PDA

View Full Version : Stylists in Connecticut?

Azion264
03-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Are there any natural salons, or stylists that specialize in Natural Hair in Connecticut?
Thanks!!! :P

nappturallymeRG
03-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Are there any natural salons, or stylists that specialize in Natural Hair in Connecticut?
Thanks!!! :P

hey girl, you know i've been wondering the same thing..because I live in NY but go to wesleyan u. in middletown..and as you prob. know, its in the boondocks. Anyway, I don't know the answer to the question but I think its yes because I did a google search and I believe I came up on one or two that claimed to specialize in natural hair. My search was "natural hair stylists in CT." or something along those lines...
Goood luck.
But you know what? If you have a car, just go to NY- there's a TON of them around Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan.

Natural-Tee
04-13-2003, 03:15 AM
I just did the big chop today and I went to Hair's Kaye on Fitch Street in New Haven. They also do twists, maybe you could check them out if you're still looking for someone.

dbrownsugar
04-22-2003, 02:42 AM
I know what you guys are feeling. I live in CT but I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY. It's hard to find any African American shops of anykind. I'm in the process of trying to get some recs for salons in Brooklyn. I give up on CT. The drive to Bklyn isn't that bad.

dbrownsugar
05-07-2003, 02:12 AM
There must be more than one place in CT!

thisisme
05-14-2003, 04:44 AM
nope there isn't. i've looked everywhere for a good stylist when my hair was relaxed! now that it's natural...i give up.

dbrownsugar
05-15-2003, 01:41 AM
thisisme, so what have you been doing, where have you been going? If you've been going to NY, any suggestions? Also do you notice many sistas going napptural here in CT? I've been making a point when I'm out in stores, malls, clubs, etc to see if there are others and there seems to be very few? What have you noticed?

gyenyame
05-19-2003, 10:32 AM
I go to school in New Haven and I normally do my own hair, but one of my friends who is natural gets her twists and other styles done at a place called Authentic on Whalley Ave. I am going to be going there for a trim, so I can let you know what I think of it, but my friend's hair always looks really nice and she gets protein treatments and what not there as well. Peace, g

thisisme
05-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by dbrownsugar@May 15 2003, 01:41 AM
thisisme, so what have you been doing, where have you been going? If you've been going to NY, any suggestions? Also do you notice many sistas going napptural here in CT? I've been making a point when I'm out in stores, malls, clubs, etc to see if there are others and there seems to be very few? What have you noticed?
i haven't noticed too many fully natural heads around the CT. i've seen some good weaves (so good in fact that i didn't know they were weaves until the ladies told me when i complemented them).

since i've been natural i've pretty much done my own hair. i've gone to a shop to get my hair trimmed once and the lady, who can actually style pretty well, kept trying to rip a comb thru my head. when i explained how to comb it she ignored me. i like her as a person, but my head was pissed at me.

but my hair is still pretty short and i can maintain it myself. either i put products in it and wear a curly fro, or i take about 1 and 1/2 hour to twist it up.

one of the ladies that came to the CT napptural get together does hair at Westfarms Mall in central CT. maybe u want to PM her i think her name is wannabenatural. there is an older woman that does hair in windsor locks and she is wonderful, but your wallet will holler when u go to pay.

so all in all i've just given up on finding a good stylist, w/ reasonable prices, that books appointments appropriately. am i asking too much? :lol:

nena1
05-23-2003, 12:37 AM
I live in CT. I've been to Authentic in New Haven. They do a nice two strand twist. But..... I went to them to start my locks and it came out nice. It was with the comb/coils. Then, when I went back for maintenance, they would re-twist it with this homemade (store-made stuff) which left white stuff in your hair. You had to be picking this stuff out of your hair constantly. And it also left your hair really greasy. NO! it wasn't gel. They tried that too and the gel didn't work.

A friend of mine went their as well. She also was newly natural so she had questions about how to maintain her style and what not. The girl couldn't even answer the questions w/out getting an attitude.

Now, 7 mos. later, I drive to Brooklyn and go to Authentic Roots on Dekalb!

A few sistah I work with go to Summer Illusion in Bridgeport, CT. They seem very pleased. $50. per visit for loc maintenance.

dbrownsugar
05-23-2003, 01:11 AM
When I was relaxing I found some CT "stylist" to have an attitude like you bothered them by asking too many questions about your hair or a particular style you wanted. I think I will look into Authentic Roots in BKLYN I don't mind the drive.

Natural-Tee
05-30-2003, 04:13 PM
I notice alot of women are fully natural with twa's in CT. I'm still doing my hair on my own and I don't care to drive to NY to get it done so I'll be on the lookout for more salons once it grows in some more :)

BTW: Will there be another CT get-together soon?

Natural-Tee
06-29-2003, 05:19 PM
:D Bumping up to see if anyone has new info.

dbrownsugar
07-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Looking for new information also. I previously said I was gonna try Authentic Salon but somehow I forgot all about it. I have an appointment at drama enducing Curve Salon in Bklyn on 7/3. I'm going for a consultation and maybe a cut to give some shape to my hair. I'm staying away from the Silkiner. I'll post my own review 7/4. I'm going to write Authentic Salons information down so I don't forget about it. I'm down for trying new things/places.