PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair Trauma!

DivineNapps1728
10-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Ever since I went natural my friend has been attempting to persuade me to get a perm, but a few days ago she kept bringing up how she wanted to straighten my tresses. I thought it was just her being silly cause she knows how much I'm enjoying my coils, but before I knew it she'd attacked my head with burning hot f.lat irons!!!! :(

As soon as she did it I freaked out washed my hair to retrieve my curls, but it's been about two days and nothing I've tried will remove the awkward straightness all over especially in the back of my head :Angry:

Please offer suggestions, I really want my hair back to normal

frontRHOcenter
10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
If your hair is burned straight and does not revert back, I don't believe this is reversible. Hopefully, one of the veteran nappies can provide some solutions.

DivineNapps1728
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
If your hair is burned straight and does not revert back, I don't believe this is reversible. Hopefully, one of the veteran nappies can provide some solutions.
[/b]

It's not burned straight at all, but I have alot of random sections of hair that have a much looser curl than others and in those sections my coils aren't forming correctly...my hair almost looks "stretched" in some portions :(

NyckeiXXIV
10-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Okay... Imma be real with you.
Some folks are gonna tell you to keep washing it and it will go back. But I believe the MAJORITY of folks here, myself included, are going to tell you to cut your losses... literally. These sections of your hair have been burnt straight and the likelyhood of them ever going 100% back to the way they were prior to her assault with the flat i.rons is slim. We have a heat archive here at Nappturality and there you will find MULTIPLE stories who gambled with heat and lost.
Chin up, but face the reality that you may have to cut.

Peace,
Nyckei

JustKei
10-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Did she do your entire head?

Ms-gg
10-28-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah, sorry sweety but I checked out the heat archive at the top that is stickied and hair that is damaged has to be cut...because essentially, that is what has happened to your hair...I would kick my friend's *** though....forreal...

DivineNapps1728
10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Thank you all for your help...
I'm praying iss jus acting up because I've been using styling products so it can look put together for work and no real damage has been done

JustAnotherNappyGirl
10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I hate to send you to the heat archive (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53) 'cause it's the last thing you want to hear right about now, but many of the stories are exactly like yours. It's possible to damage your hair with heat to the point that your natural curl is permanently gone. I don't know how long it's been, but you can try washing and conditioning, and give it time to see if your hair will recover. But if not, the damage may be irreversible. In that case, you'd need to trim away the heat-straightened areas and let it grow out again. Sorry!

DivineNapps1728
10-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Did she do your entire head?
[/b]

She got thru most of it... :(

yeah, sorry sweety but I checked out the heat archive at the top that is stickied and hair that is damaged has to be cut...because essentially, that is what has happened to your hair...I would kick my friend's *** though....forreal...
[/b]

If my hair is damaged she'll get a whole lot more than just a peace of my mind!!! I could kick myself though for trying to appease her in the first place

Napia Mia
10-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I'ma have to apologize up front for what I'm about to say. Mainly because I'm having a really hard time visualizing this alleged attack. Just exactly how did this "attack" happen? I'm actually smirking as I type this. Did she tie you to a chair or something?

Of course you owe no explanation to anyone but wow...attacked you? Your whole head? :unsure:

Ok, I&#39;ve stopped smirking now...almost. <_< The last time I had my hair professionally straightened was like last September (as in 2005) or so. Bone straight. I wore it like that for two weeks using a curling iron on it every day. When I shampooed, I had hair that was very resistant and didn&#39;t want to nap up. It still had texture to it so I was hopeful. That was on top of hair that had I had damaged that was permanently burned straight earlier in the year.

That was the last time I actually used any kind of heat on my hair. I was lucky because, in time my nap pattern did restore itself. I guess it was just traumatized. The rest of my heat damaged hair, the parts that were burned straight, I ended up just cutting out. Thank goodness nappy hair hides this well cause I have a couple of spots on my head with hair that&#39;s like eight inches long and the rest is between 11-13 inches in length.

Only time will tell if your hair can recover on its own or is damaged beyond repair. In the meantime, there&#39;s nothing you can do...that I can think of that can speed up any recovery.

Good luck. And if I were you...I&#39;d stay away from crazed friends who attack nappy folks with hot f.lat irons.
Are you sure you&#39;re not dreaming this? Nappyme shakes Devinenapps in an attempt to wake her up at her computer..."Wake up Devinenapps...it&#39;s all a dream!"

mehogeni
10-28-2006, 10:33 PM
actually i relapsed about 2 years ago and got my hair straightened and my hair had a looser curl actually for about 2-3 months, i didnt cut my losses, but slowly it reverted back...your hair may not be completely damaged just it can just stay straightend longer under heat, aka what the older ladies used to say "can be trained"

DivineNapps1728
10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I&#39;ma have to apologize up front for what I&#39;m about to say. Mainly because I&#39;m having a really hard time visualizing this alleged attack. Just exactly how did this "attack" happen? I&#39;m actually smirking as I type this. Did she tie you to a chair or something?[/b]

LoL...I wasn&#39;t tied to a chair, initially I was writing a paper and she was doing her hair. She asked if she could oil my scalp and since I&#39;m all for scalp massages I said fine. Now somewhere in between oiling my scalp and combing out my hair she got in the flat irons and completed the back boefore I even started paying attention then thru a piece in the middle and a part on the side because she actually grabbed a handful and put the heat thru before I stole the flat irons and my head back. Normally the ceramic smell of the irons would have tipped me off, but she&#39;d been using them already

Imma get ready for bed...but I&#39;ll keep yall posted. Thanks again for the feedback

Hamira
10-28-2006, 10:40 PM
LoL...I wasn&#39;t tied to a chair, initially I was writing a paper and she was doing her hair. She asked if she could oil my scalp and since I&#39;m all for scalp massages I said fine. Now somewhere in between oiling my scalp and combing out my hair she got in the flat irons and completed the back boefore I even started paying attention then thru a piece in the middle and a part on the side because she actually grabbed a handful and put the heat thru before I stole the flat irons and my head back. Normally the ceramic smell of the irons would have tipped me off, but she&#39;d been using them already
Imma get ready for bed...but I&#39;ll keep yall posted. Thanks again for the feedback
[/b]
:huh:

deecoily
10-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Girl, you&#39;ve been here since... oh OK, only since October 11th. :lol:

You friend has just burned your hair up and it is damaged. People will tell you "use this conditioner and use that conditioner" but believe me, it won&#39;t work. It may cover the damage and stop breakage long enough for you to cut it eventually but it won&#39;t fix it. Once the bonds are broken in your hair they are broken permanently and there is nothing you can do except cut it off.

With relaxed hair, it&#39;s already damaged and breaking off anyway so you don&#39;t notice how the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture compounds the damage.

WIth natural hair, you see the damage *instantly* I mean, if you could smell it burning, it was BURNING!

If your hair doesn&#39;t fully revert back after a good wash and condition, its history. Sorry :(

~Dee~