View Full Version : Short Locs & Job Interview

Ree-C
02-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Hello All,

I have an interview (the first since being sl'd) on Tuesday
morning. I have been wearing my locks just free style since I've
had them (3weeks). I have about 3.5 inches at the top & about 2.5 in the
back. I just wanted suggestions for a style that I can do that will
look professional for my interview. I just want to look presentable.
I have the frizzies and I like them actually, but I want to look
professional. Any suggestions would be much obliged.

locmeup01
02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Hello.

I have 3 and 1/2 in. black locs with red tips and I had the same concern about looking professional. Believe it or not I haven't encounted any problems at all and I'm in the South. I've had more problems with African-Americans suffering with identity crisis making comments. But as long as you present yourself as a professional and keep your hair clean and neat you shouldn't have any problems.

By the way I work in an office environment. :doh

tinovia
02-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I had lots of fuzzies when I went for my interview. I simply put a little olive oil and aloe vera gel on it and put on my suit. I got the job. The key to a successful interview is confidence and compentence. Good Luck!

alma2254
02-06-2004, 06:39 PM
You can always try a nice headwrap on the day or use decorative pins to keep the front locs out of your face.

I used a thick headband that matched the suit, to keep the locs out.

:heart Goodluck!

marissasensei
02-06-2004, 06:41 PM
It sounds like your locs are long enough to set on very small perm rods. (If you can't find perm rods small enough, you can also roll up strips of aluminum foil) That will help a bit with the random loc that sticks out like an antenna, and it will also condense the locs a little so it will temporarily cut down on the fuzz.

Leecee
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by marissasensei@Feb 6 2004, 02:41 PM
It sounds like your locs are long enough to set on very small perm rods. (If you can't find perm rods small enough, you can also roll up strips of aluminum foil) That will help a bit with the random loc that sticks out like an antenna, and it will also condense the locs a little so it will temporarily cut down on the fuzz.
That sounds cute.
I'd suggest just keep it simple. And I'm sure when put your suit on, go in there and strutt your stuff, you'll do fine.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup
Let us know how it goes.

soleil
02-06-2004, 06:50 PM
tinovia and marissasensei has some good ideas to tame the frizzies. My addition would be to just stay true to yourself. Sport your locs by holding your head high which exudes confidence and commands respect- and you will do great ! :)

..Soleil :)

vwlion
02-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Test

flynppy
02-06-2004, 07:43 PM
As long as you have confidence you should have no problem in your interview. Since being loced I have been on interviews and have no problem. In fact I am in the process of going for second round interviews. All I am going to do is either use a headband or maybe flatwist the from and put the back in a bun or something and rock that interview!!!!!!!!11

Pray for me!!!! ( It is for the Transit authority.....It would be a great job to have.)

LaLa058
02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
As long as you are confortable with hoe your hair looks dont worry about it. The only thing I would suggest is maybe a nice headband to match your outfit if your roots are off the chain like mine:)>. Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck,
LaLa

LotsOfLocs
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I would not recommend a head wrap. That is too radical for white folks. I personally dont believe baby locs should be styled, stunts their growth. I also would not put a whole lot of trinkets on the hair, it will just bring attention to your hair. The more intricate you style the hair the more you bring attention to it. Just have your hair cleaned and oiled or whatever.

The trick is a bad azz suit, pressed(Bluish, Black, or gray) and presentable polished shoes.

W8N2XHL
02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by flynppy@Feb 6 2004, 03:43 PM

Pray for me!!!! ( It is for the Transit authority.....It would be a great job to have.)
My prayers are for you, Fly. Claim that job. And I agree with LotsofLocs, don't ornament the hair. A rod set might be nice though.

blkbyrd0302
02-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Feb 6 2004, 04:17 PM
I would not recommend a head wrap. That is too radical for white folks. I personally dont believe baby locs should be styled, stunts their growth. I also would not put a whole lot of trinkets on the hair, it will just bring attention to your hair. The more intricate you style the hair the more you bring attention to it. Just have your hair cleaned and oiled or whatever.

The trick is a bad azz suit, pressed(Bluish, Black, or gray) and presentable polished shoes.
Having been in a position to have interviewed lots of people ITA with this statement.

Dress neatly from head to toe, put your best foot forward and claim that job. If you are loced and plan to stay that way then don't cover them up or draw attention to them.

In addition, if you wear perfume make sure it is not overpowering.

:thumbsup

QueenLena03
02-07-2004, 01:18 AM
You should be fine just wearing your baby locs like you have been. The key is nice accesories and like Lots have said a bad suit on. Good luck :thumbsup

ShekinahSoul
02-07-2004, 05:13 AM
I suggest a headband the color of your locs. Clean, well oiled locs (so the hair does not look dry) pulled off the face with a headband the color of the locs looks professional. They tend to see your face and not the locs.

CrystalD
02-07-2004, 05:58 PM
good luck on your job interview!

CrystalD
02-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Good luck on your job interview!

Ree-C
02-07-2004, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I will keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks again.