PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC Marathon

skegee94
03-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Calling DC Nappturals!!
Next Sunday, March 23rd, I will be in your fair city, running the second annual Washington DC Marathon--my first one! I'll be wearing a red cap, so you probably won't see my naps, but if you're going to be in the city that morning, I could use some cheering around mile 20 (actually, any point from mile 16 to 26.2), as I will probably be near death at that point. The race starts at 7:30 am, and I anticipate finishing in about 3:40. Hope to see some nappturals out there!...If not in the race, at least cheering us on!
Thanks!

naps4sure
03-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Hey Skeegee,

I wish you the best! I ran the San Diego marathon in January. Yeah the last 6.2 miles are tough. Nothing compares to crossing that finish line though...... you can do this!

skegee94
03-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanks! I'm just starting to get nervous. I want to do well and not get injured. And I don't want it to get disrupted with war protests, etc. (with it being in the nation's capital and everything). I'm ready to be done with training though, so bring it on!

kopper
03-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Hi Skegee94 & Naps4sure (long time no talk),

Little Rock, AR is having their very first Marathon May 4th. I was really excited, and still am but I encountered some personal issues that threw off my training :cry: . Anyway, a group of us gather each Saturday and cover a set # of miles. Well, I missed a total of 6 Saturday of training and I haven't really been training on my own. I started retraining today w/ the group and felt so out of place. Missing those 6 weeks really hurt. The LR Marathon is in approximately 2 months. Should I throw in the towel? Will 2 months be enough time to retrain?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but good luck and let us know how it goes. Take care.

skegee94
03-16-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi Kopper!
Glad there are some more runners out there! Whether or not you should do the marathon depends on how much running you've been doing all along. Generally, I'd say that eight weeks probably isn't enough time to prepare to run an injury-free marathon. My own training has been 16 weeks, and that doesn't include all the shorter races I did before beginning the program. But, in the DC marathon (and others) you can do it as a relay, so investigate whether LR has that option, because then you and a group could share the distance! Or do a Half Marathon or 10K instead, and start training for a summer or fall marathon. I'll report back next Monday on my experience. Thanks for the positive vibes!

kopper
03-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Skeege94, Deep down I knew 8 weeks wouldn't be enough time. Do you watch UPN's Girlfriends? There was one episode about Joan attempting to run a marathon after training for only one month. She was nervous but very determined. After runnine ONE mile, her boyfriend was CARRYING her back to the START line! It was really funny b/c I was thinking how that could be me b/c i was retraining! The Marathon does offer a two and four person relay, also a 5 or 10k run. I'll probably do that and just try and prepare for next years marathon. I'm still determined. I just need to learn how to stay focused whenever I encounter setbacks.

Take care. I think it's really admirable you and Naps4Sure doing a marathon.