PDA

View Full Version : Uniformed Occupations

ereshkigal
02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I have to keep my hair off of my collar and out of my face. Technically ponytails are not allowed, nor excessive ornamentation (so I try not to use too many clips).

When I had a 'fro, it was funny to watch my supervisors and co-workers. True, my hair stayed off my collar, but some days it was HIGH. ^_^

Now with my medium-length locs I have trouble keeping them off my collar because they won't all fit into a loc-tail without using a lot of clips.

All tips and issues related to natural hair in uniformed occupations welcome!

Hadasah
04-28-2007, 07:02 PM
You can't use a headband or something like that?

slenderpanther
05-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I am about to start my nursing clinicals next quarter... as my hair grows and I do protective styles like twists and bantu knots, will my instructors be upset?

spiritgriot
05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Could you put your locs up into a french roll, or a variation of that? That would be off your neck yet more "grownup/conservative? " than a ponytail... :) good luck!

slenderpanther
05-10-2007, 06:34 AM
i don't have locs... but my hair is almost shoulder lenght... when i twist my hair it reaches the nape of my neck... I am going to keep it in twists for a while braids too... they said no pins... maybe its ok if i just use black boobby pins? or not those either?

~*welekevu*~
05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
SHAMELESS PLUG: YESTERDAY I GRADUATED FROM THE HELENE FULD SCHOOL OF NURSING AT COPPIN STATE UNIVERSITY! :D

That being said, I wore my huge puff to clinicals with minimal problems. I did have an instructor, when I was in my psych rotation, tell me that my puff was unprofessional, but I put her on blast and put her in her place quickly. As long it does not interfere with safety or job function, I fail to see the problem. I have met a lot of older nurses who think that any natural hair style is unprofessional... you learn to deal with it diplomatically while still being true to yourself. My hair will be natural regardless of how I wear it, so they will just have to deal with it.

;) wele

soblu2
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
a suggestion to avoid using too much clips: why don't you cornrow or flat twist the locs in a pony tail?
it works for loose hair too. would it be acceptable?

ereshkigal
06-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry, I hadn't been on Napp in a while and I didn't realize anyone had finally responded to this post! :lol:

There have been some helpful suggestions. I've actually been out of uniform for a number of months due to an injury, but hope to try the french roll as an alternative when I get back in uniform next month.

You can't use a headband or something like that?
[/b]
A headband will pull it back in front, but not off of my shoulders in the back properly. :(

I am about to start my nursing clinicals next quarter... as my hair grows and I do protective styles like twists and bantu knots, will my instructors be upset?
[/b]
When I was in training, one instructor asked me if there was a way to "tame" my hair. I had it in cornrows. Hmm... :Angry:

Could you put your locs up into a french roll, or a variation of that? That would be off your neck yet more "grownup/conservative? " than a ponytail... :) good luck!
[/b]
That's what I want to try! Just wish me luck. I suck at doing my own hair. :huh:

i don't have locs... but my hair is almost shoulder lenght... when i twist my hair it reaches the nape of my neck... I am going to keep it in twists for a while braids too... they said no pins... maybe its ok if i just use black boobby pins? or not those either?
[/b]
I can use black bobby pins, so I'm going to try those with a french roll.

a suggestion to avoid using too much clips: why don't you cornrow or flat twist the locs in a pony tail?
it works for loose hair too. would it be acceptable?
[/b]
Yeah...If only I could cornrow or flat twist. :unsure: