PDA

View Full Version : 2-Strand twist out ...how to prevent the ends from

mlduvall
02-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I've been experiementing with doing a 2-strand twist out set. Question, how do you keep the ends from untwisting? I've been having a hard time keeping the ends from untwisting, and also, trying to keep the twists tight for a more defined textured and wavy look. Also, what do you use to twist, (gel, pomade, mousse, setting lotion)? I've heard "Wet" by Sebastian is good to use...what is your opinion?

Thanks a lot!

Monica :rainfro

carrolina
02-03-2004, 07:37 PM
<span style=\'color:blue\'>hey monica...

im gonna recommend ORS&#39;s (Organic Root Stimulator) twist and lock gel to hold your twists. be careful with the amount that you use though, because a lot of nappies complain about it drying out the hair when theyve used a lot. i havent experienced this yet, though. it keeps my twists soft and it&#39;s great for twistouts. ive never used "wet", so i cant comment on that. a silk/satin pillowcase will do you some good, because it&#39;ll keep your styles from unravelling and your ends from breaking. HTH.</span>

paulita425
02-03-2004, 08:42 PM
I have used twists and locs gel and some times I use pure shea butter, and they both work well for me. Are you twisting wet or dry hair. I normally twist with wet hair, and coil the ends around my finger, and they hold pretty well, Now dry hair is a whole nother story.

Dolliesdaughter
02-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Are your ends still relaxed? If not for the most part they usually stay twisted.

Scorpiogyrl
02-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I just twist my hair when it&#39;s wet. I useLustrasilk Tea Tree Cholesterol in my hair, when its&#39; wet and the use Organic Root Stimulator Tee Tree oil, on my scalp. And start twisting.
Ejoy

mlduvall
02-04-2004, 07:28 PM
I&#39;ve twisted my hair both wet and damp, but never tried when it&#39;s dry. I do still have some relaxed ends as well...so I&#39;m sure that&#39;s probably causing issues with my ends. I went out and found the ORS twist and loc gel. I&#39;ll try that and let you know how that works.

Thanks for your replies!

Venetter
02-04-2004, 10:36 PM
whoops, posted in wrong topic :doh

nicetry
02-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by mlduvall@Feb 3 2004, 12:14 PM
I&#39;ve been experiementing with doing a 2-strand twist out set. Question, how do you keep the ends from untwisting? I&#39;ve been having a hard time keeping the ends from untwisting, and also, trying to keep the twists tight for a more defined textured and wavy look. Also, what do you use to twist, (gel, pomade, mousse, setting lotion)? I&#39;ve heard "Wet" by Sebastian is good to use...what is your opinion?

Thanks a lot!

I found the tiniest clips for the ends of my twists at Walgreens. Being innovative, I gel my twists with Smooth n Shine conditioning geland fold up the ends clipping them with Scunci mini clips (http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=8&pid=9999999999)

They hold your ends together without causing you to loose length in your twists like rods do.

MALOVELY81
02-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by mlduvall@Feb 4 2004, 03:28 PM
I&#39;ve twisted my hair both wet and damp, but never tried when it&#39;s dry. I do still have some relaxed ends as well...so I&#39;m sure that&#39;s probably causing issues with my ends. I went out and found the ORS twist and loc gel. I&#39;ll try that and let you know how that works.

Thanks for your replies!

When i still had relaxed ends instead of two strand twisting my hair in individual twists, i would flat twist my hair straight back, twirl the ends around my finger and pin each twist up with a bobby pin(rubber tips ONLY)

I also twisted when it was dry, never damp because I frankly can&#39;t manipulate my hair when its damp or wet.

Since its winter, i&#39;m usually not in a rush to unravel my twists, but the longer you leave the twists in the better the wavy look. I usually twist my hair with shea butter and BlackEarth Crinkles & Curls.

Thats It

HTH

mlduvall
02-05-2004, 04:04 PM
The mini jaw clip sounds like it could work, and make things a lot easier. I&#39;ll try to find them and let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone!

Monica

nappy44
02-07-2004, 09:09 AM
when i get my hair twisted my friend uses prostyle gel, it is a dark brown gel. she does it while it is wet because i am so tender-headed, i can&#39;t take dry anything being done to my hair. do you have split ends? if you don&#39;t get them clipped the split ends will look raggedy and will not stay put. :cen if they are clipped then ends will stay neat and won&#39;t come out unless you take the twists out, which is what i call my wild look..haaay! :bis
nappylove from nappy44

mlduvall
02-08-2004, 05:04 AM
Hey everybody,
I tried the ORS lock and twist gel. This worked a lot better than simply using setting lotion. The ends didn&#39;t unwravel, and I seemed to have more of a wave definition. Only thing is, I may have used too much because I experienced some flaking afterward. I still can&#39;t seem to keep the twist tight, so I&#39;ll try nicetry&#39;s idea by using the clips. I&#39;ll keep you posted...

I&#39;ve read raves about Elsta QP&#39;s mango butter. Anybody ever tried using that?

Thanks for all of your ideas ladies...keep &#39;em coming...the more, the merrier! :thumbsup

I&#39;ll be sooooo glad when all of my hair is naural!

RealBeautyTT
02-09-2004, 01:59 AM
When I do the 2 strand twist I use a mix of a brown protein gel and TCB Naturals hair food. And when I finish a twist I gently rub the ends together to form a little palm roll ending. OOOH I just love my curly hair!!

pyogazel
04-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I&#39;ve got another question :
Who washes twists ? If you do, how do you prevent them from matting or unravelling?

babygurl
04-28-2004, 03:14 AM
I use a mix of water and olive oil to do the twist and then use murrays (only on the ends) to hold...

Neeka
04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
I use Paul Mitchell foaming pomade for my twist out. I love it, but I want to try shea butter. I&#39;ve also used Aveda humectant pomade and really liked it.

misslb
04-29-2004, 02:09 AM
I always had a problem keeping my twists tight at the root. My hair is fuzzy :) Well, I found that if you wrap one strand tightly around the other about two times before starting the twist, it will make it a little tighter. Another way is to braid it at the root, then twist. I was able to wear the same twists longer 8-)

HTH

LilShortRib
05-13-2004, 09:15 PM
I just attempted this style for the 1st time yesterday. I put mousse on the section of hair I was twisting and then curled the twist around a perm rod making sure the end was nice and wet and I smashed it against the rod and kept it nice and tight...