PDA

View Full Version : Winter Protective Style Challenge-part 4

Jazitones
02-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm on my 10th day with my braids and I'm loving it.

http://images20.fotki.com/v383/photos/5/57380/4566941/tightcurls-vi.jpg

cheetarah19
02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Those braids are so cute! I like the way they curl up. I posted my latest update in the last thread. Nothing more to report on my end. Still twisted.

HappyNappiMami
02-04-2007, 09:15 PM
:) Just today i put my hair in a protective hairstyle which is a braided up doo with cornrows all over the edges. Check it out :D

http://public.fotki.com/HappiNappyMami/

iscott555
02-04-2007, 11:52 PM
thank you jazitones for starting pt. 4 I've been so preoccupied with my pregnancy lately that I am just slacking on everything else!

I have my hair back in twists now...I'm so excited because my baby shower is this weekend! I'm thinking about wearing a twist out...unless my mother comes up with a cute hairstyle

Awura Afua
02-05-2007, 05:04 AM
I am in the process of braiding my hair, I think it will probable take a couple days to finish. They are very small; hopefully they will last until March

BlackPearls
02-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Pretty pic Jazi! Count me in. I just put in a few twists last week.

tweetnaps
02-05-2007, 07:46 AM
got twists in for this week

Button2004
02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Did some fresh twists yesterday, album updated. :)

innerbeauty
02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Today starts my 5th week with these box braids. I was feeling kinda lazy today so I just pulled them up out of my face.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/alshab123/100_0590.jpg

Whitley Gilbert
02-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I've sooo fallen off the challenge. :(

Hopefully I'll hop back on soon.

----

ETA: HappyNappiMami, I http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/Amour67.gif your cornrow/puff combo style. Very cute. I'm adding that to my "must try" list for the future. :)

Tress Me
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
i'm still hanging in there with my 6 days protective/ 1 day off. i had to change up my styles because the small flat twists were itching something terrible. and i started to notice my hair coming out at the end of the week. not sure if it was because of the regular shedding or breakage, but i rarely have hair coming out. i've noticed that when i wear my hair out, i have a lot less shedding. i decided to put them in huge french braids or just tuck my ends and always wear a satin head scarf everytime i go outside...with the exception of my one day off.

sassyny
02-05-2007, 11:50 AM
:) Just today i put my hair in a protective hairstyle which is a braided up doo with cornrows all over the edges. Check it out :D

[/b]

Great style! Love the size of the braids...I might just have to bite, maybe twists the ends instead.

AnAffinityFor...
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I'd like to join this challenge. I'm going on my 2nd week with box braids.

babygurl
02-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok well I guess I am up for this.... I put my hair in flat twist for my birthday, Feb 1st, and they are still in... I don't know how long I will keep them, but I have set a goal of 10 days. We will see how that works, pic to come....

jaimuziq
02-05-2007, 03:09 PM

[/b]

Great up do, you've got skills.

MsTee
02-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I need to wash my hair...it's real itchy for some reason!

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it afterwards. I want to try box braids again, but they take so long! UGH

Kat Nappydeen
02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Today starts my 5th week with these box braids. I was feeling kinda lazy today so I just pulled them up out of my face.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/alshab123/100_0590.jpg
[/b]

How much longer are you going to keep them.?

Well....Im beginning my second week with this set of braids.

carboncopysue
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm joining...I finally found a regular stylist to do my twists for me...

This girl put some tiny twists in my head. I had them put in January 27th....trying to keep them through the end of February. I liked the way she parted them (almost diamond-parts, as if weave were put in) so I can manipulate them and not have them favor one side (which ususally happens when I do them myself).

The pic's kinda fuzzy (camera phone), but here are the twists the day I got them done:

http://media.pixpond.com/11df7q.jpeg

Sue.

Chyna Black
02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
@innerbeauty, you are gorgeous sis!! Your braids still look good!

I put in some kinky twists extentions, so I am all new mommie proud of myself. Took me four to five hours, stop counting fall asleep. Sooner or later I will post pics in my album.

My baby has the flu but she is still in box braids. May have to wash sooner once she starts to feel better, because right now she is not sleeping in her bonnett or scarf. Them BB are all over the place.

Debonaire
02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
@carbon those twists look great! I'm happy you found someone trust worthy. I haven't yet but I'm on the hunt.

I finished my twists early this morning. What an ordeal!! Now I remember why I kept my hair in braids/extensions in the winter last year. My hair was a tangled angry mess. But its moisturized and protected now. :)

Yonique
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I know I'm late but count me in, I'm on my second set of twist since Dec 30th so I might as well join. :)

frumny2nc
02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm still in. I just put in a new set of twists sunday night after wearing a twistout for the weekend. I cannot believe that I have been in this challenge this long. But it seems to be doing my hair some good. It is finally beginning to get cold out here and it helps having my hair twisted. I just put on a scarf, tie it in a ball in the back and go! Sometimes I wear a hat (if the outfit calls for it :D ) Good Luck to all!

curlycoilyfroily
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
My hair and I hate cold weather.

It was like 70 degrees around Christmas time. What HAPPENED?! :crying:

I'm conditioning tonight and retwisting. Hopefully the twists won't freeze and crumble off tomorrow.

iscott555
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I still have my twists in...I probably won't be posting much because I am in the early stages of labor and can go into active labor at any time...I'm thinking about retwisting these twists though because they are sticking out all over the place because I have been too lazy to clip them down :lol:

curlycoilyfroily
02-07-2007, 10:08 PM
iscott, you better take care of yourself while you're away from NP. doctor's orders!

Hope you have a safe, blessed delivery! February babies are the best! :wub:

jaimuziq
02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I still have my twists in...I probably won't be posting much because I am in the early stages of labor and can go into active labor at any time...I'm thinking about retwisting these twists though because they are sticking out all over the place because I have been too lazy to clip them down :lol:
[/b]

Take care of yourself sis. Can't wait to see pics of the baby. :)

cher79
02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
My hair and I hate cold weather.

It was like 70 degrees around Christmas time. What HAPPENED?! :crying:

I'm conditioning tonight and retwisting. Hopefully the twists won't freeze and crumble off tomorrow.
[/b]

Shoot, where are you at? Seventy degrees at Christmas? I need to move there, LOL (but it's cold now. Ugh). Lawd, I hate cold weather. The other day the high was 2 degrees!

I've been wearing twists since November and I did a twistout in December, and now I've been in twists for a while. I just redid mine on Sunday, and this time I braided them around each other. At first I didn't like it because it looked too flat against my head; I stopped tying down my hair at night, and now it doesn't look so flat and I actually like it. I've even gotten a few compliments ^_^ . I don't have pics yet, though (well, I do, but they're not developed yet, LOL. See that's why I need to get a digital camera. I've been saying that forever, but I STILL haven't done it).

@ the expectant moms--congrats and have a safe delivery!

speakeasy
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
My twists are hanging in there. It's been 18 days, and I have a long way to go. I'll be rinsing them this weekend. :blush: Nothing special here.

cheetarah19
02-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Yay iscott!! I'm wishing you a quick and healthy delivery and really good pain meds (if you want them).

As for me, my twists are still in. They're about 13 days old now. I can't decide whether to take them out this weekend or wait until the middle of next week. There's a flat twist, 2 strand twist combo style I want to try next weekend and wear until the end of the month. But I'm lazy and really don't feel like doing anything to my hair.

MsTee
02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Congrats iscott! Can't wait to see pics! :wub:

I wore a flat twist/box braid updo combo the past week...I recently updated my Fotki (finally!)

I love my twists...they are good standbys...but I like to be innovative! I need more styling ideas...guess I need to lurk in some Fotkis this weekend. :)

whatawhat
02-10-2007, 09:27 AM
MsTee - I love your hair. It's very pretty and full. I think I'll watch Lovelymissyoli's tutorials because I want to learn how to flat twist but mine are always VERY loose. There is no definition.

I'm loving this challenge. Just last week I was about to chop all my hair off even after it has grown because my hair is in the stage where it's too short for so many styles. I was truly frustrated. However, I have all my hair. I'm trying to learn how to post pictures so I can share them. Right now my hair is cornrowed in the front and box braided in the back. I wish I could keep my styles in for longer than 2 weeks but my scalp will not allow it. Next Friday I might try comb twist/single strand twist/finger coil - whatever you want to call them. It'll give my hair line a break so it doesn't start breaking off.

Thanks so much for this challenge. It's actually fun. I live by myself in a city where I know no one so this is my time to explore with my hair and this challenge makes me explore because I honestly would wear a fro and keep going. I'll keep you updated.

MsTee
02-11-2007, 10:17 AM
^^^Hey, thanks! Good luck with the remainder of the challege...you can do it! :)

ajargon
02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Ya'll can count me in! I have really only been twisting once a month, and my hair is not only retaining more length, but it thanks me daily! I might just be a protective styler for life!

cheetarah19
02-12-2007, 01:09 AM
My twists have made it two weeks thus far. They look like locs, but I could care less. I love 'em. Plus I'm too lazy to take them down. But I think I'll do that next weekend so I can wash, DC, detangle and twist it back up. I've got a pretty style in mind. Just gotta see if I have the patience to actually do it.

bigolenapps
02-12-2007, 08:59 AM
i haven't been on a challenge in a while so i guess i'll jump on the bandwaggon....i just had my hair done, have a zillion box braids now. hope to keep them for a month or so...let's hope, crossing my fingers

Yonique
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
My twist are still in, so I guess they will be until this weekend. I was going to re-do this weekend but I got too busy, they are fuzzy, but I don't really care.

Lizz
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm still in. On Friday i took down 12 day old box braids. 12 days is a record for me. I'm usually retwisting my hair every 7 or 8 days.

Since Saturday I've been wearing a puff. My plan is to co-wash my hair tonight and maybe do some flat twist.

I'm trying to hang in there.

iscott555
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey ladies...still no baby...just a lot of pressure and uncomfortableness going on....so that makes me feel like it won't be too much longer...I had my mother put my hair in a braid style so I plan on keeping this in for as long as possible. I still have a couple of more things I want to get done this week...so I need this baby to give me a few more days :lol:

I'm glad to see all of you are keeping up the protective styles....my mother was so happy when she saw my hair! She thanked me for taking care of my hair and was so happy to see how well my hair is doing...that was a proud nappy moment for me :D

carboncopysue
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm still in...my twists have been in for 18 days...they're fuzzy as all get out (I don't cover my hair at night, I'm bad) but I keep them in a bun for work now. Still trying to keep them in at least until March 2 or 3.

Sue.

turnergirl
02-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I've sooo fallen off the challenge. :(

Hopefully I'll hop back on soon.

----
ETA: HappyNappiMami, I http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/Amour67.gif your cornrow/puff combo style. Very cute. I'm adding that to my "must try" list for the future. :)
[/b]

I Agree. I will have to bite this style. In fact it may be the next style I rock. No shame here ladies. :lol: :lol:

I forgot to add my update. Still in this twisted do. I planned to take it down on Valentines day but I will leave it until Friday and then it is TLC all weekend.

AuNappturale
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm still in! My hair is lookin' a lot loc-ish and I'm sooo tempted to leave these in forever. Alas, I wanna know what it's like to play around with healthy hair. My hair feels so good I can't keep my hands out of it. That's probably how they got so fuzzy so soon. The front looks a mess to the eyes of the world, but I could care less. I may untwist tonight and embark on a no-manipulation challenge for a month or two.

Cheet, I can't wait to see this new fabulous 'do.

innerbeauty
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I made it to 5 1/2 weeks with my box braids. I took them down and deep conditioned. I thought that it would be difficult to take the braids out but it wasn't. My hair has definitely retained length and feel/looks very healthy due to these PSC. I have my hair in bantu knots now and I will undo them tomarrow for a curly look. I will post pics later.

MontNuit
02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, I've had these braids in since december 27th and they ain't goin' nowhere until march 9th when spring break starts and I actually have time to take them down. I've been keeping my napps happy with a tried and true rosemary spritz recipe that I dug up from the archives. So it's all good, except for the inch of new growth that I have neither thr time nor the energy to disguise. Oh well! I could look like a disgruntled water buffalo and I would still keep it moving!:)

curlycoilyfroily
02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I've been in a twistout/puff (I know) cycle for the past few days. I've just been too lazy and busy to retwist. Somebody mentioned bantu knots. Maybe I'll do that overnight to switch it up before I retwist. The next set I'm thinking will be loooooong term.

iscott555
02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm still here (and pregnant :D ) my braids are getting fuzzy but ask me if I care :lol:

Chyna Black
02-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Still in PSC with my two week old twist extentions. Lady I is over the flu! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!
She is still going strong with her box braids. We deep conditioned and rinsed them over the past weekend. She asked if we could go until the end of February, which is what we plan before she got sick. I believe I will take them down and twist her up for a few weeks because I feel like playing in her napps this weekend.... :wub:

jaimuziq
02-17-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm still here (and pregnant :D ) my braids are getting fuzzy but ask me if I care :lol:
[/b]

^^^ Glad you're hanging in there sis. My twists are now 6 days old and I'm striving for 2 weeks. We'll see what happens. :)

iscott555
02-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey ladies...I'm still here...I dilated another centimeter yay! these braids are still in...I came close to taking them out the other day but I got too lazy to do that so I just put the braid I took out back in and left it...my mother comes into town next friday hopefully she can do my hair :lol:

carboncopysue
02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Eh, I'm out. Some of my twists were unraveling, so I just took them all out. That was 25 days--not bad. I'll be back next month.

Sue.

mscocoface
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I have about three more weeks and I am taking these down doing either an Aphogee or Henna treatment and then the baggie method for about two weeks, then I am trying to find another protective style to use. I may go with the yarn method this time. I put them in my neices hair and I really like how the look and there is no weight to them. I changed up the front to be careful with my edges and temples.

whatawhat
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I just did finger coils last night and this morning. I want my cornrows/box braid mixture back but I'm going to try to stick it out at least for 4 or 5 days. I think I might resort to my old style on Monday. I really want to try and box braid my entire head but that might be pushing it. Either way, I'm still here.

babygurl
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Well since I haven't done PSC in A LONG TIME, I am taking this one slow. I do a style and keeping at least 10 days, then wash and back in a PS. This has worked for me so far. Wish I had picks to show.... I have been to lazy to borrow a camera. I really hopw this helps me retain some length... and bring back my softness
Iscott555 congrats on the baby, I am due in July!

Debonaire
02-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I've really been slacking on this PSC :( I had my twists in and they looked great. Then I went swimming and surprisingly they held up. But I took them down and had a great twistout and didn't have the energy to retwist. There has to be some kind of PSC with a puff...yea? :unsure:

Blackoutzangel05
02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I would love to join this challenge as well. I do protective styles on the weekend and wear them throughout the week. I started off with braidouts, then I did a twist out and now I have flat twist in the front, braided the back and have a 1/2 wig on. I believe that this is going to be my staple style until April 1st. I will take it out weekly to wash, if needed, but definitely rinse and rebraid. I condition it every night and use a plastic cap to over the braided back to protect it and keep the moisture in. Pics in my album!!!

Savantrice
02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
i guess as long as you're not manipulationg the puff a lot? i dont really know.

i took my cornrows out this weekend...but have been wearing one french braid so i'll join this challenge (late). i'm even kind of donig the baggy thing too....i moisurized the tail of my braid, put a baggie around it and tucked it in and covered it all in a scarf.

cheetarah19
02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm still in. I took the twists down on Monday and have been wearing the twistout since. I haven't manipulated it (at least no with a comb...can't seem to keep my hands out my head). I might wash it tonight and detangle tomorrow. We'll see how I feel. My arms hurt from weight lifting so the idea of doing my hair isn't really appealing to me at the moment.

Jazitones
02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Well tomorrow morning, I'm going to get my individual braids put in. I'm too busy to fuss with my hair and I find this style to be the only protective style (adding human hair) that doesn't dry my hair out.

iscott555
02-22-2007, 12:09 PM
so yesterday I finally had it..I took down a braid at a time and twisted it..so the style is still the same, but its twists instead of braids...I think twists look better on me. I was completely bedridden yesterday....I stayed in my pajamas all day...i was in so much pain...this little girl has to get here.....so I got bored in bed and just did my hair...at some point this weekend I plan on washing and doing a deep condition and then putting some twists back in..we'll see what happens...maybe I'll get lucky and go into active labor! :D

.babygurl congrats! What are you having?

Lizz
02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm still in....I'm getting bord though. I have in 2strand twist. I've had the current set in since Sunday. I'll take them down on Saturda (if I have time), band my hair to stretch it out then I'll twist it up again.

BTW~ I haven't bought any hair products....I'm so proud of myself. Yeah for me! :blush:

curlycoilyfroily
02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I retwisted this week. Nothing exciting has happened since then. <_<

Kat Nappydeen
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Still in it to win it. I think this is my 6th month doing the consistent PSC! Isn&#39;t that great....?!!

Took out 4 week old braids last night--wearing a semi braid out for today. I think I&#39;ll put in twists after I wash tonight and keep them for atleast two weeks and box braid again.

Box braid 4 weeks/ Twists 2 weeks/ box braid 4 weeks repeat. That sounds alright.

GoodT
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I&#39;ve been doing alright for a couple of months... Plaits... I have to redo them once a week though cuz my scalp gets so itchy... But I like them...
http://photos-552.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/230/115/46202618/n46202618_31350552_586.jpghttp://photos-853.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/230/115/46202618/n46202618_31352853_8707.jpg

iscott555
02-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Ok so I now have my hair in two big braids...I took down the twists and washed and deep conditioned my hair...my friend is supposed to do my hair tomorrow....maybe some point I will be having a baby before this hairstyle gets raggedy looking

Button2004
02-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Updated my album the other day with a new twist style, looking good! :)

Dying to try another style, may do so next weekend since I have no plans.

jaimuziq
02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
@ iscott555, glad to hear your doing okay.

I plan to retwist tomorrow. Me and my puff and going to the gym today. :D

UmichPrincess08
02-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I&#39;m IN! I&#39;ve been on a challenge since Jan. 28th and Im currently wearing box braids that I put in on Feb. 17th, I believe...still going strong...this is good for me. I plan to keep these same set in until April 1st. I might stretch my challenge until my bday: July 14th. I want to have as much growth as possible, so I can be like BA-BAMN! *lol* GIANT AFRO!!! and skinniness :lol: Ok, I dont wanna be skinny, but noticeably smaller and fit, and at least definition in my arms...Ive fallen off of that though...I need to get back to it <_<

AnAffinityFor...
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Howdy! I&#39;m still in it to win it. I&#39;ve had my plaits in for 3 weeks. I thought that I could make it until the end of March, but they&#39;re too frizzy and starting to loc. I&#39;ll take them down at the end of this month, deep condition, and braid it back up.

MsTee
02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I&#39;m trimming my ends, clarifying, and deep conditioning tonight...gonna put my hair in a quick flat twists into chunky twists style.

4real
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
i had some medium twists and flat twist mix & match. I wore a twist out the last couple of days. I am having trouble keeping a style in for more than a week. which is fine with me but i wish i could commit longer. i am about to go to the gym and then wash my hair and try something different.

oh and i got a trim two weeks ago and my hair loves me for it.

lil_lightbrite
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I think I&#39;m going to join this challenge... I&#39;ve been rockin two strand twists for 2 weeks now.. Just did a hot oil treatment and retwisting any twists that came loose... I want to keep them in for at least a month...

Debonaire
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Miss Popularity you keep me going. I had a ton of time to kill today so I figured that I&#39;d stop being bad and put my hair away. I tried my hand at doing flat twists all the way back. I always just do the front because I&#39;m a whim and my arms hurt too much. I toughed it out though and they look really good. I&#39;ll put some pics in my fotki in the hour or so. :)

...and IScott when are you having your little diva?? You&#39;ve been preggers forever.

iscott555
02-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Miss Popularity you keep me going. I had a ton of time to kill today so I figured that I&#39;d stop being bad and put my hair away. I tried my hand at doing flat twists all the way back. I always just do the front because I&#39;m a whim and my arms hurt too much. I toughed it out though and they look really good. I&#39;ll put some pics in my fotki in the hour or so. :)

...and IScott when are you having your little diva?? You&#39;ve been preggers forever.
[/b]

Who you telling?!??! :lol: I feel like I&#39;ve been pregnant forever....this little girl is definitely a diva and has let me know that she is going to arrive when she feels like it :lol: My due date is exactly 1 week away so hopefully I will be carrying my baby in my arms soon and not in my belly. I have a doctor&#39;s appt tomorrow so I&#39;m hoping that I will have made more progress.

I have my hair twisted and I&#39;m hoping to leave these in for about a month...my mother is coming out here on Friday so I&#39;m counting on her for the upkeep of my hair :D

speakeasy
02-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I took out my twists last night. Earlier today, I washed and conditioned. I&#39;m wearing about 10 fat twists, in preparation for a braided style.

Lizz
02-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I&#39;m still in. I&#39;m wearing 2strand twist that I&#39;ve had for about 9 days now. I really need to wash and retwist my hair but I&#39;m soooo lazy. My hair is getting fuzzy and I feel a little unkept eventhough I kind of like the fuzz look. Hummm, what does that mean? Why am I liking the look but feeling unkept?

I&#39;m not sure when I will get a chance to wash it. I&#39;m thinking maybe Friday?

ajargon
02-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Still in it to win it. Isn&#39;t that great....?!!
[/b]

I was thinking the same thing! I have known that my hair likes to be left alone, but sometimes that&#39;s just hard. HOWEVER, Ya&#39;ll are continuing to encourage me, and I am really keeping a lot of my growth. Much less breakage. I am really liking the idea of twisting 1x a month, w/ touchups as needed! It&#39;s certainly freeing up a lot of my time as well! :D

Blackoutzangel05
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I am still in. Right now I have 2 strand flat twist all the way down and have a 1/2 wig over that. My routine is pretty simply. weekly i wash, condition, dc, oil and let air dry. Then the next day I do my PS and rock that for a week. I want to wear PS for a year and see how that helps me with transitioning and new growth. I know that I will not be wearing 1/2 wigs in the summer months so I have to find some nice PS&#39;s that I like I was thinking twistouts but is that considered a PS if its only twisted at night???

HapENap
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I&#39;m reaffirming my commitment to this challenge. I&#39;m currently wearing a flat/two strand twist style that I put in last Sun (2/18) I&#39;m hoping to finish out the wek with them and wash, deep condition, hot oil(maybe) this weekend.

I say reaffirm cause I had two weeks that I wore my hair OUT completely. I&#39;m talking puffs and afros galore. I knew I should but I just...couldn&#39;t...resist. It started off with this one warm day we had and the urge just overwhelmed me. I hope ya&#39;ll and my napps can forgive me for the sin I have commited!

That being said I"m back on track! YAAAY

michelle1908
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I&#39;m still hanging in here. I&#39;ve been able to wear my twists for a full 2 weeks. Then, I wash and retwist.

turnergirl
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
It may not seem like it but I am still in. I wore my hair "out" last week but it was mostly in some variation of a bun. I wore a wash and go last saturday but that was because I was in hotlanta and it was rather warm. I am deep condition tonight and do something even if it is huge twists pinned into an updo of sorts. I am aching to wear some mini twists but I think I will hold off until April.

missCONGENIALity
02-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I finally put twist back in my hair after wearing my hair out for a few days. My hair is growing very nicely and I cannot believe how big it is getting. I plan to wear protective styles non stop until April. I have a show and am not sure how I am going to wear my hair just yet.

Kat Nappydeen
02-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Box braid 4 weeks/ Twists 2 weeks/ box braid 4 weeks repeat. That sounds alright.
[/b]

Modified. I&#39;m going to take the twists out after just one week (Friday), only because I want to jump on the protein conditioning boat and see if I see more improvement (my hair looks better, but I still want to eliminate the pesky split ends I continue to have).

Then I&#39;ll braid it up for 4 weeks.

Keep it up, everybody!

curlycoilyfroily
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
See, what&#39;s really keeping me from being successful in this challenge is my lack of style ability. :boohoo: I really wish a) that my hair wasn&#39;t straight in the front so I could box braid or something and b ) that I could do something besides two strand. I love my twisties, but I&#39;m ready to hit everybody off with a new fly style! Maybe I&#39;ll work on that over spring break.

*sigh* Just random musings. I&#39;m glad everybody&#39;s still hanging in there, though.

iscott555
02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey ladies I have a question are there any mommies here? I was just wondering how those of you with young children in the house find time to do your hair..of course my baby isn&#39;t here yet but I&#39;m trying to get all the ideas I can before little mama gets here

MsTee
02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
With spring officially beginning in the near future, this break in the weather is getting the best of me! It is mid week, and I am already itching to unravel these twists and rock a fresh twist out...especially since I just bought a rack of headbands! :lol:

jaimuziq
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
@ MsTee, I know what you mean. It was 75 here today and I was itching to wash n go.

iscott555
03-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes winter is almost over! I&#39;m still here and pregnant :( Do any of you ladies plan on wearing protective styles for a little while longer or is this month your last month wearing protective styles for a while?

jaimuziq
03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
@ iscott555, I think I will try to go longer because I have gotten lazy. It&#39;s nice not having to worry about my hair. My twists are so convenient. :D

4real
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
i know winter is technically almost over but it doesn&#39;t look like in chicago when there is still ice and snow on the ground. it has warmed up some. regardless i may be in my last protective style for a bit I am wearing cornrows in the front and boxbraids in the back until i go out to California for a wedding. When I come back it will be after springs official start date so we shall see what&#39;s up then. I love spring.

runrunrunner
03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
yeah...winter&#39;s almost over
but i want to join this
and if the challenge wont be going on
i&#39;ll just keep going with it myself.

i finally found a way to make my twists look decent
lol
so, i&#39;m going to keep them in for a while.
i did them last night
with the intention of taking them down for a twistout tomorrow because i&#39;m going somewhere
and then RE-do them on the 7th to wear as an ongoing protective style
but then i changed my mind and decided to keep these twists in rather than re-doing them two days later haha.

i could never get my twists to look decent
they&#39;d always look really scraggily
so i thought maybe it was my hair,
i learned that it was the method i was using to do them
but this time they look great
dry twisting on pre-moisturized, stretched (banded) hair
works best for me

HOORAY.
you know,
i&#39;m having a lot of hair success these past few weeks
finally found my holy grail products, methods and regimens (after over a year of being natural)
finally found a way to get my twists to look great
i&#39;m so thankful!!!

i&#39;m planning to keep these in until the end of april
or until i have a good reason to take them out.

happy hair health and growing to ALL

MsTee
03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Did we ever say WHEN the challenge would END??

I think I would continue through this month at the latest...by April, I&#39;ve gotta unleash the fro! :lol:

MahoganySoul
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
yeahhh for the first time ever i can actually get in on a PSC. i haven&#39;t been liking my hair in protective styles for longer than a week but i got micro-braids put in Dec 19th while i was home visiting the family in Kenya. i am working on keeping them in until atleast the end of March. And the way this Canadian weather is acting up i will keeping them in until the end of March. ain&#39;t no spring in sight ladies!! and what with daylight savings this weekend. sigh. ;)
i have been redoing the front and back myself and i wash and condition the braids every two weeks. speaking of which. i feel an itch coming on. my hair has grown so much it amazes me. :wub: i am excited to take the braids out and try all the fun hairstyles i couldn&#39;t before coz my hair wasn&#39;t long enough.
will be posting pics of the braids and post braid hair in my fotki soonish.!!!! :)

Chyna Black
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
WoW!! I didn&#39;t realize winter was over, however I plan to wear some ps until April. My extentions lasted over three weeks, then I rocked a fro/puff for about a week. Last night I put my hair in a flat twist/two strand twist style. Plan to wear this for at least two weeks.

Well my chica was harassing me about length so I did what I can not speak of here! :blush: Now she is wearing a puff. This is her second week with it and this weekend she wants some twist extentions until her birthday at the end of the month.

So iscott555 baby girl made her debut yet? I am praying for you!

Button2004
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Fresh twist today ladies! Check out all of this hair! You guys have to show my album some love! :wub: My momma (who secretly makes snide comments about my hair when I am not around) was beaming at my hair and how healthy and long it has gotten. :)

November 2006

http://images115.fotki.com/v672/photos/5/578125/4240243/DSC03355-vi.jpg

March 2007

http://images21.fotki.com/v577/photos/5/578125/4686350/march0707006-vi.jpg

cheetarah19
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I&#39;ve so fallen off in recent weeks. My twistout has finally transformed into a shrunken fro. I haven&#39;t washed my hair since January. I&#39;m entirely too lazy to do anything with it. Hopefully I&#39;ll get my act together this weekend. On a positive note, I haven&#39;t manipulated it with anything other than some finger fluffing. Picks don&#39;t come anywhere near my naps nowadays.

Debonaire
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Who said winter is over? It snowed like 5 inches here last night <_<. I&#39;m really salty about it too.

Anyways, I still haven&#39;t 2 strand twisted the back of my hair. It&#39;s in a low puff. I&#39;m super pumped that I can use a regular pony tail holder to keep my hair back. Only took 2 years :). I wish I could tell everyone with a snatch back stub of a perm &#39;pony tail&#39; that.

ETA: Button your hair is always fire. I come by your album all the time I&#39;m just too lazy to comment. And :huh: seriously what are you eating because your growth is crazy. Didn&#39;t you cut your hair again only a year ago??!

runrunrunner
03-08-2007, 02:21 AM
when i re-twist next month
i&#39;m going to attempt flattwists
not sure exactly how i&#39;ll do them/what the style will be
but dangit! i&#39;m gonna try!

ariahead
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I&#39;m just dropping in to tell you all how inspiring you are with your beautiful hair. I am as we speak taking a break from putting kinky twist in my hair and I need a little break. I love my hair and all the great stuff I can do with it but man, this is a hard a** ;) hairstyle. My arms need a good three inches for me to do the crown of my head. I have about an hour to go and i&#39;m trying to finish it now but i&#39;m so sick of doing this. Eight hours for three weeks isn&#39;t that bad but i&#39;m so lazy. If I didn&#39;t have to stop after every twist for about ten seconds to give my arms a break i&#39;d be ok. I&#39;m just ranting for a minute. I&#39;m back to it now.

P.S if anyone see&#39;s a girl walking around DC with a head full of Kinky Twists and a Mowhawk right down the middle, Tell me hi. :D kidding..

innerbeauty
03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I put some fresh mini twist in my hair on Mar. 4th. hoping they will last for 6 wks.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/alshab123/100_0705.jpg

ariahead
03-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I put some fresh mini twist in my hair on Mar. 4th. hoping they will last for 6 wks.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/alshab123/100_0705.jpg
[/b]

Your hair is Gorgeous, I wish that my twists would last six weeks. God knows I hate doing them.. :D

NewlyNappyNelle
03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
My hair has not been exposed to the world in a week. I detangled, braided in &#39;dookies&#39;, and kept my hair covered with my scarf. I&#39;m in college and could care less about how I look. (At least this week.) When I go home for spring break, I&#39;ll treat it very well and find a flyy style to come back with. :wub:

MsTee
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
If anybody&#39;s looking for hats and/or snoods, there are some nice ones available for sale at this Fotki:

www.fotki.com/juststand

curlycoilyfroily
03-08-2007, 11:25 AM
My hair has not been exposed to the world in a week. I detangled, braided in &#39;dookies&#39;, and kept my hair covered with my scarf. I&#39;m in college and could care less about how I look. (At least this week.) When I go home for spring break, I&#39;ll treat it very well and find a flyy style to come back with. :wub:
[/b]

:Cool_049: You betta preach!! :afro:

I unleashed my first attempt at flat twists this week. I&#39;ll have to add pics when I get back from spring break.

lil_lightbrite
03-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I&#39;m loving this challenge. My twists are still holding on. In the morning I just spritz my hair with water and leave in conditioner. I think 2nite I will wash and retwist any twists that unravel.

iscott555
03-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok ladies I&#39;m back....and I have my little girl!!!

My mother put box braids in my hair so I&#39;m going to be continuing protective styles indefinitely because I don&#39;t want to get extensions because I probably won&#39;t take proper care of them

I am just so relieved to have had my baby and I will try and post as much as possible

So who&#39;s keeping up with the PSC???

jaimuziq
03-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok ladies I&#39;m back....and I have my little girl!!!
[/b]

Congratulations. :D

MsTee
03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Congrats iscott!

I think this past week was my last official week in the PSC. I co-washed and put box braids in last night. Today, I unraveled them and am rocking a puff. I don&#39;t plan to twist or braid my hair back up. :ninj:

Debonaire
03-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Congrats IScott!!!!! I shampooed my hair with Dr.Bronners and used the Queen Helene Cholestrol treatment in my flat twists/loose hair. I then refreshed the flat twists I had in the front and finally got around to twisting the back of my hair. :)

Ms.Tee you should finish out the month! You&#39;ve gone so far already.

MsTee
03-11-2007, 03:28 PM
^^^Nah, I&#39;m done til next winter...so is my hair. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement though! I hope some of you ladies will go a bit longer! :)

Only1biancab
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I did really good this time. I braided my hair into these mini braids two months ago back around Jan 23. And they still look good to me. I was rollersetting them up &#39;till last week, but now I&#39;m just letting them do whatever. I love when they look fuzzy and I keep twirling my ends. Can&#39;t keep my hands out my hair. I&#39;ll take them down over Spring Break.

curlycoilyfroily
03-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Congrats, iscott! :wub:

My flat twist combo is still here. Today I&#39;ll do something fun with it. I think I can make it until April before I go back to my life with the puff. I can&#39;t wait. :)

Jazitones
03-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Fresh twist today ladies! Check out all of this hair! You guys have to show my album some love! :wub: My momma (who secretly makes snide comments about my hair when I am not around) was beaming at my hair and how healthy and long it has gotten. :)

November 2006

http://images115.fotki.com/v672/photos/5/578125/4240243/DSC03355-vi.jpg
March 2007

http://images21.fotki.com/v577/photos/5/578125/4686350/march0707006-vi.jpg

[/b]

Go&#39;on Ms Button, that hair is growing. :)

turnergirl
03-12-2007, 11:33 AM
I am still in over here. Sporting those box braids. I think they may be in until after Easter I may take them down before. Either way I see the finish line is just before us and I am so excited. I am worried that I have been converted to a habitual protective styler. I am sure I will wear some puffs here and there but I think I will be wearing twists throughout the summer. You all have done the impossible and turned a career shake and go woman to a PS&#39;er.

jaimuziq
03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I plan to continue with protective styles at least til the summer, it&#39;s a matter of convenience now especially while working out. I may do a few afro puffs every now and then too. :)

Debonaire
03-16-2007, 08:41 AM
:ninj: Where is everyone? I know you all haven&#39;t unleashed the fro because of an extra hour of sunlight. I need some company :).

Gena
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Hello to all:
I am joining you guys late in the game but I have had mini twists for 2 weeks now. I will take them down on Saturday and put in mini box braids for 3 weeks at a time until July. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

fro_show
03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I&#39;ve been doing cornrows with my natural hair all winter. Their usually in 7 sections, at the least 5. I give my hair a break at least once week. I may do protective styles in April/May, the rainy month.

lil_lightbrite
03-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I&#39;m still in the challenge. Last night I washed, deep conditioned and trimmed. Trying to hold out until at least the end of the month.

Jazitones
03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah I&#39;m still in the challenge also, I just had micro braids put in.

curlycoilyfroily
03-16-2007, 05:42 PM
I had three good days of a twist out, but now I&#39;m back. And just in time for the strange, wintery mix that has descended upon Philadelphia...

Wise1
03-17-2007, 08:10 AM
I&#39;m on day 3 with twists I do not like :( they look a HAM

innerbeauty
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I am beginning my 3rd week of twist. I have freshen up some of them as time has gone on, so they look pretty good. I will probably try to keep them in for about 2 more weeks.

whatawhat
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I&#39;m still in. I&#39;ve been wearing my hair in a cornrow/box braide combination. I tried box braiding all my hair and I didn&#39;t care for it too much. I guess because parts of my hair are still short. However, I&#39;m loving it. My hair has grown so much during this PSC and I&#39;m scared to stop. I don&#39;t want any breakage to occur. Plus, I like not having to do my hair. With that said, I think I&#39;m going to keep the ps thing going. I might wear an afro once a month or so but overall, I will keep my hair braided up.

runrunrunner
03-17-2007, 08:20 PM
still going!
these current twists have been in for a full week now!
and we&#39;ve got another 3 or 4 weeks to go
before i take them down to wash, deep con and retwist.

i&#39;m excited about this whole leaving my hair alone thing.
it&#39;s something i havent been able to do since i got into this whole caring about my hair thing. hahaha.

it definitely feels good to just chill
and stop picking at your hair so much.

Only1biancab
03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Still like my braids. They looked good today (I redid a few this morning). One lady complimented me on them.

iscott555
03-18-2007, 07:19 PM
hey ladies! I&#39;m still here....I have small box braids in my hair that I plan on keeping these braids in for ahile and just wearing headwraps because I definitely do not have the energy to do my hair...hopefully by my brother&#39;s graduation in May I will be able to rock a fro....

Do any of you ladies have children? How did you ladies do your hair when you had young babies?

runrunrunner
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
i think next time
when i re-do my protective style
i may ask one of my cousins to cornrow my hair
or perhaps i&#39;ll ask them to cornrow the front
and i&#39;ll finish up by twisting the back
i dunno, though
just thinking about it.

Gena
03-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi guys,
I changed my mind about the box braids and put in mini twists instead. I will leave them in for three weeks wash and redo. I plan on keeping this routine until July.

curlycoilyfroily
03-19-2007, 06:49 AM
This weather change has my tresses alll messed up! I just twisted on Thursday and they feel itchy and dry already. *sigh* I would jut wear a twistout today and start over later this week, but I have yoga class. If I have to do a headstand, the fro might present a problem. :unsure:

Debonaire
03-20-2007, 08:00 AM
:lol: @ curly. Fro&#39;s make the best platform, if you will. I can&#39;t tell you how many times I purposely wore my hair ina puff when I knew we&#39;d be doing hardcore crunches in practice. Less neck strain people! My hair is looking quite jacked right now but I don&#39;t really want to go through retwisting the front, boo hoo. This is why I need a stylist :(.

Iscott put your mom to work hehe. It will be like old times.

curlycoilyfroily
03-20-2007, 08:09 AM
LOL @ Debonaire. Last week, I almost snapped my neck playing around with a twistout. I went to balance and slid all over the mat :lol: I think my real problem is I need to practice my poses!

I was tempted to untwist when I saw the sunshine today, but I&#39;m rocking a ponytail with a headband. But I&#39;m telling y&#39;all, if the weather gets any warmer... :afro:

innerbeauty
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
My scalp is itching like crazy. I still have in my small twist but I am getting ready to wash these babies immediately. I will use the stocking cap method so I shouldn&#39;t have too much frizz.

Lizz
03-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I fell off. I haven&#39;t had a protective style for the past week and a half. I&#39;m going to jump back in...the warming weather has got me wanting to wear my hair out... :rolleyes:

iscott555
03-20-2007, 10:16 AM
:lol: @ curly. Fro&#39;s make the best platform, if you will. I can&#39;t tell you how many times I purposely wore my hair ina puff when I knew we&#39;d be doing hardcore crunches in practice. Less neck strain people! My hair is looking quite jacked right now but I don&#39;t really want to go through retwisting the front, boo hoo. This is why I need a stylist :(.

Iscott put your mom to work hehe. It will be like old times.
[/b]

Trust....my mother is the only reason my hair is looking decent right now, but she&#39;s leaving on saturday...I think I&#39;m going to keep these box braids in for a month and just wear a headwrap when the braids start looking raggedy....this little girl is so attached to me I can barely put her down to get something to eat!!!

fever17
03-22-2007, 04:41 AM
bump

anyone else still doing this? its still cold where i live (snowed on Monday) so i plan on wearing protective styles until May.

Chyna Black
03-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Congrats iscott on your baby girl!! :offtop: My niece had a big ole boy on the 15th so March Madness is blessing folks with babies!!! My nephew&#39;s little girl should make it here today sometime, pray for them please! Plus my chica will be ten on the 31st!!!

Anyway, I slipped for a few days. My twists lasted about a week then a twist out for a few days. Now I haven&#39;t washed my hair yet, but next week is Spring Break so I think I will do something to help me through the month of April. My daughter has cornrows but they are so fuzzy sometime this weekend I will do a cute style for her to wear next week.

mscocoface
03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
I have been travelling so I found something that I could deal with until the first week of April which is when I will get back home.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/mscocoface/HairProducts132.jpg
I braided the back and am doing the baggie method every few days.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/mscocoface/HairProducts128.jpg
I french braided the front

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/mscocoface/HairProducts126.jpg
Used a wig and just placed it on the back of my head like a 3/4 wig

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/mscocoface/HairProducts129.jpg
Voila!

I can wash my hair, take this wig off at night and not have to worry about manipulating anything in the mornings or nights. I thought this look was really jacked, not kidding, and I did not care what anyone thought, but I am getting more compliments with this than I did with the long twists I put in.

I am in the middle of planning for a wedding and a move involving 3400 miles. I am trying to remember where I bought this and go find 2 more because I have very very limited time to do anything for the next 5 months besides merging householed and families together.

Ya&#39;ll pray for me. :)

turnergirl
03-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I am officially out of this challenge. It&#39;s officially spring as of yesterday and it is blazing already in the south. At least in the afternoon. 75 to 80 degrees. Anyway, I took my box braids down and was amazed at how full my hair is now how many layers I have grown out and the overall healthy apperance of my hair. Now a great deal of my hair is even in the back even though I had to do a lot of cutting to make that happen. I am loving it. Now I have to start my no cutting challenge. I will do that up until Octover, just light dustings maybe 2 or 3 between that time. Then it will be time for another winter PSC and I will atempt to get rid of more layers. We will see. I am on the way to having a blunt cut. It may take another 2 years but I will get there.

Thanks Ladies I enjoyed this experience with you all. I met my goals and I got to see great progress out of many of you. :wub: :wub:

Oh yeah. I will be in a PS at least 2 weeks out of every month this summer.

jaimuziq
03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
@ mscocoface, I&#39;m praying for ya.

@ turnergirl, glad you met your goals. :) It&#39;s warm here too 80&#39;s for the rest of the week.

I&#39;m still in it. Plan to wash and retwist on Sunday.

Cocopuff
03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh, i didn&#39;t even know there was another Protective challenge going on. I&#39;ve been on my own pc for about 3 months. I&#39;m growing my hair again and I&#39;ve had it braided in cornrows for the past 3 months.

I&#39;m kinda cheating because i have been wearing a wig through out the whole time.

I&#39;m giving my hair a major break and I will probably be doing a PC for the next 12 months. I can already see growth and my hair is breaking much less than before

My hair really needs it.

iscott555
03-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Wow chyna black!!! I will be keeping your familly in my thoughts! I just loooooovvvveee babies!!!

I&#39;m still in the challenge which is not a challenge for me because I am too lazy to do my hair and I have discovered the art of headwraps!!! My mother went out and bought some fabric (so now I can stop wrapping my head in shirts :lol: ) before I only knew how to make headwraps into a bun but my mother showed me the other way to do headwraps and let me tell you.....I have no intentions of doing my hair for AWHILE!!!! I have my hair in cornrows right now and who knows when I will take them down.....headwraps are great!

So yeah I&#39;m still in it...who else is here?!?!

innerbeauty
03-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Still here!! I plan on taking down my twist and wearing a twistout for a couple of days and then I am back to my PSC. I am loving this and it&#39;s just too easy to get up and go. The weather here is beautiful and I am tempted to wear my hair out but not yet..........lazy :P

iscott555
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Still here!! I plan on taking down my twist and wearing a twistout for a couple of days and then I am back to my PSC. I am loving this and it&#39;s just too easy to get up and go. The weather here is beautiful and I am tempted to wear my hair out but not yet..........lazy :P
[/b]

I hear you on being lazy...once the baby goes to sleep all I wanna do is eat and sleep myself! My hair is definitely the last thing on my mind :D I just keep my cornrows moisturized and throw on a headwrap and keep it moving!

Only1biancab
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I&#39;m in new braids and cornrows, soo I&#39;m good to go. They should last another month.

And the takedown was not hard at all! I was so surprised. It still took forever, but I wasn&#39;t frustrated. It went like that. *snap* Doing it over Spring Break might&#39;ve helped. I think it would&#39;ve gone even quicker if I had caught on to doing several rows at a time sooner. Shoo, taking it down was shorter than putting it in. Now that&#39;s a first.

Getting the cornrows didn&#39;t hurt either. And I think I shed a pretty normal amount for two months. So I&#39;m pretty happy about that.

iscott555
03-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I was wondering what essential oils you ladies use....I bought a bottle of frankincense which I like but I was just wondering what else smells good to people

jaimuziq
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, I&#39;m back in twists and hopefully they will last awhile. :)

curlycoilyfroily
03-28-2007, 07:36 AM
I don&#39;t know, guys.

The PSC has been great since I&#39;m lazy. I&#39;ve seen lots of growth. But at the same time, having my scalp exposed tends to result in major itchies and I think I&#39;ve contributed to substantial breakage in a few spots by scratching like an animal. :( I&#39;m contemplating my future in this PSC...and trying to figure out how I can get my hair to grow back strong and healthy all over.

HoneyNut
03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Nice! I&#39;ve been doing protective styles all winter long (twists, and occasional twistouts a day before washing my hair.)

Now I&#39;m on a 4 week challenge, and I plan to deep condition every week. I think this is week two. Since I&#39;m at school, I might have to improvise with some of my ingredients. (It is very hard to find some good ol&#39; full fat yogurt) I think I&#39;ll do a mayo deep conditioning this week. I have a Thursday night class, so i&#39;ll let my hair marinate in some deep conditioner for the duration of the class, and then rinse it out, and do a green tea rinse after.

I&#39;m taking my hair down around the 13th, 14th, 15th of April, and putting in some yarn twists which I plan to keep in for a month. I&#39;ll probably wear my hair out to celebrate the end of the semester, and then I think I&#39;ll keep the protective styles going all through the summer. Hopefully, I&#39;ll retain some length, and some healthy ends.

iscott555
03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice! I&#39;ve been doing protective styles all winter long (twists, and occasional twistouts a day before washing my hair.)

Now I&#39;m on a 4 week challenge, and I plan to deep condition every week. I think this is week two. Since I&#39;m at school, I might have to improvise with some of my ingredients. (It is very hard to find some good ol&#39; full fat yogurt) I think I&#39;ll do a mayo deep conditioning this week. I have a Thursday night class, so i&#39;ll let my hair marinate in some deep conditioner for the duration of the class, and then rinse it out, and do a green tea rinse after.

I&#39;m taking my hair down around the 13th, 14th, 15th of April, and putting in some yarn twists which I plan to keep in for a month. I&#39;ll probably wear my hair out to celebrate the end of the semester, and then I think I&#39;ll keep the protective styles going all through the summer. Hopefully, I&#39;ll retain some length, and some healthy ends.
[/b]

What&#39;s your recipe for your mayo deep conditioning and your yogurt deep conditioning? I would love to try it...also how do you do yarn twists? I&#39;ve heard about them but I have no idea how to do them...is it like doing extensions but with yarn?

Savantrice
03-28-2007, 12:10 PM
i&#39;m still in. i had box braids in for a couple weeks. took &#39;em out and now i&#39;m wearing a french braid that i&#39;ve had in for about a week.
i&#39;m supposed to be attending an Oprah taping with my sister tomorrow. i was debating wearing my hair out for that...but pssshhh...unless she&#39;s gonna let me borrow Andre, i&#39;ll be in that audience with this week old baggied french braid lookin&#39; like :D :lol:

Gena
03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I&#39;m still hanging with my mini twist. The are extra fuxxy like I like them and I have them pulled back in a loose bun and tucked under. I hav also added a decorative (Goody Stay Put ) Elastic headband...I just found these in the drug store last week. They are great...

curlycoilyfroily
03-28-2007, 05:03 PM
:lol: :lol: @ Adora. I&#39;m sure your french braid is the bomb!

jaimuziq
03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
i&#39;m still in. i had box braids in for a couple weeks. took &#39;em out and now i&#39;m wearing a french braid that i&#39;ve had in for about a week.
i&#39;m supposed to be attending an Oprah taping with my sister tomorrow. i was debating wearing my hair out for that...but pssshhh...unless she&#39;s gonna let me borrow Andre, i&#39;ll be in that audience with this week old baggied french braid lookin&#39; like :D :lol:[/b]

:lol: Girl, you are a mess. Have fun at the taping. :)

speakeasy
03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Since my last post in this thread (Feb. 27), I have had my hair styled at Indigofera and worn twists and twistouts.

I am currently wearing a twistout from 5-day old twists. I will be washing and restyling this weekend.

jaimuziq
04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I&#39;m going into my 2nd week of twists. With this rollercoaster weather in Florida, I&#39;m glad my hair is twisted.

Jazitones
04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Although Winter is gone, I&#39;m bringing spring time in with my (still) Winter Protective style.

over 2 months of micro braids. *sigh* I&#39;ve got two more weeks to go before they come out.
http://images24.fotki.com/v799/photos/5/57380/2308329/small-vi.jpg

iscott555
04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
jazitones- I like your braids!

I&#39;m still in it...in fact I&#39;ve joined the cornrow til christmas challenge so I&#39;ll be in protective styles for a while! I will wear my hair out every once in a while but I plan on trying to have my hair in some sort of cornrow style on a monthly basis...wish me luck ladies!!! I&#39;m glad we stuck through the winter! Our hair is thanking us for it

tinykias
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
BUMP
Why not revive this thread (the other one was closed and It would be a waste to let this one go)

So, how&#39;s everyone doing? I&#39;m still trying to hold on to my twists. This Saturday will be 3 weeks.

-tinykias

iggystar
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Hope you ladies don&#39;t believe in such a thing as a "stupid question"....

See, I&#39;m here on the DL. I&#39;m supposed to be working, but this site is the bomb.

This "protective style", what exactly is it?

From what I&#39;ve been reading, in between the work I&#39;m supposed to be doing, it&#39;s a style like braids, twists, etc., that you can wear for a length of time without much styling to your hair.

But does this include say, twists with extensions? These box braids are these all natural hair or extended as well? Someone mentioned a wig. Surely this can&#39;t be included, if so I&#39;ve been doing this for the past 8 months....

nappygift
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Lol, a protective style is simply a way of styling your hair to protect it from 1. the elements 2. your own hand in fro disease or 3. Over manipulation

This includes extensions and wigs/weave although I tend to stay away from extensions because if not cared for properly they do more harm than good

Each person has their own unique protective styles that they do some do extensions some don&#39;t; its an individual thing so as to whether the box braids are natural or extended it depends on who you&#39;re talking about
so I guess you have been doing this for 8 mths :P

alright *update*
totally fell off my psc and wore my hair out for four days, I should be twisting now to make this the last day . . . buuuuut I dunno if thats gonna happen
this challenge is hard work grrr I get bored with my hair styles too easily and I&#39;m sick of twists after wearing them oh i dunno 4 times <_< oh well
i need to learn to cornrow

God bless!

cmesweet
10-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey iggstar..

Protective styles are styles that you do not have to manipulate often. Braids and twists and witout extensions are protective styles. Wearing a wig can be protective, just be careful of your edges. Other styles that can br protective frenchrools, buns and anything else that do not allow the exposure of your ends and/or keep maintenance low.

iggystar
10-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the info ladies! :)

tinykias
10-05-2007, 03:43 PM
How you ladies doing? Saturday will be 3 weeks that I&#39;ve had my twists in.

-tinykias

Kat Nappydeen
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
How you ladies doing? Saturday will be 3 weeks that I&#39;ve had my twists in.

-tinykias
[/b]

Are we racing, tinykias? Jus kidding. Today (or tomorrow, I don&#39;t remember) makes 3 weeks for me, too. I did a quick wash last week, although I said I wasn&#39;t going to. I was getting self conscious about the rosemary oil I use every night. I was bored and re twisted about 15 in the back. I bought a few scarves to cover and pull my hair back....they make me feel better about my hair&#39;s appearance, so I think I can make it for another month.

How long are you planning to keep your twists? Are you washing them?

NewlyNappyNelle
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
I kept my twists in for two weeks... that&#39;s a big deal for me... I&#39;m proud of myself

I need to wash and deep condition though... then back into some type of protective style by Monday

Discodumpling
10-06-2007, 04:57 AM
I kept my last set of braids for 11 days!! I only took them out cause i&#39;m bored and wanted to pet it! That&#39;s a huge deal for me & i&#39;m confident that the next set WILL make it to 14 days!

I clarified & hennaed yesterday. I&#39;ll be DCing for most of the day...but i&#39;ve got a few errands to run before noon...so i&#39;m releasing the fro for a few hours :P

Protective styles until.....??

tinykias
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Are we racing, tinykias? Jus kidding. Today (or tomorrow, I don&#39;t remember) makes 3 weeks for me, too. I did a quick wash last week, although I said I wasn&#39;t going to. I was getting self conscious about the rosemary oil I use every night. I was bored and re twisted about 15 in the back. I bought a few scarves to cover and pull my hair back....they make me feel better about my hair&#39;s appearance, so I think I can make it for another month.

How long are you planning to keep your twists? Are you washing them?
[/b]

Hey Miss Popularity,
I am hoping to keep them in for 5-6 weeks. If 5, it would be 6 weeks after I did the aphogee treatment. We&#39;ll see I hope I can at least make it to 5 weeks and then wear it out for a week or just untwist the ends to wear for a week. Then, treatment and back into some protective style.

Oh I wash them as needed. If they stink or my scalp stinks I wash I&#39;ve just noticed last week that it make them look better after they&#39;ve been washed for some reason.

-tinykias

Debonaire
10-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I also want in on this challenge. I usually do it anyways but its nice to have the support of the board. I did twists last Friday and today I&#39;m going to go find the Aphogee treatment and apply it. Then I figured on Monday I&#39;d start to convert my twists to extensions. Yarn twists of course :).

Ms-gg
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
look what the winter wind blew in! Debonaire! *off to stalk her album*

Debonaire
10-21-2007, 11:20 PM
look what the winter wind blew in! Debonaire! *off to stalk her album*
[/b]
Hehe. I&#39;m always around :ninj:...incognegro of course.

On another note....ohhh my gawwd. It&#39;s really 2am and my fingers are falling off from trying to do these extensions. I want to go to bed but I really want to finish this row :( .

tinyspirals
10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I would like to join. I want to wear small box braids untill atleast next fall, wearing all of those afro hairstyles made my ends very frazzled and I want to give my hair a rest.

sunrise_afrique
10-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I want to join. This week end I put in my first ever box braids. I love this style because I braided a bang and put the rest of the braids in rollers. looks very nice if i say so myself

Debonaire
11-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Bumping for the resistance to old man winter. I will not fall to you!!

tuzor
11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Okay I dont know which winter protective challange I am in but here&#39;s my update. I went and had my hair braided up front and twisted in the back. I was off for a few days. I wore a twistout for a few days.

Debonaire
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Yea I know it&#39;s hard to differentiate between the two. We need a secret hand shake or code or something. I&#39;m still in my Yarn twists and growing extremely impatient with them. Today I added one shell to the end of a twist so that I could some how rationalize it as changing the style up :lol:. Tomorrow, I think I&#39;ll wear a headband or maybe a wrap :icon_thinkerg: and then I know I&#39;m going to go crazy and take them out in the afternoon.

jaimuziq
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Okay I dont know which winter protective challange I am in but here&#39;s my update. I went and had my hair braided up front and twisted in the back. I was off for a few days. I wore a twistout for a few days.
[/b]

Yea I know it&#39;s hard to differentiate between the two. We need a secret hand shake or code or something. I&#39;m still in my Yarn twists and growing extremely impatient with them. Today I added one shell to the end of a twist so that I could some how rationalize it as changing the style up :lol:. Tomorrow, I think I&#39;ll wear a headband or maybe a wrap :icon_thinkerg: and then I know I&#39;m going to go crazy and take them out in the afternoon.
[/b]

:lol: I don&#39;t think it matters since this one will be closed soon due to the 10 page limit, I&#39;ll post in the other one when this is closed. :D

Debonaire
11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Well atleast tell us how your hair is holding up Jai. You can&#39;t just come in and leave us hanging. :winkiss:

MsTee
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey PSC&#39;ers!

Count me in for the season.

This week I wore two strand twists in the front and a bun in the back.

I&#39;m gonna have to browse Fotkis for inspiration because I feel like I can&#39;t come up with any ideas for the PSC! I&#39;m so used to wearing my hair out.

Wish me luck...I&#39;ll be checking in often!

LadyLibra
11-16-2007, 06:47 AM
i&#39;m jumping onto the bandwagon... just got my hair cornrowed last night (no extensions). :) i would like kinky twist extensions next, but the Mexican beauty supply store i ususally frequent only has 18 inch Marley hair. and that is not long enough. does anyone know if they make it longer? do i have to go to an Asian beauty supply store... i&#39;m not looking forward to that... :unsure: otherwise i&#39;ll just stick with box braid extensions, i guess, and alternate between that and cornrows without extensions.

NewlyNappyNelle
11-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I&#39;m micro-twisting now. I took a week break so now, I&#39;m back in.

NewlyNappyNelle
11-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Twists are finally done... pictures in my fotki.

lea23
11-17-2007, 04:14 AM
I will be joining this group for two reasons: the First being that I am getting harassed constantly at work to do something with my hair. it is always the same people and so I decided to just break down and get some box braids. Second to protect my hair cuz I really have no other idea what to do for the winter and my hair is too short for me to style so Im hoping to let these last for 6wks and then rest and then kinky twists at least until it gets warm out :)

missjade
11-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I&#39;ve had my hair in these cornrowed-box braids for 3 weeks and 5 days. I wanted to make it to 5 weeks+ (end of November), but I doubt I&#39;ll make it past this weekend with this style. I rinsed or co-washed my hair everyday, including a couple of deep conditions on the weekends. Admittedly, it now looks pretty ragged. lol.

I think I&#39;m gonna take this down, wash, fat twist...and rock a fat twist out for a couple of days before I get my hair re-braided again (no extensions). I&#39;m gonna stick with braids throughout this winter challenge cuz they seem to last longer than twists for me.

britni
11-17-2007, 08:06 AM
It&#39;s not too late to join is it?

If not, I&#39;m in! :D

I have my hair in really thin finger coils, which I put in this Monday, 11/12. I made them thin this time for the purpose of having them in until the end of December. I probably should&#39;ve started this sooner. <_<
I have to tighten the top and left side because the roots are unraveling.

Good luck, ladies!!

MsTee
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I will be joining this group for two reasons: the First being that I am getting harassed constantly at work to do something with my hair. it is always the same people and so I decided to just break down and get some box braids. Second to protect my hair cuz I really have no other idea what to do for the winter and my hair is too short for me to style so Im hoping to let these last for 6wks and then rest and then kinky twists at least until it gets warm out :)
[/b]

Leanora,

Why allow other people&#39;s opinions decide what you do with your hair? Isn&#39;t wearing your hair in a &#39;fro "doing" something with it? It&#39;s not like it&#39;s matted to your head and sticking out every which way. Even if it was, it&#39;s YOUR hair! I think protecting your hair should be the primary reason to join the PSC challenge. Admitting that you&#39;re putting your hair away because of others&#39; comments allows them to defeat you. Besides, that will be a temporary "quick fix"...what will you do when you&#39;re ready to remove the extensions? Even as you hair grows, and your texture changes, someone will have something to say, whether they say it to you or someone else. Keep in mind that you can put your hair in protective styles without adding extensions. Besides, the more you work with your hair, the better you&#39;ll become at it, and the more confident you&#39;ll become in it as a result. Just food for thought. I hope you gain benefits from entering the challenge. Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

jaimuziq
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Well atleast tell us how your hair is holding up Jai. You can&#39;t just come in and leave us hanging. :winkiss:
[/b]

Sorry sis. I&#39;m going into my second week with these twists and plan on washing them sometime this weekend. I&#39;m hoping my Gentle Lather Shampoo from JessieCurl will arrive today. We&#39;re already on page 10 ladies, remember there is already an existing PSC thread, here&#39;s (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108254)the link so just jump in. :)