PDA

View Full Version : Raw (Live) Foodist Recipes

CrazeeDCoil
03-15-2003, 11:15 AM
I am currently interested in the raw foodist diet and would like to find out about some of the recipes that people eat. If they sound good it will definately help me on my way to becoming a raw foodist, or at least incorporating more into my diet. It will be pretty difficult for me because I really do like meats and hate salads and things like that. But it does sound like a pretty healthy lifestyle.

Please add any recipes that you use! Thanks so much!

khamedra19
03-15-2003, 03:27 PM
It will be pretty difficult for me because I really do like meats and hate salads and things like that.

If you feel this way, then you may be setting yourself up for failure. How about transitioning through a vegetarian, then vegan to raw diet?

BTW, I peeped your afro. I like it!!

CrazeeDCoil
03-15-2003, 07:55 PM
It does make more sense to slide into it gradually. But for some reason the idea of vegetarianism and veganism (are those isms?) doesn't really appeal to me. Which I know makes absolutely no sense at all. But I thinkI will take your advice and give it a whirl. Needless to say, I would definately like to incorporate more of these healthier diets into what I eat already, and weed out the junk. So, I would still be interested in any raw food, vegan, or vegetarain recipes. Esp. the raw food ones though, because it is hard for me to fathom what a raw meal would be like that isn't just salads. If anyone does post any, rest assured that you won't waste your time. I WILL try them. At the very least, they will be an improvement to my current diet and good alternatives.

:D Thanks for the fro compliment! I was just telling my sister today that I feel like I look like a little old dude. LoL :lol: The shrinkage is crazeeness! :D I have some new pics to put up soon...but i'm a slacker... so it may be a while :?

afrikankween
03-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Raw Spaghetti

2 medium green zuccini, as thick (fat) and straight as possible.

“Spiralize” in “Saladacco (Spiral Slicer)”, or similar machine. Shredded zuccini can work also, but the authentic “pasta effect” is not as notable.

Arrange on plate similar to pasta.

Pasta Sauce
10-12 “sundried” tomatoes, allow to soak for several minutes in warm water to soften.
1 large fresh tomato
1 large red pepper
1-2 stalks of celery
1 clove garlic
(4-5 fresh basil leaves)

Blend all of the sauce ingredients in a blender or Food Processor. Add the soaked sundried tomatoes last, a few at a time.

Pour nicely over the zucchini “pasta”. Some fresh curly parsley sprinkled over the top adds a nice touch!

Other Options
Make a sauce of raw tahini, lime juice, and a little water to drizzle on the top for extra taste and presentation.

Add pieces of sprouted sunflower patties on top of the dish as “meatballs”.

CrazeeDCoil
03-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks Afrikankween! That sounds like it would be really tasty. What is tahini?

Fansia
03-16-2003, 09:06 AM
i love http://www.living-foods.com
that website has soooooo much info and recipes.

my hub is not into vegan, raw, vegetarian food unfortunately so it´s difficult for me to be a rawfoodist. :?

khamedra19
03-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Tahini is a butter made from ground sesame seeds. Make sure you buy the raw version.

CrazeeDCoil
03-17-2003, 01:28 AM
I made the zucchini spaghetti tonite. It was really good. My husband even liked it although he said it wasn't like the food he used to eat when he was a vegetarian. He was used to cheeses and stuff. But it didn't stop him from having two heaping plates full :D The only thins is I later realized I forgot to put in the red pepper. But it still tasted quite good. I used my rotato to make the zucchini spirals. Thanks for the recipe!

I'll look for tahini at the health food store! I can't even imagine what that one tastes like.

blackeyes
03-17-2003, 06:06 AM
The zucchini spaghetti sounds good, I'll try it someday soon.

khamedra19
03-17-2003, 10:07 PM
One of my favorite raw dishes is called 'Raw Thai Stir Live'

4 cups of purple cabbage, chopped
2 cups of cauliflower, chopped
1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups of white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
1 avacado, diced
1-2 inches ginger, grated
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs. lemon zest (the grated peel of a lemon)
4 tbs nama shoyu or tamari sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 pinch cayenne pepper
4 tbs maple syrup or 2 tbs raw honey diluted in 1 tbs water

You just mix all the ingredients in a bowl and eat. It's absolutely delicious. Matter of fact, I'm going to have this for dinner along with my baked sweet potato.

khamedra19
03-17-2003, 10:10 PM
This recipe is for raw marinated mushrooms. When the mushrooms soak, they get real soft and (texture wise) it's difficult to tell they've not been cooked.

1/2 cup of nama shoyu or tamari sauce
1/2 cup of water
2 cups sliced or diced mushrooms (Any kind you like. I like oyster and shittake)
Garlic powder (optional)
1/3 cup of olive oil

This was too salty for me. So, I added 2 tbs of maple syrup to cut the salt. Let it sit for a few hours so the mushrooms are saturated with the marinade.

CrazeeDCoil
03-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks Khamedra19!

These recipes look great too! I'll try them this weekend if I get the chance.
Question, though: Doesn't the maple syrup make it too sweet or stand out from the other flavors? or is it more subtle?

khamedra19
03-18-2003, 02:08 AM
Thanks Khamedra19!

These recipes look great too! I'll try them this weekend if I get the chance.
Question, though: Doesn't the maple syrup make it too sweet or stand out from the other flavors? or is it more subtle?

No, the maple syrup doesn't make it too sweet. I should add here that you want to use 100% pure, raw maple syrup. That's a completely different animal from the chain grocery store syrup (which often have additional sweeteners added). The sweetness of the maple syrup perfectly balances salty tastes.