PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Learn How To Make A Website

detshorty05
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I want to make a website for a group I am in. Currently, we are paying a lot of money for someone to upkeep it for us, so I really want to learn how to create my own flash site. Internet searches haven't been helpful. How did you all learn how to make websites?

NappilyEvahAftah
02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey there! :)

You can start here (http://www.w3schools.com/).

blackviper2007
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
In addition to the above. Adobe Dreamweaver has templates. Even though I know html, I'm not very good with the design part, :blush: so I edit their templates to suit me.

Also, especially if it's a business site, you don't want flash on your homepage (takes to long to load, low click through rate, etc)

detshorty05
02-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Is adobe dreamweaver expensive? Where can I find it?

blackviper2007
02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Dreamweaver's $400. They have a 30 day free trial.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

sunschild57
02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
There are many public domain free web templates out there. You might want to use one of them and then use Nvu to edit and tweak them to fit your needs. Nvu is free!

detshorty05
02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
There are many public domain free web templates out there. You might want to use one of them and then use Nvu to edit and tweak them to fit your needs. Nvu is free!
[/b]
do you have any examples of these? Where can I find NVu? :)

sunschild57
02-18-2007, 10:18 PM
do you have any examples of these? Where can I find NVu? :)
[/b]
For webpage templates try this siteOpen Design Community (http://www.opendesigns.org/). To see what Nvu is about and to download it, go hereNvu (http://www.nvu.com/index.php).

I used one of the Open Design Community templates for my site. The template was one of the easy ones, very easy. My site is simple, no frills. I use WS_FTP to upload my website to the server i'm using. Here's my websiteMediaCovenant (http://www.mediacovenant.com/)

HTH

Ebony
02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Check out this site also, very straight forward:

http://www.lissaexplains.com/basics.shtml

SILICONALI42000
03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I want to make a website for a group I am in. Currently, we are paying a lot of money for someone to upkeep it for us, so I really want to learn how to create my own flash site. Internet searches haven't been helpful. How did you all learn how to make websites?
[/b]
YAHOO HAS A PROGRAM FOR MAKING OR STARTING UP YR OWN WEBSITE OR U CAN GOOGLE THIS INFORMATION IF U HAVE A BESTBUYS COMPUTER STORE THEY HAVE PROGRAMS FOR THIS AND THEY R NOT THAT EXPENSIVE

Orlandrea
03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
If you are on a Windows based PC, you can use Microsoft FrontPage. If you are on a Mac you can use iWeb. Both are very easy and you don't have to worry about HTML code.

CocoButta
04-27-2007, 07:46 AM
There are also oodles of free templates that you can use. I use Dreaweaver and FrontPage. Here are some sites for both:

Templates for Dreamweaver (http://www.freelayouts.com)

FrontPage Templates (http://compjason.com/)

I hope this helps.

utamu
05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
If you know a college student, you can have them buy Dreamweaver at their college bookstore at an incredible discount.

detshorty05
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
If you know a college student, you can have them buy Dreamweaver at their college bookstore at an incredible discount.
[/b]

I am a college student. Thanks for the tip. Most of the websites recommended here are still too complicated for me. I don't understand all of these different coding systems

NaturalSerenitee
05-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Detshorty05 --

Hit me up and I can give you free lessons in basic HTML. Flash is advanced web designa nd development and many designers take years to learn it properly. I have been designing for 10 years now and the current trend is static content management systems which are much easier to maintain. I am an expert in Joomla and you really do not need to know any code at all to install and use.

PM me anytime!

BlackPearls
05-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Another great web source is w3schools.com

YorubaQueen
07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
i didn't see the need to make another thread...i have my own website and i want to learn how to build it and take care of it myself. i found this e-course that i can take online with my temp service (it's KForce if anyone else works there :D ) and its free and i was wondering if anyone who knows what i need to create a website could tell me if this is exactly what i need to start off anyway...i'm sorry in advance for the length and thanks in advance for the help :wub: :
Identify the various Markup languages such as HTML, XML, and XHTML.
Identify the HTML limitations, XML advantages and XML rules.
Identify certain concepts related to HTTP servers and cookies.
Identify the situations in which various plug-ins are used.
Identify the steps to create a downloadable file and embed Java applets.
Identify the features of Java authoring tools
Identify the databases, Database Management System (DBMS), and related technologies.
Identify the methods and techniques to use databases with Web sites.
Identify he Internet standards organizations involved in various aspects of the Internet.
Identify how to publish Web sites using various tools.
Outline
CIW Site Designer Part 5: Advanced Web Technologies and Web Site Publishing

Unit 1: Content Creation Technologies
Match Markup languages with the situations in which they are preferred.
Match the limitations of HTML with the situations that illustrate them.
Identify the benefits of using XML as compared to HTML in the specified situation.
Identify the XML code that follows all the rules of XML.
Identify the situations in which XHTML is preferred to HTML and XML.
Unit 2: Server and Client Technologies
Match the ports of an HTTP server with the situations in which they are used.
Match HTTP server administration interfaces with the situations in which they are used.
Match the various server-side technologies with the situations in which they can be used.
Identify the situations in which cookies can be used.
Modify cookie settings by using the Tools menu in Internet Explorer.
Delete cookie files by using Windows Explorer.
Identify the effect of incorporating a particular installation type in a given situation.
Identify the plug-ins that are best suited for a specified situation.
Identify the code to create a downloadable file.
Identify the benefits of using Java applets in a specified situation.
Identify the code to embed a Java applet in an HTML document.
Match Java authoring tools with the situations in which they can be used.
Unit 3: Databases
Match the database types with the situations in which they are used.
Identify the type of query that can be used in a specified situation.
Match DBMS types with the situations in which they are used.
Match DBMS technologies with the situations in which they are used.
Match database products with the situations in which they are used.
Match database tools with the situations in which they are used.
Unit 4: Standards Organizations and Publishing
Match Internet standards organizations with the roles they perform in a specified situation.
Identify the benefits of using a Web-hosting method in a specified situation.
Match the publishing tools with the situation in which they are used.
Publish a Web site by using the WS_FTP Pro tool.
Publish a Web site by using FrontPage 2000.
Publish a Web site by using DreamWeaver 3.0.

Thanks again!!!!!!

taniseka
08-05-2007, 01:44 AM
I just want to say thank you for the adobe dreamweaver suggestion. I needed something quick and easy since (a) i don't know much about making websites and (b ) the org I'm in just needs something basic. Nothing flashy. I downloaded it yesterday, and the site is pretty much good to go.

You all have been a GREAT help.

LovelyLady
08-07-2007, 04:03 AM
Hey there! :)

You can start here (http://www.w3schools.com/).
[/b]

It looks like some of the suggestions and resources here have been of help to some. :D Taniseka, I'm glad you were able to get the web site done!

I wholeheartedly agree with Nappily's suggestion above. W3Schools is one of the best sites out there that will give you a good foundational understanding of many programming languages. Although templates and the various applications mentioned are great, it is always best to have a basic understanding of what goes on "behind the scenes". You just never know when a technical issue will come up. :D

herowneulogy
09-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I would not use Frontpage or Dreamweaver.

Learn the HTML yourself and create you own pages using Notepad. Much more effective.

I was designing websites and making my own images when I was 14.

taniseka
11-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Learn the HTML yourself and create you own pages using Notepad. Much more effective.
[/b]

I had a lil' bit of HTML from grade 9 computer class, but that was almost 7 years ago. I found that the template helped me learn new stuff. Like CSS. I had no clue what that was, but I just manipulated the template, googled up some info, and I have a basic understanding on how to do some things.

I think it's useful if you just want a basic understanding of how things work for a simple design.

eta: my dreamweaver trial ended months ago, but I'm not lost when it comes to editing and updating the site. I'm still happy that I did what I did.

herowneulogy
12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I love cascading style sheets. My brother bought me a book pertaining to that subject matter.

I would suggest you get a geocities site or make your own .html on your website to test out your html skills. I still think Notepad is better because you get to do everythng from scratch and you basically know how your page will look at the end. You can always tweak it, to.

The good thing about css for a website, is that you can link everything to your stylesheet in the {head} {/head}. (replace { with <)

Good luck!

missgee
12-06-2007, 05:49 PM

[/b]

I&#39;ve been designing websites since I was 11. I started with Netscape Composer then eventually moved on to just using plain Notepad. However, I find using Dreamweaver more effective. When it came out, it was a God send.

Dreamweaver basically has everything that notepad has built into the product anyway. Everything, I mean, everything that is provided in Notepad is available in Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver comes with so much more. If one wanted to write the code from scratch, they could do that in Dreamweaver by working in the code mode. So how using Notepad alone is more effective than Dreamweaver is beyond me. One can achieve so much more faster by working in Dreamweaver. If a beginner wanted to take it up a notch and learn the code, they can simply produce their layout in design mode and then view it in code mode and memorize that. That&#39;s how I taught myself aside from tutorial websites. Another advantage that Dreamweaver has besides the fact that most of today&#39;s top web firms uses them, is that it has code validators. Notepad doesn&#39;t come with that. There&#39;s 21043280324 other advantages, but I won&#39;t get into all of that.

And one can see how their layout would turn out either way. There&#39;s not a big difference.

utamu
01-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I&#39;m a web designer and use Notepad++ , an advanced text editor with syntax highlighting, etc. , to code from scratch. However, I do think Dreamweaver is the better choice if you want to put out something simple and clean quickly. DW is also good for making templates - where you can have the same header and footer on all of your pages without having to worry about duplicating code yourself. You can also make changes to the template in one place and the changes will be made on all pages at once. I also agree with missgee that even if you want to just work in the code view, DW provides a good central environment to access all of your stylesheets, html pages, scripts, and images in one place.

The reason why I stopped using DW is because all the projects I work on now involve integrating my code with 3rd party content management systems and I changes can only be seen on the server, not in DW. I&#39;m also anal about how my CSS code is structured and DW tends to move it around in weird ways. But DW still comes in handy once in a while when someone asks me to make small changes to an existing static site.