a week and tomorrow I am doing a twistout for the pictures and sunday the twists will be in for about a month at a time

dreamchaser
11-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I would like to join this challenge. My mom is braiding my hair for me. It won't be finished until tomorrow though. She needs a break from my thick mane she says lol. But I'll be joining after tomorrow. Hopefully this will help my hair. I'm looking forward to seeing results.

dljordansc
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Co-washing is using the mild detergent contained in certain conditioners (those with water-solube silicones, such as Suave Naturals and VO5) to wash one's hair and scalp, with the aid of an occasional additional clarifier (for any build-up that the conditioner cannot wash away), such a baking soda solution or apple cider vinegar rinse.

This thread is very informative:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=76034&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76034&hl=nopoo)

Personally, I'm a low-pooer. For me that means I use diluted shampoo that is nappy friendly ('Creme of Nature', the one with the yellow cap for 'extra damaged' hair) and also the occasional 'bad' silicone (in my conditioner). See these threads for reasons some folks here do or do not co-wash:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=68617&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68617&hl=nopoo)

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=82342&hl=nopoo (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82342&hl=nopoo)

Hope that helps! :)
[/b]

Thank you :D especially for pulling up the old threads...even though I've been a member for 2 years...I still have trouble navigating through here :unsure: :D

Jazitones
11-18-2006, 09:43 AM
so who's in????
[/b]

I'm in! Just started mine :D

4real
11-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I have been wearing yarn twists since the first week of november. I'm trying to decide between leaving them in for the rest of the month or till we get out for Christmas break. and after that no extensions for the rest of the challenge.

missjade
11-18-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm in. I'm wearing cornrows under a wig. I'll keep the cornrows in for a month. My next step will probably be kinky twists extensions around Christmastime.

iscott555
11-19-2006, 01:07 AM
updates ladies updates!!!

MsTee
11-19-2006, 11:52 AM
I put new twists in on Wednesday night with my sample of Qhemet's Heavy Cream...I LOVE the results! Since I only work Monday & Tuesday of next week (a teacher's schedule is the best at times), I think I am going to separate my twists and make each strand into smaller ones as my Thanksgiving hair do.

I am just amazed at how much my hair shrinks! I'll have to do a comparison shot in my next Fotki update.

iscott555
11-19-2006, 12:02 PM
shrinkage is a funny thing ms.tee!!!!!

As for me I concocted a hair clarifier...I'll let you ladies know how well it went in a week or so after seeing how my hair feels.....so far my hair feels great! I have my hair in two big braids right now so it can dry and I will twist it up tonight and leave these in for about 1 month. I'm going to try to keep my hands out of my hair for as long as possible...which is the real challenge for me because I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE my naps! I could run my fingers through my hair all day long :lol: I also updated my fotki with pics of my twist out....the last one for a long time *sniff* but it'll all be worth it come spring!

MsTee
11-19-2006, 12:06 PM
^^^Share the recipe!

QueenScorpio
11-19-2006, 01:24 PM
My braids are in and they won't come out until the end of December-early January so hope it goes well :)

Napia Mia
11-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I put new twists in on Wednesday night with my sample of Qhemet's Heavy Cream...I LOVE the results! Since I only work Monday & Tuesday of next week (a teacher's schedule is the best at times), I think I am going to separate my twists and make each strand into smaller ones as my Thanksgiving hair do.

I am just amazed at how much my hair shrinks! I'll have to do a comparison shot in my next Fotki update.
[/b]

Just peeked at your album...you have beautiful hair. :wub: Your braces are cute too!

NaturalSweetpee
11-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah! I was looking for something like this...I'm also in the three month challenge. These are my first two challenges ever, so I'm hoping to suprise myself. My plans are to wear twists for 3 days, and redo my twists on the 5th or 6th day, while rinsing in between. I will also deep condition every two weeks. I'm hoping for some healthy growth. I'm going more for healthiness than length. I will also try the baggie method every night starting on the 2nd night of having twists in my hair. I'm hoping to post before and after pictures...and at least 1-2 pics/month.

iscott555
11-19-2006, 02:40 PM
^^^Share the recipe!
[/b]

I will once I make sure it's something worth doing....I don't want to share something and then it turns out not to be good :lol:

hey nappyhappyme...you in? yay!

MsTee
11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Just peeked at your album...you have beautiful hair. :wub: Your braces are cute too!
[/b]

Thank you Nappyme! :blush:

bluerain
11-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Count me in on this challenge. I'm going to most likely get some braided extensions early December (even though most people don't see why I cut my hair off just to add hair to it). I did my bc in August so I still have a twa. My choice will be between short twists or braids both will be with extensions.

lsubabiedee
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
so the flipflopper came back to say that i've mostly been keeping my hair in one or 2 braids for the past week or so.

:P

eri
11-20-2006, 10:33 AM
so the flipflopper came back to say that i've mostly been keeping my hair in one or 2 braids for the past week or so.

:P
[/b]
welcome back, flippy! :)
as for me, i'm still in my fuzzy cornrows. i can't believe tomorrow will be three weeks! i'll wash and deep condish tonight and prob wear my hair out for the holiday then get my sis to box braid it while i am home.

Sykee
11-20-2006, 10:39 AM
gonna take down and wash tonight after capoeira,braid over night and put in twists tomorrow. its been two weeks, wish me luck...

SoSoul
11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
ooooooh oh oh oh! i have to post some pics of some of the styles i have been wearing during this great challenge. i love it. i am having so much fun. hehehehe

iscott555
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
yes these challenges are fun!! I am very surprised at how my hair has grown! I even trimmed it a little bit too much and it has grown back very nicely! I am overly excited! I guess my little girl is working her magic on my hair I cannot wait until Spring when I will have a new baby and hopefully a lot of new growth!!!