PDA

View Full Version : My Natural Is No Longer Natural

justmenaturally
11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
First I would like to say, this site is off the hook!
Recently I was in a wedding that required me to staighten my natural. I must say, it was nice to see my hair straight..its been 4 yrs since I had a straigt look. However, when I washed my hair, there were some areas that remained STRAGHT :Angry: . It has been approx. 2 mos. since I had my hair burnt. Has this ever happend to anyone else, if so, how long before your hair returned back to its natural state. My curly poof, just aint the same no more...

Thanks in advance if you can help

cheetarah19
11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I hate to tell you this, but it sounds as though your hair has been permanently damaged by the heat. It only takes once for the damage to happen. There's no miracle product that you can use to get your napps back. The only option is to cut out the damaged sections. If the damaged sections are large, you may just have to cut it all off if it would look horribly uneven. Read the pinned topics at the top of this forum about heat. You're not the only person this has happened to, and unfortunately you won't be the last. So sorry to hear this.

Napia Mia
11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi and welcome to nappturality, and also, congrats on your recent wedding!

Well yes, I feel like the queen of heat damage. The last time I p.ressed my hair bone straight was I think about a year ago, more or less but I started doing so off and on over the summer of 2005. By the time I realized that heat was damaging my hair, I had a head full of straight strands.

Direct heat can break the bonds that make your hair nappy just like a r.elaxer. You can end up with a range of damage including a looser nap pattern to burned straight hair or worse. I personally had a little bit of everything.

Unfortunately, the damage is done. Nothing you do can resore those bonds. I ended up cutting some of the straight hair out. Several inches in several spots. In the top, my curl pattern is so loose that I really don't like to think about it. I wear flat twists in the top most of the time to work around the damage. It still naps up but not like it should. Also, here it is a year later, I have major breakage just starting to happen I think as a result of the heat. Can't quite prove it but it's in the spot where I always parted my hair and started the p.ressing process.

I think you really need to decide what side of the fence you want to live on. We don't advocate using any heat sources on your hair here on NP. We're straight up about wearing our hair nappy and proud. Although some folks might straighten, they don't talk about it here. We ALL know it only takes ONE bad tangle with a p.ressing comb or flat flaming hot tool of hair torture (sorry...that's filter lingo for f.lat iron) to do the damage. Plus, I'm living proof that damage is also cumulative...it will eventually catch up to you even if you don't see it right away.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But there you have it. Visit the heat archives and see the pinned topic on heat damage. Continue p.ressing, and it's now an informed decision.

Good luck and again...welcome to NP.

gilroygal
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry that this has happened to you. Unfortunately, the others are right. I mean, if you WANT to hold on to the length, you could wear braids and teists, but they certainly won't look as good as if you had your healthy naps. Good luck.

justmenaturally
11-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry that this has happened to you. Unfortunately, the others are right. I mean, if you WANT to hold on to the length, you could wear braids and teists, but they certainly won't look as good as if you had your healthy naps. Good luck.
[/b]
Yeah, I think that I will just cut off the portion that is bone straight..its just in the back areas and since my hair is curly in the back, i will just wear my curly fro, and make it work.. I knew i should not have agreed to do this...again, thanks for you repsonse

jmnappy
11-20-2006, 08:34 AM
If it's been two months and your strands haven't napped back up, then they probably won't. So cut off the damaged hair and watch for this thread to be moved to the heat archives.

Dolliesdaughter
11-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree with the ladies above, you are going to have to literally cut your losses and start again. See attached link. http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=53

KB
11-20-2006, 11:31 AM
i disagree with some of the ladies

i havent had my hair straightened in a long time, but i know the last time i did, certain areas did that as well. and it took a while to come back (i didnt estimate how long though)

i dont think its permanetly damaged.. it'll bounce back, i guarantee it!

naturalay
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Recently I was in a wedding that required me to staighten my natural. I must say, it was nice to see my hair straight..its been 4 yrs since I had a straigt look. However, when I washed my hair, there were some areas that remained STRAGHT :Angry: . It has been approx. 2 mos. since I had my hair burnt. Has this ever happend to anyone else, if so, how long before your hair returned back to its natural state. My curly poof, just aint the same no more...

[/b]
Unfortunately if you want us to tell you the truth your hair won't go back to its natural state , because you said it " it has burned your hair".:( You just have to wait for the new growth and cut off the damaged hair.
It may take months or even a year to see your puff the way it used to be thanks to the new growth.

vinny_46
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
For the love of http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/f035.gif

Natural Kinks
11-20-2006, 12:47 PM

i havent had my hair straightened in a long time, but i know the last time i did, certain areas did that as well. and it took a while to come back (i didnt estimate how long though)

[/b]

*DEAD*

PLEASE don't believe it! You will likely have to cut it to eliminate the damage. Good luck!

wildandkinky
11-20-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm curious, why did you press as opposed to buying a wig?

pinkpanther08
11-20-2006, 01:39 PM

[/b]

B4 I knew better, I was getting my roots flat ironed by a professional. Needless to say, they had to get the nix. I tried to keep it, but because it was burnt it just got crispier. You should check out the flaming hot tool of hair torture archive. You shouldn't ever have to straighten your hair. Losing years of patience for somebody elses day isn't worth it. IMO.

naturalay
11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Losing years of patience for somebody elses day isn't worth it. IMO.
[/b]

That's so true.
We have to learn from our bad experiences, i am sure you won't burn your hair again. :)

littlefish
11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Good heavens! What kind of wedding "requires" you to straighten your hair? Didn't your friends know you wore your hair in its natural state when they asked you to participate? Who are these people in the world making women straighten their hair?

Better yet: Why is no one making them nap up? ;-)

Sorry that I don't have any advice to help you rehabilitate your hair. It sounds like it's been permanently damaged. If you don't want to cut it, maybe you can try to camouflage it.

Good luck.

littlefish

Secrets
11-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I must agree with the others.....I remember when I burnt my hair a few months ago... a portion of my napps at the back was damaged by heat. However, I didnt cut it as it wasnt that noticable, but it hasnt grown back to its full length as yet. The damage is still there though. Sorry about your mishap.

lsubabiedee
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
you might want to check out the blow dry and flaming hot tool of hair torture archives. chances are, your hair is permanently damaged and will have to be cut off if you want to have your natural texture back.

AsheleyBG
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I am sorry you went through that. I am trying to grow my hair out for the wedding I have to be in. BAA's prefered lol

napturallyme
11-20-2006, 05:46 PM

[/b]

This is not true for everyone. The pinned heat topics are really helpful on this issue and show that for a lot of people once the damage has been done, it's permanent.

It's best to just cut the damage off, it's hair, it will grow back

BerrySweet
11-21-2006, 01:06 AM
It sounds like heat damage. Are you very young? Did your family require you to have straight hair? If so, I'm sorry for you. Some can press their hair and not have "damage" and others cannot. I don't want to risk my hair trying to find out. If you really want to wear it straight, get a wig? It will save your hair. It's hair, it will grow back. And now you know.

Curly T
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I am sorry that happened to you. I know the pressure you must have felt to straighten your hair. My best friend is getting married next year and she tried to hint to me what i should do with my hair...while i was hinting that she should grow her's natural for the wedding :lol:

I think she knows she is fighting a losing battle, i have given in to everything else except that.

sharmyka
11-21-2006, 02:12 PM
well, i have damaged mine with a blow dryer and the damaged hairs havent bounced back. but its all in stride... pat and pull your hair into shape if possible.

my coworkers come and try to pull the straight ones out... i think it's funny. i bd'd because i wanted my ponypuff to look fuller and bigger. it did and now i have some straight hairs from damage. that is what i get. i'm still cute... hee hee!!! girl, you live and learn, but move on. its just hair, it almost always grows back.

Honesty
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
When i first went nautural i burnt my hair a couple of times and one side of hair seemed to stay semi- straight, to the point where beauticians thoughts it was still relaxed, i wasn't on nappturality then but i now realized that the straightening permanently straighted my hair. It was a definite bummer because it made some of my favorite natural styles near impossible, i guess you have learned from experience the same as i had to, now i am jus plain scared to straighted my hair!

zeina
11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I have a couple of straight pieces here and there--but I'm cutting my hair over a few "burnt" pieces that no one notices but me anyways. Wait and see. Folks love to tell others to cut--start all over! If that's what you want to do--go for it, if not wait awhile. Anyways what percentage of your hair won't bounce back from heat styling?

Have you tried a protien treatment? Good luck.

justmenaturally
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a couple of straight pieces here and there--but I'm cutting my hair over a few "burnt" pieces that no one notices but me anyways. Wait and see. Folks love to tell others to cut--start all over! If that's what you want to do--go for it, if not wait awhile. Anyways what percentage of your hair won't bounce back from heat styling?

Have you tried a protien treatment? Good luck.
[/b]
The % of hair that will not bounce back to its natural state is very small, its only in the back...and maybe in the front. I dont plan on cutting my hair over the pieces in the back.. I have grown out my hair for 4yrs and I am not going to cut it. The front of my hair grows in very straight on its own. But I havent tried a protien treatment, i have been using a deep conditioner though.