PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Flat Iron VS Flat Irom

rainbow1
02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a Flat Iron so that I can do a roller set and flaten it a little. I think I read somewhere that a ceramic flat iron is better (jibraltire) sp??. I was wondering why and if I should really make this invesment or stick with my old gold flat iron? (I have not used my flat iron since being natural)

Thank you

lsubabiedee
02-07-2004, 04:30 PM
i heard something about ceramic being better for the hair

napturallyme
02-08-2004, 01:51 AM
I've heard this too. I was browsing the longhaircareforum.com and they had a thread on this, you may want to look on their to find out. Several members on this board say it's better.

NappySoul
02-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Both irons are good. But with a ceramic iron if you use it to much it could straighten your hair premanently because it gives off infared rays.

kinkity
02-08-2004, 03:53 AM
I've heard that ceramic are better because they heat evenly and for that reason don't have "heat spots", spots very much hotter than others that normal flat irons can cause.

nybabee1718
02-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Well i personally like the ceramic. It's true it does have even distribution and it has heat settings but then again some flat irons also have these. I guess its just up to the individual

StarShine
02-08-2004, 07:53 AM
i like the ceramic iron better, i don't have to run it over my hair as many times to get it straight...and i also didn't need to blow dry my hair first, i just let it air dry

i also think that the cheapo conair brand ceramic iron works very well, i wouldn't shell out a lot of money for the jilbere brand

kichca
02-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I've read somewhere that ceramic flat irons won't catch your hair as you slide the iron over it, as regular flat irons sometimes do. When I was a permie, I stopped using flat irons for that same reason. They didn't cause heat damage, because I used the lowest setting, but they caught onto my hair and caused breakage, especially around my hairline. Supposedly, the ceramic material doesn't do this.

Curlyque
02-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I have the Jibere brand flat iron and it's one of the best I've ever had. No breakage, no uneven heat and I only have to pull through once or twice and I'm on to the next section. It really gives a much smoother appearance.

Curlyq

indigo2
02-10-2004, 06:07 AM
wow, we can talk about flat irons on Nappturality?
I'm not being sarcastic. I really thought that any reference to straightening wasn't allowed here.

sweetield
02-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Please. We are all grown woman. If someone wants to straighten, loc, twist, color, etc...It's their business. No one has the right to tell someone what to do or not do to their hair.

carmenjones
02-10-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm transitioning right now and I must say my ceramic iron is a Godsend. If I wrap my hair every night, I only have to do it once every two weeks. It gets my relaxed hair very straight, but I don't really try to use it so much on the roots. Plus, I don't blow dry my hair so for what it's doing, it's marvelous.

Curlyque
02-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Yep, Carmen, that flat iron saved me during my transitioning phase. If I didnt have it (and I did not know how to do transition styles at all) I would have been lost.

Curlyq

HairLove
02-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by carmenjones@Feb 10 2004, 02:26 PM
I'm transitioning right now and I must say my ceramic iron is a Godsend. If I wrap my hair every night, I only have to do it once every two weeks. It gets my relaxed hair very straight, but I don't really try to use it so much on the roots. Plus, I don't blow dry my hair so for what it's doing, it's marvelous.
:duck This thread seems to be headed in an "un nappy direction".

Are you transitioning to wear your hair in its NAPPY, NATURAL texture? Or, just to flat iron it straight instead? I thought that transitiong styles were about twistout/braidout to make relaxed hair mimick your new nappy texture, not about making your naps blend in with the relaxed hair. Am I wrong?

indigo2
02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I flat iron right now because it is the easiest transition style for me. When I went natural the first time, I really did it to straighten in a "healthier"way :nohuh

I realize now that pressing ( with a hot comb) every other day is just as bad as a perm. With me flat ironing now, I hardly use any heat for the rest of the week and I wrap it every night. This style is workin for me until I do my big chop and have a uniform texture.

and don't worry..

This thread seems to be headed in an "un nappy direction".

That wont happen. At least not with me. I like my natural hair. When I first went natural I was trying to mimic relaxed hair, euro, asian straight hair. Now I don't trip over the first sign of texture. Whatever. I just let it go and do its thang

For me, transitioning is all about getting to the Big Chop. I'm not trying to transition for 6+ months. So whatever works....can't wear cornrows (in the winter) hair too short (for my liking) to do "transition styles" can't afford braids (I'm a college student with a car note). This style is the easiest and cheapest style and I'm gonna stick with it until my big chop day in April!!! Whoooo hoooo!!! I can't wait

:rainfro

rainbow1
02-12-2004, 02:36 AM
Just an FYI:

I posted about the flat iron because I would like to use it for a roller set. I want to be able to flatten the curls a little. I have no intentions of looking like a permie girl for more than a day or two! :-)

deecoily
02-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by sweetield@Feb 11 2004, 09:23 AM
Please. We are all grown woman. If someone wants to straighten, loc, twist, color, etc...It's their business. No one has the right to tell someone what to do or not do to their hair.
Certainly I can't stop grown women from burning their hair out of their heads, but this being my website, I can make rules as to what is and is not appropriate to discuss here.

If you want to learn about how to straighten your napptural hair, you'd be better advised to visit another forum. There are lots out there where you can learn about flat ironing, pressing, relaxing etc. I don't encourage using heat to straighten hair because it is damaging to our beautiful hair.

So I'm going to close this thread before it becomes such that people think heat straightening discussion is acceptable here on NP.

Peace,

~Dee~