PDA

View Full Version : Thick and Thin

shellybean
02-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Coming out of lurk mode to post in this forum for the first time. :) I will be starting braidlocs this weekend. This will be my second try. The first time I started them, I kept the braids in for about a month before I took them out.

The woman who braided my hair made all the sections/partings even, but because of the different textures of hair, my braids were different sizes. After a month, even with washing, shrinkage, and “fuzzies”, the size difference was noticeable. I have 6-7 inches of mostly 4a/b hair. However, I have a few “trouble spots” that are 3-something. Most of my braids were a good size—about straw diameter. The others were extremely thin--half the diameter of a mouse cord.

For this second attempt, should I adjust the section sizes to make the braids more consistent in size--which would mean some really big sections in a couple of places--or make the partings even and worry about the thin locs later? (I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I haven’t completely made up my mind about whether I will be latching or twisting for maintenance.)

alma2254
02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
HI -I had that problem. The hair around the sides and top seemed denser and more tightly curled than the bottom half so I made my locs on top thicker.

Maybe you can start them off all the same size and later join them if needed -Its hard to tell what size locs mature into when you start because they expand so much -mine blew up thick ,and I wasn't expecting it.

MuthaErth
02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
my locs were started with braids. the front is different texture than the back so after a yr i have locs in the back and "braids" in the front. i'm not concerned.