PDA

View Full Version : Beyond "off the grid"

LBellatrix
02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
In the traditional sense (or, at least, the way I originally heard it), being "off the grid" meant that you weren't dependent on the local electric company for your home's or business' electric power; that you were totally self-sufficient electrically.

Being natural, being natural with so-called "bad hair," actually LOVING that so-called "bad hair," and being a natural do-it-yourselfer has always meant being "off the grid" for me. (In other ways besides hair I'm "off the grid," but that's another story.) However, now that I'm locking (11 wks as of today), I'm sensing that I'm moving into a completely different dimension (HuGrad would appreciate that statement, being a Twilight Zone fan :) ).

Last night I went to a drum circle at a Chicago club. I believe I was the only black woman in the place with natural hair, and actually I was one of the few black women in the place period (yeah, it's kind of odd to be doing West African drumming with a whole bunch of non-black folks). But there were men there, of ALL colors, musicians and non-musicians alike, wearing locs. Some were very well manicured, and some were freeform. This one older white musician had freeform blond locs hanging just past his knees.

Now maybe it's because we were all making music together, but ALL of them, regardless of skin color, regardless of loc type, represented a kind of freedom that I feel like I have yet to touch, even though I'm feeling freer right NOW than I have in a long time. Most likely it's something that goes beyond the hair itself...but I don't know. It's like there's a curtain ahead of me that I'm about to go through. (Insert "Twilight Zone" music here. :razz )

I have said before that I didn't go natural for spiritual reasons. My original motivation for locking was not spiritual either, to be completely honest. But I went through a spiritual transformation DESPITE MYSELF after I went natural. I have a feeling something similar is about to happen that's going to change my eyesight AGAIN. (Insert "West Side Story" music here: "Something's coming, something good/If I can wait..." :razz)

ANYway...that's my sleepy Sunday morning observation after being out until 1:30am (at my age, that's LATE for me) banging on a djembe. :coffee

sharynleigh
02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by LBellatrix@Feb 8 2004, 11:21 AM
I didn't go natural for spiritual reasons. My original motivation for locking was not spiritual either, to be completely honest. But I went through a spiritual transformation DESPITE MYSELF after I went natural.
ITA -

I feel a sense of freedom that I never had before and this feeling is so unexpected. I feel braver because choosing to go natural and loc is a brave step. I feel that I have found something that I lost long ago and wasn't aware of it. I look at permies and feel that I have a secret that they are not ready to hear. I feel a connection with other naturals and loc-heads.

Yup Twilight Zone stuff

ShekinahSoul
02-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by sharynleigh+Feb 8 2004, 01:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sharynleigh @ Feb 8 2004, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LBellatrix@Feb 8 2004, 11:21 AM
I didn&#39;t go natural for spiritual reasons. My original motivation for locking was not spiritual either, to be completely honest. But I went through a spiritual transformation DESPITE MYSELF after I went natural.
ITA -

I feel a sense of freedom that I never had before and this feeling is so unexpected. I feel braver because choosing to go natural and loc is a brave step. I feel that I have found something that I lost long ago and wasn&#39;t aware of it. I look at permies and feel that I have a secret that they are not ready to hear. I feel a connection with other naturals and loc-heads.

Yup Twilight Zone stuff [/b][/quote]
So well said. I noticed my sense of freedom when I went to go see the Alvin Ailey dance troupe yesterday. Of course there were hundreds of African Americans in the crowd and most were probably the middle class mainstream crowd. And something happened to me that has not happened in awhile. Folks were staring at my head :-P And I realized once AGAIN :lol that I had a freedom with my locs they did not have. No bad hair days, no burning scalp, no scabs on the scalp, no flat tired hair, no breakage, no split ends, no hair worries period. My hair is totally healthy and looks good and feels as soft as a pillow :) Just one less thing for me to worry myself about. :thumbsup

InspiredLocs
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
LBellarix, your words are beautiful and express what many loc wearers feel. That&#39;s why the name of the website I&#39;m working on is called "Inspired Locs".

Whether it happens before the decision to loc, or during the process, many become "inspired". We become inspired to grasp freedom and self acceptance. There is an awakening that takes place in terms of who you are and what you are about. Now, I&#39;m definitely an off the grid type of person myself and find that locs express that aspect of my being. I am totally comfortable with my locs.

InspiredLocs
02-09-2004, 12:57 PM
By the way, wow, you can play the djembe!

toy
02-09-2004, 01:48 PM
nice post, LBell. i can identify with a lot of what you&#39;ve said--particularly the unanticipated spiritual connection. the other thing that strikes me is the sense of freedom aspect. the longer i&#39;ve been locked, the freer i&#39;ve become. in the early stages i would constantly spritz my hair, making sure that it was nourished all the time, whereas now i just "let it be". ninety-nine percent of the time, when i wake up in the morning i just shake out my locs and go on about my business. now, that&#39;s freedom.

on another note, are you saying you don&#39;t pay for your electricity (j/k)? i actually wasn&#39;t familiar with this term, but Ralph Ellison&#39;s invisible man immediately comes to mind...

frstdawn
02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I feel you LBell! Music is power.....I am also a percussionist (tap and congas) so definitely understand how unifying music is....musicians have always been accepting of "different". Yaknowwhatimsayin? :-)

D

Joyfulocs
02-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by toy@Feb 9 2004, 09:48 AM
nice post, LBell.
ditto. i&#39;m so glad she&#39;s locking now. :)

feepee
02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
i actually wasn&#39;t familiar with this term, but Ralph Ellison&#39;s invisible man immediately comes to mind...

same here

PrincessDrRe
02-09-2004, 10:37 PM
To turn to the locs and refrain from the relaxer was a spiritual move for me. I was happy going natural...then after going through a difficult breakup, I started focusing on me....ME! I began to look at things that other people called "ugly/nasty" (locs, little/no/light makeup) and see the beauty in it for myself. Little did I know that most of the things that were perceived as "nasty, ugly, or evil" were actually just beautiful.

I love twisting my hair, I love the feel of no scabs on my scalp, I love touching my hair now....not oily and greasy. I love that loc in the top of my head that refuses to lay down (unicorn horn). I actually love my hair now, and with that, I now truly love myself. Not conforming to someone elses definition of beauty, but the definition that was given during the beginning of time.

LBellatrix
02-09-2004, 10:43 PM
"Invisible man..." wow, I wasn&#39;t thinking along those lines, but I hear where you&#39;re coming from, Toy.

InspiredLocs, I&#39;m looking forward to your Web site because that&#39;s exactly how I&#39;m beginning to feel. INSPIRED to do things I&#39;ve never done and go places I&#39;ve never been. Goodness knows I&#39;ve been needing that kind of inspiration.

Frstdawn, I hear you! I currently play flute in several ensembles. :thumbsup But that was the first time I&#39;ve ever played a djembe. My friend, who&#39;s been studying drumming, invited me to this circle. I would love to pursue it further but I&#39;d have to clear my calendar.

Joyful: :)

Sharynleigh: Your post has me singing, "I know something you don&#39;t know...na na na NA na..." :lol

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I kinda knew y&#39;all would know what I was talking about, but it&#39;s good to get confirmation anyway. :heart

Beryl
02-10-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Joyfulocs+Feb 9 2004, 09:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joyfulocs @ Feb 9 2004, 09:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-toy@Feb 9 2004, 09:48 AM
nice post, LBell.
ditto. i&#39;m so glad she&#39;s locking now. :)[/b][/quote]
Yep. It is great to read the revelations and epiphanies from the nap-diva.

Fansia
02-10-2004, 08:58 AM
great post as usual. You should write for a living.
Wish i could write english like that.

This one older white musician had freeform blond locs hanging just past his knees.that&#39;s soooo cool
i once saw a white man with blondreddish hair with ff locks also past his knees.

ini
02-10-2004, 05:58 PM
wow ... that was beautiful to read

ChocolatChaud
02-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by PrincessDrRe@Feb 9 2004, 06:37 PM
I began to look at things that other people called "ugly/nasty" (locs, little/no/light makeup) and see the beauty in it for myself. Little did I know that most of the things that were perceived as "nasty, ugly, or evil" were actually just beautiful.

I actually love my hair now, and with that, I now truly love myself. Not conforming to someone elses definition of beauty, but the definition that was given during the beginning of time.
ITA

soleil
02-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I agree with LBellatrix that having locs is definitely a positive and beautiful awakening...an awakening where the journey is awesome. I feel as though I have been asleep before my natural journey began - but once I became natural and then decided to take the loc journey, the awakening has been a wonderful trip with many great sights along the way and many more to happen:) To quote Bellatrix : "West Side Story" music here: "Something&#39;s coming, something good/If I can wait..."

...what an awakening !

..Soleil :)