PDA

View Full Version : Hairloss Help: Cortisone Shot Therapyworks!

sohaircrazy
12-25-2006, 11:28 AM
A Cortisone Injection (performed by your liscenced dermatologist) is a steroid- injected directly to the site where the hairloss or thinning occurred.

for best results 4-6 consecutive treatments are recommended, more in cases of overlapping or larger areas of hairloss.

The monthly cortisone shot injections really help if you are having an episode of hairloss related to chronic conditions such as Areata (where periodic hairloss occurs naturally) OR if it is related to non-scarring style related hairloss such as traction alopecia.

But regardless of the nature or origin of your hair loss, you must stop stressful styling practices, such as too tight styles or use of sewn in or braid-extensions and chemicals altogether or your treatable hairloss may become permanent. If hairloss is permanent but confined to a small or treatable area a hairtransplant might be possible (for transplant information, try bosley.com or foundhair.com).

Women of Afircan and Asian heritage have the HIGHEST rates of preventable hairloss and style-related hairloss of all ethnic groups. Thanks to this site and others like it, We now know how to care for our hair without heat, chemicals or fake braid-extensions. But, we must be consistent or our rates of permanent hairloss will climb. It's up to you.

tuzor
01-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks sohaircrazy. I am currently receiving injections monthly in my scalp. My hair is growing back and since I am not relaxing it appears to be staying on my head. I am curious to see what happens in the future.

Najeni
01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
A Cortisone Injection (performed by your liscenced dermatologist) is a steroid- injected directly to the site where the hairloss or thinning occurred.

for best results 4-6 consecutive treatments are recommended, more in cases of overlapping or larger areas of hairloss.

The monthly cortisone shot injections really help if you are having an episode of hairloss related to chronic conditions such as Areata (where periodic hairloss occurs naturally) OR if it is related to non-scarring style related hairloss such as traction alopecia.

But regardless of the nature or origin of your hair loss, you must stop stressful styling practices, such as too tight styles or use of sewn in or braid-extensions and chemicals altogether or your treatable hairloss may become permanent. If hairloss is permanent but confined to a small or treatable area a hairtransplant might be possible (for transplant information, try bosley.com or foundhair.com).
Women of Afircan and Asian heritage have the HIGHEST rates of preventable hairloss and style-related hairloss of all ethnic groups. Thanks to this site and others like it, We now know how to care for our hair without heat, chemicals or fake braid-extensions. But, we must be consistent or our rates of permanent hairloss will climb. It's up to you.
[/b]

I am curious about the shots but I am scared! Are there side effects to the shots??

jaibee
01-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I've dealt with alopecia areata on and off for years. The spots always grew back on their own. About 2 years ago I had a large patch of it and all the hair in the back of my head near the nape fell out, so I decided to do this. I had four rounds of treatments. The shots make the area really tender, so it hurts more with each injection. After my fourth round I got these bad pains on one side of my face so I stopped getting the shots. But my hair did grow back, but it grew back a COMPLETELY different texture than the rest of my hair - it grew in straight/curly, like baby hair. I had another small patch fall out again after the treatment, but I used some ors fertilizing temple balm on it, and while the results are not as fast, it has helped the hair in the spot regrow.

browniepoints
02-28-2007, 05:49 AM
I had cortisone shots and they really did make all my hair grow like crazy. I dicontinued them when my hair started growing back because I hate needles and I was so ashamed. The doctor was nice but everybody else made me feel like a leper. So far I havent needed them but if I do I will bite the bullet and find a new Dr.