View Full Version : My Top 5 Essential Oils For Skin Care

NappilyInLove
12-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Wellness Site
Leah R. Patterson
BellaOnline's Wellness Editor

g

My Top 5 Essential Oils for Skin Care

Aromatherapy and essential oils are one of my favorite subjects. As an herbalist, I’ve studied essential oils extensively and as an avid "creative person", I’ve played with them in all sorts of ways. I've made my own perfumes for both spiritual reasons and just because reasons. I've created therapeutic blends to help with a bad coughs and overstressed muscles.

I’ve found in fact, that essential oils are some of the most versatile products of nature. I’ve used them for needs across the board of emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual concerns. In my work as an aesthetician, essential oils play a major role in the therapies and treatments I perform for my clients. They function in amazing ways with the skin and bring about long-lasting healing results, sometimes when nothing else my clients have used has worked.

In fact, look in the ingredients of some of your most trusted, effective skin care products and I bet you will find an essential oil or two. Many times this is the “secret⠢‚¬Â or at the least an important key to their greatness.

So with all that said, I’m going to share with you some of my most favorite essential oils for skin care.

Sandalwood (Santalum Album) This is a great oil for acne and skin infections in general. It’s a powerful antibacterial and anti fungal agent. I use a few drops of it in a clay mask base. Use a teaspoon full of betonite clay, about half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 5 drops of sandalwood. Mix all this together and add more clay or vinegar to get a creamy consistency. Apply this all over your face and neck and let sit for 5 mins at least. Rinse off, tone, and moisturize:). Doing this at least once a week should give you great results.

Clary-Sage (Salvia scalrea) This is another great oil for acne and it also does a wonderful job with wrinkles and fine lines as well. I add this oil to whatever moisturizer I’m using with my client (making sure there are no counter indications to this first). Generally 3 drops to every pump/squeeze of moisturizer is more than enough.

Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) This oil works wonders for wrinkles like Clary-sage and is also indicated for disturbed and sensitive skin, as well as broken capillaries and can be used on either oily or dry skin. This is another one that can be added to the moisturizer. I also add this to the toner, which I generally make of either half apple cider vinegar and water (for oily skin) or just water (for dry skin). 3 drops in 1 oz is a good amount to start with.

Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) This is another one of my favorite wonder oils. Tea tree oil is wonderful for spot treating. It clears up pimples in a two days or less and greatly reduces their reoocurence due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory power. I use tea tree oil directly on pimples that one would be otherwise tempted to "pick at". It’s also a good additive to a toner, preparing it the same way as the geranium toner above.

Lavender (Lavendula Angustifolium, officinalis) Most people know a lot about lavender already, so I struggled with whether I should include it in this list. It’s a wonderful skin care oil though and so it belongs here, especially since it is the great balancer. Lavender does an excellent job at balancing oil production in the skin as well as clearing blemishes and evening skin tone. It’s indicated for all skin types and even helps to hydrate dry skin. Lavender can be used at any step in your skincare regimen. It works well in a scrub, toner, mask, or moisturizer and it’s absolutely fine to use it in all four. Five drops or less is a good amount to begin with in a tablespoon amount of any of these. This is also one of the oils that can be used directly on the skin without worry so there is very little issue of using too much.

These are 5 of my favorite "go to" oils for skin care. There are of course other great oils and in the future, I will definitely share more with you all. These are the ones I encourage you to start with though! Have fun enhancing your health and getting beautiful!

Dreamyb
12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks for the info nappilyinlove

it's good to know that i've already been taking advantage of two of the beneficial oils :)

i'll check out the sage next

masoesa
12-27-2006, 07:49 PM
My skin needs this. Thank you!

avalonchocl8
12-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I really like Mary Kay's cleansing products and some of their cosmetics. I also really like MAC cosmetics. I have used both brands for years with very good results.

newmoe1
12-28-2006, 02:59 AM
thank you i wasn't sure that lavender remover scars and that rose hip was not working for me i will try it and get back to you

newmoe1
12-28-2006, 03:09 AM
thank you i wasn't sure that lavender remover scars and that rose hip was not working for me i will try it and get back to you

MsTee
12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I thought EOs couldn't be directly applied to the skin?

Well now that I know this, I will definitely branch out and try the lavender on my skin, and see what the results are!

nicoko00
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I've never tried essential oils. Where should I go to buy these types of products? I get my Aloe Vera Gel/Juice at GNC. Would they have EOs...I'm clueless :dunno:

NappilyInLove
12-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I've never tried essential oils. Where should I go to buy these types of products? I get my Aloe Vera Gel/Juice at GNC. Would they have EOs...I'm clueless :dunno:
[/b]
Check out a healthfood store,whole foods, and places that sell crystals and things like that...
:)

newmoe1
12-29-2006, 02:03 AM
[/b]
they have EO at GNC also i get some of mines there when i dont feel like going to the helth food store and some times you can catch a good sell the last one i got was buy two get on free.

nicoko00
12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks ladies :)

NappilyInLove
12-30-2006, 12:38 AM
The tea tree oil is really helping my skin out...I have oily skin,and acne really be taking it's toll...but here is my regimen..that is really clearing my skin up

Wash face with Dr.Bronners Tea Tree Oil Liquid Soap...or a natural soap like aloe with vitamin e,clay soap or black soap...
Then I use my facial tonic..that I made myself...
I made it using

1 cup spring water
4 oz aloe vera juice
4 oz rose water
5 drops lavender e.o.
6 drops tea tree e.o.
Combine all in pot..heat gently....when it gets warm..cool completely then put in clean bottle
Put small amount on cotton ball and put on face..
Then I will put some moisturizer on...
If I have some pimples..i will put some tea tree oil on a q-tip and put on my pimples..dries em up..so i dont have the urge to pick....
:)

newmoe1
12-30-2006, 05:45 AM
what are you using as a moisturizer?
what i have done since reading this thread is wash with my gentle sunshine soap with tighten the skin ands cleans the pores. then i put lavender on the marks . the lavender alone was drying so i put the rose hip on after as a moisturizer it works well, i will wait a week before i say i see changes to the marks, a few have gone the dead skin come right off when i wash. but the one on my jaw are the ones i want gone. i will keep you posted.

NappilyInLove
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
what are you using as a moisturizer?
what i have done since reading this thread is wash with my gentle sunshine soap with tighten the skin ands cleans the pores. then i put lavender on the marks . the lavender alone was drying so i put the rose hip on after as a moisturizer it works well, i will wait a week before i say i see changes to the marks, a few have gone the dead skin come right off when i wash. but the one on my jaw are the ones i want gone. i will keep you posted.
[/b]
Jason's Vitamin E .... to heal my skin..yeh keep us posted :D

newmoe1
12-30-2006, 07:53 PM
vitamin E might be to heavy you need something that with be absorbed in to the skin not sit on top and clog the pores. jojoba is good macadamian nut is good sweet almond also. or as i am doing you can get the rose hip EO it is more like oil than EO you can put it on after the lavender dries.

Mirkat
12-31-2006, 02:48 AM
this is awesome! :)

cristalena
12-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I also add this to the toner, which I generally make of either half apple cider vinegar and water (for oily skin) or just water (for dry skin). 3 drops in 1 oz is a good amount to start with.[/b]

I've heard of using ACV as a face toner, but does the acidity have any adverse long-term effects on facial skin?

Applejacks
12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
I thought EOs couldn't be directly applied to the skin?

Well now that I know this, I will definitely branch out and try the lavender on my skin, and see what the results are!
[/b]

Most essential oils cannot be applied directly to the skin. Lavender and Tea Tree oil are 2 exceptions to this rule.

N1SEXYTING
02-07-2007, 06:54 AM
BUMP :D

cmrobe
02-14-2007, 04:30 PM
My skin is exxxxxtremly dry, Any suggestions on what I could use to combat this problem?

shishicarter
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Most essential oils cannot be applied directly to the skin. Lavender and Tea Tree oil are 2 exceptions to this rule.
[/b]
That's true- but even those should be diluted with water if you are putting them on your face (the skin is a little more sensitive)

stmed
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
My skin is exxxxxtremly dry, Any suggestions on what I could use to combat this problem?
[/b]

Hi I hope this helps.
I live in Boston and my skin is very dry and sensitive. Even moreso since I'm in my forties. I haves started using pure grapseed oil on my skin. I bought the grapeseed oil form GNC. If it still feels dry, and when the temperature is very cold out side, I add Burt Bee's Carrot Day Cream over it.

Stmed

ChaoticSoul
03-02-2007, 02:39 AM
My face broke out something terrible this past month. I think I had an allergic reaction to a Sally Henson product for facial hair removal. Terrible bumps on my upper lip and chin, which spread to cover my entire area under my bottom lip. I had begun applying Tea Tree oil neat to those pimples but i felt it was too strong so I mixed it w/ Aloe Vera and Lavender EO and I applied it to my pimples maybe 2x daily and it has really dried them up and made them less noticable. I try my best not to pick at them because they've become so dry. I try to use jojoba oil to moisturize that area but it doesn't seem to be heavy enough to handle it but I'm very pleased w/ that combination to combat acne...Just my 2cents

Natural Kinks
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
@ChaoticSoul - I used jojoba oil for a long time, ran out and tried olive oil on a whim. Olive oil is a bit heavier than jojoba and works MUCH better for me. It has done wonders for my complexion. My mom thought that I had on makeup when I went home. I use it right out of my kitchen - the Bertiloli (sp?) brand.

Tress Me
04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
i am currently using a rose hip seed oil, tea tree, aloe vera gel/juice and vitamin E gel mixture which my face is absolutely loving! i have been testing it out for a week to see if it really works and it does. i got a nasty blotch from using Kiss My Face Olive & Lavender soap and i wanted to cry! :( after the blotch i realized why i stopped using soap on my face 15 years ago <_< ! it dried my face out something terrible.

i have been washing my face with http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/87794/200.jpg. depending on my mood, i will use witch hazel as a toner. then i apply http://aubrey-organics.com/images/products/090A.jpg to my blotch and other marks on my face. i let that sit for a minute then i rub it all in, including my neck. after that, i put on my mixture of: FOTE Aloe Vera Gel, GNC Vitamin E Gel, GNC aloe Vera Juice and 100% pure Australian Tea Tree Oil from Whole Body. after it dries, i put a small dab of tea tree oil directly to the blotch, brown spots and any blemishes i see are trying to make their prescence known. it doesn&#39;t sting and dries up very quickly.

my face has not broken out yet and that is extremely rare. plus my blotch is fading fast and it has only been around 6 days, compared to my usual month or three. <_< i hated using all those fading creams and products loaded with tons & tons of alcohol & hydroquinone. it seemed the alcohol made my marks darker before they began to fade. my face is extra soft and very rarely overly oily like before. Moe has turned me into a homemade recipe junkie so i will have to go back to the lab and start creating my own everything! :)

meccadon
04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi I hope this helps.
I live in Boston and my skin is very dry and sensitive. Even moreso since I&#39;m in my forties. I haves started using pure grapseed oil on my skin. I bought the grapeseed oil form GNC. If it still feels dry, and when the temperature is very cold out side, I add Burt Bee&#39;s Carrot Day Cream over it.

Stmed
[/b]

^You can get great natural oils in the gourmet cooking aisle of your grocery store too! I have scooped up Organic Coconut Oil, Macadamian Nut Oil, and I&#39;ve seen Grapeseed Oil there too along with many others! If it&#39;s food quality, it can defintiely double for your skin. Like Natural Kinks said, ain&#39;t nothin&#39; wrong with taking the olive oil straight out the contianer :yes:

ETA: I also found some natural product sat Whole Foods that have avocado oil in them too. They may help with dry skin.