PDA

View Full Version : Another Locs Discussion

niknik
02-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi, everyone. I just started my locs last week and I am excited, anxious, and scared about how they are going to come out. If anyone has any opinions or advise on what and what not to do, it would really help. Ooh yeah, I have been napptural for about 10 months and I have never looked back. I love everything about it.

W8N2XHL
02-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Congratulations niknik and welcome to Nappturality. First and foremost you are off to a great start by coming to this site. You can become addicted to this site. There is also a lot of information so you may become overwhelmed.

First tell us what was your starter method? Did you do this yourself or did you seek a professional? What product was put on your starter locs? What other products are you currently using?

Some general rules of thumbs are:
You CAN wash your locs every two weeks. Just be very gentle.
Never twist (if that is your maintenance) more than once every two weeks minimum. Overtwisting can cause breakage.
The following is a hodge podge of info:
shampoos that cost under $2 (Suave/V05 clarifying)
beeswax is not recommended
embrace the fuzzies (its part of the loc process)
pure, natural and essential oils work wonders
the search function of this site is a treasure to be discovered
you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner

That's all I have for now, I do invite other NP Vets to chime in

Peace in blessings in this your new journey.

thenewme
02-11-2004, 04:11 AM
Kiana7, Thank you for that information. I am new to locin' also. My bradelocz are 3 days old and I am very excited. You are so right, this site is addicting. Being Natural is addicting. I have been natural since 1998 when I had a TWA then grew it out using 2 strand twist. After awhile, I felt like I needed to go to another level. My decision is not a hasty one. It was thought out. :thumbsup

NikNik,
We must encourage each other and others starting their journey. This site offers alot of info to keep ya positive. :-)

Be positive to yourself and others will follow!

chakita1
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Kiana has laid a great foundation for you. Just wanted to say congratulations to you, Niknik, on your nappturalness and on your decision to loc. It is a journey indeed, but one that is full of self-discovery. Enjoy the journey! It is a beautiful one.

silkgirl2
02-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Congrats on starting your locs. I would just say be patient

naps2locs
02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Congrats on your locs. I just started mine two weeks ago and i go for my first retwist on Friday. I'm rather excited!! :thumbsup :):). When they were first started i couldn't stay out of the mirror.

niknik
02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the congrats. And yes, this site is addicting. Also, I have a question about the time range to get hair retwisted. Should it 2 weeks or 4? :doh

niknik
02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the congrats. And yes, this site is addicting. Also, I have a question about the time range to get hair retwisted. Should it be 2 weeks or 4? :doh