PDA

View Full Version : I liked your fro better?

ShekinahSoul
02-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I was reading a thread some one posted about when did you begin accepting your natural. And I was looking at my driver's license picture which still has the pic I took in 2001 when I still had my fro. And my fro was rocking I must say :bis I then remember being in a check out line last year and the cashier looked at my driver license pic and then back at me and first off didn't think it was me. I'm serious. :smug (if I had a relaxer in that pic then I could understand their doubt. But hmmm fro.. locs...fro... locs. It could NOT be that much of a stretch in their mind to connect the two. I mean I still have the same FACE. :oops: )Anyway they finally accepted that yea that was me and then proceeded to tell me they like the fro better. This was the only person to have ever said they liked the fro better than the locs. Anybody ever tell you they liked your previous natural better than your locs?

mochacaremel
02-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Nope. But I think that's because I haven't been natural for that long. And I just starting loc'ing so...they still look like twists.

Mocha

aquababie19
02-12-2004, 02:21 PM
just my momma.

Llyons
02-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Not yet...I'm still having people tell me I need to press my hair.

Sunchild
02-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Never had anyone say that.

My DL and Student ID picture has an afro puff in it too, and I always get the look up look down look up look down action.

My environment has changed so many times in the last year, that most of the people I know only know me with natural hair, and now there are some who only know me with locks, only about 3 people I know, knew me in my relaxer days.

blacque_gurl
02-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Kinda.. my friend who started my locs couldn't get over the fact that i wanted to loc my hair when my loose napps looked so good. "But it's so pretty like this!" was all she kept saying. She almost tried to talk me out of it -- good thing i was really ready to loc.
So when she saw me last weekend (after two weeks), she had to admit she was wrong and commended me on finding the style that "fits me."

My environment has changed so many times in the last year, that most of the people I know only know me with natural hair, and now there are some who only know me with locks, only about 3 people I know, knew me in my relaxer days.
Interesting. Do u mean u physically moved so much in the last year, or by environment do u mean your personal space / inner circle? If u don't mean u physically moved, this would be my exact case, also.

MuthaErth
02-12-2004, 05:11 PM
i haven't had anyone say this to me. i do move alot (military life) so most of the folks i know have only seen me with locs. and for folks that know me when i had my (jilly from philly puff) LOVE my locs :)

Sunchild
02-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by blacque_gurl@Feb 12 2004, 01:02 PM

Interesting. Do u mean u physically moved so much in the last year, or by environment do u mean your personal space / inner circle? If u don't mean u physically moved, this would be my exact case, also.
A lot of both. Physically I went from undegrad, to working , to quitting, to grad school all in the span of a year. So I have been many different places with new sets of people. Also my inner circle has been chopped and hacked down to a select few.

nottyfreedom
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
maaan. i thought it was just me. half my family who didnt like my lil uncombed fro too much are now begging for it since i've begun locking. my grandmother didnt compliment my locks until i put them on rollers! she is still complimenting me on that. (the nerve). (my right eye just started twitching-lol)!

notty

ChocolatChaud
02-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Hmmm, I don't get "I liked your fro better". I get "I liked your extention braids better".... :rolling Puhlease! Actually these days many people I am around know me only with locks. But my family has seen the many stages of hair I've had and many of them still don't get it....

alma2254
02-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ChocolatChaud@Feb 12 2004, 08:06 PM
Hmmm, I don't get "I liked your fro better". I get "I liked your extention braids better".... :rolling Puhlease! Actually these days many people I am around know me only with locks. But my family has seen the many stages of hair I've had and many of them still don't get it....
I know the feeling :duck

NaturallyJade
02-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I emailed one of my cousins and mentioned I was locking my hair. She replied back, "I hope you are not planning on getting those Jamaican dreads, :-? :oops: no matter how perfect a persons make up is (I don't wear make up) or how professional they look. Those locs always look 'dirty and unkempt'. I had two choices respond to her in a positive or a negative manner. Her email really made me upset and sad. It was obvious she had no clue about natural hair. It seemed her email came out of ignorance. I dopped her some information about the beauty of locked hair, along with 'regular natural hair'. :) I even forwarded this site to her. It seems she was ignorant and had wanted to go natural just had no clue how to deal with her hair. I gave her an education about locks (with the limited newbie knowledge that I know.) This site really has helped me a lot.

All that rambling :) to say, yes I know the feeling. My cousin loved my natural twists, & braided styles better than the locs. Although she told me mine were the nicest she had ever seen. It made me think she had not seen to many locked hairstyles. Her views (about locs) are changing (positive) after our emails/talks so that is wonderful.
The majority of the people like my locked hair better. I did have a lot of natural hair. Most people tell me they can 'see my face now'. :)

Llyons
02-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mzfitbodi@Feb 12 2004, 08:27 PM
I had two choices respond to her in a positive or a negative manner. Her email really made me upset and sad. It was obvious she had no clue about natural hair. It seemed her email came out of ignorance. I dopped her some information about the beauty of locked hair, along with 'regular natural hair'. :)
Dropping some knowledge on natural hair.
...this is how I like to approach the negativity, IF I feel like even responding.

stillwater09
02-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 12 2004, 02:37 PM
maaan. i thought it was just me. half my family who didnt like my lil uncombed fro too much are now begging for it since i've begun locking. my grandmother didnt compliment my locks until i put them on rollers! she is still complimenting me on that. (the nerve). (my right eye just started twitching-lol)!

notty
this is my dad... i got my first non-compliment a few days ago from him, saying i look like one of those 'jamaican rastas with THAT [/I]hair[I]'

i'm like THANKS :-)

amalah9
02-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Nobody ever said they 'liked my fro better'. Lots of people tell me they 'liked my twists better than my locs'. When I ask them why, the answer generally has something to do with: 'It looked like you had GOOD hair when you had those twists'. Now I guess my hair just looks nappy. :lol :huh

Beryl
02-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by amalah9@Feb 12 2004, 07:01 PM
Now I guess my hair just looks nappy. :lol :huh
Yeah. They liked my braids (with extension hair) better because of the euro-aesthetics, IMO. That shiny, silky stuff looks nothing like my sheeny naps. :smug

Funny thing is the very thing they liked about my braids is what I HATED. I hated that slimy plastic fake looking stuff on my head.

You really have to embrace a different mindset to appreciate locs.

LOCKN_IN_AZ
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Funny ,

Just last week one of my co workers told me he liked my fro better than my starter locs.

That same week my roomate told me he liked my locs better because they looked more "Kept"

The thing that I find funny is i never ask for these opinions people just feel like they can say whatever they want.

I finally got tired of my co workers daily opinions and told him i din't give a SH!T what he thought. (probally not the best move but he got the point)

8)

Fauryn78
02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
hmmm...until yesterday my DL showed a "permed me" ...and when people would look at my ID they always said they like my locs better.

rockinlocs
02-13-2004, 06:51 PM
nope...no one has said this to me.