PDA

View Full Version : I want Locs!

BlackChica
02-05-2004, 05:45 AM
I have relaxed hair and want to loc my hair. I looked on the net and found something called a dreadperm but every site only showed white people. I couldnt gage anything from that perspective. Nevertheless, please let me know where I can start the process in the NY, NJ, Philly, DC, MD areas. (I'm willing to travel!)

Thank you!

Fansia
02-05-2004, 11:17 AM
from relaxed hair to dreads ? wow that is a big step.
If i were you i would cut the relaxed hair off
and enjoy my loose naps for a while.

If you decide to lock : a dreadperm is totally not
necessary if you have naps.
Don't hold on to the relaxed hair your hair will
grow back in no time. Nappy and much happier.

kenyalikimmie
02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
I agree with 4evernappy

Fansia
02-05-2004, 11:24 AM
you mean Fansia lol :)

kianga
02-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Along with what Fansia said, relaxed hair will not lock no matter what you put on it. It's dead, you'll just have to cut it off. You CAN transition from a relaxer INTO locs. But for that you'd have to let your natural hair grow out a couple inches before you could start the locing process.

NAPeROOTS
02-05-2004, 11:45 AM
What about sisterlocks? You can have that done on relaxed hair. I think there website www.sisterlocks.com

W8N2XHL
02-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by NAPeROOTS@Feb 5 2004, 06:45 AM
What about sisterlocks? You can have that done on relaxed hair. I think there website www.sisterlocks.com
I believe Kianga has SisterLocks, so she can tell you the real deal. Others that come to mind are Beryl and Diamonique (sp-search Members if you want to send them a PM)

You have to realize too that locs is/are more than just a "hairstyle" for many people. Folks have acquired patience and dedication that they have never experience before, through their loc journey.

The fact that you may have to cut off all your perm (AFFECTIONATELY known here as the Big Chop) may be shocking for you, but for those who have experienced it (me included) was a freedom never known.

Continue to read up on loc'ing AND transitioning. This site is a treasure and there are many sistahs and brothas here to support you and answer all your questions.

Many will tell you that its not just about wanting locs, but knowing WHEN it is time to start them. I'd start with the Transition Discussions. You will find many a "hairmate" there.

Peace and blessings to you on your decision and journey and continue to keep us abreast on the situation.

kianga
02-05-2004, 01:26 PM
What about sisterlocks? You can have that done on relaxed hair.

Nothing is actually "done" with the relaxed hair when you get Sisterlocks. The new growth is locked and the relaxed hair is just there for length. Eventually the relaxed hair is cut off completely-usually once your locs have began to mature.

Beryl, Diamonique, and I all transitioned from relaxers. I don't know they're sites offhand, but we all have picures if you'd like to see what it looks like.

ITA with everything Kiana said/suggested. Do your research, and then make an informed decision.

sharynleigh
02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
I saw a site where there is a woman who had dread extensions added while her perm grew out. When her hair was long enuf the extensions were cut off along with the permed ends.

I will try to find the link.

toy
02-05-2004, 03:39 PM
i second everything kiana7 said.

@ kianga, Beryl's hair was all-natural when she locked.

@BlackChica, you might also want to check out Fauryn's website. she started from coils and most of her hair was relaxed at the time. her locs are phenomenal!

Llyons
02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I have a family member who had a relaxer and wanted locs. She went and got Sisterlocs. However, you will have to eventually cut the permed hair because it won't loc.

NaTural_High
02-05-2004, 05:03 PM
I had locs for 5 years and I started from natural hair only. You said you saw only white people on the website and I'm sure you saw how terrible their hair looked. It's because their hair is too straigt and They can't coil their hair tight enough to get that look. So the best decision for you is to go "lnaturel" If you are scared to cut it off at one time, keep it braided up unitl you have your desired newgrowth or try synagalezed twists (with synthetic hair) when newgrowth comes, just twist it up as if you had locs and in time it will lock up. After it does, just cut the fake hair out. I've seen it done both ways but just cutting it off at one time is easier and it looks better.

ini
02-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by sharynleigh@Feb 5 2004, 11:14 AM
I saw a site where there is a woman who had dread extensions added while her perm grew out. When her hair was long enuf the extensions were cut off along with the permed ends.

I will try to find the link.
out of curiousity, i've heard several people, stylists included, say that this method can cause very thin weak locks and breakage because of the weight of the extensions. anyone have knowledge of this? thanx.

Sunchild
02-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by BlackChica@Feb 5 2004, 01:45 AM
I have relaxed hair and want to loc my hair. I looked on the net and found something called a dreadperm but every site only showed white people. I couldnt gage anything from that perspective. Nevertheless, please let me know where I can start the process in the NY, NJ, Philly, DC, MD areas. (I'm willing to travel!)

Thank you!
Well I wont be advocating dread extensions, nor a dread perm. This place is called Nappturality. I suggest you grow enough hair to lock, and cut off your relaxed ends. :cen If you can grow out about 2 inches, you should be good to go.

Fansia
02-05-2004, 06:12 PM
if you really really really don't want to part with your relaxed hair take a look at http://www.cherebene.com
this lady started her daughters locks with permed hair.

Sunchild
02-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Fansia@Feb 5 2004, 02:12 PM
if you really really really don't want to part with your relaxed hair take a look at http://www.cherebene.com
And those "locks"look a hot mess. I hope she plans to cut that mess off as that child's natural hair grows in and locks.

I was between a rock and a hard place. I had always been told that permed hair will not loc. No sane mother would cut off her 8 year old daughter's hair to start locs. Through extensive internet research, I realized that any hair will loc. I found pictures of locs on all races, creeds and colors. I ordered some dread wax and got busy. After nine months, we were able to stop using wax. I take Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E gel and add a few drops olive oil.  I use this mixture to palmroll each loc after a wash. I moisturize her scalp with shea butter & safflower oil with vitamin E.

I cant even believe she said no sane mother would cut their 8 year old daughter's hair. NO SANE mother would perm her hair in the first place :rolling

:cen

Then she gooped them up to the point that they are ALREADY ashy looking. :nohuh

Fansia
02-05-2004, 06:34 PM
you have a point there afrikankween.

also the sisterlockssuggestion is a good one.

kaoticcoil
02-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 5 2004, 11:23 AM

. This place is called Nappturality. I suggest you grow enough hair to lock, and cut off your relaxed ends
Amen :app :app

If you are willing to travel for the sake of starting locs, You can begin the trip by releasing the old thoughts of having lengthy hair, cut it and accept nappturality and all that it entails. You can't rush the process. The virtue of patience has been the best lesson learned will locing.

Kaoticcoil 8)

Sunchild
02-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by toy@Feb 5 2004, 11:39 AM
Fauryn's website. she started from coils and most of her hair was relaxed at the time. her locs are phenomenal!
and Napptural!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrina
02-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween+Feb 5 2004, 01:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afrikankween @ Feb 5 2004, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fansia@Feb 5 2004, 02:12 PM
if you really really really don&#39;t want to part with your relaxed hair take a look at http://www.cherebene.com
And those "locks"look a hot mess. I hope she plans to cut that mess off as that child&#39;s natural hair grows in and locks.

I was between a rock and a hard place. I had always been told that permed hair will not loc. No sane mother would cut off her 8 year old daughter&#39;s hair to start locs. Through extensive internet research, I realized that any hair will loc. I found pictures of locs on all races, creeds and colors. I ordered some dread wax and got busy. After nine months, we were able to stop using wax. I take Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E gel and add a few drops olive oil.  I use this mixture to palmroll each loc after a wash. I moisturize her scalp with shea butter & safflower oil with vitamin E.

I cant even believe she said no sane mother would cut their 8 year old daughter&#39;s hair. NO SANE mother would perm her hair in the first place :rolling

Then she gooped them up to the point that they are ALREADY ashy looking. :nohuh [/b][/quote]
ITA!

I hate to talk about the little misses but her "locs" look rugged. :nohuh Hopefully, she is cutting the permed ends as her hair grows but she could have transistioned the child or something. :smug Dayum!

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

EbonyBelle
02-05-2004, 07:59 PM
right

frstdawn
02-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Its not easy to transition......but it is much more rewarding than hanging on to dead relaxed hair. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

O.T. Patrina.....are you a hoofer?? (tap dancer for those who are not in the life. :-))

Patrina
02-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by frstdawn@Feb 5 2004, 03:47 PM
O.T. Patrina.....are you a hoofer?? (tap dancer for those who are not in the life. :-))
OK puhleeze explain? :huh

But you are right about something. . . transistioning is not easy but cutting off permed ends instead of hanging onto dead ones is by far easier. :doh WTH? I am having a hard time really diciphering what on earth you are trying to say so puhleeze elaborate. What is O.T. anyway? :-?

Patrina

frstdawn
02-05-2004, 09:25 PM
OT means off topic. sorry for the confusion. When I asked you about whether or not you were a tap dancer it was because you have an avatar of Savion Glover....a tap dancer...also known as a hoofer. :-)

D

mochacaremel
02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
@Afrikankween, you are right. I would never have done that to my child&#39;s hair. Her hair looks positively wilted, while at the same time the mother&#39;s hair looks fabulous. My child will always look better than me if I can help it.

To the original poster, your choices are your own, but, in my opinion, you will never know how much joy you&#39;ve cheated yourself out of if you get your locks now without letting go of the perm. This is definitely a situation where the journey is better than the destination.

Mocha

Patrina
02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by frstdawn@Feb 5 2004, 04:25 PM
OT means off topic. sorry for the confusion. When I asked you about whether or not you were a tap dancer it was because you have an avatar of Savion Glover....a tap dancer...also known as a hoofer. :-)

D
:offtopic Oh gurl, for a second there I thought you were calling me a name. :doh My bad. Anywho, when I was younger I tap danced but I haven&#39;t since high school. Something about finally being free of leotards and pink tutus.... :lol And I am absolutely in love with the man. I used to watch Tap all the time.

Patrina

Ravensholst
02-05-2004, 10:29 PM
I dont have locs, but one day hope to and I want to go through every twist and turn of the journey. I think I will appreciate them much more that way while learning to practice patience. I think that would be the best way to go..for anyone.

I thought that her lil girl&#39;s hair was a hot mess...and its a shame for her hair to be bangin&#39; and have her lil girl half steppin&#39;...she was right...what a brave lil girl..lol

ShekinahSoul
02-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Well my loc sistas have covered all ground already :)

I don&#39;t believe in dread perms or trying to loc relaxed hair or extensions. I do know that any hair that tangles will loc .....eventually. If you never comb the relaxer hair again it will tangle and maybe loc down the road but you will look a HOT mess. Natural hair trying to loc looks frizzy enough as it is.....but relaxed hair trying to loc. Bad news I&#39;m afraid.

The way the dread perms work is they have to back comb the hair. They get a section of your hair, put a rat tooth comb in it (who came up with the term "rat tooth" :lol ) and then instead of pulling the comb down they push it up to tangle the hair. And then I think the dread perm comes into play.

All I can tell you sista is there is no quick way to get REAL locs. Locs take time. It&#39;s a process the hair goes through. If you want locs you gotta put the time into it. Yea I know somebody out there going to try to tell you we don&#39;t know what we are talking about and yea get the dread perm or yea get the extensions :blah Just do your research :thumbsup

silkgirl2
02-05-2004, 11:33 PM
When I decided to loc my hair, I had about four inches of new growth and about 8 inches of permed hair and I just decided to cut off the perm. If this is something that you really want then you should go ahead and get rid of that perm hair because it&#39;s dead, it won&#39;t loc. I believe that dread perms are for white people, i don&#39;t think it would look right on our hair. But the perm needs to go, be free!!! :rainfro

Beryl
02-06-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by kianga@Feb 5 2004, 07:26 AM

What about sisterlocks? You can have that done on relaxed hair.Beryl, Diamonique, and I all transitioned from relaxers. I don&#39;t know they&#39;re sites offhand, but we all have picures if you&#39;d like to see what it looks like.
For the record, I did not transition from a relaxer with Sisterlocks. I transitioned from a relaxer with braids from 1993 to 1996. I had 100% natural (but colored) hair when I got Sisterlocks in 1999.

However, I agree with everything else. Sisterlocks just allow folks who have relaxers to hang on to their relaxed ends while the natural hair grows out in a Sisterlocks pattern. Once the natural hair reaches a certain point and the hair locks up enough so that it won&#39;t unravel, the relaxed hair should be cut off.

If you want locs, that is cool. Sisterlocks might be the way for you.

Sunchild
02-06-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Beryl+Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Beryl @ Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kianga@Feb 5 2004, 07:26 AM

What about sisterlocks? You can have that done on relaxed hair.Beryl, Diamonique, and I all transitioned from relaxers. I don&#39;t know they&#39;re sites offhand, but we all have picures if you&#39;d like to see what it looks like.
For the record, I did not transition from a relaxer with Sisterlocks. I transitioned from a relaxer with braids from 1993 to 1996. I had 100% natural (but colored) hair when I got Sisterlocks in 1999.

However, I agree with everything else. Sisterlocks just allow folks who have relaxers to hang on to their relaxed ends while the natural hair grows out in a Sisterlocks pattern. Once the natural hair reaches a certain point and the hair locks up enough so that it won&#39;t unravel, the relaxed hair should be cut off.

If you want locs, that is cool. Sisterlocks might be the way for you. [/b][/quote]
an with sisterlocks you gotta have some nappy hair , right!?!

:smug

if yall cant tell this topic bugs me for some reason

ok the point is.......you gott have some nappy hair on your head somewhere to get locks, or it will look like that poor lil sacrifical lamb on that website with her mother stunting and she looking like a tagalong. :mad

Sunchild
02-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by mochacaremel@Feb 5 2004, 05:28 PM
My child will always look better than me if I can help it.

:app :app

My mom taught me the same thing.

mochacaremel
02-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 5 2004, 10:44 PM
or it will look like that poor lil sacrifical lamb on that website with her mother stunting and she looking like a tagalong. :mad
LMAO :doh

How could she not see the distinct difference in appearance, I wonder?

At any rate, I used to LOVE me some girlscout Tag-a-long cookies! MMMMM-UMM!

Mocha

Sunchild
02-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by mochacaremel+Feb 5 2004, 11:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mochacaremel @ Feb 5 2004, 11:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-afrikankween@Feb 5 2004, 10:44 PM
or it will look like that poor lil sacrifical lamb on that website with her mother stunting and she looking like a tagalong. :mad
LMAO :doh

How could she not see the distinct difference in appearance, I wonder?

At any rate, I used to LOVE me some girlscout Tag-a-long cookies! MMMMM-UMM!

Mocha [/b][/quote]
I am hoping she is snipping off the relaxed ends as her natural hair comes in and locks.

W8N2XHL
02-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 5 2004, 10:44 PM
There are some definite DON&#39;TS in locing.

mochacaremel
02-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 5 2004, 11:01 PM
I am hoping she is snipping off the relaxed ends as her natural hair comes in and locks.
Hey Kween,

I hate a perm as much as the next napptural...BUT this little girl&#39;s damage was already done and, truth be told, I would have let her keep the perm the way it was before I did THAT to her head. :duck She just woulda been one transitioning little girl.

Mocha

aquababie19
02-06-2004, 04:34 AM
i would have either cut her hair or let her transition from the perm. but i&#39;ve decided mine will never relax!

kianga
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
For the record, I did not transition from a relaxer with Sisterlocks. [/QUOTE

I&#39;m sorry Beryl! And to everyone else: My bad for giving the wrong information! :duck

[quote]an with sisterlocks you gotta have some nappy hair , right!?!

Yep

or it will look like that poor lil sacrifical lamb on that website with her mother stunting and she looking like a tagalong.

ROFLMBAO! Po baby! She did look nuts... :nohuh