PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss/ Hair Pulling And The Salon

Azion264
03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
For those of you who are hair pullers, or have alopecia/hair loss; what have your salon experiences been? I have been a hair puller since high school (more than 10 years! ) The severity of it ebbs and flows, but there is always, and may always be, a variety of bald/short spots in my hair. I generally do my own hair, but occasionally I go to a salon for trims, braids or special occasions.

I haven't found a salon that I liked, so I always end up trying new stylists and having to deal with the anxiety of having to explain my strange hair breakage. I tell the stylist right off the bat that I have some severe breakage in the back that's due to [insert fake explanation]. My fake explanations are 1- reaction to medication, 2-hereditary hair loss, 3-stress. I usually pick 1 or 2 b/c there are rarely follow-up questions to those :P

How do you all deal with going to new stylists when you have hair loss? Do you tell them what the real cause is (especially for the pullers?) Do you feel the need to explain your hair loss before you start or do you just assume that stylists see hair in all sorts of conditions and no explanation should be necessary.

:pop:

LadyEve
03-03-2007, 01:38 AM
For those of you who are hair pullers, or have alopecia/hair loss; what have your salon experiences been? I have been a hair puller since high school (more than 10 years! ) The severity of it ebbs and flows, but there is always, and may always be, a variety of bald/short spots in my hair. I generally do my own hair, but occasionally I go to a salon for trims, braids or special occasions.

I haven't found a salon that I liked, so I always end up trying new stylists and having to deal with the anxiety of having to explain my strange hair breakage. I tell the stylist right off the bat that I have some severe breakage in the back that's due to [insert fake explanation]. My fake explanations are 1- reaction to medication, 2-hereditary hair loss, 3-stress. I usually pick 1 or 2 b/c there are rarely follow-up questions to those :P

How do you all deal with going to new stylists when you have hair loss? Do you tell them what the real cause is (especially for the pullers?) Do you feel the need to explain your hair loss before you start or do you just assume that stylists see hair in all sorts of conditions and no explanation should be necessary.

:pop:
[/b]

I stay away from salons generally, since I have my own hair in corn rows and wear a wig to work. I have bald temples over both ears and I was born this way. My father was also born this way. Long ago when I used fire cream in my hair, I usually did it by myself. I hated hair stylist because they would hound me to death while they fixed my hair with questions like (Were you born like that?) (Are all your family like that?) (Did wearing eyeglasses cause that?), and they went on and on, in the meanwhile other clients are looking at you like you are a circus freak. I usually said I was born with it. Then I got so tired of the questions and I began to do my own hair. Now I am glad I am nappy, no more problems with people up in my business. :) I do not know why hair stylists feel it is their God given right to know your business. Why can't they just shut up and do your hair? :Angry: I guess that is why they know all their client's personal business, they are too nosey and they talk too much. :)