PDA

View Full Version : Fibroids: Have you had one removed?

brooklynkink
01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Would like to hear about some experiences with removing fibroids. Or getting pregnant after having fibroids removed? What method did you choose for removal?

dembasamba
01-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Several ladies have had fibroids and had them removed. How you get them removed or even if you have to have them removed depends on a number of factors.

If you search the old nappturality board, you will find two threads on fibroids. They contain really helpful information and links.

There are also yahoo groups for fibroids, people who are trying to concieve after myomectomy, and people who want to try to heal from fibroids naturally.

This is a great site: www.repmed.com

Good luck.

xotikloks
01-25-2003, 01:07 AM
On November 11, 2002 I had a myomectomy to have my fibroids removed. I had one HUGE one and about 8 smaller ones. The surgery itself was a success. However, while in the recovery room, my blood pressure dropped to dangerous levels. I had major blood loss during surgery. So much so that my doctor was on standby to do a hysterectomy if needed in order to stop the bleeding. They do hysterectomies if there's internal bleeding that can't be stopped. I ended up having to have a blood transfusion on the night after surgery and another two days later. What was supposed to be a two day hospital stay turned into a week.

It was quite an ordeal but thankfully I am on the road to recovery.

I later found out that my doctor stopped the surgery before she had removed all of the fibroids because of the blood loss. She also said that mine was the most difficult surgery she had ever performed. :(

As far as having children, my chances now are better than ever. My fibroid was so big that I probably wouldn't have been able to carry a baby full term prior to surgery. I will also have to have a c-section due to the damage done to the uterus while cutting out the fibroids. But that's a small price to pay.

My fibroids didn't cause me pain or heavy bleeding but they were causing distortion of my kidneys.

I lost about 15 pounds following the surgery and my stomach is flat once again :D .

If there's anything else I can share with you, please PM me.

rozlips
01-26-2003, 02:23 AM
I had six fibroids removed on October 31st of last year. My surgery went very smoothly. I had an abdominal myomectomy and for the most part the swelling has gone down. The fibroids caused me to have a miscarriage in June of last year, they grew tremendously during my pregnancy. I'm back into my size 12 jeans again (had been wearing 16s for at least two years, my belly was so swollen.)

I was up and about the day after my surgery. I didn't have a blood transfusion. I stayed off work for five weeks, but probably could've gone back after three. I feel better than I have in years. Hit me up if yo have additional questions.

MzDacia
01-26-2003, 09:46 PM
I had a fibroid removed in 1998. I actually had no choice but to get a hysterectomy. I was in a lot of pain from my large Fibroid. The largest my doctor said he had ever seen, and he has been in the pratice for a long time. My surgery was very successful. I did have alot of internal bleeding prior to my surgery I might add because of my tumor but I recovered well after the surgery. That was my experience

Good luck to you

elleebeme5
01-26-2003, 10:17 PM
I decided to forego the myeomectomy and have a hysterectomy (scheduled for late Spring) due to several large fibroids. I have a good friend who wanted to have another baby so she had her largest fibroids removed last Spring and conceived this fall. (She had to do the same thing to conceive her first child) She said that if they grow back, she'll go for the hysterectomy.

brooklynkink
01-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks for sharing guys. I was so glad to hear that women were able to have children after a myomectomy. It turns out that my fibroid is small and degenerating and so I don't have to worry about removing it Phew! We are planning to TTC (try to conceive) in August for a spring baby. Wish us luck! I hope it doesn't grow anymore while we're waitng. :roll:

curlygirl
01-30-2003, 03:41 AM
I also had a myomectomy about 2 years ago. The only thing that changed for me regarding pregnancy is that now I'll have to have a c-section because of the scar tissue on my uterus. but that's just fine with me! :wink: As long as I can have the babies, I don't care how they come out!

KinkyCoils
01-30-2003, 04:34 AM
Hey ladies! My mom had fibroids for over ten years. Doctors would tell her she had to get a hysterectomy but she said NOWAY. Anyway, finally after years of dealing with the pain and heavy heavy periods she found a doc who said she didn't have to get a hysterectomy so she just had them removed. Her stomach was sooo flat after that surgery. The doc came down while I was in the waiting room and showed me pics of the fibroids. She had about two the size of grapefruits and a bunch of smaller ones the size of golf balls. That was about over three years ago and so far they haven't came back.

elleebeme5
01-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Mine were first described as being the size of a raisin, then a small bunch of grapes, then a big lemon and now the largest one is a grapefruit that is surrounding by large grapes and small lemons. Then they were described as looking like potatoes. I've never heard food made so unappetizing.

elleebeme5
01-30-2003, 06:17 PM
[quote]Hey ladies! My mom had fibroids for over ten years. Doctors would tell her she had to get a hysterectomy but she said NOWAY. Anyway, finally after years of dealing with the pain and heavy heavy periods she found a doc who said she didn't have to get a hysterectomy so she just had them removed. Her stomach was sooo flat after that surgery. The doc came down while I was in the waiting room and showed me pics of the fibroids. She had about two the size of grapefruits and a bunch of smaller ones the size of golf balls. That was about over three years ago and so far they haven't came back.

I'm curious. Why doesn't your mother want a hysterectomy?

KinkyCoils
02-01-2003, 02:56 AM
[quote]Hey ladies! My mom had fibroids for over ten years. Doctors would tell her she had to get a hysterectomy but she said NOWAY. Anyway, finally after years of dealing with the pain and heavy heavy periods she found a doc who said she didn't have to get a hysterectomy so she just had them removed. Her stomach was sooo flat after that surgery. The doc came down while I was in the waiting room and showed me pics of the fibroids. She had about two the size of grapefruits and a bunch of smaller ones the size of golf balls. That was about over three years ago and so far they haven't came back.

I'm curious. Why doesn't your mother want a hysterectomy?

She said in case she wanted to have children again one day, plus she said she came into the world with her stuff and she's leaving with it. :lol: ]

elleebeme5
02-01-2003, 01:05 PM
I can see hanging on to the uterus if you want children but really that's it's only purpose. After children, the uterus, IMHO, is like the appendix. Just there....

xotikloks
02-01-2003, 05:22 PM
My gyn said that more and more of her older patients are requesting myomectomies instead of hysterectomies. They've said they don't want to let go of their uteruses because they see it as a loss of youth.

curlygirl
02-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I can see hanging on to the uterus if you want children but really that's it's only purpose. After children, the uterus, IMHO, is like the appendix. Just there....

I think there are some sound medical as well as emotional/spiritual reasons for hanging on to your uterus if it is possible. (Kinkycoils, I applaud your mom's self care and ability to advocate for her needs) The removal of the uterus is radical surgery which, though I'm not a doctor, I understand is not the way most doctors want to go if there are alternatives. Also, the women I have talked to often have difficult hormonal reations, some short-term others not, after having a hysterectomy.

I also believe that the removal of the uterus has much more profound spiritual/emotional ramifications for many women than say, the appendix. The uterus is a live sustaining center that only we have, it's what allows us to create/maintain life in our bodies. For many of us, it's what makes us female. To have it removed, for many women, can be an emotional crisis/disruption.

Also, the uterus is at the heart of two of the chakras, including the root chakra which is our foundation. Any disruption that occurs in those areas generally affects the chakra energy that we carry.

Clearly, for all women, the uterus does not hold such significance. However, in my experience, more women do hold some kind of emotional/spiritual significance to the uterus. That's why hysterectomies can be so difficult. I certainly consider my uterus very important, and I would get several opinions and try many other options before I would allow someone to take it out.

Edited to add:
Ellee I just re-read some of the posts and I see that you have actually had a hysterectomy. I did not realize this when I was responding. I did not mean to come across as trying to tell you things you may already know from your own experience. I hope no offense was taken as none was meant.

elleebeme5
02-01-2003, 11:48 PM
My hysterectomy is in a few months, no offense taken. My mother, 2 aunts, several play aunts and 3 of my closest friends have all had hysterectomies without complications. My mom is almost 70 and has never taken hormones (she has an ovary left). All of them had had children and saw the hysterectomy as a means of relieving their pain and suffering. Regarding feeling like a woman, if my mother and aunt tell me one more time that it didn't affect their sex life, I'm going to be totally embarrassed (I think my parents never had sex). I'm not having any pain from the fibroids, but my periods are heavy and long and come about every 3 weeks. Further, I look pregnant cause they are so huge.

I'm currently going to counseling partially to deal with not having had children. But at age 45, hysterectomy or not, it was probably not going to happen. In fact, my gyn suggested the counseling two years before she recommended the surgery. In fact, she didn't recommend the surgery directly. She said that with the size of the fibroids - they are pressing on my bladder - that she recommended surgery. I said what. She said it was up to me what she did. Since fibroids often grow back, I chose hysterectomy. I'll keep my ovaries if they're okay but the fibroids were so large that the ovaries couldn't be viewed.

Info
02-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Would like to hear about some experiences with removing fibroids. Or getting pregnant after having fibroids removed? What method did you choose for removal?

I had two removed after I had my son. For years I suffered through extremely heavy periods, fatigue, and bloating. Heck, I looked like I was pregnant long before I was! No doctor would listen to me so I changed doctors. When I told her about a magazine article I saw in Woman's Day, she was the first one to listen. To make a long story short, I had to have a C-section. She took out my uterus and there they were, one was lemon sized I think and the other one was the size of a large grapefruit. I recovered and four years later, here I am, mommy for the 2nd time so yes, you can get pregnant after having them removed.

mommytimes2
03-23-2003, 06:18 AM
I had a traditional myomectomy (abdominal surgery with a large bikini cut) in February 1993 due to 5 fibroids (3 large and 2 small). Prior to the surgery, my periods were extremely painful and lasted nearly 2 weeks. In fact, my cycle was so off, I would have my period 2 times per month, with only 1 week of no bleeding. :cry: I had a bloated stomach and appeared to be 5 months pregnant. When my period came, I would nearly pass out, and was anemic due to all of the blood loss.

I provided 2 pints of my own blood prior to surgery in case a transfusion was required. I felt terrible after the surgery and developed a fever. After my blood was transfussed back to me, I felt tons better. I left the hospital after 1 week and stayed out of work for 2 months. I felt much better 1 month after surgery and back to my old self after 4 or 5 months.

In October 1996 I had a normal delivery and gave birth to a son. In October 2001, I had a c-section and gave birth to a daughter. Unfortunately, I had extensive scar tissue due to the fibroid surgery and bled heavy after delivering my daughter. I lost an ovary and fallopian tube in the process, but all of that scar tissue explains why it took me 2 years to conceive my daughter.

I remember what my first surgeon told me, "Don't wait forever to have children after having the fibroids removed. This procedure (myomectomy) will buy you time, but the fibroids may come back."

I know this was a long response, but this was my experience.

blakgirl
03-24-2003, 08:32 PM

not i, but my sister did. she found a support group on the web, sorta like this board, but discussing fibroids. i would suggest doing a search. she got a lot of info that way.

blak.

saga30311
04-02-2003, 02:19 PM
I actually had a hysteroscopy, d&c and resection yesterday. The doctor said it went well, but I'm going back in 3 weeks for a follow-up, to get the results of the surgery and to assess what further treatment is necessary. BTW, I feel fine - I'm still a little woozy from the anesthesia, but other than slight cramping & a sore throat from a breathing tube they inserted while I was unconscious :mad: I actually feel pretty good :o :D

edited to add: the L in feel - I'm woozier than I thought...lol :lol:

elleebeme5
04-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Prior to the surgery, my periods were extremely painful and lasted nearly 2 weeks. In fact, my cycle was so off, I would have my period 2 times per month, with only 1 week of no bleeding. :cry: I had a bloated stomach and appeared to be 5 months pregnant. When my period came, I would nearly pass out, and was anemic due to all of the blood loss.

That's me now without the pain. My Gyn is shocked when I tell her that I absolutely no pain. But I look every bit 4-5 months pregnant to the point that I'm having wear clothes with elastic in the waist or buy women's because they are cut larger in the waist. I get lightheaded when I ovulate which is about every 15-16 days and my cycle last 9 days. I have several fibroids the size of lemons and I can't wait till they're gone.

Sekhmet
04-02-2003, 03:11 PM
I just had a myomectomy in late September 2002. They removed 10 tumors and my appendix. I also donated my own blood for transfusion, which I ended up needing. I STRONGLY suggest you do the same. Nothing else is safer!

Like elleebeme, I had no pain. I didn't even have elongated periods. Mine actually got shorter and lighter. I just looked 5 months pregnant. Prior to surgery, I went on Lupron to shrink them, but I still had to get the old-time c-section incision - the vertical one - because they were still so big. So no bikini for me :cry: I saw the pictures and was amazed those things were in my body. I feel so much better now. My energy is way up and I feel normal again. :D

Sekhmet

jetcitygirl
04-05-2003, 05:08 AM
I will be having myomectomy done May 22. I first developed fibroids in my early 20's which is younger than usual. They've grown slow and right now the biggest on is 8cm and on a stalk so hopefully it will be easy to remove. My abdomen is soo bloated I just can't stand it anymore. I was putting off the surgery because other than the bloat and minor pain they don't bother me too much. But since I am at least 10-15 years away from menopause I don't think I want to suffer that long waiting for them to shrink on their own. I am hoping that I've had my LAST vaginal ultrasound. Is that the most humiliating procedure ever or what?!

elleebeme5
04-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I am hoping that I've had my LAST vaginal ultrasound. Is that the most humiliating procedure ever or what?!

You and me both. When my brothers complain about their prostrate exam, I want to tell them "At least there's no camera rolling around up there".

rozlips
04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
If you think that's bad, try a saline infusion ultrasound where they insert salt water into your uterus, then shoot pictures of it. I think I must have had 12 different types of pelvic exams last year. At one point I was convinced that everybody in my city had looked at my uterus! It's just bizarre.

curlygirl
04-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Is that the most humiliating procedure ever or what?!

I hear you! THe worst part is that I actually got used to that!

elleebeme5
04-06-2003, 12:30 AM
as long as the thread has been guano'd (sorry), here's bizarre: My ob/gyn had a med student shadowing her as did one of her partners. I have an extremely small pelvis - well, I'm small boned all over. Anyway, when I get my pap, she uses a 'virginal' size specula. Well, mine was so much smaller than all of the pregnant women that the two students had been seeing all day, she asked if they could come look at my tiny self. Since I train students and hate it when they are not exposed to everything, I said yes and imagined being on a petrie dish.

Sekhmet
04-06-2003, 02:32 AM
For JetCityGirl and others who are going to have a myomectomy, I'd like to make a suggestion (in addition to donating your own blood): decide whether you want stitches or staples. Most doctors staple because its quick and easy for them. But you can request stitches.

For some this wasn't an issue, but I have a low tolerance for pain and didn't want to go through having them take the staples out. So I expressly told my doctor NOT to use staples. Some women I know have had their incisions separate a little after the staples were removed. Plus the staples leave their own marks in addition to the surgical scar.

Sekhmet

dembasamba
04-07-2003, 11:05 PM
In my experience, doctors use tape mostly, not stitches or staples.

My premyo tips:

Also ask your doctor what is his/her gameplan to prevent adhesions. If you have keloid prone skin ask him/her what you can do before or after to prevent excess scarring. If you take herbal medicines, ask your doctori if they are ok to continue presurgery. Some of them are blood thinners. Make a plan for easing of bowel movements post surgery. Some slight constapation is a frequent complaint. Weak stomach muscles make it hard to beardown. Don't mean to be graphic. I just upped my fiber content with prunes and I was straight. :wink:

Good luck!

saga30311
04-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Has anyone else here had a hysteroscopy & resection of their fibroids? I'm having some symptoms now that are unfamiliar to me (dr. never mentioned them pre-surgery) and I wanted to find out if this is normal :? :?:

See ode to the fibroids (http://memage_de_saga.blogspot.com/) for symptom information.

These may just be post-op things that I wasn't informed of, but I wanted to touch base to see if anyone could enlighten me. I'm a week out from my surgery, and my follow-up isn't scheduled for another 2 weeks. Thanks in advance for any information you can share. :)