PDA

View Full Version : Can a BROTHA get some HELP?

LOCKN_IN_AZ
02-19-2004, 02:58 AM
OK, I'm finally on my way I have started locing from my comb twist it has only been a week and I got crazy frizzies. I still got another week till I see my stylist. I envy sista's cuz if yall have a bad hair day yall can wrap it up. I was just wondering if any of yall know of anything that a Brotha can do to help with the in between stages. fyi I'm not sure if I can pull off a head wrap. (I'm a pretty big dude)

thanks

Debonaire
02-19-2004, 03:05 AM
well just in general having fuzzy hair is something that comes along with natural hair. but if you deep condition an duse aloe vera styling gel that may help a little. i've also used a combination of aloe vera gel and pure glycerin to help hold back the fuzzyness of my hair. i hope this helps a little

p.s. i don't have locs but it may work for you anyways

aquababie19
02-19-2004, 03:24 AM
well lockin, fuzzies are gonna be part of the process for a while. don't worry about it. tying your head at night might help some. but using aloe vera can help. but since they are babies, you don't want to manipulate much

Patrina
02-19-2004, 04:03 AM
LOCKN_IN_AZ-- I am going to tell you something that is going to be vital in the keeping of your locs. . . . are you ready?. . . .you sure. . . . STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM CONDITIONER!!! My bad I didn't mean to yell but I can't stand by and allow a fellow locer to use conditioner on baby locs. That will cure the frizzies alright BUT it will also loosen your locs something awful. Remember stay away from the conditioner.

Like aquababie19 said, little manipulation and tying your hair at night will helps tons. I know most guys don't wear anything on their hair at night but the headtie is your friend. For me, it allowed me to barely squeeze out two weeks before I have to retwist again.

If you are a big dude wear that thing with pride and if anyone says anything off the wall show em a bicep or something. :razz And I hate to say it but frizzies are an integral part of the locing process. You either go with or suffer against it (like shrinkage but that's another thread).

Try to last for the next week and then visit your loctitian. What I used to do when I first noticed the frizzies was twirling my finger around the loc (not twisting it because twisting dry is a sin) catching some of the loose hairs so that it looked neater. Give yourself some time. . . you will grow to love the frizzies. HTH

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

LOCKN_IN_AZ
02-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks Pat

What do yall think about brotha's wearing headwraps? (like Sway on MTV) is that Sexy, or what?

I'm not sure. I know I couldnt pull it of @ work but maybee on the weekends...

I ain't tryin to look like I just got out of jail or HOMO THUG

Peace, Luv, Respect

Sonryse
02-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Personally, I dont like to see a man in headwraps..that's just me. :duck

sarakh
02-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Peace brotha,
You know Bobo Ashanti brothas (Rastafarian) wear headwraps and they look very regal. I think you should try it though. It couldn't hurt.
Oh yeah, I'm in AZ too!

hapnap_27
02-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Sonryse@Feb 19 2004, 12:48 AM
Personally, I dont like to see a man in headwraps..that's just me. :duck
My thoughts exactly.

Sonryse
02-19-2004, 06:53 AM
IT IS so nice to see peeps from my homestate here on NP!!! hey yall!!!

NaturallyJade
02-19-2004, 12:53 PM
I have seen a few men wearing wraps. I like it. There will always be some people that do not like your style. Do what you like, who cares what others might think.

I spray my hair several times daily. I get the frizzies but i know it is all part of the process. I always cover my hair at night. There are some that don't cover their hair but sleep on a satin pillow.

saga30311
02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
I'm not loc'd, but I think some brothers look really good with headwraps, and some don't. I think if you're not, er - ah...
"Metrosexual"-looking from the neck down, the headwrap won't make you look like a Homo Thug - IMHO.... I think you can pull this look off :app :thumbsup

:offtopic
there's nothing I hate more than some pretty-boy in a suit or extremely "gangsta" looking clothes, who adds a headwrap to look more "street" or "thuggish" - makes the outfit SCREAM "I'm conscious - really I am - just look at my head!!!" :nohuh :nohuh :nohuh Please - don't do that!

Schiffon
02-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Since you seem uncomfortable with the idea of wearing a headwrap you can wear a tam. A tam will cover your head and come in a variety of styles.

aquababie19
02-19-2004, 02:25 PM
my bf can get away with a headwrap....not like sway's though. totally forgot about the tam@ schiffon. good idea!

LotsOfLocs
02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Many men wear headwraps especially Rastas and they look good. You dont have to wear head wraps especially if you are trying to hide. Just accept the locing process for what it is. Locs are not instant. Locs IMO dont have an in between or messy stage.

alma2254
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I agree with the comments on frizzies -the sooner you get used to it, the better you'll feel about the locing process. No poiunt stressing over it. Its a normal part of the process.

Mzfitbodi Posted on Feb 19 2004, 12:53 PM
I have seen a few men wearing wraps. I like it. There will always be some people that do not like your style. Do what you like, who cares what others might think.

I agree -its your time to experiment with your style, so go with what you like to do! I personally think head wraps on men look :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup .

Schiffon Posted on Feb 19 2004, 01:25 PM
Since you seem uncomfortable with the idea of wearing a headwrap you can wear a tam. A tam will cover your head and come in a variety of styles.

...and there are some beautiful choices of tams out there so have a look.

I like to wrap my loose hairs around the nearest loc when I want to neaten it up. And aloe vera gel is good to do this with.

Enjoy the experience! :heart

blacque_gurl
02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by LOCKN_IN_AZ@Feb 19 2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks Pat

What do yall think about brotha's wearing headwraps? (like Sway on MTV) is that Sexy, or what?

I don't see anything wrong with guys wearing headwraps. Just wear it with confidence! Like MzFitbodi said, there will always be haters, u just gotta do u. As Schiffon mentioned, Tams are also a great alternative.

I also feel what LotsOfLocs is saying too. Make sure u're not constantly covering your head (or running to the loctician) to get away from the frizzies or whatever other turns your locs will take. If u do, u will do yourself a great injustice. The journey is so much more rewarding and meaningful once u learn to genuinely embrace what's growing from your head and luv every strand of it, whether it's super frizzy or sticking straight up/out. Blessings on your journey.

:lol :lol :lol

Patrina
02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LOCKN_IN_AZ@Feb 19 2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks Pat

I'm not sure. I know I couldnt pull it of @ work but maybee on the weekends...

Peace, Luv, Respect
Maybe I am getting you confused. When you say headwrap do you mean something you wear everyday to combat/hide the frizzies or a headtie you wear at night to keep your hair from looking like a tornado went through it in the morning? I was talking about the latter.

Personally, showing frizz is more sexy to me than wearing anything on your head because, IMO, it let's me know that you are embracing your locs. . . frizz and all. But that is just me. Like someone said earlier tams are nice and can be very colorful.

I know this is going to be kinda hard but put it out of your mind. Rock your baby locs for the rest of the week like your King Locs or something and then get them retwisted. HTH

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

FreedomPlease
02-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I would suggest wearing something on your head at night...that helps a lot.

feepee
02-19-2004, 03:54 PM
i'm not locing but i wear coils and twists for weeks at a time. as far as your frizzies problem, i don't really know cuz i like my frizzies. i get mine from rinsing my hair almost daily and not messing with my hair for a good week or two. i still cover my hair at night tho.

as far as wearing a headwrap, it depends on if it's you. i've seen women and men try to pull this off and it just looked odd cuz it wasn't really them. a tam would be a great alternative and i believe you can still wear that to work with no problems.

i wear headwraps on the regular now to work and it's not an issue here at the credit union. or everyday coverup it's usually one of my hats. more than likely a kango or newsboy style hat. that could work for you as well.

my ex was rasta and wore his (highly matured, free form) locs in crochet hats all the time. i thought it was very sexy.

Sunchild
02-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Headwraps on brothas are regal looking, as long as its not the bun kind.... I think that looks kind of um.....well you know.

My S.O wraps his head on most days its nothing effeminate about it at all.

Sonryse
02-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Feb 19 2004, 11:13 AM
as long as its not the bun kind.... I think that looks kind of um.....well you know.

ITA!!!

Sunchild
02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
http://www.jamaicans.com/culture/rasta/images/capleton_bobo.jpg

http://www.rastafaritoday.com/images/ab.gif

http://www.info-ghana.com/bobogifty.jpg

alma2254
02-19-2004, 08:39 PM
afrikankween- great pics!

Sonryse
02-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Now, I like those wraps on men. I think they are cute.

troublefunk
02-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey dude don't even worry about it man. Frizzy hair is just part of the process. Most of us have stressed ourselves about it at some point but we all have learned to embrace it. And ain't nothing wrong with wearing a headwrap or bandanna or tam or something like that. Just don't do it all the time. You're head's gotta breathe. And like Patrina said, stay away from the shampoos and conditioners until your hair has matured a little bit. You'll be aiight...

stillwater09
02-19-2004, 08:54 PM
it's about how you wear it...and yah, don't wear the bun :lol most of all get used the the frizz!

and sway...yum...those head wraps and tams he wears...love em. try it!

Llyons
02-19-2004, 10:20 PM
My hair started the frizzies after my 1st week also. It's something that I just had to get used to.
By wrapping my hair at night, it eliminates some of the frizzies.

ini
02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
I personally love a man in a headwrap...makes him look like a King.

LOCKN_IN_AZ
02-20-2004, 01:28 AM
thanks,

I guess for now I'mma rock my frizz

sonshinescoils
02-20-2004, 01:31 AM
you do that baby. be who you is...

Aswadah
02-20-2004, 04:00 AM
When I see a brotha in a headwrap it makes me look twice. They look strong, sexy, confident, and royal. They also look very wise, which is super attractive to me. You have to wear it with confidence an d pride though. And because you're a big dude...that's a plus. Rock dat wrap man. It's your world!

aquababie19
02-20-2004, 03:02 PM
embrace the fuzzies!!! :)

InspiredLocs
02-20-2004, 04:52 PM
The fuzzies will tame eventually, but you'll be fuzzy for quite a while. Don't sweat it.

If you want to wear headwraps, go for it! It's your hair and you are free to sport it and wear accessories as you desire. That's part of the fun! Enjoy!!!

concrete
02-20-2004, 05:04 PM
anyone know a good place to buy long headwraps, one's i've seen look short

LotsOfLocs
02-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Concrete,

The fabric store or the African/Rasta shops who sell the knit wraps.

concrete
02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
i stay in the country :( right now...

i was hoping for a good website i can order from

stillwater09
02-21-2004, 12:54 AM
http://naanishoppe.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=D&srch=DD

has some

PrincessDrRe
02-28-2004, 03:54 AM
I used to work at Wally World yall....One quick bit of advice.....

Hit the $1 bin! There are countless colors and prints that can be used for all forms of headwraps! You can use them over and over and wash....or even throw it away it's so cheap. Depending on the width of the fabric and how big you want the wrap to be, start with anything from 1 1/2 yards to 3 yards. The stretchier the material, the less you'll need.....$1 bin yall !!!

bigmalik
02-28-2004, 04:41 AM
That "Wild Child" stage is a B......

On the headwrap note... there's a brotha from Slum Village who keeps one on lock. Here's a few pics of 'em...

http://endorph.sevcom.com/baatin.jpg http://endorph.sevcom.com/baatin5.jpg

Personally, I have a black wrap one myself and will rock it (tie up with a ball in tha back) in a minute. However I have to agree that tams are more convenient/masculine.

Live nappy or die,

-Malik
http://bigmalik.com

Natural Stylist
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Is this guy even on the site anymore. I would love to hook a brotha up! We both live in AZ