PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum, Breastfed And Hair Loss

tipp6
12-01-2006, 07:22 AM
hello ladies and gents:)

i joined Nappturality this morning, so i'm new here, but not new to natural hair, but AM new to taking care and learning about my natural hair...i hope that didn't sound confusing. if so, please forgive my rambling:)

i had my first baby, a girl, in june '04. a few months later, when i got a perm (i wore braids and cornrows the whole pregnancy, so i had tons of beautiful new growth, but didn't know it back then) i noticed my edges were thinned out. i've NEVER ever in my thick, nappy-coarse-hair life had issues with thinness; i had the opposite issue most of my life-too thick and bushy....still, when i saw the thinness, it didn't dawn on me. i just purchased a ponytail, kept my hair permed and straight, and wore a ponytail the majority of the time for the next 7months. my hair was falling out and shedding, but due to 'new mommy' fatigue, sleep deprivation, and a baby who nursed frequent, i wasn't thinking about my hair. it wasn't a priority (taking care of baby and trying to sleep when she slept was priority back then!), until i noticed the near baldness at the top of my head, where i wore the ponytail most of the time. that, along with having a comb full of hair every time i combed it, got my attention. but i didn't know what to do.

a friend of mine at church (she has absolutely gorgeous natural hair) advised me to stop perming, clip my ends every 4-6weeks and deep condition. then, it dawned on me how healthy, vibrant and nice my natural hair was several years ago (i unconsciously went natural, due to wearing braids all winter in '00, but got a perm when i didn't know what else to do with it), so i had no problem cutting my thinned permed hair out and wearing scarves most of the time....over the coarse of a year, i learned more and more (and still learning) about what to use on my type of hair, styles to wear, etc....

my hair has gotten it thickness back again, but the top of my hair, where i once wore the ponytail, is thick but not growing. the rest of my hair is growing, especially the top and back, so my hair looks unshaped due to the unevenness.

what can i use (or do) to stimulate hair growth in my top? also, i know that diet and exercise play a role in hair growth, but what exactly do i need to add to my diet (or remove) that would promote healthy hair??

thank u all so much in advance,
tipp

caramelaggie
12-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Welcome!!!!!!!!!! I love it here. I haven’t been as active as I used to be, but that is because I now know what I am doing with my hair. I hope you find some friends and some great resources. I don’t have a lot of advice but I will try. I experienced quite a bit of thinning after my son was born. I find that diet and exercise really do help with your hair. For my hair, it can never get enough water. Inside and out. I wet my hair everyday but I drink about 56 oz of water everyday as well. I can also tell when I have stopped drinking water as my hair starts to get dry. Do you drink water? If so how much. I make it my normal routine everyday ( Mon- Fri ) to try 56 oz while at work. Try it! Also try massaging your scalp where it is a little thin.

tipp6
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
thanks caramelaggie for responding!

re: water, i would grade myself as C+ on water drinking, around 4-6cups per day. i definitely can stand to increase my intake. re: my diet and exercise, i'm working on it, it's been an uphill battle for me, but healthy hair is now another importnant reason (amongst many others) to get it together :)

i'll try the massaging, i once did the massages but have backed off, so i'll try to do it nightly. thanks again!
tipp

Welcome!!!!!!!!!! I love it here. I haven’t been as active as I used to be, but that is because I now know what I am doing with my hair. I hope you find some friends and some great resources. I don’t have a lot of advice but I will try. I experienced quite a bit of thinning after my son was born. I find that diet and exercise really do help with your hair. For my hair, it can never get enough water. Inside and out. I wet my hair everyday but I drink about 56 oz of water everyday as well. I can also tell when I have stopped drinking water as my hair starts to get dry. Do you drink water? If so how much. I make it my normal routine everyday ( Mon- Fri ) to try 56 oz while at work. Try it! Also try massaging your scalp where it is a little thin.
[/b]

Yolanda35
12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
my son is now 6mths old and shortly after having him my hair began to grow. due to hard water and relocating elsewhere, my hair fell out. but to restore growth, i usually clip as often as i can and i use products that contain olive oil. i've always tried to maintain a healthy diet, but like caramelaggie said water really helps. my intake is 32 oz's per day but after reading this thread i will try to increase...

sophia5464
01-24-2007, 01:00 PM
hello ladies and gents:)

i joined Nappturality this morning, so i'm new here, but not new to natural hair, but AM new to taking care and learning about my natural hair...i hope that didn't sound confusing. if so, please forgive my rambling:)

i had my first baby, a girl, in june '04. a few months later, when i got a perm (i wore braids and cornrows the whole pregnancy, so i had tons of beautiful new growth, but didn't know it back then) i noticed my edges were thinned out. i've NEVER ever in my thick, nappy-coarse-hair life had issues with thinness; i had the opposite issue most of my life-too thick and bushy....still, when i saw the thinness, it didn't dawn on me. i just purchased a ponytail, kept my hair permed and straight, and wore a ponytail the majority of the time for the next 7months. my hair was falling out and shedding, but due to 'new mommy' fatigue, sleep deprivation, and a baby who nursed frequent, i wasn't thinking about my hair. it wasn't a priority (taking care of baby and trying to sleep when she slept was priority back then!), until i noticed the near baldness at the top of my head, where i wore the ponytail most of the time. that, along with having a comb full of hair every time i combed it, got my attention. but i didn't know what to do.

a friend of mine at church (she has absolutely gorgeous natural hair) advised me to stop perming, clip my ends every 4-6weeks and deep condition. then, it dawned on me how healthy, vibrant and nice my natural hair was several years ago (i unconsciously went natural, due to wearing braids all winter in '00, but got a perm when i didn't know what else to do with it), so i had no problem cutting my thinned permed hair out and wearing scarves most of the time....over the coarse of a year, i learned more and more (and still learning) about what to use on my type of hair, styles to wear, etc....

my hair has gotten it thickness back again, but the top of my hair, where i once wore the ponytail, is thick but not growing. the rest of my hair is growing, especially the top and back, so my hair looks unshaped due to the unevenness.

what can i use (or do) to stimulate hair growth in my top? also, i know that diet and exercise play a role in hair growth, but what exactly do i need to add to my diet (or remove) that would promote healthy hair??

thank u all so much in advance,
tipp
[/b]

Hormones Can Cause Imbalances in the body..especially after or during pregnancy..sometimes hair will grow like wild flowers and other times it will become thinn or break off...My mother in law is a nurse and this past year (2006) there were a few preggies in da fam...she said most often it happens when baby boys are born. I just pray that u find something that works for you. TTYL

This..Girl...I Am (http://www.fotki.com/sweetypie785)

giovannanicole
01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I've been nappy for 8 years....two years ago, after the birth of my son my hair began to fall out. I mean, I shed enough hair to make an afro wig, I'm NOT kidding!

My understanding is that after pregnancy, the loss of the pregnancy hormones (that made your hair flourish while pregnant) make your hair fall out. I think that I remember reading that pregnant women's hair follicles don't go through phases of growth and shedding like non-pregnant women. The hair follicles stay in the phase of constant growth, and this is why our hair grows so thick and long when pregnant.

My hair shed for AT LEAST 7 or 8 months. My stylist would put some type of STINKY wheatgerm/vitamin E mixture around my edges (I'll get the name of it) and my edges grew back in. But honestly, it took about one year for my hair to feel "normal" again.

Now if I could only get my pre-pregnancy body back....that'd be nice. :lol: