PDA

View Full Version : Why do we as women

afrikankween
01-23-2003, 08:21 PM
hate our menses so much? I do sympathize with some of you who have very painful cycles, but for those of us with 'regular' periods why do 'we' hate our cycles so much.

joy
01-23-2003, 08:23 PM
I love that fact that I have a regular cycle. I just hate the break outs, the sometimes messy panties and having to wait to have intercourse and oral sex when I am flowing heavy. :D Oh, I forgot, I have to alter my clothes around my menstrual because if I am wearing a pad it might look too bulky in the back. One more thing, I might want to soak in the tub and I can't if I am on my menstrual.

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2003, 08:26 PM
I think we hate it so much because our environment and diet causes it to be abnormal(PMS, heavy blood flow, 4-7 duration and painful).

ihgemini
01-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Blessings,
I personally don't hate the cycle. It is rite of passage for all young girls when they become young women. But as stated I have severe pain during my cycle on the 1st and/or 4th day that causes vomitting, diarrhea, and blackouts. I've been prescribed BBC as a remedy but that doesn't work. I'm just about at the point to tell my GYN just remove my uterus. I have completed having children, and at this time in my life I figure WHY NOT!

afrikankween
01-23-2003, 08:27 PM
I think we hate it so much because our environment and diet causes it to be abnormal(PMS, heavy blood flow, 4-7 duration and painful).
I agree! I personally dont suffer from PMS, heavy blood flow, or bleeding for more then 3 days. To me is a spiritual time and I have certain rituals that I enjoy during that time.

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Many people also were never told as kids that it is something good. Some people are told that it is a sin inherited from Eve. So idiotic!

BushBaby
01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't hate my menses it's just that it disrupts my life..lol. I actually hate the first day (the uncomfortable feeling I get)..but after the first 15hrs, I am good to go. :lol:

I wish I had less flow days. I have 5 days...my cousin has 3...that is soo unfair.

AfroPuff
01-23-2003, 09:11 PM
To me is a spiritual time and I have certain rituals that I enjoy during that time.

I don't hate my menstruation time, but it is an inconvienence. I have bad mood swings one week prior to the that time :cry:

What rituals do you do, if they're not too private to share. I think it's great that you celebrate that time of the month.

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2003, 09:12 PM
During her menses is when a woman is most spiritually in tune.

afrikankween
01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
AFropuff they are personal to me, but you can get some good tips from my favorite book Sacred Woman by Queen Afua. Every black woman with eyes should have this book. She has ways of helping you relieve cramps completely not quick fixes like midol and aspirin. Although I am not a vegeterian yet :roll: (damn chicken and shrimp), I do not eat meat a week before my cycle.

LotsOfLocs
01-23-2003, 09:36 PM
I use Queen Afua's tips too.

naturalbeauty
01-23-2003, 10:14 PM
I also use Q. Afua's tips, and my cycle no longer bothers me. Never thot I'd ever say that in my life regarding menses. I'm glad I have info I can pass on to my daughters(when I have them :)

Medusa Negrita
01-23-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't hate my cycle, I just like it better when I am not on it. On another note, I do notice that right before my period is when I my thinking is clear enough to do some pretty good darn poetry during that time. Thought come and flow more freely, which is good because I like to do a lot of rhyming poetry.

I have Queen Afua's book, while it good to read, I haven't intilled any of practices and forget them all. I'm a small bit anxious to start back my period back because I had a prolong flow prior to becoming preg, and my doctor informed me that I was probably going to a 'menstrual change.' He said women have at least 3 menstrual change occuring about every 7 years from the onset and affects flow amounts, intensity, and duration among other things.

Many people also were never told as kids that it is something good. Some people are told that it is a sin inherited from Eve. So idiotic! :lol: You heard any other stories because that's the only one I heard, and almost inclined to believe in.

afrikankween
01-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Many people also were never told as kids that it is something good. Some people are told that it is a sin inherited from Eve. So idiotic! :lol: You heard any other stories because that's the only one I heard, and almost inclined to believe in.
why do you need any stories to be natural and do what comes naturally to women. i do not buy that are cycles are an evil that came from the sin of eve. first i am not christian so that holds no weight with me. secondly, that sounds like some caca used to victimize women, into negative thouhgts about our bodies and are natural processes. outside of this board, many women HATE there menses and see it is bad, negative, and incovenience. this society has set up a nice lil infrastructure to degrade women. there is nothing wrong with your menses. it is very spiritual time if people actually took the time to actually get in tuned and listen to their bodies~ you know actually learning about it. in ancient africa, a menstruating women was the best person to ask for blessings and divinations.

Meka
01-23-2003, 11:12 PM
I hate my cycle. Like a week and a half before my period starts my pms is so bad its like I'm a totally differant person. I have mood swings, depression, and my face breaks out, every symptom there is to pms I have it, its awful that someone has to go through that shyt every month. Meka

Medusa Negrita
01-23-2003, 11:31 PM
why do you need any stories to be natural and do what comes naturally to women.

Yes, I agree with everything you just said. But I may need another story for the same reason it takes me to eliminate the image of the white jesus out of my head. After being introduced and hearing this concept for so long, it kinda hard to eliminate it and just think about something else.

It's funny because I wasn't brought up with strong christian concept nor was it something we actually practice, but those concepts are here and there almost like apart of the pysche, the unconscious and they are default. Granted, in the churches went to, it was never taught directly about Eve sining and being cursed to shed blood because it wasn't one of the scriptures that was dwelled upon. But it was heard often enough from any man or woman when that time of the month came around and they blamed her angry or mad-hatter attidude on her rag and saying it was a curse from Eve. It has been used to relegate women to a secondary position and I often heard it being used to say that women are evil, conniving, and can't be trusted because Evewas the initial one to led Adam into sinning before gd, thus the fall of man being blamed on her.

But I'm sure you know just as much as I do. No biggie tho, I'll be making my own lilttle stories. I'v already made one about why have periods and one for the tooth fairy.

afrikankween
01-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Kwiyet I totally agree. I cant stand to go around some older black men that are in my family, who wont eat food from women who are on their cycles. My step dad used to say, never let a bleeding women cook you anything red. Those old tales are used to subjugate women.

chocol8diva714
01-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Well becuase of a condition, I don't have a regular cycle (maybe once a year). I often wished that I did but, I tend to be the "envy" of my friends becuase I don't have a cycle. As a women having "your cycle" is natural and a part of who you are; however, I understand the frustration with many of the symptoms of having one.....still kinda wishing though.....

Smooches and blessings :P

afrikankween
01-24-2003, 12:02 AM
one of the best points queen afua makes is that, some of the symptoms associated with menses can be significantly reduced or eliminated~ with change in eating habits and various excercises. it does take some work though.

chocolategurl17
01-24-2003, 03:17 AM
I hate my period. Plain and simple, the only part I like is when its leaving and even if I didn't have the bloating,cramping,vomiting,gas, overall "I want to die now" symptoms, I would still hate it because I feel so nasty during that time. It is gross to me really, and when I'm done I rejoice and feel "free" and clean again. I don't consider it a "spiritual" time or becoming "one with my womaness" or whatever :roll: I consider it a burden I must bare. Besides, I am spiritual everyday, I don't need extra bleeding to do be that way.

Just my rusty penny.

erinm
01-24-2003, 03:39 AM
I don't really mind my cycle except for the first day or so when I'm cramping and exhausted and don't want to do anything more strenuous than reach for the advil and nap. It's a little inconvenient, and a little messy but not a really big deal. I think women do tend to treat it like a curse, as opposed to just another one of those human things. There is a lot of shame associated with it-- I find few things in the world more annoying than when a man acts like he's been asked to cut off his right hand when a woman asks him to pick up a box of tampons :roll:.

A lot of people talk about being more spiritually attuned at that time. Personally I don't see it all- I don't feel that way at all. It's usually the time that I am at my least spirtually powerful- but i tend to consider it a time for renewal.

Info
01-24-2003, 03:46 AM
"I don't hate my menstruation time, but it is an inconvienence. I have bad mood swings one week prior to the that time "

Man, you hit the nail on the head with this one! I am so tired, want to sleep, eat sweets, kick hubby out, get rid of the dog--ALL of that! :evil:

brackagirl
01-24-2003, 04:27 AM
You all should read The Red Tent, it's a fictional account of Rachel's life during Biblical times. It really focuses on the women in her family and their role and the sisterhood they shared. They would all get their periods at the same time during the "new moon" and would retreat into a red tent until their periods ended. While in the tent they practiced certain rituals that accutually celebrated their womanhood. I definately had more apprciation for my period after reading this.

blumoonbabe
01-24-2003, 08:06 AM
I hate the fact I don't have one *shrugs* but thats a whole other topic.
what I hate about my period when I have one though, is the fact that I have to wear a pad. I've finally found a pad I like, but my period has never been really heavy enough to use more than one pad a day. I cant weat tampons because they are extremely uncomfortable to me, no matter how low, high, back or wherever it should be. I've never had any pain, mood swings or nausea, etc associated w my period. Maybe I AM just an all out weirdo. Hmmmmm

afrikankween
01-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Blumoon you arent a weirdo!

winter
01-24-2003, 02:21 PM
If you would have asked me if I hated my menstrual when I was in my teenage years, I would have told you plain and simple that I do hate having a period. Now, I wouldn't necessary say that I hate having one, I am not to keen about some of the things that are associated with it. For example, the discomfort and the mood swings (major PMS). I normally have a 5 day cycle and most of my discomfort is on the first day. The first two days I flow the heaviest, I would say that I would go through two pads/tampoons a day. Also, the first day is normally associated with mild cramps. When I was working out at the gym on a regular and eating healthy I remember having mild cramps on the first day. The only difference that I remember is not flowing as heavy on the first two days.

PEBBLES
01-24-2003, 03:25 PM
[b]When I do happen to get mine, I bleed so heavy and it last so long. So I dreaded it and was happy that it dosn't come often.Now I am working on embracing it.

Tami2shoes
01-24-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't hate my menses it's just that it disrupts my life..lol. I actually hate the first day (the uncomfortable feeling I get)..but after the first 15hrs, I am good to go. :lol: .

That's why I can't stand my cycle. I don't mind it, but I feel all grouchy, poofy, etc. I don't feel like going to the gym, I get all PMSy and I just feel overall funky.

I was always taught that having my cycle was a cleansing, spiritual time for whatever reason. My mom used to emphasize the physical cleansing and the mental (sometimes we gotta let the attitude, anger and frustration express itself through PMS).

But all that talking don't help the bloating and the constant trips to the bathroom. :x

eri
01-24-2003, 04:33 PM
i wouldn't say that i hate mine, either, but it is bothersome. i need to put that book y'all are talking about on my list.

Tasha806
01-24-2003, 08:12 PM
I hate that time of the month period (pun intended)! I suffer from very severe cramps, bloating, gas, nausea, mood swings etc. I also just feel tired and just want to sleep. When I used to take birth control pills and didn't suffer these symptoms it was fine but now I feel like I could really do serious harm to someone during this time of the month. :evil:
I have put the "Sacred Woman" book on my list because I need all of the help I can get!

Knottygal
01-24-2003, 11:46 PM
I have no problems with my period besides the zits I get and the leaks at night.

But, I'm always glad to see Aunt Flow when she visits :lol:

winter
01-24-2003, 11:48 PM
I have no problems with my period besides the zits I get and the leaks at night.

But, I'm always glad to see Aunt Flow when she visits :lol:

Aunt FLOW! That is funny! I am going to have to use that one. CUTE!

ChocolatChaud
01-25-2003, 03:55 PM
I noticed when I was on babylon pills(birth control) and I had returned to eating flesh, my periods lasted 4-7 days and I would have bad cramping and back pain, all symptoms of a poisoned womb no doubt. When I returned to my normal eating habits of avoiding the flesh and stopped taking babylon pills, my period lasted 3-4 days and it was light with none of the forementioned symptoms. It's interested to hear people complain about their menses when I on the other hand wish mine were more regular, I have not had my period since November. And no I am not pregnant, that's for sure. I too follow the teachings of Queen Afua.
peace and blessings sistren
ChocolatChaud

afrikankween
01-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Choclatclaud! That is what I am talking about. You also sparked another convo I would like to have about babylon pills. I totally agree.

tran68
01-25-2003, 06:17 PM
I started my cycle at 10 and flowed no less than 8 days until a few years ago....on top of the heavy flow I would barf the first couple days it was a horrific experience, medicine, doctors could do NOTHING.

A few years ago I had a tubal pregnancy and a uterine pregnancy at the same time!! After I lost the second fetus I had a D&C and since then my cycle is 3 days ONLY, but the cramps are horrendous that first day (thank God for motrin) but the flow is REALLY light compared to any of the years I've been menstruating. My daughter will be 10 in June and I'm hoping against all hope that she doesn't have the kind of cycle I did....lawd have mercy it was AWFUL! :cry:

aishad
01-25-2003, 09:10 PM
@afrikankween

This is the last day of a meatless fast for me, and I was considering not eating red meat again when I'm allowed to. (I already don't eat pork) But I was thinking maybe I should eat red meat before my menses starts because of the protein. But, africaknkween, you said something about not eating meat before yours starts. Why do you feel like you shouldn't?

@ChocolatChaud

I did have a period during this fast, and I noticed that while it wasn't lighter, my cramps were almost non-exsistent.

aisha:d

SweetNess
01-25-2003, 11:07 PM
I don't hate my menses it's just that it disrupts my life..lol. I actually hate the first day (the uncomfortable feeling I get)..but after the first 15hrs, I am good to go. :lol:

I wish I had less flow days. I have 5 days...my cousin has 3...that is soo unfair.
Girl please!!
Mine is for 7 bloody days!. :lol: ..lol

SweetNess
01-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Choclatclaud! That is what I am talking about. You also sparked another convo I would like to have about babylon pills. I totally agree.
LOL :lol:
BABYLON PILLS??!! :?
girl you and my boyfriend would get along so well

afrikankween
01-25-2003, 11:26 PM
@afrikankween

This is the last day of a meatless fast for me, and I was considering not eating red meat again when I'm allowed to. (I already don't eat pork) But I was thinking maybe I should eat red meat before my menses starts because of the protein. But, africaknkween, you said something about not eating meat before yours starts. Why do you feel like you shouldn't?

@ChocolatChaud

I did have a period during this fast, and I noticed that while it wasn't lighter, my cramps were almost non-exsistent.

Well aishad the old adeage goes the more you eat things that bleed, the more you bleed. I really feel like I shouldnt eat any flesh~ I am currently working really hard on that. But it really helps with less cramps if I ease up off of meat at least a week before. This is also helping me with my overall cravings for meat.

shay
01-26-2003, 01:15 AM
I started my cycle at 11 and its close to 20 years that I have been dealing with monthly cycles. While I don't hate it, it is an extremely uncomfortable time for me, I get debilitating cramps, where I have had to miss school, work, etc. I also have a heavy flow which well you know what that means. There is also the mood swings and the cravings. I get the chocolate craving horrible, I will get up in the middle of the night and wolf down chocolate cookies with a soda. Something that normally is repulsive to me.
Even with that all said, I still see it as a sign of my my womanhood yet I wish it wasn't so uncomfortable.

elleebeme5
01-26-2003, 03:41 AM
My December cycle started Dec 27. I was still spotting on Jan 3. My Jan cycle started Jan 17. The flow has slowed but I'll wear a regular tampon tomorrow and a pad at through Tuesday. On the heaviest two days, I'm changing a Super Plus tampon every two hours and wearing a maxi pad just in case. But that didn't work last week cause I soiled my clothes through the all of that. What's to celebrate? Thank God I don't get cramps, diarrhea or anything like that.

I understand the role of menstruation in the production of life and that's beautiful. But I'm 45 and when the eggs get old, they get old and quit working the way they should.

EarthTones
01-26-2003, 04:09 AM
I started menstruating when I was 12 and had the most severe PMS every month until I became a strict vegetarian several months ago and also adopted principles from "Sacred Woman."

I was skeptical of the book at first, since I had endured all of the crippling cramps, headaches, moodiness :mad: , hot flashes :oops: , bloating (more like blow-ting because I BLEW up like someone puffed air into me!) and breakouts every month for almost 15 years. My monthly cramps were so bad that I used to get a prescription for a muscle relaxer (annaprox, I am not sure of the spelling) because I used to cry for a hysterectomy every month and vowed to only adopt children!

Since I have adopted a healthier lifestyle, including spiritually and emotionally, I have a significant improvement in the flow of my cycle...less flow for fewer days, NO CRAMPS WHATSOEVER, no bloating, no moodiness, no hot flashes and only occasional breakouts. To be perfectly honest with you, I actually have MORE energy during my cycle. I actually have to chart my cycle now because I don't get the PMS to indicate when it's coming. No exaggeration.

My family and close friends are in awe over the change :angel: ...they had endured the monthly "dark side" :evil: of me for so long, they can't believe it's over!

rozlips
01-26-2003, 04:10 AM
For leaking and flooding overnight, I strongly recommend Always Size 14+ pads. After my miscarriage, I had major bleeding for the first time in my life. It went on for a month. My sister bought these for me and I didn't have a single accident. I can't wear tampons, my uterus is too tilted, but these are the best pads in the world. I hope they don't stop making them like they do everything else I like.

Prior to developing fibroids, I actually liked my period. As someone else mentioned, I'd have a creative surge that was off the chain. I didn't need sleep and would sometimes stay up for days at a time quilting or writing or whatever I was into at the time. AF (After Fibroids) that all changed. I'm hoping that now that I've had a myomectomy, I'll return to that type of period. I haven't really had a normal one since my surgery.

Ladybug
01-26-2003, 05:26 AM
Because I am a raging maniac :crazyeyes: during that time of month. I get all emotional :cry: and my nerves are on edge :mad: , but most of all I feel like crap and I cant fit my clothes.

Sounds like enough to hate it dont you think :lol:

lady1gryphon
01-26-2003, 02:34 PM
I don't dislike my cycle actually I am usually glad to see it when it time. I can tolerate the cramps. What seems to be my problem is the extemely heavy flow. I can go through some super plus tampons along with some thin super absorbant pads for extra protection. I thought the super pad and super plus tampons would be great armor but mother natures constantly reminds me she is in control. While in the drug store looking at the hair care and personal hygeine products I ran across Instead Softcups. Reading.....12 hour protection, disposable....hhhhmmm let me try. Grabbed a box......Great results. I like, I like. I did not have that uncomfortable feeling and the need to check myself while at work. I had previously read about The Keeper but was a bit reluctant to buy online.

For those of you who have a heavy flow or would like extra protections during work, school or play may want to check out these alternatives to tampoons and pad. Please read the warning on Instead Softcups if you are using a IUD.

Instead Softcups
http://www.instead.ca/EN/main.html

The Keeper
http://www.thekeeperinc.com/index.html

afrikankween
01-26-2003, 02:43 PM
I like this dialouge. We have all so many varied experiences, especially those who have some real female problems, like fibroids. Yall have opened my eyes, I have never heard of anyone vomiting because of their cycle, wow!

For those who read Sacred Woman, I need your help finding a passage. I know I read somewhere where Queen Afua said something about not bathing during your menses, but I cannot find that passage for the life of me. Anyone know where it is? Or why she suggested that?

aishad
01-26-2003, 06:50 PM
EarthTones, I take annaprox too! You mean to tell me I don't have to have cramps like this every month!!!! I don't have to call off work and crawl into bed, wishing I could get an epidural?

Okay, that's it. I'm ordering the book.

Azure
01-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Before I started taking bc pills, I hated my period because it made me so sick. I'd vomit, have diarrhea, have monster cramps, and feel hot and cold at the same time. I often missed school or work on the first day of my cycle. This had been going on since I was TEN!

When I turned eighteen, I got bc pills because I had heard that they could make the symptoms better. Well they did -- shortened my cycle to 3-6 days from 5-7 days, cut the pain of my cramps, and killed the vomiting. It's a whole lot better now, though I can still feel really uncomfortable (read: gross and unsexy) on that first day. I guess I'd feel better about this if it tear me up so physically.

Does anyone else feel cramps in other places besides the abdomen and lower back? I can feel them around my pubic bone and down my legs all the way to my feet.

shay
01-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes, I get cramps that start at my abdomen and run to my legs which is one of the reasons that my cycle is a painful time

EarthTones
01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
EarthTones, I take annaprox too! You mean to tell me I don't have to have cramps like this every month!!!! I don't have to call off work and crawl into bed, wishing I could get an epidural?

Okay, that's it. I'm ordering the book.

The book was very powerful for me. I read it during a time where I really came into my own as a woman...and began to accept myself, with all of the faults, strengths, love handles, doe eyes, big forhead (well, big head period!), etc, etc. My monthly was a dreaded occurrence, I used to just pop my annaprox (thanks for the spelling!), crawl into my bed and hope to wake up when it was all over! I really disciplined myself to follow the teachings in the book mentally AND physically...over time, and not overnight, I noticed an improvement.

I think the one thing that really helped me get over my previously agonizing PMS symptoms was the mental strength that I gained from accepting my monthly as one of the many things that makes women so beautiful. It may sound like a bunch of poo-poo, but that is how I have come to see it.

I also did a lot of reading on women in ancient cultures, and across the board...China, Egypt, Greece-Rome, throughout Asia and Europe....women were considere more attractive and desirable during their monthly. I know I was a raging lunatic during mine, so it kinda grounded me a little bit!

Happy reading AishaD...but keep some annaprox handy just in case :lol:

Intice
01-28-2003, 09:52 PM
fROM "African Holistsic Health" by Llaila O. Afrika

"Menstruation is not a normal health state. Menstruation is hemorrhaging.

Basically in his book, he states that traditional Arican women who practiced a holistic diet and lifestyle did not menstruate.

"Menstruation among female animals occurs whenever the female is enslaved".

"Again, natural foods and wholistic habits were the foundation of African cultures, science , medicine, art, music and health. Unnatural male and female behaviors have caused menstruation."

I would put more but I dont feel like typing all that. Check out the book for further reference. A must read!

Anyway, I m not fond of my cycle but Im glad that I have it b/c some pple dont which is considered "abnormal" in today's society. I GUESS OUr bodies have evolved to it since back in the day (thousands of yrs ago).
anywayz, during my cylce, the 1st day I feel bloated and I have a prolonged trip to the bathroom (i'D RATHER AVOID THE DETAILS W/ THAT...lol_) And my bleeding is VERY heavy. I dont know why. I don't consume any pork or beef. I'll go through 5-6 regular pads or 3 nightime pads in 1 day. (during the first 2-3 days. On the 4th day its calmed down. Does any1 else go thru this? Besides the heaviness and the acne and bloating, thats all I go thru. What can I do to alleviate the heavy bleeding?

afrikankween
01-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Intice I have heard that too. I went to an afrikan-centered conference in Atlanta a few months back. Many of the women there, who had wayyyyyyyyy better diets then me, said the samething. Many of them said they had no periods, or it lasted for a day or so. I was like :shock:
Many of them only ate raw and living diets: no flesh, no carhohydates, no dairy~ raw veggies, fruits, and water. Man I saw some of the clearest skin and gorgeous hair while I was there. It was lock heaven! That kind of lifestyle takes a wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lot of discipline.

I met a man there who claimed to be a breath-terian. He claimed he only ate one meal of raw veggies and fruit once every 2 weeks. I dont know about though. :roll:

Dr. Afrika has good book called Nutricide as well.

MyssTress
01-29-2003, 02:45 AM
I've never hated my menstrual cycle. It was never talked about badly either, actually my mother never talked about it. The only thing is the pain.

ollypitts2
01-29-2003, 06:06 AM
When my period first started, I was incredibly embarrassed. I actually hid it from my mother for a year. She was beginning to think something was wrong with me.

As I've gotten older, I don't have cramps or headaches often. When my diet is off, the flow is heavy, I feel lethargic, and its just an unpleasant week. Since I've been more conscious about what I'm eating, I have no cramps, mood changes, and the flow is, on average, pretty light (one day is heavy).

I don't hate menstruating nor do I rejoice over it. For me, its like any other bodily function. It comes, I take care of myself a little more gently during that time, then it goes and I resume my usual activities.

I still get acne breakouts right before the period begins so that's annoying, but other than that I don't have a problem with "the time of the month".

satriela
01-29-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't dislike my cycle actually I am usually glad to see it when it time. I can tolerate the cramps. What seems to be my problem is the extemely heavy flow. I can go through some super plus tampons along with some thin super absorbant pads for extra protection. I thought the super pad and super plus tampons would be great armor but mother natures constantly reminds me she is in control. While in the drug store looking at the hair care and personal hygeine products I ran across Instead Softcups. Reading.....12 hour protection, disposable....hhhhmmm let me try. Grabbed a box......Great results. I like, I like. I did not have that uncomfortable feeling and the need to check myself while at work. I had previously read about The Keeper but was a bit reluctant to buy online.

For those of you who have a heavy flow or would like extra protections during work, school or play may want to check out these alternatives to tampoons and pad. Please read the warning on Instead Softcups if you are using a IUD.

Instead Softcups
http://www.instead.ca/EN/main.html

The Keeper
http://www.thekeeperinc.com/index.html

i am always in the market for a better product. give me the scoop on these things?

thisisme
03-15-2003, 08:24 PM
i have hated my mentral cycle forever. i have everything. i cramp about 2 days BEFORE my period and they continue all the way through the seven days. I have a full heavy heavy flow for 6 of the seven days. i usually throw up at night during the first couple of days even if i haven't eaten. i become more tired than usual and have to down advil to even become remotely functional.

not pretty at all. they only time i had any relief was when i worked out everyday in high schoo b/c i was on the track team. the cramps lessessened a bit.

queenie
03-15-2003, 08:58 PM
In spite of cramps, cravings, and crabbiness. I am always OVERJOYED :D to receive a visit from my friend each month, without fail, 7 days after the full moon. It means that I am not pregnant ( I am pleased with the size and dynamics of my little family) and my hormones are functioning as they should. I have noticed that when I exercise daily( and I mean every single day ) , eat with good judgement ( HOT SALSA to get the salty~ hot I crave instead of General Tso's Chicken :) ), stay hydrated ( water and vegetable juices NOT coffee !!!) , my symptoms are immensely reduced.
When I don't do the aforementioned things to care for my body,
my body doesn't care for me EITHER !!!

wannabenappy
03-15-2003, 11:40 PM
hate our menses so much? I do sympathize with some of you who have very painful cycles, but for those of us with 'regular' periods why do 'we' hate our cycles so much.

Why?

Mood swings, breakouts, hot flashes, more mood swings, bloating, having to work vacations or other social actvities around it (the last thing I want to have to worry about is me being *****y, bloated and bleeding!) Oh, and did I mention mood swings?

I just hate the way it makes me feel and I feel sorry for the people - especially my bf - who have to be subjected to me during that time of the month. Put it to ya this way - I'm not a fun person to be around during my menses! :cry: :evil: :twisted: :mad: :x :drinking: :fist: :evilbat: :2gunfire: :onfire: :crazyeyes:

nappyandhappy
03-16-2003, 03:39 AM
I hate getting my period, but I probably wouldn't hate it as much if I didn't have horrible cramping. The cramping doesn't happen on the first day, it happens on the 3rd or 4th day, and when that happens I feel like I'm dying. Birth control pills don't help, the prescription that I used to use didn't help. I've taken upwards of 6 ibuprofin or naxproxin, or sometimes my father's pain prescription. It's horrible. Last month, I sweated so bad from the pain, my underwear was soaked. I had to take my clothes off, I was on my hands and knees crying and my niece was scared to death. My mother and father were thinking that they were giong to have to take me to the hospital. My mother didn't realize how bad my cramps were (it's not like I hadn't told her before), but this was the first time she actually saw me suffering from it. So, if it wasn't for the cramping I'd be able to tolerate it.

Deej
03-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Once again I have learned something here. I have suffered as a teen with severe cramps that made me puke and cry. Now as an adult I have been dealing with extreme PMS. I don't hate my period but it makes me very uncomfortable, always thinking to myself if I sit down in public, am I leaking? will there be a BIG RED spot when I get up?, will I mess up another sheet at night...it's a very annoying time of the month.

Now, all I have to get the books mentioned on here and use them.

MuthaErth
03-16-2003, 05:58 AM
i don't hate my cycle NOW but before i gave birth i had painfull cycles with vomitting and the whole nine! now my oldest daughter who is 15 has very bad cramps with vomitting the 1st day of her cycle (sometimes vomitting) but always really bad cramps the 1st day and my 13 yr old has cramps the whole time she is on. i'm gonna pick up the books mentioned and see if me and my daughters can 1 get along up in here while we PMSin and 2 not have cramps. i'm slowly changing our diets and i can see the difference already.

curlygirl
03-16-2003, 04:27 PM
I agree that the Red Tent is a book all women should read. It made me understand my cycle more and understand why it is hard sometimes for me.

I don't hate my period but like others, I hate the way my body responds. My periods been over for 3 days and I still have a sore spot where I had a fibroid tumor. It's always sensitive during my period. I think a lot of my symptoms will be alleviated w/some pelvic floor work/chakra work that I am doing.

khamedra19
03-16-2003, 08:43 PM
I like this dialouge. We have all so many varied experiences, especially those who have some real female problems, like fibroids. Yall have opened my eyes, I have never heard of anyone vomiting because of their cycle, wow!

For those who read Sacred Woman, I need your help finding a passage. I know I read somewhere where Queen Afua said something about not bathing during your menses, but I cannot find that passage for the life of me. Anyone know where it is? Or why she suggested that?

I don't know where in the book that passage is, but I've heard that suggestion before. The reason one is advised not to bathe during the time they're bleeding is because you're sitting in water with blood in it. The blood is not pure and gets pulled back into your body when you sit in it. You want the blood to flow out and away from the body. So, showers are reccommended.

carlasher
03-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Sheesh! I wish I did have a normal cycle. I have PCOS so my cycles can be somewhere between 40 - 100 days long. I have these god awful PCOS symptoms, (cystic acne so bad it sometimes hurts to sleep on my face, facial hair I am always waxing, and weight problems. I have to work out almost 7 days a week to stay at a healthy weight and ovarian cysts.) along with insulin resistance, being at risk for high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, etc. I have to take a synthetic hormonal to bring my periods on or I would put myself at risk for uterine cancer. The side effects from those are not so great either (hot flashes, severe mood swings suicidal tendencies, more cystic acne, excessive bloating (10 lbs worth of water in 2 days) dizziness, blurred vision and headaches. Although my cycles are long, I feel like I have PMS all the time on top of that.

Bring on the 28 day cycle!

naijamodel
04-21-2003, 11:38 PM
i actually do not have too many problems with my period. i get cramping on the first day EVERY month and sometimes for like an hour on the last day as well. the first year was HELL, I had demon cramps but they slowly began to reduce to little gremlin cramps. I've learned to deal with my period especially as i grew up in a society where cramps were not taken TOO seriously and PMS is considered a sort of Western woman thing - no offense. My mother also had INSANE pain ALL her life so she is not overly impressed by crying and writhing and lying in bed. i deal by taking even primrose religiously starting like 6 days beforehand and I do not deny myself ANYTHING I crave when I get my period - nothing at all!!!, I make sure I plan and do all I have to in the afternoon so I can a 45 minute shower and go to bed really early to get a goodnite's rest. I also put some ibuprofen by my bed and some water. one thing I have learned is NEVER go around with a full bladder on your period if you get cramps cos that makes it so much worse. anthing hot (temperature) helps too.

mrandmrsmer
04-22-2003, 02:08 AM

I think it's not so much the actual bleeding, okay, well, maybe for some it is, but it's EVERYTHING ELSE that comes along with it. Maybe y'all can testify to this, too, but if all my period included was bleeding without pain, feeling bloated, being irritable and/or craving sweets/salty stuff, and who knows whatever else, I'D BE COOL WITH IT. But, alas, that's not the case, and maybe that's why ol' Aunt Flo is wholeheartedly met with deep, intense hatred by the majority for the female populus. LOL :)

afrikankween
04-22-2003, 02:43 AM

I think it's not so much the actual bleeding, okay, well, maybe for some it is, but it's EVERYTHING ELSE that comes along with it. Maybe y'all can testify to this, too, but if all my period included was bleeding without pain, feeling bloated, being irritable and/or craving sweets/salty stuff, and who knows whatever else, I'D BE COOL WITH IT. But, alas, that's not the case, and maybe that's why ol' Aunt Flo is wholeheartedly met with deep, intense hatred by the majority for the female populus. LOL :)
Mrandmrsmer some of those problems can be circumvented, it just takes a lot of disicipline.

blakstarrgoddess
04-22-2003, 03:28 AM

Mrandmrsmer some of those problems can be circumvented, it just takes a lot of disicipline.
@kween~I know exactly what you're talking about.I'm working on it.(my habits of eating toxic food)
mrandmrsmer~yes, the bleeding I didn't mind but not heavy bleed . :mad: It would just be the cramps, the mood swings, everything.I like this can't be right.

interplanetjanet
04-22-2003, 04:14 PM
I agree! I personally dont suffer from PMS, heavy blood flow, or bleeding for more then 3 days. To me is a spiritual time and I have certain rituals that I enjoy during that time.

Lucky you :roll:

mrandmrsmer
04-22-2003, 04:57 PM
I guess I shouldn't complain too much because my period only lasts 2½ to 3 days with minimal or no bleeding on my third day, and since I've been exercising more, eating better and drinking tons of water, it's not so bad. However, when I was a teenager, I used to have those HORROR periods, even once when I threw up, and I'd be too sick to move the on the first day. Yuk! I might pick up the book from Queen Afua one of these days and read up on how to ease some of those symptoms related to our cycle. :)

Twistie74
04-22-2003, 07:55 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but it can sometimes interfere with your wardrobe (don't you DARE wear light colored pants on the first day of your period!), your social life (kinda gross to keep going to the nasty dive bar bathroom with the door that doesn't latch every half hour to check yourself) and your sex life. Sorry, but sex during my period grosses me out to the nth degree.

starchild
04-22-2003, 09:48 PM

I don't know where in the book that passage is, but I've heard that suggestion before. The reason one is advised not to bathe during the time they're bleeding is because you're sitting in water with blood in it. The blood is not pure and gets pulled back into your body when you sit in it. You want the blood to flow out and away from the body. So, showers are reccommended.

whoa, about not bathing, my mom will tell me the same thing, let me tell you a funny story right quick.

When i was young my mother said that if i get wet or my hair wet while i am on my cycle i would die. Okay, so i was about thirteen and my Dad was taking me to get my hair fixed and i thought my cycle was gone and it came back a lil, well, i was too shamed to tell my dad. I can;t get my hair fix cause i was on my cycle. So, i was balling crying think i was going to die, i was secretely saying good bye to everyone, " good bye trees" and etc, well, when i got to the shampoo bowl, i was fighting to hold back the tears and my aunt was like, what's wrong with you? i was like, i am okay, but inside i was balling thinking i was about to die. So i was lying in the shampoo bowl, i closed my eyes and waited for the water to come and when it did , i waited and waited to die, and after about five mintues, i realized that i was not dead and started to smile and get like, woo, well, i didn't die this time. I still believed that unitl about 10 yrs ago!!!