PDA

View Full Version : Starting An Online Magazine

YorubaQueen
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Peace....
I just want to say first of all that I REALLY REAAAAAAAAAAALLY enjoy this thread. It's very informational and helpful to all of us that are starting our own businesses and is really networking black business in a more global way.
My question is this (with a little background first :) : I am starting an online magazine that I would like to have debut in Jan. '07. I have written out the topics that I want to cover, I have several of my first articles already completed, I am also in the process of copyrighting or trademarking my magazine's name. Plus, I am still rying to find a webhost (it's difficult for me now because I am currently not working and somewhat financially disabled) but I have seen some free websites that I have my eye on. I have a written plan on how I want my magazine and publihing company to grow from this grassroots start...but I don't have a business plan.
I said all of THAT to say this: is there anything else that I am missing? Should I have a business plan now at the beginning of my journey, even though I am not asking for any loans from people? Also, should I have a press release or a press kit before I decide to launch my magazine? And, did your press release help your company make profits from businesses that want to advertise?
I have been working on the content of this magazine for 2 years and I am really ready to get it rolling because this is what I want to do for the rest of my life (stay home, and work on my mag in my PJs :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and I want to do it right...I have been doing a lot of research on how to start my business and I have a lot of the things in place...but I would like to have some advice from people that have started their own online magazine....and to let me know if I am on the right path...I guess I'm asking for a big sister or brother to help a sister out :)
So any advice....please let me k now and thanks in advance!
Peace
YQ

DivineSpirals
12-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Yoruba Queen. If you are selling advertisement space, please let me know. I'd like to advertise my art and art gift items (see http://www.haynesart.com).

dede22s
12-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi!

My name is Dede....I actually started and am relaunching my magazine as an online medium in mid-2007. I am also a marketing and public relations professional and with that being said PR and Marketing are very very important to your success. Targeting your publication to the right audience is very important as well. When I started my publication in 2003, I started as an print publication that was distributed regional with about 40,000 subscribers, but due all kinds of situations I decided to take a break. When I launched I was straight out of college and thought if I put my site up my audience would come, but I realized if they didn't know about me they couldn't. It was alot of work- but worth it :)

My advice to you is put together a marketing and a public relations plan. Both are similar but different in their own right. One is to figure out your approach/audience and one is the execution of your marketing plan.

Figure out what makes your publication different...
Figure out your editorial structure... (i.e. fashion, lifestyle...)
Figure out how many times you are going to update your site..( bi-monthly, monthly)
Figure out your target; their age, likes, HHI, etc. (ages 15-25, 18-40....)
You should also release a Press Release - they have some free PR wires.
Put together a media kit (if you are going to sell advertising) for prices look at some of your competitors or alike publications and see what they are charging....
Put together a Press kit and send to PR professionals, clothing and cosmetics companies, local media and other influencers/trendsetters...
Figure out how you are going to drive traffic to your site...
Decide if you are going to put your publication banners on other sites to help drive traffic...(i.e. advertise on Nappturality.com and others)
Partner with cosmetics companies for promotions, sponsorships and events...

If you need anything else let me know :)
Check out Clutch on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/clutchmag
www.clutchmagazine.com (Under Construction..OLD SITE)
My Blog:http://clutchandlipglass.blogspot.com/

blackviper2007
02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi again. I just answered your other post.

I just wanted to warn you that if your planning on a subscription based magazine a free host is not the way to go. To many trust barriers to cross, etc. However if you must Netfirms usually has free hosting if you pay $5 for a domain. All you have to deal with is a rather ugly Google Adsense on the top of your site plus you won't be allowed to use your own Adsense program.

Most people recommend that you have a business plan. I don't, for what I'm doing, affiliate marketing, I feel it wouldn't make a difference either way. (However it might be because I have my plans in my head? :dunno: )

As for advertising, you might want to try AdWords and Microsoft is starting something new though I have not tried it yet.

Ebonique
02-18-2007, 11:16 AM
you may want to pm Masoesa for a few pointers, she has started an online hair magazne. :)