PDA

View Full Version : HELP, should I color my Bradelocz?

Aswadah
02-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Peace Sistahs,

I have just begun my journey toward lockdom and am very excited. I finished braiding my hair on Feb.1. My braids are very small, but fairly tightly (not too tight Cherie 8) )done. I followed the instructions in Cherie's Bradelocs guide to insure my loc foundation was large enough to support a growing loc over the years. Okay, enough rambling, here's where I need you ladies help:

My hair is a brownish color that I hate. It turned that way over the years and looks really dingy and dusty to me. I want my locs to be dark and rich looking, so I'd like to color my hair Jet Black or Blue Black for some added depth & flair. I don't think my hair will unravel much, I washed it last night after I braided it and it was fine...just curly ends. However, I am concerned about whether or not the color would damage my hair, change its texture, impede the locking process, cause breakage, etc....

My hair is very soft and wavy and in the past has not taken color well. It just didn't color the last few times I've tried. I really want my hair intensely dark though, but I'm scared to try again. I did notice my texture changed when I'd tried to color in the past and it got straighter and kinda weak. I ended up :cen all the color treated hair off and starting over cause I couldn't get decent puffs or twists. I've tried henna with no success in the past. I am tempted to try to color with strong Black coffee (I heard it works well), although that's only a temporary tint. I need your help please. I've purchased two different hair coloring products, but am reluctant to use either of them. They are: Clairol Textures & Tones (Silken Black) (box Mix) and the other is L'Oreal Preference Mega Cools (Onyx Sheen)(Color & Developer in 2 bottles to be mixed). This one is the Blue Black. They are both permanant color formulas. I prefer to stay natural with no chemicals at all, hence the coffee for color, henna(agian), or indigo powder. But if the product color won't harm my hair, I may be willing to try them.

What do ya'll think I should do? I'm nervous. Please forgive my rambling, but I felt I had to include every detail.

Thanx in advance.

Aswadah :rainfro

QueenLena03
02-03-2004, 03:23 AM
You should have colored before you put the bradelocz in. Try Bigen Oriental black once it's okay to color. Cherie should be able to give you advice concerning Bradelocz but I know with other methods no one should color until at least a year after the locs were started. Good Luck.

Aswadah
02-03-2004, 05:17 AM
Thanks QueenLena. Cherie, are you there? I need your wisdom. Is it totally impossible to color my hair at this point, with fresh braids? Even if they come loose a little, I can rebraid them. I'm concerned with the overall health of the whole process. Anyone else with knowledge care to help a sistah out?

xotikloks
02-03-2004, 06:16 AM
I'm no expert, but I would suggest waiting until your locs have settled before you color. I say this especially since you mentioned that color has changed the texture of your hair. That would have an adverse effect on your locs.

Sunchild
02-03-2004, 06:23 AM
I colored my 2 strand twists at month 3. I had no adverse effects, as a matter of fact I believe it helped the process along.

rockinlocs
02-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey there!

Yeah, as QueenLena said, it would've been good had you colored prior to starting them.

The color itself won't cause your braids to unravel, but when coloring the hair, you will need to condition it and it's the conditioner that may cause some unravelling or may somewhat hinder the locking process.

So, if it's that important to you to get this coloring done like now...then just be prepared to possibly do some rebraiding and to possibly be set back with the locking process.

ETA: When you did the color in the past and got damage and the hair got kinda straight, what color was it? Was it a dark color that deposits color or was it a lighter color that lifts pigment out of your own hair?

Most times darker, depositing colors don't do too much in the way of damage and making the hair get softer/straighter. But the harsher colors that lift pigment to make your hair lighter are the ones that generally can be culprits.

I used Clairol Textures and Tones the two times I colored my locs and didn't have any problems...BUT...I did condition the mess out of my hair just to be safe. I colored during the 6th month and again when my locs turned one year.

Sunchild
02-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh I forgot to add I did not use any conditioner in my hair after I colored it.

QueenLena03
02-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I agree with Cherie. The only reason it is safe to color after some time has passed because using a conditioner is necessary after a color treatment. The color can dry the locs out and proper conditioning is needed.

Aswadah
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your replies ladies.

Cherie: I used black before, to color my hair. I'm always trying to go darker than this dingy color I've gotten over the years.

After reading your suggestions, I have decided to just exhibit some patience and wait until about 6 months into the process. I can live with this color a little longer I guess. I am in the process of documenting my journey with pictures, so I'll be coming up with an album soon. Once again, thank you for your replies sistahs. You are the best.

Peace,
Aswadah:)