PDA

View Full Version : Locs & adhesive

VinnyB
02-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi,

When my hair was locked, the hairdresser wanted to use adhesive. Whilst I was happy with the technique she used I refused use of adhesive.

Was I right or wrong with this? Surely, washing the hair would loosen the glue anyway? Plus I have never seen mention of this on the forum.

V.

LotsOfLocs
02-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Dont let that fool put glue in your hair! Why are this stylist trying to make locs overnight. This is not what locs are about. I cannot understand why people are so in a rush.

toy
02-03-2004, 03:20 PM
this is the second thread i've read in which you talk about your loctician, VinnyB, and i must say that they both have rubbed me the wrong way. do you honestly believe it's okay to put glue in your hair for the sake of locking? if so, then that's all on you, but if you're sincerely interested in locking and experiencing all of the wonderful phases that it entails, then 1) find another loctician that really knows what he or she is doing (because your current one sounds pretty incompetent), and/or 2) do more research on the subject yourself and learn how to take care of it on your own.

LOCSOFAST
02-03-2004, 03:28 PM
If you take care of it on your own, then you can only be upset with you, (especially if you put glue in your own hair)!!!

QueenLena03
02-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Glue?? You have got to be kidding me :nohuh

Fansia
02-03-2004, 04:08 PM
glue lol the things people come up with.

looking forward to queenlena.com !
:)

aquababie19
02-03-2004, 04:27 PM
in the other thread, i said trust your instincts. in this thread, i am saying run away from this person. they sound terrible. there is no instant fix for locs.

ShekinahSoul
02-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Glue :doh

Wait....glueeeee :duck

GlUEEEEEEEEEEEEE :oops:

man folks get more creative by the min. Glue in hair. I can't even speak right now :-cre

blacque_gurl
02-03-2004, 04:31 PM
:nohuh

Schiffon
02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
No, you do not want to put glue in your hair! Even if you have the straightest hair on earth, do not do this to your hair.

W8N2XHL
02-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Ruuuuuunnnn Foooooooorrrrrrrrreeeeeeeesttt!!!

Dolliesdaughter
02-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Do you think glue was meant for hair? I know that weave queens may think so, but that was not the original purpose of glue. Even if it is black. All you have to do is use common sense.

CrystalD
02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 3 2004, 06:18 PM
:lol :lol

Tuey
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 3 2004, 05:18 PM
LoL! Couldn't agree more!

If you want to save your hair (and your sanity), I suggest you find another loctician or DIY...

kaoticcoil
02-03-2004, 06:09 PM
:shock Wow!!!
Of all the craziest things I have heard, That has got to be the craziest...Your Loctician gets a smack for that :doh
Kaoticcoil

NaturallyJade
02-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Wow! I have heard it all now.
I am glad that you did not let her do that. I would find someone else.

marissasensei
02-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Duplicated post deleted.

marissasensei
02-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by toy@Feb 3 2004, 07:20 AM
this is the second thread i've read in which you talk about your loctician, VinnyB, and i must say that they both have rubbed me the wrong way. do you honestly believe it's okay to put glue in your hair for the sake of locking? if so, then that's all on you, but if you're sincerely interested in locking and experiencing all of the wonderful phases that it entails, then 1) find another loctician that really knows what he or she is doing (because your current one sounds pretty incompetent), and/or 2) do more research on the subject yourself and learn how to take care of it on your own.
ITA. The weave should've been a clue. Your hairdresser sounds totally incompetent when it comes to locs.

InspiredLocs
02-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Of aaaallll the people I have talked to, I have NEVER heard of the glue thing before. Now I HAVE heard everything. Please, say it isn't so!

Yeah, I can see how someone would be just 1 slap away from that person.

Excuse me, because I'm still a bit shocked!

W8N2XHL
02-03-2004, 11:37 PM
She ain't a Loctician but a MOCKtician. Stay away from her.

ini
02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 3 2004, 07:37 PM
She ain't a Loctician but a MOCKtician.
:huh ..... :lol :lol ...... http://www.roshini.net/images/smilies/lol.gif

amalah9
02-04-2004, 03:54 AM
I have heard of people with difficult to loc hair (very wavy,etc) putting weave glue on the very tips of their locs to stop the unraveling. Tiny rubberbands can also serve the same purpose. I hope your loctitian was not suggesting putting it on the entire length of your loc. If so then I concur with the other ladies and I would advise you to run the heck up outta there.

silkgirl2
02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
:doh :doh :doh :doh Ohhhh no no no!! Don't ever let someone put glue in your hair, that is the stupidest thing i've heard.

LOCSOFAST
02-05-2004, 12:53 AM
note to self: Glue.....Bad!

rockinlocs
02-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Okay yall, I'm bout to play "devil's" advocate for a minute...

No one here who used to be a "permie" has EVER had bonding glue put in their hair when you wore weaves?

Well, if not, I sure did!

I admit, when I first read this thread I was like :doh but then the more I thought about it, I started to think is it REALLY that serious?

I mean is it really that much different or worst to have bonding glue put on the ends of your braids or twists to hold them than to put hair color on your hair?

Mention was being made of toxins, etc...but hair coloring can be considered toxic too. Not only that, but what about rubberbands on the ends. Have yall ever seen the result of rubberbands when they get heated (perhaps from the sun, etc.) and actually begin to MELT in the hair? NO? I have. There were times when I'd have those cute little hair baubles in my daughter's hair and then when time came to take it down, it was a ooey, gooey mess.

So, while I know this is not a common practice to put glue in the hair, I don't think the loctician was going to put it on the whole perimeter of her locs, but rather the ends as I have heard of this being done.

VinnyB sent me an email...she does not plan to go back to the lady who started her locs but will maintain them on her own.

ShekinahSoul
02-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 3 2004, 12:18 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo she didn't :lol :lol :lol :lol

ShekinahSoul
02-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Rockin with weaves though you take that glue out sometime. With locs. It never comes out. It's innnnnnnnnn there.

cleosimba
02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the tips lady!! Never see me again!!

rockinlocs
02-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by ShekinahSoul@Feb 4 2004, 09:20 PM
Rockin with weaves though you take that glue out sometime. With locs. It never comes out. It's innnnnnnnnn there.
I understand that. But again, it's on the tips.

Once locked, the tips can be snipped if it means that much to the person.

Rubberbands can be locked into the hair. When people permantly attach loc jewels to their ends, the thread can become locked into the hair.

I don't even know whether or not Vinny has the glue in there or not, but I'm just saying, while it's not common, it's not unheard of, especially if the person has hair that will not stay. I'm not talking unravelling a little bit...but I'm talking the whole length unravelling.

I wouldn't want the glue for myself and would not use it on others, but I'm just trying to make a point that in my humble opinion, it's not as bad as it's been made to seem in this thread....not if it's just on the ends.

ETA: And...perhaps the same stuff used to remove bonding glue from the hair when worn with weaves could be used to remove it from the tips. We've never tried it to say whether or not it would work, ya know?

Shekinah and others...please don't take this as me being "snippy", but I just began to feel bad for Vinny after reading some of the responses, that's all. And I just wanted to present another side to this.

LOCSOFAST
02-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Feb 4 2004, 08:17 PM

I mean is it really that much different or worst to have bonding glue put on the ends of your braids or twists to hold them than to put hair color on your hair?

note to self: Glue...not bad...
glue...okay.
MOCKtitian... BAD!

W8N2XHL
02-05-2004, 03:23 AM
Smacking my hands right now, because my "Run Forest" was a bit extreme. My comments were not directed to Vinny and I do apologize for offending. rockinlocs makes a valid point about the bonding, although I've never had a weave/extensions/braids put in my hair. I would still probably seek another loctician, however. JMO.

VinnyB
02-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Better wrap this thread up with a few words.

I spotted the mocktician dabbing something on my hair, not every braid, just on some. Perplexed, I asked her what it was and then asked her not to use it, and she obliged. I didn't ask what she hoped to achieve by using it, I just got her to stop.

So my original post was just to find out if using bonding adhesive was a legitimate method and if I had worried unnecessarily about its use. I have had my hair bonded many times (back in the old days) and that stuff does wash out, so I am not worried about it being in there - healthy hair protects itself is my belief. The little bit she put on will come off in time.

As for the mocktician. Well, I had to go to somebody because I didn't have the skill myself or anyone prepared to help me to get started.

What I do have, hopefully, is a forum I can go to for advice for the ongoing care and love of locs.

Keep well.

ShekinahSoul
02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by rockinlocs+Feb 4 2004, 08:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rockinlocs @ Feb 4 2004, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ShekinahSoul@Feb 4 2004, 09:20 PM
Rockin with weaves though you take that glue out sometime. With locs. It never comes out. It&#39;s innnnnnnnnn there.
I understand that. But again, it&#39;s on the tips.

[/b][/quote]
Ohhhhhh I thought they were using glue to twist at the roots to make it hold. :doh

stephny
02-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by kiana7@Feb 3 2004, 05:18 PM
lol...No doubt! Don&#39;t do it..... :nohuh