PDA

View Full Version : "why I Hate Blacks"

Papillion
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Weird, disturbing...but true?

-----------
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...MNGTCOBI921.DTL (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/27/MNGTCOBI921.DTL)

Asian paper's 'I Hate Blacks' column assailed

A San Francisco weekly newspaper that bills itself as "The Voice of Asian America" is facing harsh criticism from that very community for publishing a column Friday titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the column, AsianWeek regular contributor Kenneth Eng listed "reasons" to discriminate against African Americans. The piece has been pulled from the newspaper's Web site, but the print edition of the free paper, owned by the politically influential Fang family, was still available in news racks Monday.

Eng called himself an "Asian supremacist" in January in another installment of the column, which runs under the label "God of the Universe."

Prominent Asian Americans immediately condemned Eng's current column.

"The hate is based on ignorance and is very similar to the rationales that the KKK uses against African Americans," said Henry Der, director for 22 years of Chinese for Affirmative Action and the former state administrator for Emeryville's schools.

"What gives me the greatest concern was AsianWeek's judgment in printing such a piece out of context," Der said. "It is so trite and hateful, it doesn't speak well for the publication."

San Francisco NAACP President Amos Brown, who heard about the column from a Chronicle reporter, was speechless at first.

"I can't believe this," Brown then said. "I am surprised the Fangs, who have supposedly been involved in interracial-understanding issues, would publish something like this. I am flabbergasted. We can't afford for these kind of racist flames to be fueled in that kind of setting."

AsianWeek issued a statement regretting "any offense caused by the one opinion piece," and Editor in Chief Samson Wong declined further comment.

Editor at large Ted Fang did not return phone calls seeking comment. Members of his family, who are Chinese American, have owned a number of local publications, including AsianWeek and the Independent. They bought the Examiner in 2000 and sold it in 2004.

Ted Fang's brother James, who is president of the paper, has spent more than a decade on the BART Board of Directors and previously worked as international trade director for former San Francisco Mayor Frank Jordan.

Eng's "reasons" for hating black people include:

-- "Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us."

-- "Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

-- "Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians."

Eng, who is in his early 20s, according to material on the Internet promoting his science fiction writing, started at AsianWeek in November after moving from the East Coast. In 2004, for an online magazine called Down in the Dirt, he wrote about experiencing racism as an Asian American student at New York University after he "expressed my negative views on America, religion and African Americans."

Other AsianWeek columns of Eng's -- including "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians" -- have resulted in criticism. In the first, he complained about the scarcity of Asian heroes in the media. In the second, he described Asian Americans as apathetic, brown-nosing and lacking in cultural pride.

Eng could not be reached for comment Monday.

Leaders of the Asian Law Caucus, Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action and other groups and individuals began circulating a petition Friday calling for the paper to apologize, terminate its relationship with Eng, print an editorial refuting the column and review its editorial policy. The leaders' statement, issued in Washington, D.C., called the piece "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

In its statement, AsianWeek, which has a circulation of 48,505, said it "sincerely regrets any offense caused by the one opinion piece which reflected that author's personal views. We apologize for any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community. AsianWeek has great respect for all that the African American community has done for Asian Pacific Americans."

David Lee of the Chinese American Voters Education Committee said Eng's statement echoes the feelings of some Asian Americans. He said that rather than condemning the paper, black and Asian people should participate in a town hall-style meeting to address tension he said exists between the two communities.

"There is a segment that feels the way Eng does, but the sentiment is underground and not brought to the surface," Lee said. "If you don't have a discussion, then I think it allows these types of views to fester and turn into something much more negative. Rather than refute and bury this, we should be calling for a community dialogue to address this."

The paper said it will announce in this Friday's edition plans to co-sponsor a town hall-style meeting with the Willie L. Brown Jr. Institute on Politics & Public Service.

"What this controversy points out is the lack of community leadership in addressing the critical and difficult issues of race relations, particularly between Asian Pacific Americans and African Americans," the paper's statement said.

San Francisco writer Claire Light, one of several bloggers who wrote about the column over the weekend, said the newspaper in general -- and especially Eng's column -- makes her embarrassed to be Asian. She said that "most Asian Americans have never even heard of AsianWeek, much less agree with its editorial decision making."

Der said the column was offensive not only to African Americans but to everyone -- and especially because it was published during Black History Month.

"It is pretty despicable that the piece would do that at this time," he said. "If we are to talk about race and issues, then there should be a thoughtful presentation of the diverse views on this topic. If they had done that, however offensive, we would at least understand it in the context in the larger community."

Ling-chi Wang, retired chairman of the ethnic studies department at UC Berkeley, said there is an urgent need for Asian Americans to be aware of the history of this country and know that Asian American gains have come largely as a result of the efforts of black people.

"Personal experiences cannot be generalized," Wang said. "It is really sad to see the racism sentiment being expressed so publicly. I can't believe Ted Fang would allow such a column to go to print. It is really offensive and damaging and is not one that contributes to a better understanding of diversity.

"I was very disappointed to see it published, and I'm glad there are people protesting."

honeybunch2k5
02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not surprised at all. Some Asians view black people as 'very scary,' and I suppose it was only a matter of time before a bigoted Asian person published something like this.

cmsheart
02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I was going to quote so much in this article but its just too much....

No, I am not surprised at all and Pap you hit it right on thr head with the bolded section. Secondly, this cat has some serious issues from his NY days that is predominantly a WHITE U that it makes me wonder... ok, not really.

Out of the three things they pulled from the paper as a demonstration of his feelings, I have no problem with him making those statements because in them are SOME truth. HOWEVER, those truths also hold for ASIANS i.e. ASIANS hate us (not that I have this problem) but its true. I've been accused of stealing from a $ store in Chinatown... a FRIGGIN $ store???? :lol: :lol: Fortunately, I brought myself up better to even get stank on the chic accussing me.

Nina
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I lived in Cali for a couple of years and know first hand that sentiments like these go both ways...

Heard and saw too many African Americans say awful things about Asians or try to intimidate and disrespect them; saw Mexicans do the same!

I think the Asian idiot who wrote this article is just as despicable as many I heard getting loud and stupid and calling Asians "ching chong," "dim son," "sucky sucky, me love you long time" to Asian females, calling a Korean a "chinaman" or a Thai a "jap azz mutha*****."

Asians are like 4% of the US population so who gives a frig? Anyway...call out one? Call out all! Cuz there is no innocent group with clean hands in this!

anabwi
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Ah, but they won't give up their beauty supply stores, will they? :huh:

ashta
02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
gee, i'm shocked. :rolleyes:

most people think african-decended people are the lowest. sorry, that's how it is.

i thought the part about black easily accepting christianity was quite funny.

but then he also wrote something called - why i hate asians - so we're all even.

don't see any point in asking for an apology from him or the newspaper. people should be thankful when others show their true selves.

Nina
02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Ah, but they won't give up their beauty supply stores, will they? :huh:[/b]

If the market ($$) goes away and people stop patronizing to buy their yak, plastic or whatever fake hair...I've no doubt "they" would give them up. Business is business, baby, and that is not the Asian's fault so till then...

Hadasah
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Racial name calling goes all sorts of ways, so he's just being stupid on that part. I've had no problems with Asians at all. The dude at the Chinese restaurant I often went to raised the price of a drink .25 but he insisted that I didn't pay it every time I tried. I know it's not a big deal, but there was no racism there, see. We were just cool like that. Most of my friends were Asians when I was younger. Then again, I'm only 16. =p
You know that movie by the Wayans bros. Don't Be a Menace to South Central Without Drinking Your Juice in the Hood where that Asian woman was following Shawn around? The day after I saw the movie my cousins and I went to an Asian-owned store and the woman was following us around and staring at us. :lol:
I agree with ashta, he's not the only one with prejudice views, he just went out and said something. If we were just more honest about our beliefs then it will be easier to change them for the better.

Papillion
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I lived in Cali for a couple of years and know first hand that sentiments like these go both ways...

Heard and saw too many African Americans say awful things about Asians or try to intimidate and disrespect them; saw Mexicans do the same!

I think the Asian idiot who wrote this article is just as despicable as many I heard getting loud and stupid and calling Asians "ching chong," "dim son," "sucky sucky, me love you long time" to Asian females, calling a Korean a "chinaman" or a Thai a "jap azz mutha*****."

Asians are like 4% of the US population so who gives a frig? Anyway...call out one? Call out all! Cuz there is no innocent group with clean hands in this!
[/b]

Well, I was born and raised in California, land of racial hatred.

As of the 2005 census, the Asian population in the US is actually at 5% (and growing). However, in San Francisco alone the Asian population is approx. 31%, with whites soon to be outnumbered (to their dismay). :rolleyes:

Why does it matter?

Asian Americans are a growing, influential demographic that currently hold key positions in many companies, universities, et. al. This is not just in California, either.

Some toothless, powerless fool spewing anti-Asian epithets is nothing compared to the prospective Asian American employer who may have been raised to view African Americans (and also Latino populations) as inferior and not to employ them.

That's why it matters.

The person who wrote that article was just putting it in writing the sentiments that those of us who have Asian friends and associates have already heard and seen.

And yet, once again, the Civil Rights Movement did not just benefit Blacks, but Asians, Latinos (of all "races"), and white women, yet many of the aforementioned don't give a rat's behind about solidarity and still go on to despise the group (because everyone KNOWS Blacks are a monolithic group :rolleyes:) who shed the most blood over it.

Whatever.

Scribetastic
02-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Eng's "reasons" for hating black people include:

-- "Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us."

-- "Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

-- "Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians."

"There is a segment that feels the way Eng does, but the sentiment is underground and not brought to the surface," Lee said. "If you don't have a discussion, then I think it allows these types of views to fester and turn into something much more negative. Rather than refute and bury this, we should be calling for a community dialogue to address this."

The paper said it will announce in this Friday's edition plans to co-sponsor a town hall-style meeting with the Willie L. Brown Jr. Institute on Politics & Public Service.

"What this controversy points out is the lack of community leadership in addressing the critical and difficult issues of race relations, particularly between Asian Pacific Americans and African Americans," the paper's statement said.

Ling-chi Wang, retired chairman of the ethnic studies department at UC Berkeley, said there is an urgent need for Asian Americans to be aware of the history of this country and know that Asian American gains have come largely as a result of the efforts of black people.

"Personal experiences cannot be generalized," Wang said. "It is really sad to see the racism sentiment being expressed so publicly. I can't believe Ted Fang would allow such a column to go to print. It is really offensive and damaging and is not one that contributes to a better understanding of diversity.

[/b]
Oh boy! It's on!

I have to say, like Papillion, I'm a native Californian. Asians in California are VERY powerful and are growing moreso, so this is a big issue.

The problem is the guy who wrote this article has no understanding at all about the history of African-Americans. However, most black people I know have no knowledge about the Asians they try to look down on either.

It definitely goes both ways. My family is incredibly racist towards Asians for no particular reason but that their undies get bunched up into a wad everytime an Asian business opens in the neigbhorhood. Well, whose fault is that, really? Blaming the Asian while not looking at the bigger picture solves nothing. What it does is causes a situation where you have blacks throwing epithets and glares at people who've done nothing but try to make a success of their lives.

I have to admit this madness is one big reason I chose Korea over Japan. There is so much friction between the black and Korean communities and it's STUPID.

I'm glad to hear they're going to open up a town hall meeting because they're right. This is festering under the surface and it's very rare that an Asian will say something. You won't walk down the street in Koreatown and have Asians taunting you. They'll hold it in, so I'm glad this kid did write this article. It seems like he's written others on the same theme. He just hates everyone: white people, Asian people and black people.

I hope they get some constructive talks going because people need to be educated on both sides. There is a lot of hate, resentment and misunderstandings.

So to answer the question in another thread, yes, blacks can be racist and this is an example of how that causes problems. It's not just our responsibility. It's the responsibility of Asians too, but I've seen and heard some hostile conversations on the topic of Asians just over the dinner table. :(

Nevsky
02-27-2007, 04:22 PM

I agree with this point alot.

ashta
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, I was born and raised in California, land of racial hatred.

As of the 2005 census, the Asian population in the US is actually at 5% (and growing). However, in San Francisco alone the Asian population is approx. 31%, with whites soon to be outnumbered (to their dismay). :rolleyes:

Why does it matter?

Asian Americans are a growing, influential demographic that currently hold key positions in many companies, universities, et. al. This is not just in California, either.

Some toothless, powerless fool spewing anti-Asian epithets is nothing compared to the prospective Asian American employer who may have been raised to view African Americans (and also Latino populations) as inferior and not to employ them.

That's why it matters.

The person who wrote that article was just putting it in writing the sentiments that those of us who have Asian friends and associates have already heard and seen.

And yet, once again, the Civil Rights Movement did not just benefit Blacks, but Asians, Latinos (of all "races"), and white women, yet many of the aforementioned don't give a rat's behind about solidarity and still go on to despise the group (because everyone KNOWS Blacks are a monolithic group :rolleyes:) who shed the most blood over it.

Whatever.
[/b]

that's funny since a lot of people have this impression that california is this incredibly tolerant place. the reality it is probably the most diverse area of the nation but is also a cauldron.

but i was just in s.f. - lots of asians true. but the people who were rude and snotty were the white people. remove that 'i'm so liberal' veneer of nothern california and you get some ugliness.

the chinese people in the restaurants and tea places i went to were mostly nice. and a bit surprised that a black girl would take such an interest in certain aspects of their culture.

i think that as far as making them culturally/historically sensitive, i don't think they are likely to be more "understanding" or knowledgeable because i think they look at black americans the way others who have come and succeeded in this country - as backward, lazy people.

and yes, none of the asian friends or acquaintances i've had have ever denied that they can be extremely racist and not very open at all - usually, esp. if they are first generation, their parents will keep them with asians and if they have anything to do with nonasians, they'll be white.

but i think we have to remember that only certain asians are doing well. loatians, cambodians, philipinos do not do as well as chinese, japanese and koreans.

Hadasah
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, it is just from an American point of view, right? Like 75%-90% of the Korean pop music industry is hip-hop or hip-hop influenced, and Japan's got that whole 'ganguro' thing going on...
Nah, America can't handle it's diversity.

Soul Rebel
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I&#39;m from California, but not only CA, I&#39;m from LA - South Central LA - and I know life here before and after the uprising (riots). I&#39;ve always had a lot of Asian friends, but suffice it to say, his commentary is not suprising. And - in reality - SF is pretty darn polarized socio-economically. I&#39;ve been looking for a Pied-A-Terre up there and I&#39;ve noticed that there are few to NO Black folks in the areas where I&#39;ve been looking. I&#39;d never run into that in East Bay (exact opposite, actually) so to find that out about SF has been disspointing to say the least. <_<
most people think african-decended people are the lowest. sorry, that&#39;s how it is. [/b]

Yes. For the bigoted-minded people, I think that is a true statement. However...

Well, it is just from an American point of view, right? Like 75%-90% of the Korean pop music industry is hip-hop or hip-hop influenced, and Japan&#39;s got that whole &#39;ganguro&#39; thing going on...
Nah, America can&#39;t handle it&#39;s diversity.
[/b]

While I don&#39;t always find those imitations flattering, I do think that&#39;s true. It&#39;s a big world out there, and Black Americans would do well to travel and become citizens of the world in order to appreciate their worth in the world...

- Tania <_< @ America

Sweet Rain
02-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I understand (and agree with) his religion idea. Christianity was/is a tool used to conquer us. It makes no sense to me why we continue to hold onto the opressor&#39;s religion.

Scribetastic
02-28-2007, 03:36 AM
This Eng thing is blasting off and a lot of bloggers are talking about it. I found the full article on another blog and published it on my blog just because taking it down is a punk move after publishing it. I won&#39;t put it here, but you can click over to my blog to read it if you want.

Well, it is just from an American point of view, right? Like 75%-90% of the Korean pop music industry is hip-hop or hip-hop influenced, and Japan&#39;s got that whole &#39;ganguro&#39; thing going on...
Nah, America can&#39;t handle it&#39;s diversity.
[/b]
I&#39;d say some American&#39;s can&#39;t. There are others that roll with it quite well. I&#39;m in Korea and there are some crazy things that happen here too. However, Koreans really do have a better learning curve. Some white folks tried to get mad at me for saying that in a podcast a friend and I did called Being Black in Korea, but I call it as I see it.

While I don&#39;t always find those imitations flattering, I do think that&#39;s true. It&#39;s a big world out there, and Black Americans would do well to travel and become citizens of the world in order to appreciate their worth in the world...
[/b]
I&#39;m from South Central too. I didn&#39;t find San Francisco to be THAT bad, but I was there for school and then just stayed on because I loved the Bay Area. L.A. is really polarized too.

As for your comment about travel, I totally agree. I&#39;m a huge advocate for black folks to get out there and travel. It&#39;s really necessary in this age of globalization. I just spent the morning talking to Karl Kaiser, a German visiting professor from Harvard, and I&#39;m telling you the people you meet while abroad is really a blessing.

Sweet Rain
02-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Also black people go out of their way to mock Asians, in "black" movies, too. And I&#39;m glad he brought up Christianity, maybe we can discuss our blind adherance to it given the history.

honeybunch2k5
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
^Hmm...The Chinese caricature in Norbit comes to mind.

sonce
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM

dahabu
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM

Asians are like 4% of the US population so who gives a frig? Anyway...call out one? Call out all! Cuz there is no innocent group with clean hands in this![/b]

gee, i&#39;m shocked. :rolleyes:

most people think african-decended people are the lowest. sorry, that&#39;s how it is. [/b]

If the market ($$) goes away and people stop patronizing to buy their yak, plastic or whatever fake hair...I&#39;ve no doubt "they" would give them up. Business is business, baby, and that is not the Asian&#39;s fault so till then...[/b]
:clap: :clap: :clap:

NLight1
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Just got this in an email. Interesting <_<

February 28, 2007
Paper Says Piece Should Not Have Been Published
The AsianWeek newspaper announced Wednesday that it has suspended the author of "Why I Hate Blacks," freelance contributor Kenneth Eng, and called publication of his opinion piece "an insensitive and callous mistake that should never have been made by our publication."

"As a publication whose motto is the &#39;voice of the Asian American

Following is the "Why I Hate Blacks" column. AsianWeek pulled the piece from its Web site, but it remains in its print edition.

Here is a list of reasons why we should discriminate against blacks, starting from the most obvious down to the least obvious:

• Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us.

In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian. Furthermore, their activity in the media proves their hatred: Rush Hour, Exit Wounds, Hot 97, etc.

• Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years. It&#39;s unbelievable that it took them that long to fight back.

On the other hand, we slaughtered the Russians in the Japanese-Russo War.

• Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including Reverend Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians.

Yet, at the same time, they spend much of their time whining about how much they hate "the whites that oppressed them."

Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, but wasn&#39;t Christianity the religion that the whites forced upon them?

• Blacks don&#39;t get it. I know it&#39;s a blunt and crass comment, but it&#39;s true. When I was in high school, I recall a class debate in which one half of the class was chosen to defend black slavery and the other half was chosen to defend liberation.

Disturbingly, blacks on the prior side viciously defended slavery as well as Christianity. They say if you don&#39;t study history, you&#39;re condemned to repeat it.

In high school, I only remember one black student ever attending any of my honors and AP courses. And that student was caught cheating.

It is rather troubling that they are treated as heroes, but then again, whites will do anything to defend them.

Tiye
03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Mr man has a whole lot of reading to do. I don&#39;t take exception with his issues with black people. If he has issues with how the black people he&#39;s encountered respond to him - or with media portrayal, I have no problem with him expressing himself. What I do take issue with is his complete and abject ignorance of world history which is the backdrop for his piece. He coulda taken some time to do a little research on his subject matter. I ain&#39;t mad at him. He sounds like a victim of really crappy schools.

Jazitones
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Man is he STUPID! I have to laugh at his ignorance, because it&#39;s obvious he lacks alot of knowledge. :lol:

NLight1
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Yea he is dumb. Its one thing to express yourself, but its another to stereotype a entire group of people based on your limited experiences with Black people. Those Black people are your issue dude, not ALL Black people.

That is just as dumb and ignorant as me saying all Asian people eat dogs and cats, have elitist attitudes and are all good at math and science <_<

Bunny
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
What bothers me most about this whole situation is not his article, but the fact that he was given a forum in a relatively respectable publication.

I have no doubt that there are idiots of all races who feel this way. But as a journalist, I know that this article fits NONE of the guidelines that most journalists -- including freelancers -- are held to when they submit articles. He has also written poorly constructed pieces about hating whites and hating other Asians -- and all got published.

This time, folks just spoke out and NOW he gets suspended. But the publishers/editors of the piece shouldn&#39;t have allowed this to run at all. You can&#39;t make an argument/debate made on incorrect facts or experiences with ONE person in your high school who supposedly cheated and therefore say that all blacks are dumb, whatever.

It makes me wonder what other kooks can get published by legit media outlets if this fool could.

msdeevan
03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
What&#39;s suspending him gonna do?

This had me mad for a minute but then I remembered every immigrant that comes running to the America that was built on our backs by boat, plane , train or Chevy thinks that they are better than African-Americans.

tjolims
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
[/b]

We? Since when was Eng a Japanese name?

Not even gonna get into the rest of the article...

libeliz
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian.

He must be really funny lookin&#39;.

vinny_46
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Suspended, but not fired. <_<

I do agree with his Christianity comment, but it&#39;s not exclusive to black Americans. Nor was it his place to bring up. Whites have oppressed Asians too, but they never stop trying to be just like yt. :rolleyes: :lol:

Mezzie
03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I used to try to waste my effort and breath to dispute and even get angry every time I ran across some ignorant *sshole and his opinions but I don&#39;t even have the time anymore. I know who I am and I cannot even bring myself to be angry with people who have issues with me because they basically have issues with themselves or their past (i.e. getting beat up or teased by black kids in elementary school. I got beat up and ridiculed by plenty of blacks as well as other races and you don&#39;t see me whining racist rants all over the papers) All I can say is WHATEVER. :rolleyes: Somebody needs to hand this loser a towel, tell him to dry his tears and move on because THIS BLACK WOMAN could care less that he has a goddamn inferiority complex that forces him to resort to hatred and name calling whenever he sees a dark face. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/angry043.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

lsubabiedee
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I hope he takes this time off to decide on another profession. That article sucked, and not because it was hateful, but because his whole argument was full of ****.

I don&#39;t even understand how this got published to begin with.

Aje_Templar
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Suspended, but not fired. <_<

I do agree with his Christianity comment, but it&#39;s not exclusive to black Americans. Nor was it his place to bring up. Whites have oppressed Asians too, but they never stop trying to be just like yt. :rolleyes: :lol:
[/b]

It is interesting that Asians produce Anime with Japanese characters that resemble whites and there are surgeries over there that allow them to have more rounded eyes, and none of this made its way into Eng&#39;s paper.

I won&#39;t waste too much time getting angry at this.

Aje

TwistedXn
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Eng has been dismissed (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/01/BAGO7ODAA91.DTL)

SAN FRANCISCO
&#39;Hate Blacks&#39; writer dismissed by AsianWeek

Leslie Fulbright, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, March 1, 2007
Amos Brown, president of the San Francisco NAACP (left), ... AsianWeek Editor at large Ted Fang (foreground) and Amos ...

The 22-year-old author of a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks" in the regional newspaper AsianWeek has been dismissed, and the paper&#39;s editors said Wednesday that they suffered "a serious lapse in editorial judgment" when they published his column.

Editor at large Ted Fang said Wednesday at a news conference organized by the San Francisco branch of the NAACP that Kenneth Eng, who lives in New York, will not write again for the free weekly.

"The failing of our editorial process in allowing this piece to go forward was an insensitive and callous mistake that should never have been made by our publication," Fang said."As a publication whose motto is (to be) the voice of the Asian American community, we are humbled and overwhelmed at reader response not only chastising our editorial process but strongly urging our paper to sever all ties to this contributor."

<snip>

NLight1
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
"The failing of our editorial process in allowing this piece to go forward was an insensitive and callous mistake that should never have been made by our publication," Fang said."As a publication whose motto is (to be) the voice of the Asian American community, we are humbled and overwhelmed at reader response not only chastising our editorial process but strongly urging our paper to sever all ties to this contributor."
[/b]
Good. Im glad they fired his butt and realized it was stupid and unprofessional of them to allow that unsubstantiated rant to be published in the first place.

jmnappy
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Does he hate doing research too?

Hadasah
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
What a baby! For someone&#39;s who so into stereotypes, he just sorta disspelled the whole "Asians are smart" stereotype.

Button2004
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
[/b]

I mean really! :lol:

bijoks
03-01-2007, 07:06 PM
What&#39;s suspending him gonna do?

This had me mad for a minute but then I remembered every immigrant that comes running to the America that was built on our backs by boat, plane , train or Chevy thinks that they are better than African-Americans.
[/b]

I have to address this. It&#39;s ironic that you&#39;re mad at a guy who is guilty of the very same thing you just did (stereotyping a population of people based on your limited experience with a few individuals). There are many immigrants who don&#39;t feel this way.

Please no immigrant bashing thank you :)

afrobeauty77
03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe he has such a dislike for black Americans because if you visit any of the world&#39;s largest Asian cities you will definitely see a large hip hop influence amongst it young people. Besides we will not bring up the way the British swindled, brutilized, and eventually colonized Hong Kong altogther. Everyone has a right to have their narrow opinion, but it is outrageous that his comments even made it to print. I think the editor who approved his piece should face serious reprecussions as well.

lsubabiedee
03-02-2007, 12:38 AM
[/b]

apparently.
he wrote a 5th grade research paper....and that still might be giving him too much credit.

kblc06
03-03-2007, 09:33 PM
In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian.
[/b]

LMBAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bunny
03-03-2007, 11:10 PM
[/b]

Well, now that you mention it...

Here&#39;s ya boy. :lol:

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/fp_kencheteweng1.jpg

Scribetastic
03-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Just got this in an email. Interesting <_<

February 28, 2007
Paper Says Piece Should Not Have Been Published
The AsianWeek newspaper announced Wednesday that it has suspended the author of "Why I Hate Blacks," freelance contributor Kenneth Eng, and called publication of his opinion piece "an insensitive and callous mistake that should never have been made by our publication."

"As a publication whose motto is the &#39;voice of the Asian American

Following is the "Why I Hate Blacks" column. AsianWeek pulled the piece from its Web site, but it remains in its print edition.

Here is a list of reasons why we should discriminate against blacks, starting from the most obvious down to the least obvious:

• Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us.

In my experience, I would say about 90 percent of blacks I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of an Asian. Furthermore, their activity in the media proves their hatred: Rush Hour, Exit Wounds, Hot 97, etc.

• Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years. It&#39;s unbelievable that it took them that long to fight back.

• Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including Reverend Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians.

Yet, at the same time, they spend much of their time whining about how much they hate "the whites that oppressed them."

Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, but wasn&#39;t Christianity the religion that the whites forced upon them?

• Blacks don&#39;t get it. I know it&#39;s a blunt and crass comment, but it&#39;s true. When I was in high school, I recall a class debate in which one half of the class was chosen to defend black slavery and the other half was chosen to defend liberation.

Disturbingly, blacks on the prior side viciously defended slavery as well as Christianity. They say if you don&#39;t study history, you&#39;re condemned to repeat it.

In high school, I only remember one black student ever attending any of my honors and AP courses. And that student was caught cheating.

It is rather troubling that they are treated as heroes, but then again, whites will do anything to defend them.
[/b]
There is already a thread on this started by Papillion: Asian Paper&#39;s &#39;i Hate Blacks&#39; Column Assailed (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93739)

I thought it was odd when I was reading the comments that mine was there :blush: These two threads should be merged ;)

chartu
03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
It is interesting that Asians produce Anime with Japanese characters that resemble whites and there are surgeries over there that allow them to have more rounded eyes, and none of this made its way into Eng&#39;s paper.
[/b]

Whites have oppressed Asians too, but they never stop trying to be just like yt. [/b]

He might have addressed these issues in another piece he wrote titled "Why I Hate Asians."

I think there&#39;s one about whites too.

I guess since he was fired Latinos are off the hook for now :rolleyes:

LuaBonita
03-04-2007, 11:00 AM
i hate to hear young racist asians or racist asians to begin with. theres no telling what their parents and ancestors had to go through to get over to the US or to have some sort of freedom!! many in MD came over to escape religious persecution. others came for work. others came for school. same thing in the past too

this guy is just an idiot and hes spitting in the face of his ancestors and blacks from the past. i completely agree with the bolded part

tinyspirals
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I used to try to waste my effort and breath to dispute and even get angry every time I ran across some ignorant *sshole and his opinions but I don&#39;t even have the time anymore. I know who I am and I cannot even bring myself to be angry with people who have issues with me because they basically have issues with themselves or their past (i.e. getting beat up or teased by black kids in elementary school. I got beat up and ridiculed by plenty of blacks as well as other races and you don&#39;t see me whining racist rants all over the papers) All I can say is WHATEVER. :rolleyes: Somebody needs to hand this loser a towel, tell him to dry his tears and move on because THIS BLACK WOMAN could care less that he has a goddamn inferiority complex that forces him to resort to hatred and name calling whenever he sees a dark face. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/angry043.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
[/b]

yea, if I were to lower my standards, be ignorant, and respond, I&#39;d say he has "little-man" syndrome.

creation
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
It&#39;s really sad because as minorities we should band together whether than be so divided. We could help each other.

But anyway, I never really had any problems with Asian folks. But it does seem that many of them seperate themselves from other races. Whether it be black folks, hispanic folks, or white folks. Now, I&#39;m not saying that this is true about all Asians because I really hate stereotypes. But it is somewhat true.

And I could understand the gentlemans sentiments about racial remarks made about Asians. But at the same time if you are against racial stereotypes and predjudice, but then you turn around and do the same thing. Then it makes you seem like a hyprocrite. Either you against prejudice or your not.

In regard to his arguement about African American Christians. What about Asian Americans that are Christians??? Are they weak-minded too????

Personally, I have no beef with Asian folks. I just look at the individual. ;)

But what the heck do they think a meeting is going to do. People that are racist can&#39;t get rehabilitated. You can change the rules, punish people for their unfair actions. But you can not change hearts by having a meeting.

PrincessDrRe
03-04-2007, 02:25 PM
....That is just as dumb and ignorant as me saying all Asian people eat dogs and cats, have elitist attitudes and are all good at math and science <_<
[/b]

:unsure:

:pointlaugh:

[/b]

Well, now that you mention it...

Here&#39;s ya boy. :lol:

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/fp_kencheteweng1.jpg
[/b]
Well thar ya go! Him kinda special-lookin..... :huh:
:pointlaugh:

[/b]
I was thinkin&#39; the same thang. Could have just used Encarta and found out more.... <_<

What a baby! For someone&#39;s who so into stereotypes, he just sorta disspelled the whole "Asians are smart" stereotype.
[/b]
"Dee-tee-dee..."
Mind of Mencia, 06

mstnt
03-05-2007, 05:44 AM
It&#39;s really sad because as minorities we should band together whether than be so divided. We could help each other.

But anyway, I never really had any problems with Asian folks. But it does seem that many of them seperate themselves from other races. Whether it be black folks, hispanic folks, or white folks. Now, I&#39;m not saying that this is true about all Asians because I really hate stereotypes. But it is somewhat true.

And I could understand the gentlemans sentiments about racial remarks made about Asians. But at the same time if you are against racial stereotypes and predjudice, but then you turn around and do the same thing. Then it makes you seem like a hyprocrite. Either you against prejudice or your not.

In regard to his arguement about African American Christians. What about Asian Americans that are Christians??? Are they weak-minded too????

Personally, I have no beef with Asian folks. I just look at the individual. ;)

But what the heck do they think a meeting is going to do. People that are racist can&#39;t get rehabilitated. You can change the rules, punish people for their unfair actions. But you can not change hearts by having a meeting.
[/b]

No offense but "minorities" are never gonna come together so we should do as they do and look for ourselves.

IA with the Christianity part but he obviously has problems, Besides they don&#39;t hate us hell we put them through school (buyin plastic hair and eating their food) so they better love us.

Scribetastic
03-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Ohmygod...Kenneth Eng is crazy. :huh: :unsure:

Someone just mailed me this link who read my blog on his writing.

Here he is on FoxNews babbling away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4fjMhGn-I

:lol:

NLight1
03-09-2007, 07:27 PM

[/b]
Girl why in da hell is he talking about dragons :lol: :lol: He is a nut!!! Trying to promote his book. He seems "special." Talking bout he is God of the universe. He talks so fast and weird, dude is a schzo :rolleyes:

Scribetastic
03-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Girl why in da hell is he talking about dragons :lol: :lol: He is a nut!!! Trying to promote his book. He seems "special." Talking bout he is God of the universe. He talks so fast and weird, dude is a schzo :rolleyes:
[/b]
:lol: He&#39;s a nutjob. I had to put this YouTube clip up on my Eng post just because "pow"! That&#39;s really all you need to see.

He&#39;s talking about dragons because that&#39;s what his book is about. They ripped him a new one over at the Table of Malcontents blog on Wired.com: The Narrative Stylings of "Kenneth Eng, God" (http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2007/02/the_narrative_s.html). I thought it was particularly funny that he pushed being a published writer as a plus to pitch himself as freelancer for comics. That didn&#39;t go over well and his response was insane.

The angry asian man&#39;s (http://www.angryasianman.com/angry.html) comments on this guy have me cracking up:

Wow. This has to be seen to be believed. "Asian Supremacist" and dragon-obsessed Kenneth Eng, who, if you haven&#39;t heard, "hates blacks," finally comes out of hiding to say all sorts of crazy things on Fox News. And man, the guy is just straight-up insane, like from the fourth dimension: Kenneth Eng. The guy asks him about his racist column and Eng starts going on about... dragons? Awesome. Gibson must have been thinking, "Where the hell did we dig up this freak?" Something is seriously wrong with Kenneth Eng. But we already knew that. Now we just have it captured on video.[/b]

At least it&#39;s making this deary Saturday morning entertaining. I&#39;m sick and the laughing is helping cough up icky stuff, so I guess Eng has some value :blush:

Time for another cup of tea. ^_^

Serbbral
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
gee, i&#39;m shocked. :rolleyes:

most people think african-decended people are the lowest. sorry, that&#39;s how it is.

i thought the part about black easily accepting christianity was quite funny.

but then he also wrote something called - why i hate asians - so we&#39;re all even.

don&#39;t see any point in asking for an apology from him or the newspaper. people should be thankful when others show their true selves.
[/b]

:rolleyes: I don&#39;t know why so many BLACK people don&#39;t seem to comprehend this either. It does not mean that you have to allow people to be blatantly disrespectful to you, but at the same time, why be surprised or shocked when things like this happen. MOST people DO think of blacks as the lowest of the low and it is what it is.

Ama
03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
:lol: He&#39;s a nutjob. I had to put this YouTube clip up on my Eng post just because "pow"! That&#39;s really all you need to see.

He&#39;s talking about dragons because that&#39;s what his book is about. They ripped him a new one over at the Table of Malcontents blog on Wired.com: The Narrative Stylings of "Kenneth Eng, God" (http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2007/02/the_narrative_s.html). I thought it was particularly funny that he pushed being a published writer as a plus to pitch himself as freelancer for comics. That didn&#39;t go over well and his response was insane.

The angry asian man&#39;s (http://www.angryasianman.com/angry.html) comments on this guy have me cracking up:
At least it&#39;s making this deary Saturday morning entertaining. I&#39;m sick and the laughing is helping cough up icky stuff, so I guess Eng has some value :blush:

Time for another cup of tea. ^_^
[/b]
That&#39;s the very reason I can&#39;t even get angry at this guy.

Kadeepoo
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM

[/b]
:huh:

he&#39;s a blithering idiot! :lol:

Originally posted by Ama
That&#39;s the very reason I can&#39;t even get angry at this guy.
ditto.

swingbolder
03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Hilarious youtube response to Kenneth Eng interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcUsHRUqJK4

Scribetastic
03-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Hilarious youtube response to Kenneth Eng interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcUsHRUqJK4
[/b]
I saw her reply and fell out laughing because it&#39;s just ridiculous. A sweater with a dragon crest, a crazy wig, foil and a kazoo!

bohemienne
03-15-2007, 12:29 PM
In all honesty I believe one of his primary reasons for writing that piece was for attention. He was only 22 years old, and substantial success within journalism industry was still well beyond his reach. Skilled or not, it&#39;s a fierce workforce and getting attention/recognition is the prime focus of virtually all journalists and/or writers.

Believe me, I know...*sigh* (sophomore writing major checking in...lol)

That, and he sounds a bit "off"...that video clip is, um, :unsure: .

sunnysmile751
03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow. I hadn&#39;t seen that video. I think something is wrong him, like mentally. I&#39;ve totally disregarded what he wrote now.

BlakMagic
03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
:unsure: :rolleyes:

WTF? Why is this dude writing in the first place? And why the hell is he talking about dragons?

C&#39;mon anybody can tell that some of his cheese has slid of the cracker. <_<

...Wannabe psuedo-intellectual pr*ck...