PDA

View Full Version : Very Dry Skin- suggestions?

cocoagirl
03-15-2003, 03:43 AM
I seem to have very dry skin year round, currently I am using nasabb's black soap on my body for washing and that doesn't seem to be helping. I follow up with coconut oil and shea butter but it is not moisturizing and by the middle of the day, my skin is back to extremely dry. What lotions/oils/whatever do you use that are moisturizing and can alleviate some of this dryness :?:

Sister1
03-15-2003, 03:47 PM
cocoagirl:

What ever one uses on their skin as you know is a matter of personal preference. What you have been using sounds cool but perhaps you may need to try something else. Generally for folks with say eczema preparations like Eucerin, Keri Lotion are recommended. Also, some have found bathing in Avena powder helps relieve dry skin. After showering or bathing, try not to completely dry your skin; keep it slightly moist, then apply your lotion to your skin.

Overall, this is the time of year for dry skin, due to the lack of moisture in the air. How much water are you drinking a day? I think also, you might consider having the condition of your skin evaluated by your medical provider. Often times there is a physical cause for dry skin, and no lotion will help the skin until the medical condition is dealt with first. People who have underactive thyroid glands (hypothyrodism) can have very dry skin amongst many other symptoms until diagnosed and treated.

Hope that helps.

z3000zee
03-15-2003, 04:07 PM
cocoagirl:

After showering or bathing, try not to completely dry your skin; keep it slightly moist, then apply your lotion to your skin.

I also had very dry skin. applying body butter immediately after my shower appears to be the most effective technique.

What lotions/oils/whatever do you use that are moisturizing and can alleviate some of this dryness

whether you make your own or purchase from others, water should definetely be tops on the list. just like our hair, water is the best moisturizer. the other ingredients help seal in the moisture and/or soften the skin. i make my own body butter. some of the ingredients i use are jojoba oil, shea butter, and glycerin. the glycerin helps seal in the moisture.

-Z

strawwberryz
03-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Palmers cocoabutter and luke-warm not hot short showers.

dayna
03-15-2003, 08:58 PM
I seem to have very dry skin year round, currently I am using nasabb's black soap on my body for washing and that doesn't seem to be helping. I follow up with coconut oil and shea butter but it is not moisturizing and by the middle of the day, my skin is back to extremely dry. What lotions/oils/whatever do you use that are moisturizing and can alleviate some of this dryness :?:

Which brand of shea butter are you using? I think some are better than others. For instance, shea butter from the Mode de Vie line is great for dry skin. The stuff is pricey, though. It's over 18 dollars for 4 ozs where I live, and more on their website. But when you find something that works, sometimes you gotta spend the money.

http://www.modedeviebodycare.com/modedevie.html

lilkinkyc
03-15-2003, 10:13 PM
I too am wondering about you water intake. About how much water are you drinking a day?

nubian indigo
03-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes, this time of the year can be extremely brutal for folks that tend to have very dry skin. Me included...that's one of the MANY reasons why I make my own skin butter...and it has worked wonders... 8) All Day Softness...No More Winter Itch / Summer Dry UpsTo be availiable in a Natural Care Store near you soon...LOL... :lol:

I'm not kidding... :idea:

Anywayzzz...it sounds as though you are using excellent base products to combat your dry skin condition. I would cut out the cocobutter though and just stick with the shea...shea will feed your skin with more ease than the cocobutter will.

Water seems to be the key here for you, you must drink much more of it...like 3/4 of a gallon if possible...it sure can't hurt... :idea:

HTH

BushBaby
03-16-2003, 05:27 AM
I was reading essence and I saw an ad from Jergens. They have a new product called "Ash relief" suppose to be be ashy skin (which was said to be especially created for african-american needs).
Might check it out when it comes out.

Fansia
03-16-2003, 10:02 AM
almond oil and jojoba oil
lots of water, fruit and vegetables (juice).

Felicitous
03-17-2003, 12:24 AM
You may also want to test your water for chlorine or other harsh additives. I also suffer from dry skin and use black soap along with shea butter to combat the dryness, however, it wasnt until I bought my shower filter did everything change!

HTH

cocoagirl
03-17-2003, 04:19 AM
Thx, y'all. I am going to the store about the water filter tomorrow.

@Sister1, thx..you made me think of something I hadn't thought of, my scalp is also very dry and I never associated it with having dry skin. I am meeting a doctor to talk about thyroid issues and the such, hopefully I can put at end to this.

thanks er'body.

lone star
03-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Bush Baby:

I saw that ad in Essence, too, about the ash relief lotion. I was looking at it thinking should I be offended with the name and it being geared towards African Americans? (didn't mean to hijack).
[/quote]

Sister1
03-19-2003, 03:42 AM
@cocoagirl:

Glad to hear your having yourself checked medical wise. If everything is ok on that end, I do agree with everyone re: possible hard water, versus overall moisture relief of dry skin. Good luck!

Ammee
03-20-2003, 04:01 PM
i also have very dry skin and the product that worked best for me was palmers cocoa butter.

blakgirl
03-20-2003, 06:15 PM
i use a coconut oil and cocoa butter mix i made and it has done wonders for my skin. i apply right after i get out of the shower to seal the moisture in and it continues to moisturize all day. from what you said, i don't know if that would work for you.

i also saw the ad for Jergens' new product in ESSENCE called Ash Relief. it's made with cocoa and shea butter to moisturize and beta hydroxy to exfoliate. i suspect if you looked at the bottle, the first ingredient would be water [i like water, but not as the first ingredient. i have my own water], but you can always use their science to make your own formula [i.e., exfoliate once a week with a salt scrub or something and moisturize with a homemade mix of shea and cocoa butter].

blak.